picking a class with lower than the required attributes

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daeglan
Adventurer

Re: picking a class with lower than the required attributes

Unread post by Daeglan »

wittie2m wrote:I cant actually find a ruling on this, but is it possible to play a class you dont have the attribute requirements for, but then use skills to boost them to the minimum?

One of the flaws of the system. You should be picking class then rolling. As for example True Atlanteans used different numbers of dice. :)

This is one of those it is up to your GM what happens. Not like Kevin is going to beat you with a ruler for doing something different.
Check out my photography http://daeglan.imagekind.com
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Just raise the required attribute to the minimum required by the class. I'm not aware of any class that required attributes high enough to get bonuses, so raising, for instance, PE from 9 to 12 in order to be a Temporal Wizard is a non-issue in my opinion. The 3 extra HP and 3 PPE isn't going to unbalance the game in the least.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

flatline wrote: ...Temporal Wizard...
--flatline

I see your posts and just look for where you say Temporal Wizard now. :P
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
flatline
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:
flatline wrote: ...Temporal Wizard...
--flatline

I see your posts and just look for where you say Temporal Wizard now. :P

It's the only class that I know an attribute requirement for off the top of my head.

But your point still stands.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

While I wouldn't touch a temporal wizard with a 20 foot cattle prod.

I actually fully agree with Flatline on this one. Just raise the attribute to the required minimum. Easiest all around, and as he pointed out. It's not going to make much if any difference long run, and you get to play what you want to play. :)

That being said, if you're like a butter troll or something, don't choose the prostitute class and up your app to that minimum. Use some common sense.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

flatline wrote:Just raise the required attribute to the minimum required by the class. I'm not aware of any class that required attributes high enough to get bonuses, so raising, for instance, PE from 9 to 12 in order to be a Temporal Wizard is a non-issue in my opinion. The 3 extra HP and 3 PPE isn't going to unbalance the game in the least.

--flatline

I allow this as well. If the guy had his heart set on playing a Temporal Wizard and rolled a 9, Id allow him to just raise to the minimum.

Its not like Palladium thought through any attribute under 15 anyway, so raising to 12 is irrelevant to the overall impact of the game.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Kagashi wrote:Its not like Palladium thought through any attribute under 15 anyway.

I still cry about this. :badbad:
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

wittie2m wrote:I cant actually find a ruling on this, but is it possible to play a class you dont have the attribute requirements for, but then use skills to boost them to the minimum?

No, it isn't unless the GM decided to let you anyway. the minimum attribute requirements are just that. if you don't meet the minimum you have to play something else.

This is precicely why juicer-crazy-cyborg modifications are a huge deal-in setting. There are a lot of people who want to be powerful and special and don't qualify for any of the cool classes that are because they just arn't good enough. so they take the shortcut. I imagine juicer ranks are full of people who wanted to be robot pilots or gunslingers or battle magus's and just didn't make the cut.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I'd allow one of two things (or both if it's really needed):
1) Swap the attribute score with another one.
2) Plus up the low score, but subtract the same amount from one or more others.

Players get to choose practically everything about their characters, I see no reason for them not to be able to influence the attributes as well. (Notice I said 'influence' not 'pick all 30s across the board.')
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
flatline
Knight

Mack wrote:I'd allow one of two things (or both if it's really needed):
1) Swap the attribute score with another one.
2) Plus up the low score, but subtract the same amount from one or more others.

Players get to choose practically everything about their characters, I see no reason for them not to be able to influence the attributes as well. (Notice I said 'influence' not 'pick all 30s across the board.')

I knew a group where all the PCs had improbably high stats even though the players swore up and down that they were rolled legit. The players were good players and everyone had a great time, but it still bothered the GM. I told him not to worry about it because except for PP (and PS, if supernatural), stats impact a Rifts game very little.

To prove my point, when I had a chance to play with them, I brought in a character with straight 10's for attributes (except where the OCC minimums required a higher value) and things went just fine.

--flatline

Alrik Vas
Knight

flatline wrote:I knew a group where all the PCs had improbably high stats even though the players swore up and down that they were rolled legit. The players were good players and everyone had a great time, but it still bothered the GM. I told him not to worry about it because except for PP (and PS, if supernatural), stats impact a Rifts game very little.

