A little fashion advice (from gamers no less)

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I'd say that you go with pants in general, with a kilt option for tailed creatures, since for a dress uniform, the tail pocket or tail hole would just seem silly.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Who says alien races need or even want to wear clothing?

Seriously, if we had evolved with fur, we would have little use for clothing to keep us warm. And if we still had monkey tails we might not have developed a need for pants...or skirts. We just might be buck from the waist down.

Not that I totally disagree with you on the kilts, being a man of Scottish descent, but to assume that our alien allies bow to the same nudity taboos as Terrans do is a bit human-centric. Hell, they might make fun of us for it...

"Hey, human. Nice pants..." :lol:
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

I don't think the kreeghor would amputate the other races' tails, for simple balance issues; they'd waste weeks just teaching the races how to walk again.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
SirTenzan
Rifter® Contributer

As long as...

Unread post by SirTenzan »

... you went without the scottish tartans I would say that it's cool. I really liked the idea of the Kreeghor amputating their' conscripts tails to fit the military uniform code, it fits with their brutal nature very nicely. Well done!
aka

SirTenzan
----------
Citizen of Minnesota, Land of Sky Blue Waters
United States of America
------------------------
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

As far as pants for people with tails go, I always just imagine them as like a fly, but in reverse. Have a slit in the back of the pants that buttons/laces/belts/zips from the top down, and leaves a hole where the tail protrudes.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Having a dress uniform with a tail hole isn't that big a deal. I just describe dog boy dress blues as having a button in back just above the hole. unzip the front, unbutton the back, slip it on, button and zip up.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

gremlin79 wrote:
Kalinda wrote:Having a dress uniform with a tail hole isn't that big a deal. I just describe dog boy dress blues as having a button in back just above the hole. unzip the front, unbutton the back, slip it on, button and zip up.

This is the uniform of a sovereign nation, a visual exemplar of the most powerful government in the Three Galaxies, not the Smurfs. Also, remember that a species develops its sense of fashion in a vacuum. A tailed species would have designed it's outfitsfor their personal comfort. As a sidebar, since the Coalition views Dog Boys as cannon fodder, I seriously doubt they have a dress uniform.

Excuse me for living. Never watched the smurfs, so I can only guess that their outfits somehow resembled my suggestion.

You asked for suggestions about dress uniforms for tailed races that showed off the fact that they still had their tails, and rejected the idea of a kilt on the grounds that it had to be uniform for all the races that would wear it. that pretty much leaves some sort of slacks. I told you how I handle a similar situation in regards to dress slacks and tails, sorry I seem to of offended you.

BTW, In Rifts Lone star the dog boys list of standard equipment includes a dress uniform. Gotta have something to wear when your masters are pinning a metal on you for propaganda purposes...
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

My thoughts:

1) Seeing as the Kreeghor are going to the trouble of making specialized form fitting armour and power armour for their non-Kreeghor and non-human warriors, the expense of a custom tail pocket on the dress uniform seems pretty trivial while removing the tails from their citizens seems useless waste of time and a great way to start a new rebellion.

2) The dog boys would get dress uniforms because they are primarily used as Law Enforcement officers and as such need to relate to the public in a favourable way. The dress uniforms when Dog Boys are on parade would increase the respect the average citizen has for the dog boys, thus increasing the likely hood a citizen would obey a dog boy without the need for a threat or violence. Also, one of the easiest ways to establish loyalty is through reward. Rewarding the dog boys with fancy clothes would increase the dog boys loyalty.

3) The kilts idea is neat, but I could think of a more practical form of dress uniform. Besides the military kilts on modern earth are really related to a unit-by-unit basis and imply a tradition of honour and an elite status. Rathjer than make kilts uniform across the whole force, I'd give them to select units as their specific variation of the dress uniform. An alternative would be to allow all members of the forces the choice of pants or kilt with their dress uniform.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”