cosmo knight inconsistencies

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

On page 102 of Phase World, it says under their bonuses, they do not require air to breathe.
Superluminal Flight is a Major Super Power, and does not really require a drive-type equivalent. Because of this, the usual restrictions do not apply to them.
In an atmosphere, they are restricted to Mach 1, which is Sonic Flight, a Major Power.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

The FTL flight of the CosmoKnight, and all the CK's other powers are gifts from the cosmic forge. Trying to asign them technological equivalents is pretty hopeless.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Jefffar wrote:The FTL flight of the CosmoKnight, and all the CK's other powers are gifts from the cosmic forge. Trying to asign them technological equivalents is pretty hopeless.
Yup.

The Cosmic Forge is the Technological near-equivalent to the Old Ones.

Using Logic would be essentially futile.

Just assume for the sake of Argument/Game Mechanincs that the Forge Manipulates both Physical Matter and SpaceTime to do what it does AND to give the C-Knights their Awesome Powers.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: cosmo knight inconsistencies

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

daishi wrote:I'm wondering how other players / GMs deal with the problems with the wording of some of the cosmo-knight abilities

1. Supposedly cosmo knights can exist in the vacuum of space yet they have no special invulnrabilities to cold (SDC cold, yes but not MDC) or vacuum (I was thinking of ruling the armor acts like a space suit protecting the cosmo knight)

space is only SDC cold.
2. FTL travel. The book doesn't describe what kind of FTL "drive" the cosmo knight uses, if we assume it is like other FTL systems in phase world that means the knight can't engage his ability until he is approx. 20k miles from the planet. The other possibility is a fold drive of some kind

they don't use a drive. they turn into cosmic energy and move. that's all.
2b. No sub-light propulsion system. So the knight gets to a planet, but has to stop 20k miles from the planet, how does he get to the surface? (might rule that player can use sub FTL speeds at this point but the rates given in the PW book are incredibly slow) The knight can't even fight in space because of this, yet it is heavily implied in the PW book that this is not only possible but a common occurrence

they already have their normal flight ability

2c. The knight does not have the ability to slow down or prevent his death when he impacts the ground at high speed

they can start and stop at will. no need to slow down.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

daishi wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
daishi wrote:I'm wondering how other players / GMs deal with the problems with the wording of some of the cosmo-knight abilities

1. Supposedly cosmo knights can exist in the vacuum of space yet they have no special invulnrabilities to cold (SDC cold, yes but not MDC) or vacuum (I was thinking of ruling the armor acts like a space suit protecting the cosmo knight)

space is only SDC cold.

you'll have to explain to me how something can be colder then absolute zero (space isn't absolute zero but it's very close)

pretty simple, no natural cold ever does MD, only magical cold is ever that way. there are virtually no Ice or cold-based MD attacks and they're all magical. and sinse they do SDC in SDC enviroments, they do MD from magic, never cold.

also, space is only cold based on how close the nearest star is. and sinse it's never absolute zero sinse SOME heat from stellar masses is always presnet, it's never MD level cold.

2c. The knight does not have the ability to slow down or prevent his death when he impacts the ground at high speed

they can start and stop at will. no need to slow down.

which is not mentioned in the PW book. What is mentioned is that cosmo knights can still take falling damage, which they wouldn't if they could just instantly stop themselves

anywho, I've already had a talk with my cosmo knight player and we've come to an agreement on how her abilities work while still maintaining some semblance of game balance

just because they can fly at will dosn't mean they can't fall and take damage, something could be stoppign them from flying, like, say, being Knocked out.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

The books also fail to tell you how a Cosmo-Knight regains all that PPE after using it up. Like a mage ? Like a non-mage ? Do ley lines/nexi help ?

I wouldn't think Ley Lines would help as Cosmo Knights aren't magical in any way. I guess they get it back through rest like anyone else.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Malakai »

No, it does not say that outright, but all the powers make it implicit in the function of being a Cosmo-Knight

2. FTL travel. The book doesn't describe what kind of FTL "drive" the cosmo knight uses, if we assume it is like other FTL systems in phase world that means the knight can't engage his ability until he is approx. 20k miles from the planet. The other possibility is a fold drive of some kind

They doe not use a "drive", they become cosmic energy and fly through space, using their galactic awareness for navigation (given the fact that they turn into pure energy, I would say that if they ran into anything, the other object would just register a aberrant energy signature for a brief moment "probably some scanner quirk")

2b. No sub-light propulsion system. So the knight gets to a planet, but has to stop 20k miles from the planet, how does he get to the surface? (might rule that player can use sub FTL speeds at this point but the rates given in the PW book are incredibly slow) The knight can't even fight in space because of this, yet it is heavily implied in the PW book that this is not only possible but a common occurrence

They actually move at Mach 1 per level, so while they are indeed slower than almost all fighters, they can still account for themselves somewhat. As for acceleration, you could do it at Mach 1 per melee, or even Mach 1 per action, as per the Major Super Power, just remember to take into account the distance need to accelerate that much (1 foot per mph, again using HU2) I have found that a CK in my player group loves to ram stuff at full speed, so I figure he can do 4D6 MDC per Mach (Extrapolated from the Arcane Mark II's Death Cloud cannon), but will also take the same amount of damage, as per the laws of physics.

