Marvel sues City of Heroes

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Marcantony
Adventurer

Marvel sues City of Heroes

Unread post by Marcantony »

No, Im not kidding.

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread. ... adid=21377

"According to a report from the Associated Press, Marvel has filed suit against the producers of the popular super-hero MMORPG, City of Heroes, NC Soft and Cryptic Studios Inc. The suit claims that the game violates Marvel’s trademark characters. Marvel is seeking unspecified damages as well as an injunction to force the two companies to stop using its characters.

While the game does not have, or feature Marvel characters, Marvel claims that the game’s character-creation engine allows players to create characters which are virtually identical to its characters, such as a giant, green ‘tanker’ style character whose powers are science based, which would be similar to the Hulk; or a mutant-based characters whose powers and costume could be seen as being nearly identical to Wolverine.

Marvel also claims that the game allows players to name their characters after its characters, though, according to the City of Heroes rulebook, players are not allowed to name their characters after copyrighted characters, and doing so is a violation of the game's Terms of Service; though quasi-identical variations would be able to get through the name system - for example, the City of Heroes Official Strategy Guide (licensed by Prima, and approved by NCSoft and Cryptic Studio) includes a comic strip where three characters that look like Marvel's Wolverine, calling themselves Wulferine, Wolvereen, and Wulverine, joke about who's the "real" character.

While Marvel claims that NCSoft and Cryptic Studios are responsible for what is on their servers where player play the game, at issue is also whether or not the companies can be held responsible for what players wish to do, and whether or not NCSoft and Cryptic should be acting as de facto agents for Marvel in actively protecting Marvel’s copyrights.

Also mentioned in the suit is Marvel’s allegation that the ability of players to create characters so close to Marvel characters has disrupted its business prospects for seeing its own MMORPG based on Marvel characters, which has been in development at Vivendi for years.

If the suit does go to court, pundits are already pointing out that it will be a landmark case in the matter of electronic rights.

From the AP Article by Alex Veiga:

”The Marvel lawsuit appears to be the first to raise this question in the scope of an online game. But early copyright infringement lawsuits brought by recording companies against pioneer file-sharing service Napster successfully argued Napster was liable for its customers' sharing of music online because they could do so only by accessing the company's computer system.

”The argument can still be made that "City of Heroes'' is only empowering users to the same degree that an establishment like Kinkos enables customers to make paper copies of copyrighted material, said Fred von Lohmann, senior intellectual property attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

"Is it a violation of copyright to make up a character in the virtual world or is that fair use?'' von Lohmann said. "This is really untested ground in the courts.''

The move is in line with Marvel's previous actions, specifically in June of 2003, when Marvel shut down a site that provided skins (designs for characters) resembling Marvel characters for Freedom Force. In that instance though, Marvel went after the producers of the skins (who were not doing it for profit), rather than Irrational Games, the studio which produces Freedom Force. With City of Heroes you cannot import skins which are external to the game, rather all characters, from look to powers, must be created using the game's tools."

Oh fer... :badbad:
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

This sucks.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

uuuuuugh....... i wish that coh players would just respect the laws and GET A FREAKING SENSE OF ORIGINALITY. :x i'm not speaking of you good players, i'm speaking of those neat little twelve-year-olds that think of the game as their own personal a$$hattery grounds...... sorry, i'm a little impassioned about this subject.....
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Marcantony
Adventurer

Darkwind wrote:Marvel, if you do not like it, shut up and make your own and show that yours is better or adds something new to the genre, otherwise quite hating!!

Funny you should mention that...

Marvel's releasing its own online version early next year.

Coincidence?
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

And, of course, everyone misses the real reason why the lawsuit.

If Marvel *doesn't* sue, they very well could lose exclusive rights to their own property.

If they let people run arond with characters called "The Hulk" that are big, green, and wearing purple shorts... and *especially* whomping on bad guys... courts can rule that "The Hulk" is no longer a trademark... it is now generic (and public domain).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

It's not City of Heroes that's doing the infringing, but they *do* have the power and responsibility to stop it.

Mind you, I don't doubt that Marvel contacted NCSoft a week or two ago and said "Heads up, we have to do this or lose our 'mark."
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

I never saw Marvel sue Neversoft for using Wolverine as an unlockable character in the THPS series games. This seems to be a recent change in their policies...
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
Cyclone
Explorer

Unread post by Cyclone »

Snowtiger wrote:I never saw Marvel sue Neversoft for using Wolverine as an unlockable character in the THPS series games. This seems to be a recent change in their policies...

