Who would win in a fight?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Whould win in a fight?

Lvl 1 Merc
21%
Lvl 1 Knight
6%
Lvl 1 Palladin
50%
Lvl 1 Witch Hunter
23%

Total votes: 66

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Weapons? Armor? On horseback? Same HtH skill? Need more info, otherwise its just the role of the dice.
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

against whom??

without info, Id say Palladin or Witch Hunter.

Vid
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Janus
Dungeon Crawler
Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus

Unread post by Janus »

Level 1 mercenary. They love a good scrap.
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0
Rpgpunk
Explorer

Unread post by Rpgpunk »

I'd say the Merc. He gets the Dwarven weapon with +3 damage.
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

What no Undead Hunter?

I voted Witch Hunter assuming that there was prep time involved, ie had time to cast Armor of Ithan. Thus the Witch Hunter is damaged least often. Otherwise, my vote would go to the Palladin as it has both good armor and the best initiative. In that circumstance, the Witch Hunter is on much shakier footing relying upon parrying and (depending on properties) its holy weapon to counteract wearing light armor.

What book is it in? Anyone with this info, I would appreciate it.

They are in Yin-Sloth Jungles. Basically, the book introduced at least two classes with access to magical weapons and spells.

The paladin, he charges and lances you. He's better at it than the knight.

This is a melee unmounted combat. Basically, armor and damage-dealing capacity are the important characteristics in this fight. Unfortunately, this poll also assumes familiarity with the aforementioned Yin-Sloth Jungles. With that in mind, one would be prone to vote Witch Hunter due to magical weapons and spellcasting.

Which led me to my question above. The most powerful fighting class in Yin-Sloth Jungles is Undead Hunter. For the same reasons as Witch Hunter plus they have the spell Strength of Utgard Loki and HtH Palladin. Therefore, Undead Hunters win the straight up fight based on my assumption above.

Note: If anyone thought my tone had too much of edge, my apologies. Based on the poll selection and other posts I knew this was about power creep.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

I'd go with Palladin or Witch Hunter. If there was a little space to cast spells, Witch Hunter. If it was all a sudden, close quarters, palladin.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Black Cross wrote:I'm with Tyciol, at least until I know where I can find info on the Witchhunter. What book is it in? Anyone with this info, I would appreciate it.

Yin-Sloth Jungles.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

1st Edition ? Knight or Paladin. 2nd Edition, Mercenary.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Zorklus

Unread post by Zorklus »

Don't underestimate the merc's ability in a fight. With the right skills, it is very possible they could be more powerful than even the palladin in a one on one situation.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The witch hunter, they would take advantage of the others fighting each other by going off and slaying a witch while the others are fighting.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Plague
D-Bee

Unread post by The Plague »

I think Yin-sloth is only 1st ed, so no SDC for witch hunter, thus palladin lances him and instant kills him aswell if he's lucky :P

if transformed to 2nd ed, tehn palladin or witch hunter would win. depends on dice, though mounted combat sure helps, but I don't know the powers of witch hunter.
The Plague
- Professional Palladium Fantasy Board lurker -
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The witch hunter, they would take advantage of the others fighting each other by going off and slaying a witch while the others are fighting.
:ok:
Yea no reason for a witch hunter to fight a pally.

So pally wins; he's the best hand to hand fighter (as we covered already :)).
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Palladin or witch hunter, but you said h2h fight, so I shall go with the Palladin.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

I don't think it matters if we're talking hand to hand or weapons, the Palladin is going to kick everyone's arse. They are the elite warriors of the Palladium World, and their lack of magical abilities plays very little role in this fight. It takes time to cast spells, far more time than it does to swing a sword. So even if the Witch Hunter tried magic, he'd likely get beheaded before he could get the spell off. Someone also said that the merc will fight dirty. What makes you think a Palladin won't fight dirty? There ARE evil Palladins, and one doesn't have to be evil to fight dirty, just have a desire to survive, or win at all costs. The knight is probably the closest in skill to the Palladin combay wise, but the Palladin just has more of an edge. (I'll grant you, Demon Death blow does not play a factor, cause I don't think we're talking any supernatural evil here.) But their training, from everything I've read, is more in depth combat wise because knights always focus a lot of their time learning the skills of dance, public speaking, etc., etc. (Wusses.) Yup, I'd definitely have to say the Palladin wins, hands down.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Which ever one was fighting on the side of Justice of cousre! So it would have to be between the Witch Hunter and the Paladin.
GA
Explorer
Comment: Master of Dirk Diggler Style

Unread post by GA »

Palladins can't lance ground opponents neither can knights those go against the laws of chivalry.

I am inclined to say mercs win. Honestly i haven't researched it but in my opinion in a fair fight Mercs should win, they really have no special ability or training other than physical fighting on the ground. Or at least to be fair since i think they get the most occ related skills, when one thinks of a mercenary they think primarily fighter/brawler unpolished. When one thinks of the other 3 profession other things crop up to mind.

Knights and Palladins have physical ground fighting almost as an afterthought. They have courtly duties, etiquette, tactics, horseback riding and all that other knightly stuff. Witch hunter i assume have something to do with witchs.

