Building a Spaceship

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Building a Spaceship

Unread post by Malakai »

I have gone through many books, namely AU:GG, PW, PWSB, 3Gs, and Anvil G, and I have yet to find a descent table/section on designing ships in the Phaseworld Setting. AU:GG has a great section, but it is extremely difficult to transfer over to PW. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Intrested in both book references and personal rules / stuff.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Building a Spaceship

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Malakai wrote:I have gone through many books, namely AU:GG, PW, PWSB, 3Gs, and Anvil G, and I have yet to find a descent table/section on designing ships in the Phaseworld Setting. AU:GG has a great section, but it is extremely difficult to transfer over to PW. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Intrested in both book references and personal rules / stuff.

You might also want to check Mutants in Orbit.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Malakai »

I have, and not much help their either

Unread post by Guest »

Just use one of the ships in the Phase World book as a template. Add however much armour weapons as you might need.

Fro my Pahse World campaign that never was, I built a Defiant from a Scimitar, and just gave it four big pulse lasers.
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

When I was designing spaceships (and the stuff I am doing now) I just find a pic that I like, either from other RPGs or online art-sites, and figure what would the stats be for Palladium.

That way most of the work is done for ya and you have a cool pic (a must for me) to help with possible floorplans and the such
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

the space ship design section in Phase world was lifted cut and paste from Manhunter rPg.

it's slightly similar to the stats in Phase world, but ...
come to think of it I'll copy the article for you privately if you want.
DhAkael
Knight

Galaxy Guide for Aliens Unlimmited GOOD

Unread post by DhAkael »

Au:GG has so far been the best source material I've found for ship-design (numbers wise).
Only a couple of things I tend to change;
1- Factor speed is rated as Factor devided by 100 equals LY/Hr. . Thus a factor of 20 is rated at 0.2LY/hr. . Most of the drive types are slower than your average Tri-Galactic CG drive or Phase engine, but they are a good way to have different tech show up in the campaign.

2- Tons to Tonnage; this one is tricky :frust: . You first should have an idea of the dimensions of your ship and then use the AU:GG system accordingly to determine hull type and SDC (then converted to MDC using their arbitaray guidelines), then figure out from an existing Phaseworld ship that's roughly the same size, what the weight should be. From what I can see, 'ton' is used in the AU Galaxy Guide as 'tons displacement' and not an actual messure of mass..
Bloody frustrating, I know, but as with ANY game I've come across, the GM has to do 90% of any really cool work for their campiagn (or players have a realy cool GM that will let them create their own stuff) ;)

Wish you the best of luck...
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I mixed & matched from Phase World and Manhunters for an ok one to cruise around in. Mainly used to move goods around.

Recently I have been thinking about Naruni combining their Combat Drones from Rifts: Mercs with large starships. Have the main ship 1 or 2 miles long with four computerized ships that can seperate from the main one to provide additional firepower & support. Man them with Repo-bots to repell invaders, and Naruni's equivalent to Dyna-bots to repair while in combat.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

MaddogMatarese wrote:I mixed & matched from Phase World and Manhunters for an ok one to cruise around in. Mainly used to move goods around.

Recently I have been thinking about Naruni combining their Combat Drones from Rifts: Mercs with large starships. Have the main ship 1 or 2 miles long with four computerized ships that can seperate from the main one to provide additional firepower & support. Man them with Repo-bots to repell invaders, and Naruni's equivalent to Dyna-bots to repair while in combat.

One word:
"YIKES"

Leaves of the lotus rise

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Maddog, I've also been thinking along the lines of naruni Drone Starships . . . though not witha 1 to 2 mile long mother ship
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
SirTenzan
Rifter® Contributer

Heya DhAk

Unread post by SirTenzan »

DhAkael wrote:"Baby got an atom-bomb.
A mutha-******* atom-bomb.
22megatons, you ain't never seen so much fun!
Baby's got a poison gas.
Baby's got a heart-attacks.
Baby's got a pain on tap.
Baby, gimme some of that!"
-FLUKE 'Atom-Bomb'

Heya DhAk,

Didn't you dedicate this song to Mina once, ages upon ages ago? I know somebody did, back in the day. I was just curious if it was you. What ever happened to her anyway? I miss that woman!

