M.D.C. or S.D.C. World

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kaleb
D-Bee
Location: Discussing metaphysical realities with Thoth & Marduk

M.D.C. or S.D.C. World

Unread post by Kaleb »

I am in the process of working on a netbook/dimension book and I am hoping to get the opinion of some people from the board regarding the races that I am creating.

The problem that I am having is trying to determine if I should make the races of the world that I am creating MDC or SDC. The world is not a high tech world persay but it is not without the occasional robot or high tech vehicle. Most of the technology-like stuff is a variation on TW items. This is where my delema comes from. If this were a world like Wormwood then I would just make all of the races that were native to the planet MDC but that would put player characters who wanted to use an existing character at a disadvantage if their character is an SDC creature rather than an MDC creature. Alternatively, if I make all of the races SDC and all of the items/equipment/buildings/etc SDC (and applying an A.R. where applicable) then I have to convert everything that characters bring from MDC dimensions into SDC values or at least provide conversion tables.

So, if you have any suggestions I would appreciate anything that you could submit.
"Of course my hammer broke your sword, you tried to hit me with it."

Kaleb the Blacksmith
TechnoGothic
Knight

Re: M.D.C. or S.D.C. World

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Kaleb wrote:I am in the process of working on a netbook/dimension book and I am hoping to get the opinion of some people from the board regarding the races that I am creating.

The problem that I am having is trying to determine if I should make the races of the world that I am creating MDC or SDC. The world is not a high tech world persay but it is not without the occasional robot or high tech vehicle. Most of the technology-like stuff is a variation on TW items. This is where my delema comes from. If this were a world like Wormwood then I would just make all of the races that were native to the planet MDC but that would put player characters who wanted to use an existing character at a disadvantage if their character is an SDC creature rather than an MDC creature. Alternatively, if I make all of the races SDC and all of the items/equipment/buildings/etc SDC (and applying an A.R. where applicable) then I have to convert everything that characters bring from MDC dimensions into SDC values or at least provide conversion tables.

So, if you have any suggestions I would appreciate anything that you could submit.

simple answer ::::: BOTH
Write it as either/or, and let the ppl who use it decide which they perfer.

Like with Skraypers, it was written for an SDC setting in mind for HU2, but not to push anyone away, they added MDC notes for using it in Phase World too...

I myself like the Either/or approach to just saying Its this all the time...
Take Splicers as another example...IF they had written in SDC notes, the book would have been even better IMHO...

Good Luck...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

As I've said elsewhere I have no love for MDC, so anything that is strict SDC works for me.
Since you're not writing exclusively for my pleasure, (although you should be), then I'd say either take the "either/or" approach, or in the alternative, SDC, with guideline for possible MDC conversion (assuming that you don't like the existing guidelines).
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Unless you can think of a reason for making them MDC make them SDC.
Being on a magic rich world isn't one.
MDC stuff with SDC people is perfectly fine.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Look at Robotech or Rifts - most of the population are S.D.C. being but the technology and magical level is high enough to be M.D.C.

So you could use both.

But an easy way is to convert it to M.DC. to S.D.C. .
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”