Another Apok question

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Re: Another Apok question

Unread post by Athos »

Aegis wrote:Now if the answer is yes they can what happens if they are an sdc human, do their hp and sdc turn to mdc. I know that they mask will make them mdc beings anyway.

Yes assuming a human met all the criteria I see no reason why they couldn't be an Apok, and an SDC human would stay an SDC human.
Aegis wrote:Now another question if the answer is again yes to other humans/humanoids what other races do you think can become one.

I would be careful on this one. I would keep it simple, humans and d-bees with human attributes.
Aegis wrote:Now for a totally different question about the apok. What about his spells he can cast like helfire for instance. Can that spell be cast off of wormwood. Like the spells also of invisible to magic seeing, repel symbiotes, heat point and impervious to symbiots.
Would he be able to learn any new spells (I would guess no but I am not sure on that).

No, his spells will only work on Wormwood.

No he cannot learn new spells off Wormwood. His magic is tied to the planet.

These are just the rulings I made on Wormwood in my own campaign.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

He would only get MDC while wearing the mask and only humans.
Wormwood likes humans and it symbiots only work for humans.

No new spells and none of them can be cast off Wormwood.
He's not a mage. Commune with Wormwood spells are like priestly spells not regular magic.
You can't ask Wormwood to shoot some hellfire up from the ground when you're not on the planet.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Personally, if an SDC (human) servant of the Host reached the point of deciding to become an Apok, when he emerges from the cauldron, he's now a minor MDC creature (HP+SDC) with a bonus of 50MDC.

Conversely, if a major MDC human (say 1000 MDC) is in the same situation, he would be dramatically reduced (calculate his HP and SDC as if a normal human, convert it to MDC...going from 1000 to about 100 (or less)) upon his emergence.

But, this is of corse, just MHO... :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

I just don't get it... only people who can become apok are servants of the host, the only ones that have a good likelihood of getting deep enough to become subject to the apok rebirth are those who are native or wormwood... and all wormwood natives are MDC to begin with... there have been enough wrangling about how they can hurt each other without supernatural strength for the thing to be beyond doubt.

now why are people speaking of SDC?

EDIT in any case, if a non native did the whole corruption and redemption schtick, his going into the lifeforce vat would make him equivalent to a wormwood native anyway, with corresponding MDC
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Zerebus wrote:Agreed. The point should be moot as to who can become an Apoc. Very human-like DB's MIGHT be able to do it, but the question shouldn't even come up. It was meant as a human character class.

What is Salome became an Apok?
She is an SDC human who works for the host.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Aegis wrote:Now for another question if a magic user like Salome or Vespers did that would they loose all their normal spell casting abilities or would they retain them after the transformation.

Just more and more questions

Aegis

Totally reborn.
Only memories of their former life. Basically there for motivational purposes.
Everything lost. New stats. The whole works.
-George Orwell
Svartalf
Champion

Honestly, even if Vespers managed to redeem Salomé, I think she'd just turn to the light as she is, not go through the Apok thing... Apok is a fighter OCC, she's a mage, I don't think she'd renounce THAT , even for the Love of Lazarus.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Dr. Doom III wrote:Totally reborn.
Only memories of their former life. Basically there for motivational purposes.
Everything lost. New stats. The whole works.

And vague memories if I recall correctly...except the guilt and shame! :D
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Svartalf
Champion

Just a note. Lazarus is a Good Guy... though a loner, unrecognized and unorthodox.

his likelihood of turning to evil is next to nil...and even if he did, the likelihood of him going the deep end to become a Champion of the Host, and then having another change of mind and returning as an apok are so slim as to be negligible, but for the all powerful tool og writer's/GM's fiat. (which is well known to hold plausibility in the deepest contempt).
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Karg, don't forget that he went through a ritual that tied the symbionts to him, and turned him into a PPE vampire.
Fnord

Ishmael
Wanderer

Unread post by Ishmael »

DarkWarriorKarg wrote:There is an Apok in the Black Vault supplement.