Take care, old friend.
aka

SirTenzan
----------
Citizen of Minnesota, Land of Sky Blue Waters
United States of America
------------------------
DhAkael
Knight

Re: Heya DhAk

Unread post by DhAkael »

SirTenzan wrote:
DhAkael wrote:"Baby got an atom-bomb.
A mutha-******* atom-bomb.
22megatons, you ain't never seen so much fun!
Baby's got a poison gas.
Baby's got a heart-attacks.
Baby's got a pain on tap.
Baby, gimme some of that!"
-FLUKE 'Atom-Bomb'

Heya DhAk,

Didn't you dedicate this song to Mina once, ages upon ages ago? I know somebody did, back in the day. I was just curious if it was you. What ever happened to her anyway? I miss that woman!

Take care, old friend.

*Nod & smile*
Guilty as charged :D
No idea what's happend to Mina-Miss..as with Sheri, she done gone vanished into the virtual sunset.

Leaves of the lotus rise

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Jefffar wrote:Maddog, I've also been thinking along the lines of naruni Drone Starships . . . though not witha 1 to 2 mile long mother ship

The mothership would be like a modern aircraft carrier. Lots of mecha, boarding parties, repair facilites, and so on, but no really big cannons. Have a few Wrath of God destroyers to help protect it.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

MaddogMatarese wrote:
Jefffar wrote:Maddog, I've also been thinking along the lines of naruni Drone Starships . . . though not witha 1 to 2 mile long mother ship

The mothership would be like a modern aircraft carrier. Lots of mecha, boarding parties, repair facilites, and so on, but no really big cannons. Have a few Wrath of God destroyers to help protect it.

I topped out at a heavy cruiser / pocket carrier / pocket battleship sized vessel.

At least for the mass market . . .

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Kewl.

I've been pondering a Rifter submission or a website . . .

Nightshade37
Explorer

Unread post by Nightshade37 »

Dhak...Last I spoke with her, Miss Mina was still going to school. It's been a few months though.

Hope you all are doing well...

Night§hade
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Nightshade37 wrote:Dhak...Last I spoke with her, Miss Mina was still going to school. It's been a few months though.

Hope you all are doing well...

Night§hade

Life is..um... going :P
You haven't missed much here in the PCR's as most of the old guard have disappeared for one reason or another.
Pity; this used to be THE happening place among us intelligent and social gamers.

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Here's one for those "Hero" campaigns.

Unread post by DhAkael »

A little sumpin' I threw together based loosely on the original Sol-Bianca. Some of the systems used are NOT cannon, but that's okay, because the SB couldn't be built using ANY of the ship building systems out there in RPG land (I know...I've checked). Imagination and improvisation is a wonderful thing :D

Xai Dimensional Cruiser "Aegis of Elsydeon"
Model Type: XSR-01 'Star-Rider'Phase Cruiser
Class: Scout Cruiser / Heavy attack ship
Crew: 5; Pilot, navigator, com-officer, fire-control, engineer. May carry up to 24 extra passengers / crew.

M.D.C. By Location:
*Plasma-Laser Emitters (18; 14 keel, 4 bow) - 350 each
*LRM Launchers (6; Ventral Bow) - 500 each
*Pop-Up Sliver-Gun Turrets (4) - 200 each
Primary Engines (4)- 3500 each
Wing Manoeuvre Pods (2) - 2000 each
Keel / Main Weapons Cluster- 1250
Ventral Loading Ramp / Airlock - 800
Shuttle-bay Doors - 800
Main Body- 10,000 | Forward 1/2 (sensors, etc...) - 5000
Bridge-1800
Variable Shields (6 facings)- 1000 per side
Note: "*" denotes a location that is generally hard to hit; -6 to strike and requires a called shot.

