Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Who want to see Wormwood back in Print?

Unread post by gaby »

Who want to see WormWood back in Print?

I hope they will make WormWood2.

What do you want to see in it if they do?
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

It needs to be revised and cleaned up.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Zerebus wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:It needs to be revised and cleaned up.

Hard to clean it up when there are mosquitos crawling over everything on seemingly every other page. :p

Have you tried offering them oil for food?

I hear OFF works wonders. :-D
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln

Unread post by Guest »

I never held a copy of wormwood for more than a couple minutes..

but I know Rifts: Japan mentions the Ghostly Katana as being made from wormwood tech...so it's all right by me!
The Artist Formerly
Champion

I'd just like them to clean up the book and fix all of those weird aspects that limit it's usefulness to the megaverse at large.

Unread post by Guest »

The Artist Formerly wrote:I'd just like them to clean up the book and fix all of those weird aspects that limit it's usefulness to the megaverse at large.

like the automatically m.d.c. humans?
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Edge wrote:like the automatically m.d.c. humans?

No that's OK.
The strength and symbiots and such not being able to leave is though.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***

Unread post by Guest »

Dr. Doom III wrote:
Edge wrote:like the automatically m.d.c. humans?

No that's OK.
The strength and symbiots and such not being able to leave is though.

so wait...they are m.d.c. when they leave...

but they lose their symbiotes and SN p.s.?
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Edge wrote:so wait...they are m.d.c. when they leave...

but they lose their symbiotes and SN p.s.?

Symbiots, crystals, stones and parasites are powerless off Wormwood and die within 6 hours.

Wormwood humans don't have supernatural PS.

*Note*
See Wormwood thread on Rifts board.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell

Unread post by Guest »

eh..

I'll take your word for it..despite your wacked views about simultaneity, you are generally right..
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Re: Who want to see Wormwood back in Print?

Unread post by Svartalf »

gaby wrote:Who want to see WormWood back in Print?

I hope they will make WormWood2.

What do you want to see in it if they do?

They need to make some corrections to it, but it's minor work...

Also, since they still do occasional Wormwood stuff in the Rifter, I don't think there's any particular IP problem
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Swift-13 »

I'd kill to see more information on Wormwood, especially to see how the war is progressing. The way the book presented it, the humans are thoroughly boned, even if it might take a while, against the Hosts' demon hordes.

Another good explanation would be why, if everyone else seems to know about it, the Splugorth are still in the dark about Wormwood's existance. I mean, there's a portal to it from Phase World, of all things! Of course, should the Splugorth ever find Wormwood, in no time they should be able to work around that "link to the planet" problem symbiotes have... :lol:
Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Steve Conan Trustrum »

Aside from the obvious corrections, there are certainly enough unanswered questions concerning Wormwood to warrant another book. Just filling in all the gaps on the human cities and society, let alone new symbiotes, communion powers, etc. could fill a book larger than the original without having any wasted space.

Another thing to consider is since it's been so long since the first book came out and there's no longer a need to push the "megaverse" (as was the case when Wormwood first came out), I think the best way to present such a book is to contain it in a vacuum and not try to mesh it in with everything else, like the Splugorth and Phase World.

Leave the setting on its own and let the GMs decide how much they want to connect it to the rest of the megaverse rather than taking the square peg, round hole approach.
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Trustrum.com | Misfits In Action Web Comic
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Steve Conan Trustrum wrote:Aside from the obvious corrections, there are certainly enough unanswered questions concerning Wormwood to warrant another book. Just filling in all the gaps on the human cities and society, let alone new symbiotes, communion powers, etc. could fill a book larger than the original without having any wasted space.

Agreed. The Wormwood Addendum, or some such. Have it include your Blood Shaman, all the new material you came up with (new communion spells, new stones, an actual analysis of how life in the Cathedral works), and the stuff I ran back in the day, like the secret of the Wormwood Engineers.

An expanded, 8-page map would be cool too. That's my little project right now: a full map of Wormwood showing all the groovy stuff thats out there, and some ideas as to how it may tie into the Great Tribulation.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Swift-13 »

All things considered, Wormwood is a RIFTS sourcebook, so it's just begging to be part of the Megaverse. Seeing as how the Humans import weapons and armor from RIFTS Earth, it's a necessity as well.

I wasn't gonna suggest the Splugorth should invade, tho', things are screwy enough over there as it is, instead I wonder why they are still ignorant of its existence.
Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Swift-13 wrote:All things considered, Wormwood is a RIFTS sourcebook, so it's just begging to be part of the Megaverse. Seeing as how the Humans import weapons and armor from RIFTS Earth, it's a necessity as well.

I wasn't gonna suggest the Splugorth should invade, tho', things are screwy enough over there as it is, instead I wonder why they are still ignorant of its existence.
Wormwood works MUCH better without attaching it to the megaverse.

