See the invisible VS Superior Invisibilty

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ScrapDaddy
D-Bee

See the invisible VS Superior Invisibilty

Unread post by ScrapDaddy »

I feel like this is a dumb question, but does the See the Invisible spell/nat ability trump the Superior Invisibility spell?
"When fate taps you on the shoulder, You best pay attention. Unfortunately, Fate has that blasted habit of tapping the opposite shoulder, so when you turn, she's on your other side, Giggling like a schoolgirl. I hate that"
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: See the invisible VS Superior Invisibilty

Unread post by eliakon »

This has been argued for ages in the forums :D
The best consensus is...Maybe. It really depends on which mutually contradictory bit of text the GM wants to give precedence too. :D
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

eliakon wrote:This has been argued for ages in the forums :D
The best consensus is...Maybe. It really depends on which mutually contradictory bit of text the GM wants to give precedence too. :D

Agreed.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The psi powers sees both Invis. Simp. & Sup. according to the power text.
Which I find it seeing Iinvis. Sup. a bit stupid cause the spell says that is conceals the target from all forms of detection.
But what can you say when the Psi power is very specific in what it says. :roll:

I would say that Invis. Sup. trumps a Nat. Ability to see the Invis.

There is a see the invis. Spell in canon???????
If push came to shove I would say Invis. Sup. Trumps the StI spell too.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

R:UE, page 203 wrote:Invisibility: Simple
Note: ((skipped a bit...)) Characters who can See the Invisible see both Simple and Superior Invisibility.

Oddly enough See the invisible itself never says anything about the invisibility spells instead you have to actually read their descriptions.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Slight001 wrote:
R:UE, page 203 wrote:Invisibility: Simple
Note: ((skipped a bit...)) Characters who can See the Invisible see both Simple and Superior Invisibility.

Oddly enough See the invisible itself never says anything about the invisibility spells instead you have to actually read their descriptions.

:lol: YAY Canon solutions :lol:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

See the invisible sees invisibility superor, but as a blurry outline, which gives them -2 to hit the target
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
ScrapDaddy
D-Bee

Unread post by ScrapDaddy »

so GM discretion then- lol.
"When fate taps you on the shoulder, You best pay attention. Unfortunately, Fate has that blasted habit of tapping the opposite shoulder, so when you turn, she's on your other side, Giggling like a schoolgirl. I hate that"
Slight001
Hero

Nekira Sudacne wrote:See the invisible sees invisibility superor, but as a blurry outline, which gives them -2 to hit the target

Where did you get that from? Can I get a book and page number on that? I'd like to read the wording myself.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Invisibility: Simple, RUE p. 203, last sentence in the spell description:
"Characters who can See The Invisible see both Simple and Superior Invisibility."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:See the invisible sees invisibility superor, but as a blurry outline, which gives them -2 to hit the target

Where is this found in the books?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Where is this found in the books?

Heroes Unlimited Second Edition, page 330.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Slight001
Hero

Then it doesn't apply. This is Rifts not HU. Interesting rule but its from a different line.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Slight001 wrote:Then it doesn't apply. This is Rifts not HU. Interesting rule but its from a different line.

well more likely its a "this is the precedent, and will likely become universal at some point....but it isn't now" That said HU is probably the last line I would go to for rules (Particle Beams damage the Invulnerable in HU for instance)

Fyrpower
Explorer

Unread post by Fyrpower »

I'd go with a save vs magic on the see the invisible, if it's successful they can see the one hidden by invisibility superior, if it's not they don't.
"Arrogance is a poor man's confidence"

"Only when I lose myself with someone else, that I find I myself"

"You eat to live, not live to eat!"
Slight001
Hero

eliakon wrote:
Slight001 wrote:Then it doesn't apply. This is Rifts not HU. Interesting rule but its from a different line.

well more likely its a "this is the precedent, and will likely become universal at some point....but it isn't now" That said HU is probably the last line I would go to for rules (Particle Beams damage the Invulnerable in HU for instance)

Nah it's more along the lines of I'm not going to reward/penalize players because they own different game lines. Nothing more nothing less.

Consider a different situation. A Palladium Fantasy Psi-Mystic is rifted to a high P.P.E. M.D.C. world they have a version of Armor of Ithan with a base of 100 S.D.C., +10 per level of experience, that should be converted one to one into M.D.C. because that is the spell they know. In the reverse a Rifts Mystic (RUE) is rifted to an S.D.C. world. Their Armor of Ithan only has 10 S.D.C. per level of experience, because that is the version of the spell that they know...

So should I start cherry picking all the best bits from the various lines to produce the most 'effective' selection available or should I instead stick with the single line I am playing with? Obviously, the power gamer is going to want to cherry pick, but that access and I'm not in favor of favoring the ones with the most books.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Slight001 wrote:
eliakon wrote:

Nah it's more along the lines of I'm not going to reward/penalize players because they own different game lines. Nothing more nothing less.

Consider a different situation. A Palladium Fantasy Psi-Mystic is rifted to a high P.P.E. M.D.C. world they have a version of Armor of Ithan with a base of 100 S.D.C., +10 per level of experience, that should be converted one to one into M.D.C. because that is the spell they know. In the reverse a Rifts Mystic (RUE) is rifted to an S.D.C. world. Their Armor of Ithan only has 10 S.D.C. per level of experience, because that is the version of the spell that they know...

So should I start cherry picking all the best bits from the various lines to produce the most 'effective' selection available or should I instead stick with the single line I am playing with? Obviously, the power gamer is going to want to cherry pick, but that access and I'm not in favor of favoring the ones with the most books.

Some people work very hard to cherry-pick the best versions of things. I'm not saying that that's a good thing, as it leads to a great many... complications, but it does happen.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Slight001 wrote:
eliakon wrote:

No... Their Armor of Ithan should be as powerful as the Dimension they are in. You just proved yourself that it doesn't convert on a 1:1 basis.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Giant2005 wrote:
Slight001 wrote:
eliakon wrote:

No... Their Armor of Ithan should be as powerful as the Dimension they are in. You just proved yourself that it doesn't convert on a 1:1 basis.

I'd have to agree, the spell is the same spell whether you learn it in Heroes Unlimited, Beyond the Supernatural, or Rifts, it's the dimension you're in and how it affects magic that's causing the spell to behave in different ways. Same goes with all the other spells that are basically identical between the settings, they're all governed by how that particular dimension affects magic not by what dimension the spell was taught in.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.

Return to “Rifts®”