Speed:
Flying: Inatmo; Mach 1.5. Exatmo; Mach 22+ on impulse drive, Mach10.75 by gravitic drive alone.
Sublight; 0.5c straight line travel
Note; reduce speed by 20% per inoperative engine,
FTL: Equal to Type-C phase drive; 3.5 LY/ hr.
Special System;Trans-Dimensional Drive Generator
The Aegis has a trans-dimensional gateway device incorperated into its FTL drive, linked through the "phase- ghost" system. This allows the Aegis to rift into other dimensions. A pilot / navigator must cyber link with the computer (psi or mind-impulse link helmet) and then roll their dimension lore skill or astrophysics (@ -15%) to travel to a new dimension. Then after 1D10 minutes (if successful) , the ship wil ‘dive’ into another dimension / reality. A failed skill-roll wil result in a dimensional syphon (Pg. 160-161 AU:GG), sending the ship & crew randomly through space- time.
Up to 5 dimensions can be saved into memory without recalibrating, and Athane can use its / her own navigation systems to travel back & forth between those dimensions. Due to the enormous power drain, the TDG shuts down for 12 hrs. after each jump, and all weapons, shields, active sensors and engines will be off-line for 20 minutes.
Range: The life-support system allows the crew to function for up to 1 year. The particle impulse engines have a nearly unlimited range (hooked directly into the reactors).

Statistical Data:
Height: 75.4m Width: 51.75m (hull), 87m (wing-span).
Length: 121.5m. Weight: 4,040 metric tonnes fully loaded.
Cargo: 10x5x5m bay, with 400 tonne capacity.
Drive Type(s): Primary; Particle Impulse.
Secondary; Gravitic Impeller.
Power System: Quantum Zero-Point energy cell (indefinite)
Market Cost: 2 billion estimated (?).

Weapon Systems
1) Gravitic Ram; The entire forward edge of the Aegis’ bow contains a powerful gravity-wave projector system. Normaly this is used as a navigational deflector in other Star-rider clas vessels, but was modified for offensive use in the Aegis of Elsydeon. Though short ranged, the gravitic ram is useful for boarding actions, as its blade shaped gravity pulse can tear a sizble hole into the side of a capitol ship or large transport vessel.
Primary Purpose: Anti-Ship
Range: 3.2km in space (not useable Inatmo)
Mega-Damage: 6D6X10 per blast.
R.O.F.: Once per melee.
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Heavy scale= -6 Vs. small targets.

2) Plasma Laser Emitters (18); The emitters project a stream of plasma shaped in a magnetic field propelled by a laser, usually taking the form of 'whips'. Multiple streams may also be focussed into a steady stream for use against capitol ships. Not only powerful, these weapons are also highly accurate & precise.
Primary Purpose: Anti-Ship & Anti-Fighter
Range: 46.4km in space (50% range Inatmo!)
Mega-Damage: 1D6X100 per blast.
R.O.F.: Each PLE can fire 3 times per round, and up to 6 may be fired at one target at a time.
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Heavy scale= -2 Vs. small targets (advanced targeting).

3) Forward LRM / Torpedo Launchers (6): Located in the bow are 6 single-tube LRM & torpedo launchers, facing forward. Typically these launchers are loaded with plasma or gravitic warheads.
Range: as per warhead type.
Mega-Damage: As per LRM / Torpedo type.
R.O.F.: Individually or in volleys of 2 per launcher (total volley of 12 warheads). Each volley counts as 1 gunner action. Once 10 warheads have been launched, it takes 3 actions (1/2 a melee) for the auto-loading system to reload another 10 from the magazine.
Payload: 10 per launch system plus an additional magazine of 20 per launcher, for a total 180

4) Sliver-Gun Turrets (4); Located forward of the ventral airlock,mid way on the dorsal port & starboard bow and between the upper pair of engines at the rear. These point- defense mass-drivers can cycle through 4000 rounds per minute of tungsten flechettes, each sliver able to rip through a metre or more of heavy armour.
Primary Purpose: Anti-Ship & Anti-Fighter
Range: 4.8km in space, 1,828m Inatmo
Mega-Damage: 8D12 (or 2D4X10+16) per 40 round burst. In addition, all damage is armour piercing (critical on a roll of mod. 20).
R.O.F.: 1 burst per gunner action, or 3 automated.
Payload: 200,000 rounds per gun (500 bursts).
Point defense scale= no penalty Vs. small targets.
Note: Rotating turrets give a +1 to strike (plus any WP, weapon system lock-ons and sensor bonuses). If set for auto-fire, the guns are +4 to strike (+6 if lock on has been achieved).