Where in the Black Vault???
Ishmael "Betrayer of Hope" Incantare

Without hope there is nothing.
Svartalf
Champion

Except that this exceptions to the "no symbiot can leave wormwood" rule, while widely accepted, is strictily non official and stated nor hinted at in any officially published material.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Svartalf wrote:Except that this exceptions to the "no symbiot can leave wormwood" rule, while widely accepted, is strictily non official and stated nor hinted at in any officially published material.

It's in the Wormwood book...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Svartalf
Champion

Vrykolas2k wrote:
Svartalf wrote:Except that this exceptions to the "no symbiot can leave wormwood" rule, while widely accepted, is strictily non official and stated nor hinted at in any officially published material.

IIRC, I checked that in the not too far past, and never found a thing.
and people here mentioned that the "exception" came from the old FAQ, not the book itself.

If you know better, could you please remind me the exact page and place?
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Svartalf wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:

IIRC, I checked that in the not too far past, and never found a thing.
and people here mentioned that the "exception" came from the old FAQ, not the book itself.

If you know better, could you please remind me the exact page and place?

Don't have the book with me, but I do remember that it is discussed under the Apok OCC mask abilities. Or was it the symbiote section?
At any rate, I'm certain it's in there, because I had to look it up when one of my group decided to play one.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Ishmael
Wanderer

Unread post by Ishmael »

In the old FAQ Archive this was posted by Tinker Dragoon

Question: From what I can interpret from the O.C.C. description, the Apok is the only symbiote that can leave Wormwood... correct?

Answer: Yes.

Question: How much M.D.C. would an S.D.C. being gain if he became an Apok?

Answer: Assuming it's even possible for an S.D.C. being (not to mention beings other than native Wormwood humans) to become an Apok, the mystical transmutation that takes place should give the character the same M.D.C. that a native Apok would have.
Ishmael "Betrayer of Hope" Incantare

Without hope there is nothing.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Aegis wrote:Since the books doesnt state (unless I am looking over it) who can become an apok. What I mean is can only humans form wormwood become an apok. Or could a human/humanoid from other worlds become one if they met all the criteria ( become a champion of good, turn and side with evil for a while then turn again and enter the life force cauldron). Would someone like Lazerous Vespers be able to become an apok.

The book is indeed unclear on this, but it seems possible to me that any human (and possibly other mortal humanoid races such as elves, dwarves and ogres) could become an Apok upon meeting the prerequisites.

Now if the answer is yes they can what happens if they are an sdc human, do their hp and sdc turn to mdc. I know that they mask will make them mdc beings anyway.

The description states that the Apok is transformed, in a fashion not unlike a Cosmo-Knight, so I think the person would indeed become an M.D.C. being, with the standard M.D.C. for the Apok O.C.C.

Now another question if the answer is again yes to other humans/humanoids what other races do you think can become one.

I'm inclined to restrict it to mortal S.D.C. races, excluding Atlanteans (who would be immune to the transmutation).

Now for a totally different question about the apok. What about his spells he can cast like helfire for instance. Can that spell be cast off of wormwood. Like the spells also of invisible to magic seeing, repel symbiotes, heat point and impervious to symbiots.

The Apok's spells are granted to him by Wormwood, much like a priest and his deity, and as I recall Wormwood's power to grant these spells does not extend beyond itself, so they would only be useable on the living planet. Also, several of the spells specifically employ features of Wormwood and would thus be completely useless elsewhere in the Megaverse anyway.

Would he be able to learn any new spells (I would guess no but I am not sure on that).

No, as he is more akin to a priest or warlock bonded to the planet. However at GM's discretion Wormwood may grant additional spells to its champion.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Tinker Dragoon wrote:The book is indeed unclear on this, but it seems possible to me that any human (and possibly other mortal humanoid races such as elves, dwarves and ogres) could become an Apok upon meeting the prerequisites.

Wormwood symbiots only work on humans. So Ogres have an outside chance. The others have none.
-George Orwell
DBX
Hero

maybe on a tangent

Unread post by DBX »

apologies for any repotion, not read all the reply messages to this.