Well, Neversoft did do the grunt work on the PS Spider-man game, which included a Tony Hawk billboard which triggers Spidey to claim he skated with Tony, so Marvel very likely were asked...
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

So, I logged on to CoH today, just to take a look around. See if there are a bunch of Marvel, or other, clones. Well, it took me about 15 minutes to see a Mr. Incredible clone. Man, some people have no originality.

There were people who resembled other characters from comics, but the names were different. And they were just different enough not to look totally like who I thought they looked like. So, it seems like a small minority is causing problems for people like me who log on to have fun. Jerks.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

MrTwist wrote:So, I logged on to CoH today, just to take a look around. See if there are a bunch of Marvel, or other, clones. Well, it took me about 15 minutes to see a Mr. Incredible clone. Man, some people have no originality.

There were people who resembled other characters from comics, but the names were different. And they were just different enough not to look totally like who I thought they looked like. So, it seems like a small minority is causing problems for people like me who log on to have fun. Jerks.

precisely. :x
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I know. I'll wait until City of Villains comes out. Then I'll create a bad guy called The Lawyer. Then I'll hunt down comic clones and kill them.
---Penn Jillette
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jockitch74 »

I hope CoH figures it out and gets rid of all the comic clones.
"Knowledge is the key to the universe"
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Traska wrote:And, of course, everyone misses the real reason why the lawsuit.

If Marvel *doesn't* sue, they very well could lose exclusive rights to their own property.

If they let people run arond with characters called "The Hulk" that are big, green, and wearing purple shorts... and *especially* whomping on bad guys... courts can rule that "The Hulk" is no longer a trademark... it is now generic (and public domain).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

It's not City of Heroes that's doing the infringing, but they *do* have the power and responsibility to stop it.

Mind you, I don't doubt that Marvel contacted NCSoft a week or two ago and said "Heads up, we have to do this or lose our 'mark."

Excellent point, except that
a) a private person using a generic system not specifically geared for it to create clones for non money generating use would be "fair use", especially as too close approximation of TMed characters (design/looks/name combo) is not allowed, and too close clone are arbitrarily renamed or removed.

So Marvel's trademark is definitely neither diluted nor abandoned.... If they don't like their IP to be popular, they can stop making it.

To me, this is no more than corporate hi stakes bullying/blackmail/extortion.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

GREATMask wrote:City of Heroes is the one that charges per month, right?

Yes...
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

I'm sorry but Marvel is totally going overbaord. It's free advertisemnt that isn't costing them anything. Do you think that anyone who buys COH isn't going to be the ofifical marvel version?

I have no respect for marvel whatsoever. I was fearful when they announced that they were going bankrupt years ago and was going to miss them dearly. A comic industry without the hulk and cap or Punisher, It would've been too much of a void.

But now I couldn't care less. I lost SO much repsect for mcfarlan when he made Palladium change the name of Nightspawn for ignorant reasons and now Marvel,.... :(

They are just kids creating their own heroes and the heroes they love. And every geek into them will want the official marvel version

The evil that is mega corp greed is now firmly within the bosom of marvel, may it rot in hell. Marvel is slowly losing it's soul and losing it's creative fun. Is marvel the next Disney?
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Mr. Montague wrote:The evil that is mega corp greed is now firmly within the bosom of marvel, may it rot in hell. Marvel is slowly losing it's soul and losing it's creative fun. Is marvel the next Disney?

No, they're trying to protect their trademarks so 6 months down the line some company doesn't come off with a Wolverine rip-off and point to CoH's as an example of Marvel not doing anything to protect their trademark and as why they should now be able to make said character. It's buisness pure and simple, and I wouldn't be suprised to see CoH and Marvel settle this out of court.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
KillWatch
Champion