To prove my point, when I had a chance to play with them, I brought in a character with straight 10's for attributes (except where the OCC minimums required a higher value) and things went just fine.

--flatline

I think you'd have to admit, sir, that it has a great deal to do with your play style and class choices over the mechanics that pertain to other classes and play styles. I only say so because i assume you played a spell caster or one sort or another. They especially don't really benefit from obscene stats (though they do gain the same benefits as everyone else from them, they just don't impact their specialty because using magic isn't based off stats for the most part).

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I let the player bump them up, but only if they rolled for each attribute as opposed to placing them where they want. With the penalties and compensation for attributes less than 7, I would naturally wait to see which attributes (if any) get a bump. In my experience, play style always makes up for low numbers and then some. :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
flatline
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:
flatline wrote:I knew a group where all the PCs had improbably high stats even though the players swore up and down that they were rolled legit. The players were good players and everyone had a great time, but it still bothered the GM. I told him not to worry about it because except for PP (and PS, if supernatural), stats impact a Rifts game very little.

--flatline

I think you'd have to admit, sir, that it has a great deal to do with your play style and class choices over the mechanics that pertain to other classes and play styles. I only say so because i assume you played a spell caster or one sort or another. They especially don't really benefit from obscene stats (though they do gain the same benefits as everyone else from them, they just don't impact their specialty because using magic isn't based off stats for the most part).

I don't disagree with anything you've said here, but I would like to point out that it's poor form to bring in a game changing OCC (one that dramatically changes the abilities of the party) when you're a guest in another group's game. In this case, I asked the GM what kind of OCCs were appropriate to the campaign and he suggested that a Wilderness Scout would be easy to bring into the group for a night and then easy to remove or make an NPC.

Besides, magic users are campaign characters, not one-off characters.

I once tried the same trick in the Westend Starwars game. Made every stat 3d6...went horribly.

I would never even dream of doing something like that in a WhiteWolf or GURPS game. Characters are built around their stats in those systems.

--flatline

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

wittie2m wrote:I cant actually find a ruling on this, but is it possible to play a class you don't have the attribute requirements for, but then use skills to boost them to the minimum?

As per canon the answer is simple.

No, the char can not have a class that they do not meet the minimum requirements.

Daeglan wrote: As for example True Atlanteans used different numbers of dice. :)
TA's are a race not a class. So it is a bad idea using as an example of a class.

flatline wrote:Just raise the required attribute to the minimum required by the class. I'm not aware of any class that required attributes high enough to get bonuses, so raising, for instance, PE from 9 to 12 in order to be a Temporal Wizard is a non-issue in my opinion. The 3 extra HP and 3 PPE isn't going to unbalance the game in the least.

--flatline

Speaking non-canon.
What flatline suggested and assigning attribute roll to which attribute are practical ways to mod the rolls to fit the minimum requirements of a class.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
wittie2m wrote:I cant actually find a ruling on this, but is it possible to play a class you don't have the attribute requirements for, but then use skills to boost them to the minimum?

No, the char can not have a class that they do not meet the minimum requirements.

This is very true, although there are always exceptions to the rule. Such as the Greot Hunter that can be Cyberknights as per their description, even though it is impossible for them to meet the minimum Mental Endurance requirement of 11 with a score of 1D6+3.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Giant2005 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

This is very true, although there are always exceptions to the rule. Such as the Greot Hunter that can be Cyberknights as per their description, even though it is impossible for them to meet the minimum Mental Endurance requirement of 11 with a score of 1D6+3.

And that is a specific exception that does not change the rules. :roll:

I do hate it when people take the text that are "About a Specific Item" or "an Exception to the Rules" to try to make that text say/imply that the the rest of canon is wrong.

The Greot Hunter would be one of those "Exceptions that prove the Rule.", because they had to specifically state that there is that exception.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Giant2005
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

I do hate it when people take the text that are "About a Specific Item" or "an Exception to the Rules" to try to make that text say/imply that the the rest of canon is wrong.

The Greot Hunter would be one of those "Exceptions that prove the Rule.", because they had to specifically state that there is that exception.

