Adventure Deck for Rifts

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Adventure Deck for Rifts

Unread post by Fell »

Adventure Deck for Rifts

I already run my Rifts game with a few "house rules"; Mostly I streamlined the combat system since I have a gaming group of 10 people (counting me).

I got the idea of adding a Adventure Deck into our game after looking at the Savage Worlds stuff.

I ordered up a blank deck of 200 playing cards and am working on my own Adventure Deck for my players in RIFTS.

I am still planning on how I will use this deck. But the basic idea is the cards will be dealt at the beginning of the night, and players can use them for that night only (maybe a total of 4 cards a night). There will be "bad" cards and "good cards". More good cards than bad. Good cards can be played at any point by the players and Bad cards must be played face up and I the GM can invoke them anytime I want.

There will be things like:

1.) Your E-clips are mysteriously empty (Psi-Goblins must have visited your weapon during the night as you slept).
2.) You can play this card for a +2 on any roll once tonight (You Feel Good).
3.) Summon an Ally (play when things are going bad and you need reinforcements...and then I the GM will have a NPC show up to assist the players).

So I will be working on a bunch of cards to add into the Adventure Deck. I might (eventually) post them on my web site as a PDF.

Do you have any ideas for cards?

List your ideas below.

:)
Last edited by Fell on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Frederick
Jerell
Hero

Re: Adventure Deck for Rifts

Unread post by Jerell »

That sounds interesting, I really need to see what this SW is all about.
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Unread post by blackwingedheaven »

You might want to call your idea something else, like an "Encounter Deck," since the Adventure Deck for Savage Worlds doesn't really work anything like this.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

What would be nice is if any of the UNUSED artwork from the previous Rifts CCG could be used.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

Agree. There is a lot of cool Rifts art out there and I would love to see the Rifts unused CCG Art.

As far as "Adventure" Deck... Like I say, I got the general idea after looking at SW's decks.

Call it a:
Event Deck
Adventure Deck
Encounter Deck
Story Deck
Surprise Deck

:)

No one has any cool or interesting Card ideas?
Dan Frederick
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

King of Spades - Karl Proseck
Queen of Spades - ??
Jack - Joseph Proseck

Queen of Diamonds - Erin Tarn
etc....
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

NMI wrote:King of Spades - Karl Proseck
Queen of Spades - ??
Jack - Joseph Proseck

Queen of Diamonds - Erin Tarn
etc....

Player (a devil man shifter): "so my turn to pull a card"?
GM: "yeah go for it man"
Player: "sweet, hope I pull something postive." pulls card, a king of spades......
GM: "ok so comming down the valley you hear long before you see a large mechanized battalion with full air cover and at its center a mobile command center floating surrounded by tanks and large robots. The sky dankeneds with sky cycles and super sammas's........... So what do you guys do?"

Pulling the worlds most powerfull human leader whos also super paranoid and has acess to the largest sitting army in NA .... Not good times. Hahahahaha
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Positive cards could include:
+A "change any roll into a natural 20" card
+A "Maximum Damage" card (All dice for that roll are automatically their maximum value)
+A "Never mind" card, allowing you to cancel the action you just made and take a different action instead
+A "Stat sheet peek" card, allowing you to see an NPC's stats and current health.
+A " 'Tis but a scratch" card, allowing your character to survive a blow that would normally kill him/her, instead losing a major limb and putting him/her into a coma.
+An "Out of character" card, allowing your character to make a one-time decision that is against his/her alignment, religion, insanity restrictions without suffering the usual immediate consequences.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Deleted card. Many sheets of paper swirl around an NPC and start to stick to him. After he is completely covered the papers fall and the NPC is no longer there. Does not work on setting characters.

Thank You Brazil
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

I think it is a neat as long as the players are ok with it and understand there are advantage and disadvantage cards in the deck. The e-clip one is easily over come since any competent warrior is going to do a function check of his weapon at least once a day.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Joker- A random item from the randomer item tables.
Two Diamonds - Init reorg so all allies go first
Two of Spades - Init reorg so all foes go first
Two of Clubs - Init reorg allies suffer from normal HF (I.e. Go after all the enemies attacks and loose an attack)
Two of Hearts - Init reorg enemies suffer from "hardcore" HF (I.e. Use the HF table from the Nightspawn book no longer in print, or the original BtS, or if neither are available a phobic panic from the insanity section of most books)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”