there are already a lot of wolvie clones and vaguely disguised wolvie clones. Hell in the new Youngblood two of the primary characters are getting BJs from a Scott with ruby glasses and a short hairy canadian dressed up as their GFs. I decided about then not to read anymore of the series, but it was there. Where do you draw the line and why can't we use some common sense.
Slippery Slope scenario Super Hero RPGs will be illegal and so will Fan Fics with these characters. Freedom of expression makeway for the law of greed. Agreed that is taking a bit far, but who would thunk that we would have re-elected bush?
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Mr. Montague wrote:there are already a lot of wolvie clones and vaguely disguised wolvie clones. Hell in the new Youngblood two of the primary characters are getting BJs from a Scott with ruby glasses and a short hairy canadian dressed up as their GFs. I decided about then not to read anymore of the series, but it was there. Where do you draw the line and why can't we use some common sense.
Slippery Slope scenario Super Hero RPGs will be illegal and so will Fan Fics with these characters. Freedom of expression makeway for the law of greed. Agreed that is taking a bit far, but who would thunk that we would have re-elected bush?

I hate to break it to you, but unless it falls under parody it's a violation of their trademark, and yes it IS a slippery slope for them because if they don't defend their trademarks they lose them. You have EVERY right to freely express yourself, but NOT using someone elses hard work and promition to sell YOUR product is nothing more then theft. If Palladium had Wolverine or a character that looked just like Wolverine on the cover of their book they could be sued for that and they WOULD be in the wrong since the only reason to have that is an attempt to drum up sales. CoH's is a touchy situation because they have powers like claws that are OBVIOUSLY inspired by Wolverine with the 3 retractable metal claws, and while the EULA asks you not to make a visual clone you are stuck with a TON of them anyway. Personally I still say they'll settle out of court and CoH will go after these goobers more pro-activly for a while. But saying it's just over greed is silly, Marvel is doing this to protect THEIR money makers, somethng that is their right.

Daniel Stoker
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

and for the average gamers response......http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20041112
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
KillWatch
Champion

Ok but using your example, COH is still ok since it didn't put Wolvie on the cover of their box nor did it put it in the game as a premade character
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Mr. Montague wrote:Ok but using your example, COH is still ok since it didn't put Wolvie on the cover of their box nor did it put it in the game as a premade character

Actually no it isn't because they made it so you had all the options to make a wolverine looking character IN their game and what do you know, a number of people did make said character. It represents a 'dilution of trademark' and if they don't sue or seek legal action in 6 months someone can make their own Wolverine character and then point out how Marvel didn't do anything in regards to CoH's. It's the same as when they went after the websites hosting the Freedom Force skins of their characters, excpet this time NCSoft is 'hosting' the material.

Daniel Stoker
KillWatch
Champion

nobody told them to make the wolverines
and the line should be if someone makes a wolvie clone and makes money off of it then it's actionable but not simply by letting people create it.

Like I said RPGs hell even Pencils and Sketch pads are in danger then
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Mr. Montague wrote:nobody told them to make the wolverines
and the line should be if someone makes a wolvie clone and makes money off of it then it's actionable but not simply by letting people create it.

Like I said RPGs hell even Pencils and Sketch pads are in danger then

No because the books themselves aren't stating the copyrighted character, and unless you post the stats online where it can be disseminated your ok. Which is one of the reasons why Palladium is so anal about NO conversions. COH on the other hand is online and is available to thousands of people who can take the character generation choices and make copies of trademarked characters that the EULA tells you not to make... but that also states are the property of NCSoft. And it doesn't even have to be that CoH is making money off the character, it could be the simple fact that they let it exist on their servers that causes a dilution of the trademark which could be pointed to in a LATER suit to challange Marvels ownership of the character.

Daniel Stoker
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

I Actually Agree with Marvel on this, but to a point.

If CoH's CS people are tight on it, Semi-Clones wont Exist.

the Problem could coem if they are not, and someon get a Hero to Security Level 50+ and Decideds to Ebay/PlayerAuction his character...

"Level 50 Mutant Brawler "Wolverinee" Justice server (NR)"

People can and do Sell there MMORPG Characters alot. Some high Level people on my EQ servr have Made over $1000 selling there "Time and work in EQ"... Thou its Clearly against EULA Policy... Surley Palladium would Sue a MMORPG if they Let you build a "Cyber-paladin" and Name him "Lore Coake".
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Here's the thrust of the problem:

CoH allows you through a versatile game engne) to make *very* similar heroes to Marvel heroes... not as much DC (seriously... Wolverine, Invisible Woman, and Hulk are a lot easier than Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman.)

