best magic or psionics for disguise?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Malleable
Wanderer

best magic or psionics for disguise?

Unread post by Malleable »

So say I wanted to walk around the Atlantis marketplace - but since I'm human thats a pretty big risk.

What ways, spells or psions are good disguising oneself?

I was thinking you want to hide your aura - so alter aura.
I want my aura to look really powerful so no one wants to mess with me, so AA should work for a small bump up in level. But I want to have an aura that radiates power, magic, psionics, etc.

Something to make me look less or not human would be great. But I don't want people seeing through it or then I become a quick target.

I think there are more psions or spells for this kinda stuff...

Thanks,
Mal
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: best magic or psionics for disguise?

Unread post by eliakon »

Alter Aura + Aura of Power + Metamorphosis
your now an evil, nonhuman 4 levels higher than your real level.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Malleable
Wanderer

Unread post by Malleable »

eliakon wrote:Alter Aura + Aura of Power + Metamorphosis
your now an evil, nonhuman 4 levels higher than your real level.

Thanks Eliakon! I'll look those up.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Of course, you better be very high level with plenty PPE to maintain that all day long... I mean, the Metamorphosis you need, at the very least to pass for a monster is Metamporphosis: Superior, which, at lvl 10 will take you 100 PPE for a bit over 3 hours of effect, and I've not even looked up the other spells...
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Just walk around as a human with attitude and confidence.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Svartalf
Champion

Sure, in Splynn that will take you very far, depending on how nasty your GM decides to be... better wear a collar with some kind of emblem and pass for a trustee slave... then things go south only if your bluff gets called and the monsters are ready to cross your "owner"
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

You could also pay a monster to pose as your owner. Just make sure you don't pay in advance, and that the amount he gets after it's all done is more than your worth as a slave.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Have a dragon friend go shopping with you. :D
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. There's also the Physical Psionic: Ectoplasmic Disguise (found in RGMG as well as BtS2). Not sure if it's ideal for prolonged exposure, but could do the job well. It can do things like add an extra eye or tail, as well as reshape your face (nothing saying it has to stay human). The limitations can even be passed off as part of your natural alien appearance (if you choose well), and probably not as questioned in a place like Atlantis (not that I know Rifts well enough to say with absolute certainty). Just another idea. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Be an Apok and rough up the whole place. They'll all have to save vs your Horror Factor. :D
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Remember when Ectoplasmic Disguise was introduced in Mindwerks as this big super-equivalent power (grouped in with TK auto-defense, Super-Telemechanics, etc) and then Psyscape made it a minor power?

Remember when Psyscape introduced the minor power of TK acceleration attack and then RUE made it a major power?

Epic consistencies.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Svartalf
Champion

Alrik Vas wrote:Be an Apok and rough up the whole place. They'll all have to save vs your Horror Factor. :D

:lol: yeah, there's a combat monster to frighten them all... even better than a Holy Terror.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I dunno, Apoks are great, but usually in terms of economics (making SDC weapons more useful) or in combination with very powerful gear.

An unarmed Holy Terror would pretty much wreck an Apok with standard resin armaments. Especially when we consider their long-range attacks and regenerative capabilities. People are afraid of Apoks not so much because of their inherant power (although their hellfire is impressive, assuming you can hit with it) but because of what happens if you give them something like a Battlefury blade.

This is only versus supernatural guys, of course, they're not a huge asset against mundane MDC tech opponents, just durable guys who add a whallop to melee attacks in a small package.

Also: those void Locusts wouldn't be afraid of Apoks, and would be immune to their hellfire :)
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

But not to being cut to shreads, which they're also pretty handy with. You don't have to be scared to die. Though the vast majority of creatures in the market square would back the **** off.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

I doubt an Apok would last very long in Splynn. All it would take is one person to recognize that its one of those "Destroy all supernernatural evil, and that means YOU!" types, and security is going to come along and bag 'em.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

That would imply the Splugorth know about Wormwood, and I don't think there's any indication of this. The only major entities we know are aware of the planet are the Promethean 2nd Stagers and Tiamat. If not even Klynncryth knows of Phase World's portal to the place then odds are Splynncryth doesn't know either.