Not sure why you felt the need to use a "roll your eyes" emote and speak in such a condescending manner considering I agreed with your answer.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Giant2005 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Not necessarily about the Greot Hunter. The Cyber-Knight OCC does receive +1d4 bonus to several attributes (ME included). Which depending on how the bonuses/min. requirements work (or interpreted to), may be factored into determining if one can be a Cyber-Knight.

A case could be made based on the Juicer/Crazy OCCs that give attribute bonuses and require a certain minimum result AFTER the OCC bonuses as a model for other OCCs as they say if the requirement AFTER bonuses are not meet to raise them to the minimum score (RUE pg55 for Crazy PS and PP "if lower, adjust up to...". Neither Crazy/Juicer have attribute requirements to be in the OCC, but once in the OCC they have to meet minimum results. Which may be how the other OCC Class bonuses to attributes work in relation to attribute requirements.

Rifts Ultimate Edition pg299. "Note: G.M.s may allow a player who is close to meeting the minimum physical attribute requirements (one or two points off) to take the OCC on the condition that the character selects a Physical skill that will boost his attribute to meet or exceed the minimum requirement."-Second Column, in paragraph that starts out in bold "O.C.C. Attribute Requirements".

Though as the Juicer and Crazy OCC show, one could count the Minimum AFTER OCC and/or Raise it if it is still short.
Giant2005
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:A case could be made based on the Juicer/Crazy OCCs that give attribute bonuses and require a certain minimum result AFTER the OCC bonuses as a model for other OCCs as they say if the requirement AFTER bonuses are not meet to raise them to the minimum score (RUE pg55 for Crazy PS and PP "if lower, adjust up to...". Neither Crazy/Juicer have attribute requirements to be in the OCC, but once in the OCC they have to meet minimum results. Which may be how the other OCC Class bonuses to attributes work in relation to attribute requirements.

A case could be made that way but I don't think I personally could agree with it. That M.E. bonus from the CK is part of their training, if the minimum requirements for the OCC didn't have to be met until after the training had been completed, it just wouldn't make sense to me. If that Greot still didn't roll high enough on his ME but had finished his training, I can't imagine the Cyber-Knights saying "Sorry Mr Greot, you trained hard but you aren't quite up to the Cyber-Knight standard... At least we taught you how to do the whole Psi-Sword thing though right? Go out and have some fun with that thing and make your time here worth something."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Giant2005 wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:A case could be made based on the Juicer/Crazy OCCs that give attribute bonuses and require a certain minimum result AFTER the OCC bonuses as a model for other OCCs as they say if the requirement AFTER bonuses are not meet to raise them to the minimum score (RUE pg55 for Crazy PS and PP "if lower, adjust up to...". Neither Crazy/Juicer have attribute requirements to be in the OCC, but once in the OCC they have to meet minimum results. Which may be how the other OCC Class bonuses to attributes work in relation to attribute requirements.

A case could be made that way but I don't think I personally could agree with it. That M.E. bonus from the CK is part of their training, if the minimum requirements for the OCC didn't have to be met until after the training had been completed, it just wouldn't make sense to me. If that Greot still didn't roll high enough on his ME but had finished his training, I can't imagine the Cyber-Knights saying "Sorry Mr Greot, you trained hard but you aren't quite up to the Cyber-Knight standard... At least we taught you how to do the whole Psi-Sword thing though right? Go out and have some fun with that thing and make your time here worth something."

Except the argument can be made that while he completed the training he failed to manifest the appropriate abilities (including the Psi-Sword), as he failed even with training to meet the minimum requirements and washed out. So he got some nice skills and the cyber-armor but didn't become an actual Cyber-Knight as he didn't even with the training push his ME to where he could qualify.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Alrik Vas wrote:

--flatline

eh, not really. as a rule, most of the attributes really don't make a huge difference. oh, high stats can be handy, from time to time, but the difference between a guy with PE 30 and a guy with PE 9 is generally not a very significant one.

most of the time i wouldn't even say supernatural PS is a big deal; the simple fact is, unless you have something up in the 50s or thereabouts, you can get similar amounts of damage from using various reasonably common weapons. i mean, sure, the supernatural PS guy gets unlimited ammo (but also has to use melee), but that's pretty much the only benefit he's getting from it.

for PP, it usually only matters for defence as well (bearing in mind that it only helps melee strike bonus, not your bonus with ranged weapons). and even that can be worked around, since spending all your actions on defence is not a desirable situation (though sometimes necessary, unless you like getting your armour and yourself turned into swiss cheese).

most of the time, there really isn't a huge difference. that has it's upsides (in that you don't need good rolls to make an effective character), but it also has it's downsides (in that exceptionally gifted characters often don't have stats that reflect just how exceptional they are).
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Kagashi wrote:Its not like Palladium thought through any attribute under 15 anyway, so raising to 12 is irrelevant to the overall impact of the game.

