Ranged Stun

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Ranged Stun

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Besides the Psi-Crystal guns in Phase World are there any ranged stun weapons out there? I'm looking to make a character who prefers nonlethal attacks and was hoping for something I didn't have to go so far to get.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
dragonfett
Knight

Re: Ranged Stun

Unread post by dragonfett »

Customized TW gun? The Blind Warrior Women/Splugorth Slaver gun?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Phase World SB pg 59 has the web gun, pg 62 HW-19 stun pistol

WB 8 Japan pg 123 has police stun rifle, plus somewhere is the Neural stun club like a neural mace

There should also be some in the two Triax books and there are some weapons in Atlantis used by slavers.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Warshield73 wrote:Phase World SB pg 59 has the web gun, pg 62 HW-19 stun pistol

WB 8 Japan pg 123 has police stun rifle, plus somewhere is the Neural stun club like a neural mace

There should also be some in the two Triax books and there are some weapons in Atlantis used by slavers.

Thanks. My character's origin is based in Japan. His H2H is Aikido and I wanted a ranged option. The Police Stun Rifle will do nicely. I missed it when I looked at the book.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

HarleeKnight wrote:Besides the Psi-Crystal guns in Phase World are there any ranged stun weapons out there? I'm looking to make a character who prefers nonlethal attacks and was hoping for something I didn't have to go so far to get.

Depends on what you want them to be effective for, generally speaking most of the options aren't going to be effective against EBA or PA.

Japan has the AT-23 Stun Rifle and a Bionic Implant (called stun blaster for the Palm Energy Generator series)

Rifts Main Book (not UE) had a stun blaster (and some other dart weapons).

The various arrow type listings include a Neural Disrupter (Triax, SB1o, Atlantis, etc), basically a Neural Mace.

MercOps has a Taser pistol and rifle.

Phaseworld SB has the HW-19.

Triax2 has the sonic stun projector (pg102) for anti-gargoyle work.

That's before you get into the TW/magic/psychic stuff
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Aliens Unlimited has stun guns and sonic weapons which can also stun.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

There is the Defender/J.A.P.E power armor from Juicer's Uprising [Assuming you can Ignore Northern Gun 2]
Possibly an enterprising operator could make the main gun for individual use
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Incriptus wrote:There is the Defender/J.A.P.E power armor from Juicer's Uprising [Assuming you can Ignore Northern Gun 2]

I will second the Defender/JAPE II PA from Juicer Uprising (and do ignore the listing in NG2)

Also there is the Zapper weapon in Juicer Uprising, for a ranged stun.

Merc Ops has a Mace Spray that works vs Supernatural. You can always see if it is available in grenade or missile form as well, maybe a custom order.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Rifts 1st Edition had several on page 245 under Special Guns. One was the:
Stun Gun (blaster)
This pistol fires an energy charge that short circuits the nervous system. Victims are dazed, - 10 to strike, parry and dodge, for 2D4 melees.
A successful saving throw means that the person has successfully fought off the effect and is unimpaired . Roll to save against each blastthat strikes. Range: 100ft (30.5m). Rate of Fire: 5 per melee. Bonus to Strike: Must have a W.P. with Energy Pistol. Damage: Special. Saving Throw: Save vs toxins. Energy Capacity: 10 charges. Cost(gun): 4000 credits. Cost (energy clips): 1000 credits.
TeeAychEeMarchHare
Explorer
Comment: War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Unread post by TeeAychEeMarchHare »

Incriptus wrote:There is the Defender/J.A.P.E power armor from Juicer's Uprising [Assuming you can Ignore Northern Gun 2]

Please refresh my memory on why I'd need to ignore NG2 regarding this?

I was recently thinking about a similar topic. I know, non-lethal is sacrilege to most gamers, especially Rifts players, but I was thinking about how one would go about taking a monster, Borg, whatever, alive, and doing so relatively quickly so combat didn't end up taking forever and resulting in a swath of destruction and hundreds of bystander deaths. For even more of a challenge, magic (weapons, spells, TW) has to be kept to a minimum or is completely off the table.
Too much ammo is a self-correcting problem.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

HarleeKnight wrote:Besides the Psi-Crystal guns in Phase World are there any ranged stun weapons out there? I'm looking to make a character who prefers nonlethal attacks and was hoping for something I didn't have to go so far to get.