See above

I was also wondering if you could break a Cosmo-Knight's Weapon? What would be the MDC of the item? How would you repair it?
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

gadrin wrote:
Malakai wrote:I was also wondering if you could break a Cosmo-Knight's Weapon? What would be the MDC of the item? How would you repair it?

their cosmic armor adds 500 MDC, so that'd be where I start.

It's indestructable.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

gadrin wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:
gadrin wrote:
Malakai wrote:I was also wondering if you could break a Cosmo-Knight's Weapon? What would be the MDC of the item? How would you repair it?

their cosmic armor adds 500 MDC, so that'd be where I start.

It's indestructable.

The only trouble is that it says the weapon is a "living part of the cosmo-knight" , etc, etc, so I'm not sure it'd be around when he's gone.

it wouldn't be.

Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Malakai »

I just re-read that, oops.

Also, is there any limit as to how many weapons cna be created. I have a PC who did two Swords with damage add on each! with a 50+ PS, he dishes out 4D4x10+2D6x10 MDC per attack!(paired weapons)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Malakai wrote:I just re-read that, oops.

Also, is there any limit as to how many weapons cna be created. I have a PC who did two Swords with damage add on each! with a 50+ PS, he dishes out 4D4x10+2D6x10 MDC per attack!(paired weapons)

yea, you get A cosmic weapon. not multiple cosmic weapons.

one only.

Vrykolas2k
Champion

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

one only.

Unless, of course, you read the new FAQ, which is considered canon.
What's really fun is this: Objects gain mass through inertia. So, a cosmo-knight is flying at his faster than light speed...
He gets kinda close to an evil planet...
He hurls his cosmic weapon at it...
The planet is destroyed...
He retrieves his weapon.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Vrykolas2k wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

one only.

Unless, of course, you read the new FAQ, which is considered canon.
What's really fun is this: Objects gain mass through inertia. So, a cosmo-knight is flying at his faster than light speed...
He gets kinda close to an evil planet...
He hurls his cosmic weapon at it...
The planet is destroyed...
He retrieves his weapon.

the new faq is written by your fellow posters on this board. hell, i've got some of my own stuff in the new faq.

BELIVE me, it's NOT cannon.

demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

New FAQ is (arguably) a consensus of the posts on a topic, its not Canon by a long shot though it is a bit more reliable than the old FAQ.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

demos606 wrote:New FAQ is (arguably) a consensus of the posts on a topic, its not Canon by a long shot though it is a bit more reliable than the old FAQ.

the new faq is whatever answer the person asking the thread says they accept - weather the answer's right or wrong.

TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

one only.

You can have multiple if you want to invest the Permant MDC/PPE into making a second weapon.

Its not cheap.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
SirTenzan
Rifter® Contributer

Maybe...

Unread post by SirTenzan »

... their Galactic Awareness allows them to maneuver through space at FTL speeds without risk of a collision? It's a strech according to what was described, but maybe?

As for sublight speeds, I thought they could move at Mach 1 per level of experience? I could be wrong. It's been a LONG time since we've had a CK in our campaign.

As an aside, and a bit of fun, what sort of damage do you think a CK Kamikazi attack at FTL speeds would do against something like a Kreeghor Dreadnaught? Anyone care to work up the damages? :lol:
aka

SirTenzan
----------
Citizen of Minnesota, Land of Sky Blue Waters
United States of America
------------------------
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Re: Maybe...

SirTenzan wrote:... their Galactic Awareness allows them to maneuver through space at FTL speeds without risk of a collision? It's a strech according to what was described, but maybe?

As for sublight speeds, I thought they could move at Mach 1 per level of experience? I could be wrong. It's been a LONG time since we've had a CK in our campaign.

As an aside, and a bit of fun, what sort of damage do you think a CK Kamikazi attack at FTL speeds would do against something like a Kreeghor Dreadnaught? Anyone care to work up the damages? :lol:

I'd give it 2d6x 10,000, for game balance {whatever that is}.

SirTenzan
Rifter® Contributer

Ooooh boy...

:eek: Munchkins everywhere are shivering with delight at THAT damaging prospect.
aka

SirTenzan
----------
United States of America
------------------------
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

SirTenzan wrote:... their Galactic Awareness allows them to maneuver through space at FTL speeds without risk of a collision? It's a strech according to what was described, but maybe?

