Different Psi rules

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Different Psi rules

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

I not really happy with the way psionics are resolved in the Palladium system, so I'm wondering if any one else has house ruled something different.

If you are also not happy with the system and have some house rules you could share, it would be helpful.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Different Psi rules

Unread post by Mouser13 »

The only house rule I have with them is that if it effects I person in they get a saving throw even if saying throw none is said.

Example. Telekiness saysing saving throw none: But I give them one if you pulling clips or guns or holding the person up in their air against their will.

Can I ask what you don't like about it. In alot of ways it better then magic. One action always and harder to save vs.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Yea I let mages use one spell per attack

Take that!!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Shadow Wyrm wrote:I not really happy with the way psionics are resolved in the Palladium system, so I'm wondering if any one else has house ruled something different.

If you are also not happy with the system and have some house rules you could share, it would be helpful.

What are you not happy about? There's a lot of ways "I'm not really happy with the way psionics are resolved" could go, after all.

These rules are pretty old, but they worked at the time.

http://editors-wastebasket.org/nexx/pal ... PSIV2.html
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

both magic and psionics in this game have no skill attached to them. I think both should need an activiation roll of some sort, but honestly it would slow down combat.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

Alrik Vas wrote:both magic and psionics in this game have no skill attached to them. I think both should need an activiation roll of some sort, but honestly it would slow down combat.

Fighter types don't need an activation roll to swing a sword or fire a gun beyond a strike roll, which many offensive magic/psionic abilities also have.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

arouetta wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:both magic and psionics in this game have no skill attached to them. I think both should need an activiation roll of some sort, but honestly it would slow down combat.

Fighter types don't need an activation roll to swing a sword or fire a gun beyond a strike roll, which many offensive magic/psionic abilities also have.

Yes but usually this is only the offensive powers/spells and those are comparably few when a warrior ALWAYS has to roll to swing a sword, fire a bow, etc.

I can see that as an issue but I've never had a problem with it working as is.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

arouetta wrote:

It isn't quite the same thing, as stated above, only a small number psychic abilities that effect others require a strike roll. Besides, if there was an activation roll, it would probably be mixed in with the strike roll. And also, many spells don't have strike rolls, just hard numbers to dodge against. Though i suppose psionics are more guided by the user. I think psychics could benefit from an activation roll, personally. The better you are at it could make your abilites harder to resist.

For instance, would you take a chance of failure to activate a power in order to actually affect a psi-stalker with mind powers? I would. They have a silly base save and all the bonuses in class to make mind-effecting psionics all but uselsss on them, and they aren't the only ones. I've always been a fan of talent and power being the driving force behind an ability.

Though ultimately, the system works okay and it's quick. Just throwing out ideas.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”