Is this taking into account the new penalties (and some odd benefits) for attributes 7 and lower (or 8 for IQ, 6 for Spd) introduced in RUE on page 281?

It would be nice if it mattered whether you had an attribute of 9 or 15 though, since they function the same. A system of scaling benefits where every point made a different would be the best.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:TA's are a race not a class. So it is a bad idea using as an example of a class.

TAs are listed as an RCC so... they're a class :)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Giant2005 wrote:Not sure why you felt the need to use a "roll your eyes" emote and speak in such a condescending manner considering I agreed with your answer.

Because there are people here who try to stand "The Exception" up as "The Rule". It trends that I end up trying to dissuade their munchkin thinking. And they open up like you did, to get that foot in the door trying to open it up
-----------------
The char needs to meet the min. req. of the class before receiving bonuses/abilities from the class.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Because there are people here who try to stand "The Exception" up as "The Rule". It trends that I end up trying to dissuade their munchkin thinking. Which is 'the why'.
-----------------
The char needs to meet the min. req. of the class before receiving bonuses/abilities from the class.

So if they don't have the proper attributes, they throw that sheet of paper away and roll till they get the right combo.

Or you just let them bump a stat or two up.

You're not locked into one roll, done for life. This is a hobby.

*Shrugs* I've never had a GM that's like 'YOU GET ONE ROLL AT ATTRIBUTES!! IF THEY SUCK, YOU'RE SOL!! DEAL WITH IT AND PLAY A CRAPPY CLASS!!'.
I'm sure Gm's like that exist. I just have never played with jerks like that.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Why is there even a quote, PJ? Since it does not appear to me that you are responding to what was quoted.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Why is there even a quote, PJ? Since it does not appear to me that you are responding to what was quoted.

Because he is saying 'if you don't have the stats on THIS roll set to meet the class requirements, your not locked into those numbers, just set them aside, and roll up ANOTHER set of stats, if those work great your in business, if not, then roll AGAIN, keep rolling up new sets of stats, till one of the sets is able to meet your perquisites. Great, now make the character you desire.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmask
Palladin

Bonez332 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Because there are people here who try to stand "The Exception" up as "The Rule". It trends that I end up trying to dissuade their munchkin thinking. And they open up like you did, to get that foot in the door trying to open it up
-----------------

Yes cause i really look forward to playing a vagabond for the 13th time cause even a cowboy requires a 10 and a roll with a 12. Nope wait im just gonna power game and not play a human and pick something that either gets massive stat bonuses like an atlantean or an rcc like a dragon.

I might want to play a gunslinger once in my life but the less than 2% chance makes that seem unlikely.

So much for your theory, i prefer not to punish my players for wanting to play humans.

Unfortunately some think everything's munchkin to the point that they can't even recognize that there's nothing munchkin, twinkish, or power-gaming about wanting to play a character they want to play and just wanting to be able to meet the minimums required to play it when straight 3d6 gives very poor odds of pulling that off.

No one should have to settle for a character they don't want because they're rigidly held to the dice rolls when the class is acceptable otherwise. As others have noted it's not like the stats matter in general since you don't even start seeing benefits from them until at least 16 from a mechanics perspective. 5 or 15 it does nothing in game.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
flatline
Knight

Out of curiosity, what class has the highest attribute requirements?

--flatline

Alrik Vas
Knight

PF Palladin's need a lot of stats at certain numbers IIRC, but none of the numbers are significantly high.

I'd guess that Paratroopers need silly stats (considering how silly i hear they are), but I've never actually looked at the class before.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

eliakon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Why is there even a quote, PJ? Since it does not appear to me that you are responding to what was quoted.

