Spells/Powers levels

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

khorne
D-Bee

Spells/Powers levels

Unread post by khorne »

"PER ADDITIONAL LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE"... many powers and spells have this and it's pretty straightforward to understand but, BUUUT, not many say "starting with level two", or something similar. How would you interpret this? I.E. A spell radius is 100 foot PLUS 10 per additional level. In your opinion that means that the radius is 110 at Level 1? Or it's rather 100?
it is enough to write "Confucius" at the end of any stupid sentence to make it feel deeply wise.

- Confucius
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Spells/Powers levels

Unread post by Glistam »

Start adding those level up bonuses from level 1. That has always been my interpretation of spells, psionics and super powers. Only skills start gaining their level up bonuses at the following level, and that's because the rules specifically make that exception.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

If it says per level of experience I have always done it starting at level one. Some say with each additional level of experience or something like that usually means don't include level 1.
popscythe
Adventurer
Comment: Mecha-sized flamethrowers, dudes! *woooooosh* :heart:

Unread post by popscythe »

kaid wrote:If it says per level of experience I have always done it starting at level one. Some say with each additional level of experience or something like that usually means don't include level 1.

Oh no, I wear my shorts differently than you do yours, I must launch a crusade against ya! I've always taken per level to mean per new level.
Zarathustra was extremely accurate. He was talking about you, man.
Whoops! Looks like I was wrong about where Mos Eisley's located.
Victorious on Final Jeopardy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilrszSXGiI
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I originally thought that too but they tend to use a different wording on the things that do not include level 1. Usually the wording is something like each additional level of experience.

As long as the GM is consistent about it really does not matter much either way.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Some spells do 1d6 per level, this does not mean they do 0d6 at level 1.

To simplify things I've always included level 1 in the "per level" equasion, even when they say per "additional level of experience" or in the case of skills where they explicitly call it out. I have never really bemoaned the small bonus, and liked that fact that I don't have to remember which is which ... expecially if making an NPC above level 1.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

It's been a little dubious but really, the difference in the long run is negligible. Ruling either way will only be subtly different. Especially when it comes to 110m vs 100m. Who realistically gives exact distances - geometry teachers running games? It's not worth the effort to muck around with players using laser range finders in every encounter. :p :)
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Eclipse wrote:It's been a little dubious but really, the difference in the long run is negligible. Ruling either way will only be subtly different. Especially when it comes to 110m vs 100m. Who realistically gives exact distances - geometry teachers running games? It's not worth the effort to muck around with players using laser range finders in every encounter. :p :)

Pretty much as long as the rule is applied consistently in the game you are in it really does not matter either way well other than lightning bolt doing 0d6 damage at level 1.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The 'how much damage, range, duration per level' any power or spell gets question. This is easy because it is the amount times the char's level.
example: if the spell, psi power, hero power or "other something" has a damage of 1d6 per level then @L1 the damage for that is 1d6 SD/MD.

So the 5th level Wizard will, when casting Fireball, will do max of 5d6 SD with each casting (w/o LL/LLN mods.)

----
Not to be confused with how the Level up spells for mages work. Each mages (except for a few classes) gets a new spell or spells when they change level up to a new level of exp. The 1st level up spell comes with the change from moving from level 1 to level 2. Note that a mage char does not get any "level up" spells at level 1 because they already get their "Starting Spells" at level 1. These "starting spells already include any "level up" spells they would of "theoretically" gotten from moving from Level 0 to Level 1.
I believe the supporting Canon Q&A text that talks about this was published in a Rifter.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Doesn't coa have duration per level of not counting level 1 then no fist level mage could use it.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I utilize the following:
"Per level of experience" includes level 1, unless there's some other notation to overrule it.
"Per additional level of experience" does not include level 1.

Having said that, I agree that it doesn't make much difference so long as it's consistently applied.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
khorne
D-Bee

Unread post by khorne »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
I believe the supporting Canon Q&A text that talks about this was published in a Rifter.

It would be nice to know which issue.
it is enough to write "Confucius" at the end of any stupid sentence to make it feel deeply wise.

- Confucius
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Mack wrote:I utilize the following:
"Per level of experience" includes level 1, unless there's some other notation to overrule it.

Having said that, I agree that it doesn't make much difference so long as it's consistently applied.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

khorne wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

It would be nice to know which issue.

Published Q&A
About Magic questions
Rifter Index in the rifter forum
DIY

If it is not there try the RBoM Q&A section.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

That is an interesting perspective you have there, KC.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

That is an interesting perspective you have there, KC.

He's out doing the old quality one word answers of Doom...:P

But I'm guessing he agrees with said quote.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Per additional usually means 'starts at 2'. Although I guess you could take the "level 1 is 1 added to o" approach and only do 'starts at 2' when it explicitly says that.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Tor wrote:Per additional usually means 'starts at 2'. Although I guess you could take the "level 1 is 1 added to o" approach and only do 'starts at 2' when it explicitly says that.

The per additional is stated like that because if often comes into play with skills. So say you get a new secondary skill at level 8. If it stated per level of experience you would get 8 levels of improvement on it immediately. But in these cases it lists it as per additional level so basically when you first get the skill its basically like a level 1 skill and its improving at every new level after level 8.

Say this same person got call lightning at level 8 as well. Level 8 was apparently a good level for this guy when he casts the spell it does 1d6 damage per level. So when they first get call lightning it immediately is doing 8d6 MDC. Had call lightning been listed as 1d6 per additional level of experience it would actually do 0d6 damage when you first get it which would not make any sense.

Return to “Rifts®”