CoH charges money to create heroes.

Players make duplicates, name them "Wolvereen", "Wolferine", and "W.olverine"

NCSoft puts a clause in that all creations are the property of NCSoft (standard for MMORPGs).

NCSoft, therefore, is making money off the clones.

That is a BIG NoNo.
Marcantony
Adventurer

DarkWarriorKarg wrote:Marvel are a trifle sue happy.

They were suing Sony over spiderman...
While at the same time working with them for the PS2 game...

That was actually a ploy at the time by Jemas to get Sony to buy Marvel. The current owners of Marvel want to sell but unlike Jemas werent keen on Sony. So Jemas came up with this plan to sue Sony so they would buy out Marvel and thus make the lawsuit go away.

Jemas is now gone. And I *think* the lawsuit against Sony was either dropped or dismissed. Cant remember which now.
Agent_gir
Explorer

Unread post by Agent_gir »

if marvel wins this law suit then we can all kiss open gaming good buy and confine ourselves to playing pong. there are so many super hero comics past and present it's almost impossible to make a character that is 100% orginal.

even in the HU book you can match a charcter to any power.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

DarkWarriorKarg wrote:This sums up my view...

http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20041112

To bad they're wrong. :p

Daniel Stoker
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Daniels absolutely right on all of the points he's mentioned here. Marvel has to protect their marks in this instance or lose them. Don't be surprised if DC gets involved in this in some way. All Marvel has to do is prove that CoH knew people were creating characters that were copies of their characters and they did nothing to stop them, i.e. deleting their characters, making them change the characters, etc. and Marvel has 'em. Oh and making money off of someone's IP isn't a necessary requirement to prove infringement (even though CoH does indeed make money off of Marvel's characters), distribution is the key.
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

CoH will likely get a revamped EULA. It only says you can't use a character name which violates someone else's trademark and such. They actually might make some kind of approval board. At least, that's what I would do. Get a group of people to approve of new characters before they are let on the server. Mainly, you make a char, then check back to see if it's approved. If it seems to violate someone's property then it gets deleted. That might sound like a lot of work, but it's better than getting sued.
---Penn Jillette
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

DarkWarriorKarg wrote:This sums up my view...

http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20041112

i had posted that back on page 2, as "the average gamers response"
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Maryann wrote:Daniels absolutely right on all of the points he's mentioned here. Marvel has to protect their marks in this instance or lose them. Don't be surprised if DC gets involved in this in some way. All Marvel has to do is prove that CoH knew people were creating characters that were copies of their characters and they did nothing to stop them, i.e. deleting their characters, making them change the characters, etc. and Marvel has 'em. Oh and making money off of someone's IP isn't a necessary requirement to prove infringement (even though CoH does indeed make money off of Marvel's characters), distribution is the key.

Just to add to this, I wish I could find and article backing it up, but apparently DC has already sent CoH a 'cease and desist' letter in regards to their copyrighted characters, but haven't done their own lawsuit yet. So they too have taken notice of this and are making rumbling noises.

Daniel Stoker
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Maryann wrote:All Marvel has to do is prove that CoH knew people were creating characters that were copies of their characters and they did nothing to stop them, i.e. deleting their characters, making them change the characters, etc. and Marvel has 'em.
Then Marvel is going to lose. They state in the EULA that users shouldn't create TM'ed characters (they in no way endorse it) and they DO actively delete such characters. Marvel is doing this, knowing they'll probably lose, simply to cover their own ass when their own game comes out. If they win, hey, they just hurt the potential competition for their own game-in-development, but then it also opens them up to lawsuits from DC and other comic companies when people make "B4TM4N" or "S00perman" in the marvel game.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Cardiac wrote:
Maryann wrote:All Marvel has to do is prove that CoH knew people were creating characters that were copies of their characters and they did nothing to stop them, i.e. deleting their characters, making them change the characters, etc. and Marvel has 'em.
Then Marvel is going to lose. They state in the EULA that users shouldn't create TM'ed characters (they in no way endorse it) and they DO actively delete such characters. Marvel is doing this, knowing they'll probably lose, simply to cover their own ass when their own game comes out. If they win, hey, they just hurt the potential competition for their own game-in-development, but then it also opens them up to lawsuits from DC and other comic companies when people make "B4TM4N" or "S00perman" in the marvel game.