Because he is saying 'if you don't have the stats on THIS roll set to meet the class requirements, your not locked into those numbers, just set them aside, and roll up ANOTHER set of stats, if those work great your in business, if not, then roll AGAIN, keep rolling up new sets of stats, till one of the sets is able to meet your perquisites. Great, now make the character you desire.

You just stated what he said...not making a suggestion why he quoted me to say something that was not the subject of what he quoted, even if the posted text was on topic for the topic as a whole.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Bonez332 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Because there are people here who try to stand "The Exception" up as "The Rule". It trends that I end up trying to dissuade their munchkin thinking. And they open up like you did, to get that foot in the door trying to open it up
-----------------

Yes cause i really look forward to playing a vagabond for the 13th time cause even a cowboy requires a 10 and a roll with a 12. Nope wait im just gonna power game and not play a human and pick something that either gets massive stat bonuses like an atlantean or an rcc like a dragon.

I might want to play a gunslinger once in my life but the less than 2% chance makes that seem unlikely.

So much for your theory, i prefer not to punish my players for wanting to play humans.

Again, someone quotes me and does not post anything related to what they quoted.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
eliakon wrote:

You just stated what he said...not making a suggestion why he quoted me to say something that was not the subject of what he quoted, even if the posted text was on topic for the topic as a whole.

Your post indicated a hardline about attribute requirements and "The char needs to meet the min. req. of the class before receiving bonuses/abilities from the class."

My point was we're playing the game to have fun, and if you're going to be so 'hardline as to say "hey your stats are fine except your too low on PE, and no I'm not going to let you up it. Pick something else"

Most people will just go "Ok. Then, I'm trashing these attributes and rolling again" and if they're low on one attribute requirement, they'll go again and again.

If I sit down and want to play a Cyberknight in the game, and the 'GM' is so hardline that he won't let me adjust an attribute up to minimum, or ignore the requirements, then I can just re-roll till I get it. Might take a while but It'll happen.

Only a jerk would go "You get one roll, period, You're stuck 100% with what you roll. I don't care if you end up with an IQ of 30"

So the point of being hardline about Attribute requirements is more or less useless as the player will just reroll till they have what they need. So if they're going to reroll till they get what they need, why not save everyone time and just up the attribute to the minimum and continue with the 20 minutes to an hour needed to make a character?

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:the Greot Hunter that can be Cyberknights as per their description, even though it is impossible for them to meet the minimum Mental Endurance requirement of 11 with a score of 1D6+3.

Since no exception is mentioned, we shouldn't assume there is one.

We need only find a means by which it can occur. This could require some looking. I was about to argue 'perhaps they're from Psyscape' but those guys have boosted MA. It's the CS' Psi-Division training that does ME, and even then only 1 point.

http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/ques ... ombat.html only applies bonuses to 2d6 or 3d6 so that's no help...

I guess there's always the chance that Greots might have random super-abilities ala CB1, but then they can't have psionics. Of course, not having psionics never stopped a cyber-knight...

Could someone tell me where we're getting this 'Greots can be CKs' thing? I'm looking at Rifts Canada Pg 135 and it's not among their OCC, nor are Greots mentioned in the racial breakdown of CKs on SoT4pg23. Is this something added in D-bees of North America, or maybe some kinda Greot CK NPC? I don't want to go to too extreme a brainstorm without knowing the limitations I'm working within here.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I do hate it when people take the text that are "About a Specific Item" or "an Exception to the Rules" to try to make that text say/imply that the the rest of canon is wrong.
Exceptions to rules simply mean that a certain rule formerly thought to be absolute can have exceptions to it, not that it doesn't apply to those lacking exceptions.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The Greot Hunter would be one of those "Exceptions that prove the Rule.", because they had to specifically state that there is that exception.
I do hate it when people use that phrase. Exceptions don't prove rules, that's nonsense. Especially if we're talking about a situation that may not even be an exception. There are ways out there besides OCCs to boost ME. Not to mention someone could've used a previous OCC to boost it before becoming a Cyber-Knight. Greots had a limited OCC list in Canada but if CKs got added now I'm not sure what else might've been added.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:people here who try to stand "The Exception" up as "The Rule". It trends that I end up trying to dissuade their munchkin thinking.

Munchkin thinking is an entirely different topic, let's not derail the thread here.