This won't help you in Japan, but there are Faerie weapons and other magic weapons that will stun or cause the target to fall asleep.
dragonfett
Knight

TeeAychEeMarchHare wrote:

I was recently thinking about a similar topic. I know, non-lethal is sacrilege to most gamers, especially Rifts players, but I was thinking about how one would go about taking a monster, Borg, whatever, alive, and doing so relatively quickly so combat didn't end up taking forever and resulting in a swath of destruction and hundreds of bystander deaths. For even more of a challenge, magic (weapons, spells, TW) has to be kept to a minimum or is completely off the table.

Because I think they were confusing the one in NG2 with the J.A.P.E. II, which it isn't, it's the Juicer Killer that is in NG2 as well as Juicer Uprising.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Incriptus
Hero

So Juicer's Uprising explains that the design was scrapped by Northern Gun due to lack of interest and wanting more of an emphasis on lethal weapons. The design was stolen and manufactured by the Black Market.

NG2 comes along and declares that the reason why it was scrapped was that it was a failed prototype. It then gives the main weapon a number of flaws. In particular shocking the wielder when drenched "even a steady rain", Random Attack Range, Reducing the range of Optics and Speed.
dragonfett
Knight

Incriptus wrote:

So Juicer's Uprising explains that the design was scrapped by Northern Gun due to lack of interest and wanting more of an emphasis on lethal weapons. The design was stolen and manufactured by the Black Market.

NG2 comes along and declares that the reason why it was scrapped was that it was a failed prototype. It then gives the main weapon a number of flaws. In particular shocking the wielder when drenched "even a steady rain", Random Attack Range, Reducing the range of Optics and Speed.

I hadn't read all of that.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I always thought the stun gun from RMB was overlooked... though I'm sure I recall at least one NPC who had one.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

dragonfett wrote:

Because I think they were confusing the one in NG2 with the J.A.P.E. II, which it isn't, it's the Juicer Killer that is in NG2 as well as Juicer Uprising.

Incorrect. The JAPE II is also in both. With the changes mentioned elsewhere in this thread.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
dragonfett
Knight

13eowulf wrote:
dragonfett wrote:

Incorrect. The JAPE II is also in both. With the changes mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

It was listed as Defender when I was looking for J.A.P.E. II.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

dragonfett wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
dragonfett wrote:

It was listed as Defender when I was looking for J.A.P.E. II.

Ah, I honestly didn't recall that. Just the horrible changes made.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

(I also use special home brewed shot gun rounds that are single shot capacitor that discharge a affect like a nero-mace, and a kusurigama/Japanese chain sythe with remote triggered nero-mace like attack in the chain. perhaps ask your gm if he would allow something like that.)

Non lethal has its place but is not always the best option to resolve combat.wi
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Incriptus
Hero

shadrak wrote:This won't help you in Japan, but there are Faerie weapons and other magic weapons that will stun or cause the target to fall asleep.

In my phase world game I had a recurring enemy conservator who had [among other things] The Paralysis Rifle from the Splynn Dimensional Market. Bio-Manip Paralysis for 2 PPE, hard to beat.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Have to recommend TW guns, as there’s a few incapacitating spells that bypass armor.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Bows are another option. If I recall there are arrows that have a range stun like a taser. There are also TW net arrows and COA arrows. Bows really are one of the most flexible weapons in rifts. I know from experience that most people in CS gas (military tear gas) would not be in the mood for a fight and there are tear gas arrows. You could also use a tracking arrow to mark an escaping target to capture latter.

Smoke, flash bang, and gas grenades would also work to make an unprotected target loose interest in a fight. Breathing in HC smoke is annoying not to the extent of tear gas or CS gas.

Be advised the correct term is less than lethal not non lethal as there is always a chance some one could die. Less so with rifts system but still a chance. A smoke or tear gas grenade can start a fire in a building. A person can be allergic to CS/tear gas and it can kill them but that is rare. A taser affect could kill a person with a bad heart. If you want to avoid killing you need to be aware of your surroundings.

With rifts tech you could build a sonic disruptor similar to the one the NG uses against gargoyles that causes painful loud noises. (use the same mechanics as the one traix 2 but apply to all people that are not provided hearing protection.)

Now then all this less than lethal is not going to stop a robot.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”