Except I STILL see Marvel character clones running around like happy little goobers on Justice.

Daniel Stoker
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Cardiac wrote:

No they won't lose, you can't just post a note saying "don't do that". You have to actively monitor your site and be proactive in fixing the problem. I don't think Marvel will lose if this ever gets to court.
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

Maryann wrote:
No they won't lose, you can't just post a note saying "don't do that". You have to actively monitor your site and be proactive in fixing the problem. I don't think Marvel will lose if this ever gets to court.

They do that. Thay have naming filters in place to catch the most uncreative attempts, they specifically designed the costume generator so that you couldn't recreate any character 100%, they have GM's who actively monitor for "clones," and they encourage other players to report any violations, all on top of the EULA itself. I don't think it's an easy open-and-shut case for either side if it actually gets to court.

PigLick
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Yes, they exist and I report them every time I see them and I usually get a GM response that it will be investigated within minutes.

That's passive, not active. That's relying on players to police the community and not doing it themselves. If they had active protection, at the *very* least there would be two full-time GMs (completely invisible to PCs) stationed, one in Atlas and one in Galaxy, just waiting for people to pop in after they go through Outbreak. Clone? Pop, into a "jail" zone, where another dedicated GM waits to explain what you did and delete the character/place a mark on your record (if you log out before they get to you, you're just flat out deleted and marked with no explaination). Three GMs per 8 hours per server. That would catch, oh, 99% of them guarenteed.
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

There are several instances of Outbreak sometimes, but not since Beta have I seen "Atlas Park 1" or "Galaxy City 3".

Oh, I will say this. Yes, I have made clones. But (and this is a BIG but), tey never see the light of Outbreak. I do it just to do it, then backup out of character creation.

EDIT: Oh, to deal with costume changes... assign someone to Icon, and require new costumes to be worn for at least 30 seconds before you can create the next/exit the costume creation system.
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Last night... as in less than 24 hours ago... saw a polaris clone. Green hair, etc. So, obviously, Cryptic and NCSoft are *still not* taking this seriously.

Pity.

Because I can guarantee you, they will.
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

If they *were* taking things seriously, they would have taken care of the clones before I saw them.

Like the claws/regen scrapper I saw today, "Woverine -X".

I love the game, or I wouldn't be playing it. But Marvel has a valid point... I just hope Cryptic takes care of their house before it goes to court.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Traska wrote:If they *were* taking things seriously, they would have taken care of the clones before I saw them.

Like the claws/regen scrapper I saw today, "Woverine -X".

I love the game, or I wouldn't be playing it. But Marvel has a valid point... I just hope Cryptic takes care of their house before it goes to court.

They have several hundred thousand subscribers, all of whom can make as many as, what, 100 or so characters each (8 on each server). That's potentially millions of characters. There's is no possible way they can be expected to catch every clone themselves, let alone in a timely manner. Not to mention not every GM is going to know every Marvel character out there (in fact, many probably know very few. They're just employees of the company, not necessarily comics gurus). They have naming filters set up, their GMs keep their eyes open, and they ask their players to report other players who have violated the rules. Did you report the Polaris clone?

That's why it's a logical fallacy. Just because you saw one doesn't mean they aren't taking this seriously, it just means it is an impossible task to catch every single violation, and the ones they do catch may take some time. It doesn't mean they aren't taking it seriously.

PigLick
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

They *should* be knowledgable about their material (comic books).

It is their responsbility (not the players', and not Marvel's) to make sure that clones do not occur.

Here's a way to combat it: When a character is made, an image snapshot of said character is sent to the GM HQ. There, a dedicated GM examines each and every new character (both look and name) and cross references it against all known characters. Name alone wouldn't be enough to disqualify, but costume could be (green skin, purple shorts, huge character model, full height and musculature).

The simple fact is, simply waiting for players to do the policing isn't going to cut it. It *is* their responsibility to do the policing, and if they don't have the manpower to handle it, then maybe the launch of CoH is premature. Maybe they should have waited until they were ready for such a game, as much as I adore it... it *is* the best MMORPG out there, but I want it to remain out there.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Traska wrote:They *should* be knowledgable about their material (comic books).

It is their responsbility (not the players', and not Marvel's) to make sure that clones do not occur.