In my opinion, the Apok is probably the best occ/rcc that is in palladiumbooks (however i have not read too many of the PFRPG books (got about four of them) & Nightbane) but our group has nearly all of the Rifts books, HU books, BTS & TMNT/ATB books.

In our scenarios, we have used Apok a handful of times in Rifts settings- though they are fairly limited in their powers, other than their Mask, they lose their Wormwood stuff (as the Wormwood stuff only works there & there alone).

Right from the time we got the Wormwood book, we allowed the Apok to be gamed in Rifts setting, whether this was because all us players thought it was such a excellent***** occ, that to limit it to Wormwood only was a crime!!!!!!!

forget the Apok occ stats in Wormwood book, The intro fluff text to it is just it!!!!!! second to none, only the demon queller & Warlock Marine occ's description captures the flavour of these occ's, certainly in the way i see these occ's.................

In my opinion any rcc/anywhere in the Megaverse can become an Apok, as long as they are sufficiently evil & have a megaversal proportion change of heart ( a road to Damascus epiphany)

we have had characters reborn on wormwood, or just suddenly become Apoks or even a charcter's multiple personality is an Apok occ. there are few ways you can have an Apok occ running around in the Rifts Megaverse, albeit it is house rules...........

In my opinion the Apok occ, is a quintiessential Rifts Megaverse occ ( just going by the fluff text, not its stats!!!!!!!!!.

if you could pick an occ suited to Rifts, Apok is right up there. i am surrprised that it did not make an appearance in any of the countless Rifts books

Our rp'ing group have used the Apok transformation to resurrect a character, who was dead (after the player decided to rp a Principled alignment character rather than an anrachist so and so!!!!!!!!!-as he knew the character would be killed, as the other group members weren't going to rescue him when he was captured- he had done too many things to their players for the other gamers not to **** him up, when they got the chance)

the saidf player wasn't keen to lose the charcter he had been rp'ing for two years, when he had a few splugortian tentacles inserted where the sun don't shine, after he freed some slaves,

& as the character he had been rp'ing was a right evil, sadistic *******- the player more or less sold his grandmother to Atlantis ( Well the other gaming group player characters into the gladitorial arena for atlantean enhancements....... i decided to let him live & this gave us a few new interesting scenarios
& the player had the chance to rp a character he hadn't rp'ed before..........( The GM was very strict to ensure he rp'ed an Apok occ as we saw the Apok occ in Rifts)

In the above example, the character lost all his funky enhancements-mainly biowizard stuff, his eveil alignment greatest rune sword, all his skills ( he was two lvl 5 occ's), this player may also have lost his memory{ the gm may have let him get his memory back/his past- each new lvl he attained, depending on if the player rp'ed as an Apok-rather than his usual way

he just got the mask, & Apok equipment & occ skills-but none of the other stuff that worked only on Wormwood, & oh!!!!!!!! he was Principled alignment.

& for the player who liked his characters to acquire material goods. his characters tended to hoard magial items, cash.............
it was a challenge for the gamer to have his character do good for no gain, i.e leave the battle fury blades in the hands of the warrior he had just defeated, or not to empty out a CS apc, after the group had stopped them wiping a d-bee village..............

returning the greatest rune wepaon to their rightful owners, rather than using them himself, after rescuing them from the thives who stole it...............
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

DarkWarriorKarg wrote:
Aegis wrote:Now for a totally different question about the apok. What about his spells he can cast like helfire for instance. Can that spell be cast off of wormwood. Like the spells also of invisible to magic seeing, repel symbiotes, heat point and impervious to symbiots.

There is an Apok in the Black Vault supplement. , Hellfire, invisible to magic seeing, repel symbiotes, heat point and impervious to symbiotes are permitted him outside of Wormwood due to the fact that they are "tied to his nature". They do cost twice to cast, though.
Uh, Karg??

How would he have those Powers outside of Wormwood when most of them manipulate the Planet Wormwood to some form or another??

It's far more likely that he retains those Powers, and, should he ever get back to Wormwood, will be able to use them again.

BTW, where in the "Black Vault" Sourcebook is this Apok?? If you can show (tell) me where he is, it will help to answer a Question in another Forum.....
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”