Per the Rifter's canonical FAQ, symbiotes can survive in that SA2 city, so there could be Apoks there which might be recognized, but I'm not clear how much the Silver River Republics interact with the Splugorth.

Odds are that symbiote-dependent guys would stay within radius of the city, so Apoks would be defenders and not guys who left, and less likely too interact with the Splugorth, so they may not be known about.

Apoks are also not mandated to kill ALL supernatural evil, nor is anyone of a good alignment (assuming Apoks are permanently restricted to it. We only know that as of Wormwood pub there weren't any non-good ones) so they could easily keep their mask on and go bum around, maybe buy some slaves to free, etc.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Oh, yeah, an Apok would totally die in Splynn. he'd go down fighting and take a hell of a lot of evil to the depths with him, but he'd die like dog in the end.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Not if he was intelligent enough not to start fights.

Are we assuming the Apok is human and would automatically be a target for slavery?

The MDC and supernatural PS most have would probably disincline people from making assumptions about their status though.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Intelligent enough to not start fights in Splynn for an Apok amounts to: "Intelligent enough to not go to Splynn."

Svartalf
Champion

Unless the GM is sadistic enough to transport you there or make sure you have to go there to do something that can't be done elsewhere.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Then you die. I don't think an Apok would be able to avoid scratching his itch in a place like Splynn.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Alrik Vas wrote:Then you die. I don't think an Apok would be able to avoid scratching his itch in a place like Splynn.

The other problem is that an Apok would, theoretically, be 'supernatural good' which can be detected....and is not exactly welcome. There is also the minor problem that most Apok's are, presumably, of the 'handsome humanoid' school of bipedalism....again not exactly a way to win friends in Splynn. I don't think it would be impossible, but simply being an Apok would not make it any easier to walk around in Splynn, which brings you back to the "How do you fit in, in Splynn?" question.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Alrik Vas wrote:Intelligent enough to not start fights in Splynn for an Apok amounts to: "Intelligent enough to not go to Splynn."

How so? Do you think they'd be unable to control themselves? Good characters can go to Splynn if they want to. Yeah, there's slavery, but as long as you're not capturing the slaves or buying and abusing them yourself there's not any immorality involved in going shopping.

Apoks can be with it enough to think 'hey, I'll go stock up on magic weapons for my friends'.

Alrik Vas wrote:I don't think an Apok would be able to avoid scratching his itch in a place like Splynn.
They aren't indicated to have impulse control issues, you're picturing the mentality of a Berserker here, and only vagabonds/wildernessScouts can be those.

eliakon wrote:an Apok would, theoretically, be 'supernatural good' which can be detected....and is not exactly welcome.

*where is there a power for detecting supernatural good, aside from perhaps the Necrosis in Shadows of Light?
*where are Apoks indicated to be supernatural beings?
*what if the Apok's alignment drops?

eliakon wrote:most Apok's are, presumably, of the 'handsome humanoid' school of bipedalism....again not exactly a way to win friends in Splynn.
So are the Sunaj. You can get by with masks. If you can't bring along the demon mask then there's always the option of getting another scary one.

Apoks can even wear the symbiote masks from Splynn. Though wearing one of those might interfere with putting the demon mask on later.
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

there is also the spell mask of deciet
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

I find the necromancer spell Wear the Face of Another, a very good disguise when used with the face of a Kittani and the right armor (Kittani). only problem is you shouldn't be seen buying anything magical.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:
eliakon wrote:an Apok would, theoretically, be 'supernatural good' which can be detected....and is not exactly welcome.

*where is there a power for detecting supernatural good, aside from perhaps the Necrosis in Shadows of Light?
*where are Apoks indicated to be supernatural beings?
*what if the Apok's alignment drops?

Sense Good spell from Dimensional Outbreak
And the old stand by of Ward magic (put the right modifier on and you can set up an alarm that will go off when something good walks in the store)
<beep beep beep>
"We don't serve your kind here"

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”