Could you link to a post that tries to present an exception to trends as an absolute deconstruction of a rule?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Giant2005
Knight

Tor wrote:Could someone tell me where we're getting this 'Greots can be CKs' thing? I'm looking at Rifts Canada Pg 135 and it's not among their OCC, nor are Greots mentioned in the racial breakdown of CKs on SoT4pg23. Is this something added in D-bees of North America, or maybe some kinda Greot CK NPC? I don't want to go to too extreme a brainstorm without knowing the limitations I'm working within here.

It is in their O.C.C. list in DBoNA.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Assuming the character is just a few points shy, another solution would be to allow the character to proceed and the player uses it as part of the backstory.

I was never as strong as the other recruits and had trouble pulling my weight sometimes, but Instructor Bob said I had heart and that was enough in his eyes...
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

It all comes down to GM tolerance and style, but in game-reality where the players are learning their OCC from a mentor or school, it would come down to the mentor dismissing a sub-par student as 'not having what it takes' for a particular discipline, or the student/cadet flunking out because they keep tripping over their own feet or failing to pass the physical..."Listen up...a career in the CS military might not be suitable for you, Wimpass, but there's always begging on the streets!"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

I have many times played games where everyone rolls their stats, then chooses an OCC appropriate to their rolls. It's a good system, works better with people who are used to the system and just want to play a random game. It is NOT a good system for people who are just starting out, to hand them a game of 'infinite possibilities' with dozens of books of possible choices for characters, and say 'but you won't be able to be +/-80% of these because you won't roll FAR ENOUGH above average...'

Roll your stats, choose your OCC, bump up any required minimums, have fun. The attribute system in Palladium is ridiculous to start with.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Giant2005 wrote:

I guess there are a few ways to explain how the Greot can become a CK:
1. Bonus dice rolls exist on any attribute, regardless of the base # of dice to roll
2. As the rules state, you can allow the player to spend skills to increase an attribute if w/n 1 or 2 points to meet the requirement. Since MA/ME don't have any real official skills (off-hand), this rolls into #3 &/or #4, or have them spend skill slot(s) to raise it with specially crafted skills that don't matter otherwise (so don't need to be listed).
3. the attribute requirements are the minimum needed to graduate from the Classes training program, so their bonuses to attributes still apply, and not the minimum entry requirements to the class. (w/CK the ME and MA bonuses may be part of the result of forming the Psi-Sword in the first place)
4. The Greots have bio-wizard/genetic tweaking (possibly a few more options in this scope) of their stats granted to them to achieve the same result as #2 and done as part of their back-story.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Because there are people here who try to stand "The Exception" up as "The Rule". It trends that I end up trying to dissuade their munchkin thinking. Which is 'the why'.
-----------------

So if they don't have the proper attributes, they throw that sheet of paper away and roll till they get the right combo.

*Shrugs* I've never had a GM that's like 'YOU GET ONE ROLL AT ATTRIBUTES!! IF THEY SUCK, YOU'RE SOL!! DEAL WITH IT AND PLAY A CRAPPY CLASS!!'.

we are not jerks; we just have alternatives in place that do not require re-rolling the dice.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Ever since D&D I have always gone with the roll one set of attribute dice for each attribute and then put the numbers where you want them. Baring some EPICALLY bad rolling in which case a GM mulligan will likely be called it should be fine to play just about any class a person wants. The only ones this does not work for are RCC with differing attribute dice rolls and for those typically you won't have a minimum stat level necessary because it is racial based.

The great thing about the palladium system at least for physical skills if your player feels they are lacking in some area physically there are skills they can take that bolster those abilities. I usually look at the minimums only after all the skills are picked basically if you were a 90 pound weakling before trying to become a head hunter your butt got put through bootcamp to toughen you up to see if after training you could make the grade.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

flatline wrote:Out of curiosity, what class has the highest attribute requirements?

--flatline

Hehe this thread is making me wonder the same thing. Most OCC that I have been glancing at lately seem to need like 9-12 max for required stats and that is pretty darn reasonable. Hehe one option in rifts also if you don't match the physical levels needed potentially cybernetics/bionics could be used to boost it. Frankly I don't recall this ever being much of an issue in rifts its not like the old D&D 17 charisma for paladin deal if some player came up and asked me if he could bump his roll of a 6 or 7 to an 9-12 to meet the class requirements I don't think I would blink an eye at that. Its still not high enough to get any actual bonuses so game wise its impact is negligible.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:So if they don't have the proper attributes, they throw that sheet of paper away and roll till they get the right combo.