5) Phase Resonance Cannon (1): After the deployment of several ancillary structures, and approximately 10 seconds for charging, Star Rider cruisers can discharge a 'phase resonance' bolt. The bolt causes massive quantum fluctuations as space-time its self is torn apart by a 'zero- point' event.
Primary Purpose: Anti-Capitol Ship
Range: 800km (not effected by atmosphere)
Mega-Damage: 2D4X1000 per blast at point of impact, plus an additional 1D4X100 to a 50ft. radius when used against capitol ships or large installations. Damage is not reduced by special armours, and will do ½ damage to all other shield facings upon impact against space vessels.
R.O.F.: 1 blast every 2 minutes, and takes 20 seconds to deploy
Payload: effectively unlimited (see above).
Capitol Ship scale= -11 to strike small targets.

6) Quantum Displacement Translocator: Not a weapon per-se, Star-Rider cruisers can use their dimensional drive to make short range "jumps" nearly instantaneously. In fact, the cruisers can even "resurface" inside of a larger capitol ship / space station regardless of shielding.
Range: 3.2km (can not be used in a gravity-well).
Payload: 20 jumps, and then takes 1 hour to re-charge. Each jump takes one action (pilot or co-pilot).
Note= +2 to dodge& initiative when actively jumping.

Other Systems
Defensive Systems:
Crystallis Armour: The outer hull & armour plating is a duraloy / crystallis composite. First, all energy weapons will do only 50% damage. Secondly; one minute (4 melees), after combat has ended, all damage to the armour will begin to regenerate spontaneously, using the energy diffracted to heal its crystalline lattice. This applies to coherent energy weapons only (Lasers, particle beams, etc), kinetic weapons will do full damage.
Dimensional Phase-Dive: The Aegis can "dive" out of normal space-time, becoming insubstatial and invisible to most 3-dimensional beings / objects (Prometheans & phase adepts can detect the ship). While in "ghost" mode, the Aegis travels at 25% speed, and is unable to interact with (I.E.; fire weapons at) unphased objects, but can move through solid objects and is not subject to gravity fields. It can even materialize inside of starships & stations large enough to contain it. The PD "ghost" system can be active for 20 minutes, but uses 1 charge from the Quantum Translocator per minute in use.

Sensors
Advanced & Military Sensors; Can track and identify up to 500 targets with a 2000 mile range (3200km), and track an additional 25 objects out to 4000 miles (6400km); 2 range Inatmo. Objects as small as a golf ball can be seen at a distance of 300 miles Inatmo, or 26,000 miles in space (41,600km). Communications range is 200,000 miles (32,000km) in space. See later for combat bonuses.
Satellite Up-link Computer; Used for sending and receiving information from civilian and military satellites.
Super-navigation Computer & Auto-pilot; 50% skill for FTL and Sublight navigation, and 50% Skill for piloting.
Artificial Intelligence: Athane: I.Q 20, Alignment scrupulous
Personae; female, Disposition; cool but frieidnly.
Skill Notes: Astrophysics= 51%, Tri-Gal Lore= 46%, Dimensional Navigation= 40%, Intelligence= 46%.

Miscellaneous
Artificial Gravity; Provides standard 1g environment within the ship.
Crew Quarters; Each crew member (28) has their own private room with; bed, closet, computer unit and Bathroom.
Recreation; A large garden or 'park' is the main recreation area of a Star-Rider cruiser, which includes a dome-styled holographic viewer. Plus there are 2 lounge areas resembling bars and / or cafeterias also located in separate sections of the ship.
Medical Facilities; Up to 5 crew members at a time may be cared for by the auto-doc system and regen- tanks. Cryo- Sleep tubes for 20 are also equipped.