Here's a way to combat it: When a character is made, an image snapshot of said character is sent to the GM HQ. There, a dedicated GM examines each and every new character (both look and name) and cross references it against all known characters. Name alone wouldn't be enough to disqualify, but costume could be (green skin, purple shorts, huge character model, full height and musculature).

The simple fact is, simply waiting for players to do the policing isn't going to cut it. It *is* their responsibility to do the policing, and if they don't have the manpower to handle it, then maybe the launch of CoH is premature. Maybe they should have waited until they were ready for such a game, as much as I adore it... it *is* the best MMORPG out there, but I want it to remain out there.

Do you realize how completely unfeasible that would be? Cross referencing the (probable) millions (at least hundreds of thousands) of generated characters versus the hundreds or thousands of known characters from other companies is simply not a possible solution.

Also, as has been mentioned multiple times, they don't just wait for players to do the policing. All the GMs actively look out for breaches and take action on those that they see, on top of the filters (and possible database-combing algorithms- wouldn't surprise me), EULA, and encouraging players to report the breaches.

PigLick
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

That Polaris clone you saw, did they actually use the name Polaris? Or did it just look a lot like her?
---Penn Jillette
Cyclone
Explorer

Unread post by Cyclone »

MrTwist wrote:That Polaris clone you saw, did they actually use the name Polaris? Or did it just look a lot like her?

Not to mention it could have just as easily been a clone of Fire from DC comics, another female with green hair...
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Named Polaris... I wouldn't have thought anything of just a green-haired woman.

And as for it being completely unfeasible for them to do the cross-referencing... they're going to have to do *something*, because like it or not, Marvel has a valid point. Cryptic *is* making money off of Marvel's Intellectual Property (unless the game has a clause I'm not aware of allowing those who make clones to play for free).

This was a problem that was talked about when the game was announced, and has been talked about for years. The fact that they didn't take care of it before a lawsuit occurred shows either a) they don't take it seriously (in which case they'd better start, quickly) or b) they don't have the resources to take care of it. But not having the resources still doesn't absolve them of blame, unfortunately.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Traska wrote:Named Polaris... I wouldn't have thought anything of just a green-haired woman.

And as for it being completely unfeasible for them to do the cross-referencing... they're going to have to do *something*, because like it or not, Marvel has a valid point. Cryptic *is* making money off of Marvel's Intellectual Property (unless the game has a clause I'm not aware of allowing those who make clones to play for free).

This was a problem that was talked about when the game was announced, and has been talked about for years. The fact that they didn't take care of it before a lawsuit occurred shows either a) they don't take it seriously (in which case they'd better start, quickly) or b) they don't have the resources to take care of it. But not having the resources still doesn't absolve them of blame, unfortunately.

No, you missed an option: they idd have the resources and are taking care of it, but Marvel sued anyway in order to have it on record that they challenged it, therefore protecting their IP. It's hardly a foregone conlusion that Marvel will win the case, assuming it even gets to court. There's a good chance they will settle before even getting that far. I'm sure Marvel would love it if things were ruled in their favor, hurting CoH, but even if that doesn't happen this was something Marvel felt they had to do in order to preserve their IP rights. Win or lose (or never get to court), that will be accomplished (not to mention giving them precedent for what to expect and how to plan for their own upcoming game), so they make out either way.

PigLick
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

You keep assuming Marvel wants to hurt CoH.

It's just as likely (if not moreso) that they just want to protect what's theirs.

If I have someone arrested for stealing from me, that's not trying to hurt them. That's trying to protect myself.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Traska wrote:You keep assuming Marvel wants to hurt CoH.

It's just as likely (if not moreso) that they just want to protect what's theirs.

If I have someone arrested for stealing from me, that's not trying to hurt them. That's trying to protect myself.

No, I'm assuming it's *possible* (though I do admit I tihnk it's likely) that they'd like to hurt CoH, but whether they're actually trying to do that or not, they are trying to protect themselves. You, however, seem to be assuming that CoH has done/is doing nothing to protect itself, which is obviously not the case either.

PigLick
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

It's not that they haven't done anything... they just obviously haven't done enough.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Traska wrote:It's not that they haven't done anything... they just obviously haven't done enough.

Well, so Marvel contends. But I'm not (and I seriously doubt you are, either) in the position to make that ruling.

PigLick

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”