It is my opinion that Wormwood was used as a Rifts sourcebook because Rifts was still new at the time and Palladium was looking to really impress upon the consumer how the dimensions were connected. However, looking at the original content (including the errors that were left in), it would seem that the connection was meant to be minimal (hey, where did all these motorcycles come from?) rather than just being another link in the long chain of dimensions that just HAS to be tied to Earth to complete the flotsam and jetsom approach to setting building.

Let's face it, if Wormwood is attached to the megaverse the issue of the Unholy pretty much becomes a non-issue. Realistically, the Cathedral could have long ago struck a deal with any number of powers in the Rifts setting -- just as others have done -- to get rid of the Unholy. Just offering the Naruni a chance set up a research station to study the planet would likely have bee enough to get them to send in enough gear to wipe out the Unholy.

So, how does one get around such obvious problems when dealing with the megaverse? Either put Wormwood in its own little bubble or RADICALLY scale back on the connections between Wormwood and other dimensions. Make such links so tenuous that they are a thing of mystery and awe, not a commonplace event where people look upon the rifts as just another shopping trip.
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Zerebus wrote:Yeah, come to think of it, you'd think that at least the Splugorth in Center would know about Wormwood from checking out all the various gates.

Then again, it's possible that the Prometheans have a series of gates under lock and key, but then what's the point of connecting Wormwood to Phase World?

Perhaps they just keep the Splugorth out.
-George Orwell
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Swift-13 wrote:I'd kill to see more information on Wormwood, especially to see how the war is progressing. The way the book presented it, the humans are thoroughly boned, even if it might take a while, against the Hosts' demon hordes.

Another good explanation would be why, if everyone else seems to know about it, the Splugorth are still in the dark about Wormwood's existance. I mean, there's a portal to it from Phase World, of all things! Of course, should the Splugorth ever find Wormwood, in no time they should be able to work around that "link to the planet" problem symbiotes have... :lol:

I think this is a reason why Erin Tarn is evil.
She diseminates way too much information. "Look, Carl, I just made a book telling you the location of New Lazlo and Psyscape, not to mention..." or "Look, Splynncryth, just hire a Shifter in Mexico with a few bottles of Carona, and he'll send you to this planet you can take over and have all kinds of neat slaves, symbiotes, parasites, and the local over-lord would probably be easy for you to crush. And, it's a LIVING PLANET. Also, the inhabitants are naturally as tough as armour simply by being born there, so you no longer have to use bio-wizardry to make super-tough minions. Just sent them to Wormwood for a couple of generations. Of course, after you get rid of the Unholy, why, the planet will start to heal, so you can have a never-ending supply..."
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Braden Campbell

Steve Conan Trustrum wrote: Either put Wormwood in its own little bubble or RADICALLY scale back on the connections between Wormwood and other dimensions. Make such links so tenuous that they are a thing of mystery and awe, not a commonplace event where people look upon the rifts as just another shopping trip.

:-x "Damn! I'm outta smokes. Hey, honey, I'm just gonna bop over Phase World and grab a pack of Naruni Lights."

:-o "Don't forget to take off your symbiotes before you leave. You don't want them falling off and turning to dust."
Braden, GMPhD

Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Astroman wrote:Also, I think it wouldn't be too unbalancing to allow the crystals and stones to be traded. How else are they supposed to afford all the stuff they supposedly have?

I think that whole "it falls apart" aspect is very dated. More likely than not, it was thought up in a not very well thought out bought of "okay, we want to use this, our first dimension book, to show how the megaverse is all tied together, but we want to keep it's identity distinct" -- that or they were considered over balancing for the time. Either way, the game has certainly moved past the point where either issue is valid and can easily be ignored without it affecting one's campaign much.
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

wormwood 2 :ok:

i would prefer if it interacted much better with Rifts rpg.

Rifts needs other dimensions that PC's can interact well with.

wormwood was too weak. PW was too powerful

PC characters/NPC's should be able to move from/to Rifts Earth, without causing too much upheaval.

wormwood is one of the best books by PB (IMO), just does not serve purpose as a dimension book for Rifts rpg
Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

DBX wrote:wormwood 2 :ok:

i would prefer if it interacted much better with Rifts rpg.

I'd go the opposite direction and do a re-release with new material. Since the book no longer needs to serve as a selling point on the megaverse concept, I'd retool it to work how it was obviously intended by Truman and Henry: no MDC, no Rifts.

Put it out as a stand alone game where the threat of the Unholy is real and there isn't the option of "oh well, we're screwed. Guess we'll all just have to rift away to Earth or somewhere else as refugees."
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Braden Campbell

Was there ever anymore of Wormwood comic-wise? Or was it just the original "pilot episode" that appears in the book?