Type 3 Recycling system (Atmosphere & Biological);
Can continuously provide recycled, breathable air for an indefinite period for the crew plus passengers. Food and drinking water may also be recycled via hydroponics and enzyme & nano-bot re-combiners for up to 1 year before needing replenishment.
Trans-Atmospheric Capabilities; Design elements and the contra-grav system allow Star-Riders to enter and leave planetary atmospheres.
Hull Breach Auto-Repair; Triple redundancy system, prevents catastrophic loss of atmosphere from hull breaches.
Repair Systems; Star-Riders have a built-in spacecraft repair kit that allows the crew and technical staff to effect any repairs in the field as long as there are spare parts and / or materials available. Up to 150% of the Star-Rider's' total MDC is carried in spare materials. See "Au; Galaxy Guide" Pg. 169 for details.
Remote Nanotech Repair Array: This system uses nano- fluidic technology to repair internal damage to the ship. A mechanics or electronics skill roll is needed (depending on internal damage type), from either a skilled crew member, or dedicated engineering A.I. unit. Only 1 damaged system may be repaired at a time, and a repair roll failure (2 failed rolls out of 3) means the damaged system can not be repaired and must be replaced. Time for system repairs are reduced by 50% using the RNR array.
Nanotech Constructor Array: A combination of the recycling system and the R.N.R. array, the nanotech constructor can create useful items out of scrap materials. Though not able to construct a full suit of power armour, it can “grow” a replacement piece of armour, servo or circuit board. First, a pristine part must be scanned, then the technician must make an appropriate skill check to construct a new part. It takes approximately 30% more raw material to copy an original part and only objects under 1.2mX1.2mX1.2m may be created. Every 10 cubic centimetres takes 1D4 hours to grow (may take up to twice as long for complex items).
FTL Life-boats (2); See "AU; Galaxy Guide" Pg. 181 for details.
Self Destruct; To prevent capture of sensitive intelligence, prevention of ship theft, or as a last ditch retributive attack.

Other Vehicles
Up to 12 Power-Armour suits or 4 vehicles (light APC's, Hover Jeeps, etc) may be carried in the lower cargo / air- lock section. 1 vehicle = 3 Pwr. suits.
The Rear ventral section (under the engines) has a dedicated shuttle-bay which can accommodate 1 shuttle of 100 tonnes, or up to 100 tonnes of fighters.

Bonuses
+3 Initiative, +5 to dodge Exatmo & Inatmo, +2 to strike with all weapons and +25% to combat piloting rolls and +10% to weapon systems lock-ons.

P.S.; please excuse the type setting...stupid phpBB :P

Leaves of the lotus rise

Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

Sorry don't have time to read it all but so far only thing I can say is add more crew. Seems to small for just 5 and I figure with a varible force fields you need someone controlling them and only them. Extra engineer and gunner are always good.

Oh and don't forget to have spare crew to man the ship when the first watch is in bed
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Esckey wrote:Sorry don't have time to read it all but so far only thing I can say is add more crew. Seems to small for just 5 and I figure with a varible force fields you need someone controlling them and only them. Extra engineer and gunner are always good.

Oh and don't forget to have spare crew to man the ship when the first watch is in bed

Um..the original Sol-Bianca actulay only had 3 crew on bridge at any one time...and most of the time it was just one person in the hot seat :D
Logicaly, yes more crew...but style wize...It's a winabago from dimension-X!

Leaves of the lotus rise

Nightshade37
Explorer

Unread post by Nightshade37 »

DhAkael wrote:[Um..the original Sol-Bianca actulay only had 3 crew on bridge at any one time...and most of the time it was just one person in the hot seat :D

Dhak, you are the man! I've been trying to remember the name of that Anime for months now. :D
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Nightshade37 wrote:
DhAkael wrote:[Um..the original Sol-Bianca actulay only had 3 crew on bridge at any one time...and most of the time it was just one person in the hot seat :D

Dhak, you are the man! I've been trying to remember the name of that Anime for months now. :D

*Bows*
I do my best...
Glad to see there is at least one intelligent person in here who recognizes one of the classics :D :ok:

Leaves of the lotus rise

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”