Steven Hawkins wrong?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Steven Hawkins wrong?

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

I'm sure we've all seen the typical sci-fi plot of something creates a bomb that will cause all the dimensions/realities to collapse in on themsleves thus destroying everything and only the PCs stand in the way.
Well Steven Hawkins says there are an infinite number of alternate realities reflecting every possible outcome. Well if thats true, wouldn't one series of events lead to the creation of such a device? Even if the charaters stopped it there wouldn't there be another reality where they failed.
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Yeah I had heard about that, but wasn't saying that there weren't whiteholes where it'd all be spit out not about alternate realities?
Unless he changes them, alternate realities is still one of his two theories of time travel.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

You're pretty much describing a paradox. Perhaps only that one reality is destroyed. If you think too hard about it your brain will seize up and you'll flop over. Questions like that are better left to the Q to ponder.

Carl
ImageImage
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Carl Gleba wrote:You're pretty much describing a paradox. Perhaps only that one reality is destroyed. If you think too hard about it your brain will seize up and you'll flop over. Questions like that are better left to the Q to ponder.

Carl

What he said :ok:
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Carl Gleba wrote:You're pretty much describing a paradox. Perhaps only that one reality is destroyed. If you think too hard about it your brain will seize up and you'll flop over. Questions like that are better left to the Q to ponder.

Carl

Funny you should phrase it like that, one of the more common causes of a brain seizing IS thinking too hard/fast.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Zerebus wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:

Carl

Funny you should phrase it like that, one of the more common causes of a brain seizing IS thinking too hard/fast.

Hell, I've had brain burn in some of my advanced mathematics courses...

Take two tylenol and then get back to work.

Chances are, such a device can only grab so many realities based on "locality", or "similarity", such that the eventuality of such a device existing become nonexistant because all possible paths of reality leadings towards the construction of such a device are severed.

Good answer :ok:

Carl
ImageImage
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Re: Steven Hawkins wrong?

Unread post by cornholioprime »

kamikazzijoe wrote:I'm sure we've all seen the typical sci-fi plot of something creates a bomb that will cause all the dimensions/realities to collapse in on themsleves thus destroying everything and only the PCs stand in the way.
Well Steven Hawkins says there are an infinite number of alternate realities reflecting every possible outcome. Well if thats true, wouldn't one series of events lead to the creation of such a device? Even if the charaters stopped it there wouldn't there be another reality where they failed.
Just because there are (POTENTIALLY, mind you) an Infinite Number of Quantum Universes doesn't mean that your ''Reality Bomb'' was EVER developed in ANY of them.

For one thing, Hawking said that different Quantum Realities are (theoretically) created EVERY time ANY Particle in the Universe goes this way instead of that way. The ONLY difference that may may exist differently in ALL of these Universes is the switched Spacetime Coordinates of a "few" Quarks, and EVERYTHING else could be EXACTLY the same.

For another thing, Hawking believes that, mathematically speaking, our Universe existing as it does (coherent Time and Matter that will last over 100 TRILLION years instead of Subatomic Soup or a Universe that never would have emerged from the Big Bang) is a potentially incredibly rare Event...........
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

If there are infinte number of universes, if such a bomb were possible would be created, even if its potential is 100 trillion years down our timeline. So that would mean that either the device isn't possible or there are not infinite universes.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

I thought it was Jim Hawkins.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

kamikazzijoe wrote:If there are infinte number of universes, if such a bomb were possible would be created, even if its potential is 100 trillion years down our timeline. So that would mean that either the device isn't possible or there are not infinite universes.
No, one does NOT necessarily follow the other. It MAY be possible, someway, somehow, somewhere, somewhen, but that doesn't mean the Device itself will be built, or even thought of, in those Quantum Universes. Even within the multitudes and multitudes that make this Infinite number, the changes that make up those Universes could ALL be as simple as 1 Particle going this way instead of that, or one where a certain teenager named Hitler walked past whatever passed for a recruitment office before World War I....

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!

Unread post by Guest »

The Infinite Universe Hypothesis is just an attempt to reason God out of existence.

By the I.U.H. the Universe could be a random event, or it could just be here because it's here because it's here because it's here.

It is overly complicated though, and even Hawking has now recanted that the biggest reason for the I.U.H. in the first place (black holes not letting go of information) was probably wrong.