Also, has anyone ever heard form Truman or Henry waht their plans for the comic might have been?
Braden, GMPhD

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Swift-13 wrote:I'd kill to see more information on Wormwood, especially to see how the war is progressing. The way the book presented it, the humans are thoroughly boned, even if it might take a while, against the Hosts' demon hordes.

Knowledge deliberately kept secret by the Prometheans Pgs. 15-16.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Greg

Unread post by Greg »

Steve Conan Trustrum wrote:Put it out as a stand alone game where the threat of the Unholy is real and there isn't the option of "oh well, we're screwed. Guess we'll all just have to rift away to Earth or somewhere else as refugees."

I agree with this sentiment however just going over to the Splicers board, for a game that specifically states it's stand-alone, half the people (made up percentage) want to merge it into Rifts. Wormwood seems like it's supposed to have a Ralph Backshi-esque/Heavy Metal over the top comic book feel vs. the grittier Rifts setting.
Braden Campbell

Greg wrote:Wormwood seems like it's supposed to have a Ralph Backshi-esque/Heavy Metal over the top comic book feel vs. the grittier Rifts setting.

You think Rifts is gritty...? :lol:

Good one.
Braden, GMPhD

Braden Campbell

Braden, GMPhD wrote:Agreed. The Wormwood Addendum, or some such.

No, no. Brave New Wormwood.
Braden, GMPhD

Greg

Unread post by Greg »

Not gritty in a survivability standpoint since everyone has 300MDC. It just doesn't seem to have the same irreverant humor.
Braden Campbell

Astroman wrote:Also, I think it wouldn't be too unbalancing to allow the crystals and stones to be traded. How else are they supposed to afford all the stuff they supposedly have?

And far be it from me to practice thread necromancy...but I had a thought on this the other day.

The people of Wormwood have no money.

I was trying to figure out how Worldgate Mercenaries would work in the war against the Unholy, when it came to me that, on Wormwood, you cannot fight for money. No one has any. Therefore, in the same vein, when Wormwoodians travel to Phase World or Earth or even Palladium, they have no money with which to buy stuff. And since their symbiotes and stones turn to dust in 6 hours and stop working, they can't be traded either.

So when you think about it, this fact alone makes dimentional travel rare in the setting, becasue you can't just buy a bunch of HI-80's with energy backpacks and clean out Charun. Anyone who leaves Wormwood will be raiders and theives...but who back home can aford to buy the things they bring back?

Not having money cuts them off from the megaverse by default. And if they hardly leave their homeworld, then the number of others out in the megaverse who would know about them would also be very small.

It kind of makes me laugh, becasue I'm sure the setting designers in no way thought of this...
Braden, GMPhD

Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Astroman wrote:It's true, they never tell you what they trade for the motorcycles and other stuff they all seem to have.

Lapdances. That's why humanity will win in the end -- the Unholy just can't shake his money maker.
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Jmur
Wanderer

Unread post by Jmur »

I really think they should make another book on wormwood. It is one of my favorite books. I wonder if the vampire kindom would ever go to wormwood. I think it would be ideal for them. As it doesn't have much rain.
Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Jmur wrote:I really think they should make another book on wormwood. It is one of my favorite books. I wonder if the vampire kindom would ever go to wormwood. I think it would be ideal for them. As it doesn't have much rain.
Most humans also exist in heavily defended communities and are well educated, equipped and experienced for fighting the supernatural.
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Jmur
Wanderer

Unread post by Jmur »

Steve Conan Trustrum wrote:
Jmur wrote:I really think they should make another book on wormwood. It is one of my favorite books. I wonder if the vampire kindom would ever go to wormwood. I think it would be ideal for them. As it doesn't have much rain.
Most humans also exist in heavily defended communities and are well educated, equipped and experienced for fighting the supernatural.

pg 48 says that many humans have given into dispair and no longer fight.
They maybe all of those things but if the average citizen does not fight then it will be an easy kill. I'm sure there are towns under the hosts control that could be easy pickings for the vampires.
Braden Campbell

the first major hurdle is that Wormwood is in its "cosmic blind spot"...not many extra-dimensional powers can even see it, and that includes vampire intelligences.

Secondly, there is the whole, soil of the homeland issue. Even if a Master Vampire was created3ed on Wormwood, there is no soil for them to sleep in. Some GMs might be inclined to say that they could just sleep inside Wormwood itself, but I would not be one of them. ;)

Not to say that you can't have the odd vampire in your games...but the Unholy hates competition, and between the Cathedral and Worldgate (not to mention Ezud, Reorith Province, and the Far Sovereinties) there are enough magic weapons around to make any vampire nervous. You could put some in for a change of pace, but I hestitate to turn Wormwood into The Masquerade.
Braden, GMPhD

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”