Whatever the Damage, ANYTHING going at light speed should cause the same damage, since the Theory of Relativity tells us that ALL objects at Light Speed gain the same Mass (infinite).

ANd with that much Mass, whether its a whole Cosmo-Knight, just his Weapon, or something else propelled to light speed, should be something like Robotech SDF-1 damage or something.....

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
SirTenzan
Rifter® Contributer

cornholioprime wrote:

Whatever the Damage, ANYTHING going at light speed should cause the same damage, since the Theory of Relativity tells us that ALL objects at Light Speed gain the same Mass (infinite).

ANd with that much Mass, whether its a whole Cosmo-Knight, just his Weapon, or something else propelled to light speed, should be something like Robotech SDF-1 damage or something.....

AS if the last suggestion wasn't bad enough - now all those munchkins are going to have to change their underoos! I suppose you could look on the bright side though - you just saved them $$ in Jergens and Kleenex. :lol:
aka

SirTenzan
----------
United States of America
------------------------
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

SirTenzan wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:

AS if the last suggestion wasn't bad enough - now all those munchkins are going to have to change their underoos! I suppose you could look on the bright side though - you just saved them $$ in Jergens and Kleenex. :lol:
:ugh: :quiet: :oops:

Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Malakai »

to Prempt the Munchkins out there (or to pop thier ballons):

IMO the Cosmo knight woould turn into energy when he goes FTL. Thus, in order to do anything, he would have to go out of FTL speed and thus there you have a normal CK, not some projectile of doom.

Unread post by Guest »

Indeed, a Cosmo Knight in FTL mode is not infinitely heavy, he is massless energy.

Lets not get into the fact that FTL travel basically involves time travel as well....things are already complicated...oh...as for a CK weapon staying after death...if it can be stolen, and the knight can't just make it disappear, then I would say if he dies and doesn't have it, it remains.

I would DEFINITELY let someone spend the P.P.E. for an extra weapon...just as I allow them to spend more P.P.E. than it lists for the Energy Blasts to multiply the damage further, because it's Epic.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Malakai wrote:to Prempt the Munchkins out there (or to pop thier ballons):

IMO the Cosmo knight woould turn into energy when he goes FTL. Thus, in order to do anything, he would have to go out of FTL speed and thus there you have a normal CK, not some projectile of doom.
You forgot the Laws of Inertia, conveniently avoided for purposes of Gameplay and Game Balance.

You know, "a Body in Motion tends to remain in Motion and yadda yadda yadda?"

Therefore, you still should have a VERY fast-moving ball o'Cosmo once he shifts from Energy to Matter....even with some slowdown, he should still have the mass of, oh, Jupiter or something.....

Unread post by Guest »

cornholioprime wrote:
Malakai wrote:to Prempt the Munchkins out there (or to pop thier ballons):

You forgot the Laws of Inertia, conveniently avoided for purposes of Gameplay and Game Balance.

You know, "a Body in Motion tends to remain in Motion and yadda yadda yadda?"

Therefore, you still should have a VERY fast-moving ball o'Cosmo once he shifts from Energy to Matter....even with some slowdown, he should still have the mass of, oh, Jupiter or something.....

Check this out.

The character delves into an Extra-Dimensional font of energy when he switches to FTL mode, gaining a huge extra amount of energy in the process.

When he shifts back, he dumps all that energy back into the higher dimensions, and the inertia goes with it, so he just stops.

Unread post by Guest »

gadrin wrote:RL physics and Palladium simply don't mix.

As written, no.

Thats why you just take the effects they want, and work out the physics to reproduce it.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

I dub thy Commentary....siggable!!!!!

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

AndromBarzin wrote:

Well not quite true...
RL physics ( or just about anything) and CJ Carella :fool: don´t mix... :D
How do Prometheans create offspring?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Tell me...
Please...

Finds arguing with 4th dimensional beings to be very annoying

A mommy and a daddy Promethean who love each other very much... :)
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Dr. Doom v.3.2.5 wrote:
AndromBarzin wrote:

Well not quite true...
RL physics ( or just about anything) and CJ Carella :fool: don´t mix... :D
How do Prometheans create offspring?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Tell me...
Please...

Finds arguing with 4th dimensional beings to be very annoying

A mommy and a daddy Promethean who love each other very much... :)
Yes, but since they are always partially out of Phase......

Daddy should only be able to "hit it" only about 1/4 of the Time..........

VERY frustrating.

Daddy Promethian, self-proclaimed Stud-Muffin ---- :ugh:

Mommy Promethian who was promised a "good time" ---- :rolleyes:

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”