I'm not a big fan of I.U.H. theories, while I've never met an idea that caused brain burn (just long periods of deep meditative thought followed by abrupt outburts of laughter) I find the concept of an Infinity, of any type to be silly...

As physicists say, if Infinity is the Answer, you're asking the wrong Question.
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Edge wrote:I'm not a big fan of I.U.H. theories, while I've never met an idea that caused brain burn (just long periods of deep meditative thought followed by abrupt outburts of laughter) I find the concept of an Infinity, of any type to be silly...

As physicists say, if Infinity is the Answer, you're asking the wrong Question.

Seizing from thinking to fast is a physiological trait, either brain is wired to operate that way or it doesnt. Kinda like wiring a computer to be overclocked.

I thought the answer to any question asked by a physicist was, "Its relative."
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

eric.cline wrote:Well theres always the anthropomorphic principle. We exist and therefore such a device or event was not, will not, and/or cannot occur.
Kinda roundabout way to use the principle of Occum's razor, but your point is agreed upon.....

Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Zerebus wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:

Carl

Chances are, such a device can only grab so many realities based on "locality", or "similarity", such that the eventuality of such a device existing become nonexistant because all possible paths of reality leadings towards the construction of such a device are severed.

Oh man, my brain was trying to process that and I messed myself.

Again. :(
:fool:

Unread post by Guest »

Jesterzzn wrote:
Zerebus wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:

Carl

Oh man, my brain was trying to process that and I messed myself.

Again. :(

Still say it's easier to just deny all other realities necessity and choose a god.
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

[/quote]

Well, if you can't make up your mind as to whether or not you exist....

Well.... John Gardner's Grendel is a decent paradigm of how to handle that.[/i][/quote]

The philosophy course at RPI started the first 2 hour session discussing whether or not a book on a table existed. You'd think with tht many scientist and engineers in a room they could prove to the prof a text book existed. Hasn't happened yet.

Unread post by Guest »

kamikazzijoe wrote:The philosophy course at RPI started the first 2 hour session discussing whether or not a book on a table existed. You'd think with tht many scientist and engineers in a room they could prove to the prof a text book existed. Hasn't happened yet.

I'm Blind, This text is being read to me, I've never seen something in my life.

Prove the color Blue exists.

Unread post by Guest »

Zerebus wrote:That's probably because you aren't allowed to pick the book up and hit people over the head with it.

yeah, proving a book is alot easier than proving the color blue.

you can't hit me with blue.
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Edge wrote:
Zerebus wrote:That's probably because you aren't allowed to pick the book up and hit people over the head with it.

yeah, proving a book is alot easier than proving the color blue.

you can't hit me with blue.

Its just the color your head turns after it gets hit by the book.

Unread post by Guest »

Still doesn't help.

If I'm blind and never seen blue, there is no way you can prove to me that blue exists.
Inazuma

Unread post by Inazuma »

Here's a challenge: prove anything exists. In order to do that, you'd have to prove that the object really IS there, rather than simply being a mass hallucination.

It's kind of like the theory that says "If everyone truly believes the sky is purple, then it's purple. It no longer matters if it is or not, it only matters what people believe. We believe we exist, therefore, theoretically, we exist."

(At least, I think that's how it goes... :P )
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Inazuma wrote:Here's a challenge: prove anything exists. In order to do that, you'd have to prove that the object really IS there, rather than simply being a mass hallucination.

It's kind of like the theory that says "If everyone truly believes the sky is purple, then it's purple. It no longer matters if it is or not, it only matters what people believe. We believe we exist, therefore, theoretically, we exist."

(At least, I think that's how it goes... :P )

"if you tell a lie often enough it becomes believed. If it becomes believed enough it becomes the truth"--Hitler
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Edge wrote:Still doesn't help.

If I'm blind and never seen blue, there is no way you can prove to me that blue exists.

Heck... they can't prove it to you if you're so much as color blind... any color term just refers to the visible aspects of that wavelength... so if you don't know color, to you it's just a weird name
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard

Unread post by Guest »

oddly enough, you could describe to me energy, and light, and explain that blue is merely a description of the visible wavelengths of electromagnetic energy.

even a blind man can feel the sun on his skin.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Edge wrote:even a blind man can feel the sun on his skin...

...unless said blind man was also numb.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”