That is what the rules say to do.

It's just a rarely followed rule.

That dosn't make bumping up attributes to minimum not a houserule.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nightmask
Palladin

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:So if they don't have the proper attributes, they throw that sheet of paper away and roll till they get the right combo.

That is what the rules say to do.

It's just a rarely followed rule.

That dosn't make bumping up attributes to minimum not a houserule.

That would be pretty aggravating considering how long it could take to reroll until you got numbers that would let you meet the requirements for a particular class you wanted, instead of simply raising your first set of rolls to the minimum where needed to get the class right then and there.

Whiplash4731
D-Bee

Unread post by Whiplash4731 »

I normally house rule it, and bump the stats up to the minimum. The one time that I won't allow that is if the stats are low enough to fall under the "below average" category in RUE, 6 and under. At that point it's either re-roll or pick a different class.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain" ~ Matrim Cauthon
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Kaid wrote:Ever since D&D I have always gone with the roll one set of attribute dice for each attribute and then put the numbers where you want them.

Now the majority of the time for humans, there won't be an issue, but what do you do in the Palladium system when you are playing a race that has attributes that are not all the same dice to roll? Ex. Troglodytes get 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, and 6d6 dice rolls depending on the attribute.
flatline
Knight

I'm trying to remember if I've ever had a problem getting the minimum attributes required for something. Most GMs had house rules for attribute rolling that were more generous than canon, so it wasn't a common problem. I think at one point I wanted to make a Changeling Temporal Wizard and rather than trying to roll a 12 for PE, I'm pretty sure I just set the PE attribute to 12 (with the GM's blessing, of course).

--flatline

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
-----------------

we are not jerks; we just have alternatives in place that do not require re-rolling the dice.

I'm not saying you are. I was pointing out I've never had a GM that was so strict that they'd lock you in to ---one attribute roll--- and outlaw all classes if you happened to get one bad roll. Or stick you with someone with an IQ of 30 and thus, legally considered a severe case of retardation, if you happened to roll 3 '1's' on That stat or something.

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
-----------------

I'm not saying you are. I was pointing out I've never had a GM that was so strict that they'd lock you in to ---one attribute roll--- and outlaw all classes if you happened to get one bad roll. Or stick you with someone with an IQ of 30 and thus, legally considered a severe case of retardation, if you happened to roll 3 '1's' on That stat or something.

now the 3 stat I am pretty lenient on those most times but we have played "iron man" style where you take what you rolled and work with what you get.
I ended up with a fighter who had a IQ 3, MA 20, PS 30 (pre-skills)...
The stories of BOB the Barbarian are legendary.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

Really anyone playing a character who has the equivalent of a elementary school education should have a requirement of an IQ of at least 5. The fact that the system even allows characters to be 'played' at the IQ 3 level is ridiculous, considering that (it's been awhile so I might be off on this) special education teachers will tell you that below 5(0), a person is capable of very little ('trainable' might have been the term? Though I think it was generally replaced with 'severely handicapped'), mostly they should be capable of looking after cleaning themselves provided they are in a sheltered environment.

The idea that a character could have an IQ of 3 and an MA of 20.. yeesh.

Palladium's skill system is pretty wacky to start with. It works fairly well for defining the average person in a game where you are constantly told you are playing the 'extraordinary' individual, and even classes rarely taken as they are seen as to run-of-the-mill have requirements. I always come back to PS as the perfect example. The average person rolls a 10 for PS, which defines the 'average' person well, I guess? Capable of lifting 200lbs. Except that's the 'average' strength of both a 5'3" woman and a 6'4" man... Speed goes this way as well.

Considering that MOST class restrictions for attributes require a certain number that has NO BEARING on the mechanics of the game (must have an ME of 14, or a PP of 12), using whatever system you want to change this will have predictably little (or no) impact on the game.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Yeah, the attributes are wonky compared to real life and most relaxed GMs wouldn't have a problem overriding the rules so you can bump up scores to the minimum.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi

Return to “Rifts®”