So in my opinion the merc should win.
You kill my dog I'ma slay yo cat-Flava Flav, Terminator X to the Edge of Panic, 1988
A man's gotta know his limitations-Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, 1973
No good deed goes unpunished-Clare Booth Luce
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Northern Ranger wrote:I don't think it matters if we're talking hand to hand or weapons, the Palladin is going to kick everyone's arse.

Case Closed.

:ok:
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Yay for necromancy! :D
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

Tyciol wrote:The paladin, he charges and lances you. He's better at it than the knight.

I'm not sure what a witch hunter is, they might be better, so I'm just comparing merc, knight and palladin.

wow you let paladins use a lance on foot?!?! holy smokes that would be nuts to see, but not in my game :-D
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

t0m wrote:
Tyciol wrote:The paladin, he charges and lances you. He's better at it than the knight.

I'm not sure what a witch hunter is, they might be better, so I'm just comparing merc, knight and palladin.

wow you let paladins use a lance on foot?!?! holy smokes that would be nuts to see, but not in my game :-D

I do. It's called a "spear".
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

to me the lance implies being on horseback and charging someone, so i imagined a paladin basically jousting on foot. i would let a guy use a spear as a lance (on horseback) but not the other way around...
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, while all of the classes have their benefits, I think the clear answer is whichever one I am playing.

-Vek
"OCC: Veknironth"
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

I chose the Witch Hunter an I dont know what all thier O.C.C. gets at lvl 1 but on here some one mentioned they get Spells as well as a H O L Y weapon at lvl 1 !!!

Holy weapons according to SEVERAL books only go to the Absolute best warriors an those that have proven themselves time and a again .

Witch Hunter gets spells at lvl 1 . That will overpower anything the Merc , Palladin or the Knight . Put into the mix the Holy weapon ( which will have healing abilities built into the weapon itself ) Gives the Witch Hunter the edge . Especially when you also realize that the Witch Hunter is GOING to know how to Expertly utilize thier Holy Weapon an the weapons innate abilities ..

-Lenwen.
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

I went with Palladin because there is no reason for a Witch Hunter to fight a Palladin, unless he becomes a witch. ;-)

The point was to remind that picking a Witch Hunter or Undead Hunter is more than power out the gates, it's a way of life. Just like being a Palladin is.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Natasha wrote:I went with Palladin because there is no reason for a Witch Hunter to fight a Palladin, unless he becomes a witch. ;-)

The point was to remind that picking a Witch Hunter or Undead Hunter is more than power out the gates, it's a way of life. Just like being a Palladin is.

So then by your own logic the Paladin would not fight either the Witch Hunter or the Knight , The Merc on the otherhand would be a good target for the any of the other Three ..

Any of them would be able to kill some one relatively easy .. So then it becomes not just a Who can inflict the most damage

BUT rather who could HEAL faster .. Therein Lies the power of the Holy weapon of the Witch Hunter . Holy Weapons in an of themselves are innately going to have the healing abilities .. PFRPG rule book says that .

Against the others I stand by my choice. Witch Hunter would win due to bieng able to withstand the MOST damage an being able to HEAL from the damage faster then any of the others . Threw the Holy Weapon as well as magic .. (if they indeed can cast magic )

-Lenwen.
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Lenwen wrote:
Natasha wrote:I went with Palladin because there is no reason for a Witch Hunter to fight a Palladin, unless he becomes a witch. ;-)

So then by your own logic the Paladin would not fight either the Witch Hunter or the Knight , The Merc on the otherhand would be a good target for the any of the other Three ..

Well, casting spells is not hand to hand to begin with. The Holy Weapon could make the difference though, yea, if it came to hand to hand.

It's possible a palladin could get into a fight with one an unjust Witch Hunter. It's also possible for a palladin to get into a fight with a Knight, especially evil ones.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Natasha wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Well, casting spells is not hand to hand to begin with. The Holy Weapon could make the difference though, yea, if it came to hand to hand.

Some spells are directly related to melee combat .

Orb of Daylight - could easily blind them for so long ...
Thunderclap - could easily distract them if placed right ...
Armor of Ithan - instantly rearmor yourself if your armor is shredded ..
Energy Bolt - 150ft range easily fits in melee combat range ...
Paralysis - last 1 minute per lvl .. cant say thats not handy ..

Those are just spells from lvls 1 threw 3 .. an I'm going to hazard a guess but most probably going to be available to the witch hunter at lvl 1 .. I could be wrong tho ..

-Lenwen.
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

The definition of what falls under hand-to-hand combat is certainly important to figure out.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Aye true hand to hand combat would not entail any weapons at all let alone magic .. But for the sake of argument .. each respective combatant is going to use their own weapons an such as is available to each during the combat .

Least from what I seen .

-Lenwen.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Hand to hand means melee, not magic.

Palladin. Of course at level 1 there's not that much of a difference.
At with Second Edition, there almost never is...
Eryk Stormbright
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eryk Stormbright »

i would have to go with the Palladin on this one.
I am master of all I see.... and I see Everything.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”