Hypertechnology Vs. Brute force; Needs work...

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DhAkael
Knight

Hypertechnology Vs. Brute force; Needs work...

Unread post by DhAkael »

The most annoying thing I've noticed thus far is the disparrity in power levels Vs. technology in most of the starships & mecha throughout the Megaversal collection.
For Example; Zentaedi Thurval-Sallan Vs. Kreeghor Doombringer. Both designs are created for mass destruction, yet the cannons on the Zent ship are far superior in range & damage output in comparrison to ANY tri-galactic cap-ship, and only lacks the shielding technology.
Conversly, a suit of MAN-sized power armour from the Tri-gals (even the non-flight capable kreeghor warrior suit) could wipe the floor with shrapnel left by any of the mecha from the (much lammented) Robotech / Macross dimensions.
And how about the Mechanoids; a trans-dimensional threat?! Pu-leez, NOWHERE in any of the previously written books has it been shown that they have anything, tech-wise, that could be a major threat. Okay; it is INFERRED they have the abbility to eat suns and disect planets...show me the numbers!
Only areas I can see them having advantages; psionics in bionic bodies and sheer weight of numbers.
Hell, their mighty moon-sized mother ships can only travel at just over lightspeed (1.01C), NOT a threat for most of the tech in later books for star farring empires. The Attorians could theoreticaly hold off a Mechanoid mother ship with minimal casualties.
Thus, more work for the GM to "fill in the blanks". :P
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Syndicate
Adventurer

Re: Hypertechnology Vs. Brute force; Needs work...

Unread post by Syndicate »

DhAkael wrote:And how about the Mechanoids; a trans-dimensional threat?! Pu-leez, NOWHERE in any of the previously written books has it been shown that they have anything, tech-wise, that could be a major threat. Okay; it is INFERRED they have the abbility to eat suns and disect planets...show me the numbers!
Only areas I can see them having advantages; psionics in bionic bodies and sheer weight of numbers.
Hell, their mighty moon-sized mother ships can only travel at just over lightspeed (1.01C), NOT a threat for most of the tech in later books for star farring empires. The Attorians could theoreticaly hold off a Mechanoid mother ship with minimal casualties.
Thus, more work for the GM to "fill in the blanks". :P

See the Mechanoid Invasion Trilogy...
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Re: Hypertechnology Vs. Brute force; Needs work...

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

DhAkael wrote:The most annoying thing I've noticed thus far is the disparrity in power levels Vs. technology in most of the starships & mecha throughout the Megaversal collection.
For Example; Zentaedi Thurval-Sallan Vs. Kreeghor Doombringer. Both designs are created for mass destruction, yet the cannons on the Zent ship are far superior in range & damage output in comparrison to ANY tri-galactic cap-ship, and only lacks the shielding technology.

WHy are the Zentraedi fighting the Kreeghor?
Or do I even want to know?
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I think the disparity might be beccause the Robotech statistics were based on materials provided from Harmony Gold for the Robotech RPG. Meanwhile the Phase World statistics were created by CJ Carella for use in the Phase World Setting of the Rifts RPG.

In short you're comparing stuff from two different RPGs - it's like contemplating the similarities of round yellowish red citrus fruit and a red or green orb shaped fruit often found in pies.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Jefffar wrote:I think the disparity might be beccause the Robotech statistics were based on materials provided from Harmony Gold for the Robotech RPG. Meanwhile the Phase World statistics were created by CJ Carella for use in the Phase World Setting of the Rifts RPG.

In short you're comparing stuff from two different RPGs - it's like contemplating the similarities of round yellowish red citrus fruit and a red or green orb shaped fruit often found in pies.
What Jester said..and it's like comparing Apples and Oranges, too.

:thwak:

OW!!!! What did I say?!?!?
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
DhAkael
Knight

Then they should BE seperate RPG's

Unread post by DhAkael »

Jefffar wrote:I think the disparity might be beccause the Robotech statistics were based on materials provided from Harmony Gold for the Robotech RPG. Meanwhile the Phase World statistics were created by CJ Carella for use in the Phase World Setting of the Rifts RPG.

I dunno...KS is always spewing out tripe about his "Universal megaversal system" etc etc etc.
Then it should BE universal.
But as I said at the begining of the postings, the Zent ships have MUCH better battery weaponry, while the PW ships are ineffective gimps in relation, BUT they have shileds. It's kinda the whole argument "Which is better; long range artilery from unprotected locations (no shields) or short range bombardment from behind fortification".
So I guess it does ballance out in the end.
Still doesn't explain why the ranges for the PW space based weapons are so damned short though...

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Re: Then they should BE seperate RPG's

Unread post by cornholioprime »

DhAkael wrote:

I dunno...KS is always spewing out tripe about his "Universal megaversal system" etc etc etc.
Then it should BE universal.
But as I said at the begining of the postings, the Zent ships have MUCH better battery weaponry, while the PW ships are ineffective gimps in relation, BUT they have shileds. It's kinda the whole argument "Which is better; long range artilery from unprotected locations (no shields) or short range bombardment from behind fortification".
So I guess it does ballance out in the end.
Still doesn't explain why the ranges for the PW space based weapons are so damned short though...
And THAT'S the point Jefffar was trying to make.

The Zentraedi don't have BETTER Weaponry; they have DIFFERENT Weaponry. The distinction is more than it appears to be when you think about it.

Long, long ago in a Galaxy far, far away, Harmony Gold said "KevSim, we want our Ships to do this, that, and so and so." Kevin didn't really create the Robotech RPG, even if he wrote EVERY Article. The creators of Robotech effectively created the RPG, and they wanted these vast ranges and humungous Damage Totals not for we in Rifts, but for their Fans, most of which have probably never even SEEN another Palladium Books Product, let alone bought it........
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I agree with corn and jeff.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”