Heroes Unlimited Hardcover

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Heroes Unlimited Hardcover

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

In this weeks update, KS asked if fans would like a Heroes Unlimited hardcover. I'm not sure where to respond to that, so I am putting it here. I would love a hardcover for the HU rules (my fav Palladium game) but I would really prefer a new edition offered in hardcover, rather than just a hardcover version of the rules I already have. A Heroes Unlimited "Ultimate Edition."

Even if they do just reprint the rules as a hardcover, I would prefer a cover like the Rifts Ultimate Edition... new artwork, rather than just a cloth cover with foil. It's the game's 30th anniversary... let's do something special!
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Re: Heroes Unlimited Hardcover

Unread post by Incriptus »

I guess it would look nice next to my Heroes Unlimited, Heroes Unlimited Revised, and Heroes Unlimited 2nd edition books, but without improved (even if just editorial) content I would have to wait till I had everything else.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

If it's a hard cover of the most current HU book with no changes, then no not at all. If it's a revised/updated one... heck yeah.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I think I'm confused. Doesn't HU2 already come in a hardcover? Or is my hardcover just a special/limited edition?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

Yep. There is a HU2 hardcover already, and it was a limited special edition printing. I guess Kevin is talking about doing another special anniversary edition hardcover.

Press Release wrote:2014 is the 30th Anniversary of the Heroes Unlimited RPG (originally released in June 1984). We’re almost out of the current print run, so we’ll be sending it in for reprinting. But I’m thinking, it might be cool to print 300-400 copies of a Thirtieth Anniversary “Hardcover Edition” of Heroes Unlimited RPG, 2nd Edition (i.e. the current rules). And to celebrate the Anniversary, offer it at a low, reasonable price of $40 available only from Palladium Books; while supplies last. The content of the book would be the same as the current softcover except for the blue cloth hardcover (a different blue than the old hardcover) and gold foil printing. Signed and numbered by the Palladium staff.

The question is: Is this a good idea? Is an HU2 Hardcover something you would want? Please let us know. We need to make that decision over the next week or two. Think it would be fun. Personally, I love hardcover books.

-Chris
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I cannot afford the $40 price he quoted in the update, so my answer would be no. Besides, if it is just the same material reprinted, what would be the point?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Ahhh, so it's the same book. Then my answer is no I've got no need for that.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I'd have to agree with crowd. If it was the same material, with the outdated scholastic
skills and education random chart. I'd have to see some new art work too.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Reagren Wright wrote:I'd have to agree with crowd. If it was the same material, with the outdated scholastic

Of course, I would like to see some of the stuff that you have written in the book too!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

If it had new stuff...as in modern day technology, with expanded content and new artwork, then YES, I will buy it, for $40 to $60. If it is not new content, then I would not even want it as a gift, since space is at a premium for my gaming shelves...

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
talmor
Wanderer

Unread post by talmor »

Reagren Wright wrote:I'd have to agree with crowd. If it was the same material, with the outdated scholastic

Wait...is THAT the issue with '98 edition? I thought the major issue with it is the tech--a computer less impressive than my phone costs something like a million dollars per the rules. I didn't realize the education chart was an issue. Of course, I love random tables, one of the reasons I dig Heroes Unlimited, even if I had to rewrite the random power tables so players would actually get super strength more often than, say, Clock Control.

As for the Harcover, I'd vote "no." I actually don't like hardcover is general--my Palladium softcovers from the 80's still hold together quite well despite my YEARS of abuse, while my carefully kept hardcovers from other companies are falling apart.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I've sent Kevin Siembieda an email with a link to this thread. At the very least, your concerns and constructive ideas will be seen.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

NMI wrote:I've sent Kevin Siembieda an email with a link to this thread. At the very least, your concerns and constructive ideas will be seen.

:ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
slade the sniper
Hero

As long as the tech is upgraded...I will buy it...seriously...just update the book with modern tech. New art, new powers, that is just gravy...

-STS
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

I wouldn't bet on much work getting put into it for the Hardcover. That will just make anyone who doesn't buy it want a non hard cover version released for the updates. I'd rather see them not bother, and focus on the books we've already been waiting years for.

