Recreational Psi Use

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Recreational Psi Use

Unread post by 13eowulf »

So a companion to the Recreational Magic Use thread. Have you ever thought about or used Psionic Powers in a recreational manner?

For example: TK Table Tennis. Like regular Table Tennis, only you us TK instead of a paddle to 'tap' the ball in the right direction with the right amount of force.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Re: Recreational Psi Use

Unread post by filo_clarke »

We once ran a TK Drinking game, where the PCs used Telekinesis to wrestle a metal bottle of liquor into pouring a shot into the other's glass. Each PC invested ISP into the "pour", and then rolled a D20 + the ISP invested, high-roll won, and the loser drank the shot. But you got a -1 for every shot you drank (sort of like a -1 to Strike the other shot glass, because of loss of concentration)

This meant that large ISP investments early on won the first few rounds but left little ISP for later in the game, while small ISP spending meant you could outpace the opponent, and wear them out of ISP, as long as you didn't mind sucking a few negatives before the end of the game.

The end of the game comes when someone is out of ISP, passes out, or gives up.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

filo_clarke wrote:We once ran a TK Drinking game, where the PCs used Telekinesis to wrestle a metal bottle of liquor into pouring a shot into the other's glass. Each PC invested ISP into the "pour", and then rolled a D20 + the ISP invested, high-roll won, and the loser drank the shot. But you got a -1 for every shot you drank (sort of like a -1 to Strike the other shot glass, because of loss of concentration)

This meant that large ISP investments early on won the first few rounds but left little ISP for later in the game, while small ISP spending meant you could outpace the opponent, and wear them out of ISP, as long as you didn't mind sucking a few negatives before the end of the game.

That, sir, is GOLD!

I may have to use that.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

i never had set rules for it (it was just a thematic thing in the background once)
but i had TK jugglers (though that was more entertainment than recreation)

but i really like the drinking game idea too
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

filo_clarke wrote:We once ran a TK Drinking game, where the PCs used Telekinesis to wrestle a metal bottle of liquor into pouring a shot into the other's glass. Each PC invested ISP into the "pour", and then rolled a D20 + the ISP invested, high-roll won, and the loser drank the shot. But you got a -1 for every shot you drank (sort of like a -1 to Strike the other shot glass, because of loss of concentration)

Epic, just epic. I am officially errrr, borrowing this, yah borrowing :D
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Can one effect their own mind with psionics?
If so, I could imagine some fat dude never getting off his couch and just using instill memory on himself to make all of his fantasies seem real.
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

You could probably get a chuckle out of imparting hilarious memories after someone passes out sloshed. The various "I can't believe I did that!!" reactions the next day might be fun. Potential for some interesting RP.
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Dreamdance: Minor, go and have battles with imaginary versions of people you know (or things you made up) with little chance of any consequence to yourself. Go punch your boss in the face, go streaking, ask a girl out, etc.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

not exactly the same idea you're talking about but i made an npc band before with the lead singer being a burster and doing the bands pyrotechnics with his "natural ability's"
the band had a hyperion juicer on drums, mind melter on bass, rahuman with 2 guitars and TW on keyboard

(death metal in dragonese is the way it was always meant to be lol)
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

PSI-Lence wrote:not exactly the same idea you're talking about but i made an npc band before with the lead singer being a burster and doing the bands pyrotechnics with his "natural ability's"
the band had a hyperion juicer on drums, mind melter on bass, rahuman with 2 guitars and TW on keyboard

(death metal in dragonese is the way it was always meant to be lol)

I like the idea of a Rahu-man doing his own dueling guitars solo......
Oderint Dum Metuant.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Total Recall for a career as a book reviewer. Though that's more professional than recreational...

Total Recall! Be the only person to actually read that book for your Book Club!
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

maybe making your own bread with psionic "raise bread" psi power? (see original psionic powers thread for details)
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Canon powers only, otherwise we could just invent whatever power we like for recreational use.

Telemechanics: free internet
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

not so sure about free internet, since there is not really an internet anymore in rifts?
if there was tv broadcasts though could uscramble the pay channels
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

PSI-Lence wrote:not so sure about free internet, since there is not really an internet anymore in rifts?
if there was tv broadcasts though could uscramble the pay channels

Telemechanics is available is settings other than Rifts though, and this was meant to be an 'all settings' question
Oderint Dum Metuant.
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

ahh ok still only played rifts and chaos earth so far (and just got the splicers book)
so in that case unscrambeling stations would work

maybe hydrokenises (or telekinetics) for surfing on calm days
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

PSI-Lence wrote:not so sure about free internet, since there is not really an internet anymore in rifts?
Rifts has an Internet, it's just not what it was. There's an internet within the CS states heavily regulated by the authorities, for example. We should reasonably expect there to be something like that in the NGR too. Not sure about other places. I'm doubtful the CS and NGR are connected in as open a manner though. Perhaps it might be more accurate to call these nations' internet a really big LAN?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”