That's just a personal preference though.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

For me to even consider buying a HU hardcover it would have to include:

-Streamlining of some of the power categories.
-Better Art.
-Allow HU to emulate all kinds of superheros.
-Fix some of the wonky superpowers
-Allow the purchase of the book in PDF

I'm truly uninterested in buying the same reprinted rehased book twice in hardcover. There just seems no reason to do so. A small update to HU to allow it to do what Champions and Mutants And Mastermindsas super rpgs is possible. without making the older material obsolete.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

As of the last update, Kevin has decided to go through with producing 300-400 copies of the hardcover.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Sureshot
Champion

Stone Gargoyle wrote:As of the last update, Kevin has decided to go through with producing 300-400 copies of the hardcover.

Oh well. So much for giving any feedback. Kind of defeats the purpose if the majority are not interested.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Sureshot wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:As of the last update, Kevin has decided to go through with producing 300-400 copies of the hardcover.

Oh well. So much for giving any feedback. Kind of defeats the purpose if the majority are not interested.
I doubt he even paid any attention to the feedback, even though the reason he is going through with it was that he supposedly got positive feedback encouraging him to do so.
slade the sniper
Hero

jaymz wrote:I wouldn't bet on much work getting put into it for the Hardcover. That will just make anyone who doesn't buy it want a non hard cover version released for the updates. I'd rather see them not bother, and focus on the books we've already been waiting years for.

That's just a personal preference though.

Like REF Marines (yes, yes incorrect term, but personal preference) and Warpath?? Given the choice, yes, I would prefer those titles since I have house-ruled HU2 into something unidentifiable from it's origins...but I am an addict and I buy all sorts of Palladium crack :(

-STS
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Sureshot wrote:

Just because one or two dozen people on a forum on the internet were uninterested does not prove that the "majority" were not interested. There's other ways of giving feedback which are more discreet that you don't see here. A vocal minority is not automatically a majority.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Sureshot
Champion

Glistam wrote:Just because one or two dozen people on a forum on the internet were uninterested does not prove that the "majority" were not interested. There's other ways of giving feedback which are more discreet that you don't see here. A vocal minority is not automatically a majority.

True a internet forum may not be a majority. Yet imo it should be a good indicator if the fanbase want it or not. Since gamers here are PB fans. I also felt like they wanted to publish the hardcover anyway whether we the fans wanted it or not. So asking for feedback felt and still feels like a waste of time. Then again I'm not the market for the hardcover as I have absolutely no interest in buying a expensive rehash. Nor will I recommend it if a poster were to ask if it's worth buying. I do think they are misjuging the amount of fans that HU has. At most I would have printed 50-100. Since HU does not allow gamers to do what Mutants and Masterminds or Champions rpgs can it's imo not as popular. If they do sell out of all the copies then I am man enough to admit that I was wrong.

Enlightened Grognard

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

This was not the only thread in which responses to the question were posted. Pepsi Jedi had started another one in another area of the forums. There seemed to be slightly more interest there in the hardcover, but still not enough to justify saying they got a positive response. I am convinced that they were going to do it regardless.
slade the sniper
Hero

Glistam wrote:A vocal minority is not automatically a majority.

Tell that to mass media :badbad:

-STS
Sureshot
Champion

Stone Gargoyle wrote:This was not the only thread in which responses to the question were posted. Pepsi Jedi had started another one in another area of the forums. There seemed to be slightly more interest there in the hardcover, but still not enough to justify saying they got a positive response. I am convinced that they were going to do it regardless.

A rpg company that pays out of their own pocket to release a product even a rehash does not have to ask the fans if they want it. They should yet they don't have to imo.It just feels like they were going to do it anyway. Give the illusion of wanting to get feedback yet going ahead anyway if the result was negative. At the very least if I were them I would print 50 copies of the hardcover. I just can't see 200 let alone 300 copies of the hardcover selling out.

Enlightened Grognard

Ranger
Adventurer
Comment: Tucker Did It!

Unread post by Ranger »

slade the sniper wrote:As long as the tech is upgraded...I will buy it...seriously...just update the book with modern tech. New art, new powers, that is just gravy...

-STS

Or leave the level of tech out and just leave it up to the GM/Players.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Ranger wrote:
slade the sniper wrote:As long as the tech is upgraded...I will buy it...seriously...just update the book with modern tech. New art, new powers, that is just gravy...

-STS

Or leave the level of tech out and just leave it up to the GM/Players.

I think in some ways that is what he meant by update....make it more "generic" in description as to be able to move ahead with the times.

\m/

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”