The splurgoth's greed

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Re: The splurgoth's greed

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Illithid13 wrote:What would happen if the Splurgoth found wormwood? Would they "enslave" it like they did Elaor? Try to find a way to stabloize the symboits in other deminsions?

What do you think?

Yes.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Illithid13 wrote:What would happen if the Splurgoth found wormwood? Would they "enslave" it like they did Elaor? Try to find a way to stabloize the symboits in other deminsions?

What do you think?
Enslave it AND attempt to reproduce the tech that makes Living Planets in the first place......

...not to mention churning out those Wormwood Symbiotes by the truckload and eventually figuring out a way to have the Symbiotes not die once they are off Wormwood......
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

First off, you would wreck the setting.

Secondly, if the Splugorth kill all the humans, as they are likely to do, the Planet will die. So, the MegaVersal impact would be no more Wormwood.

Thirdly, since the symbiotes die in D6 hours...they are going to be some pissed off when they find that they export "Wormwood Bio-Borgs".

So...if the Living Planet was taken over by the Splugorth, and they were smart enough to NOT kill all the humans...they would get very little out the whole deal. There will doubtless be some kind of organized resistance (who can manipulate Wormwood where the Splugorth cannot), and the Splugs would just end up pumping in endless men and materiel for little or no payback.

it would be the Vietnam of Splugorth expansion.

The Splugorth Lords are businessmen. They would eventually close shop and go home.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:First off, you would wreck the setting.

Secondly, if the Splugorth kill all the humans, as they are likely to do, the Planet will die. So, the MegaVersal impact would be no more Wormwood.

Thirdly, since the symbiotes die in D6 hours...they are going to be some pissed off when they find that they export "Wormwood Bio-Borgs".

So...if the Living Planet was taken over by the Splugorth, and they were smart enough to NOT kill all the humans...they would get very little out the whole deal. There will doubtless be some kind of organized resistance (who can manipulate Wormwood where the Splugorth cannot), and the Splugs would just end up pumping in endless men and materiel for little or no payback.

it would be the Vietnam of Splugorth expansion.

The Splugorth Lords are businessmen. They would eventually close shop and go home.

not really, they'd just enslave most humans and use them as test subjects, they're very good at doing this remember.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Illithid13 wrote:What would happen if the Splurgoth found wormwood? Would they "enslave" it like they did Elaor?

Yes

Try to find a way to stabloize the symboits in other deminsions?

Yes.

What do you think?

I think they would.

Happy? :)
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Illithid13 wrote:They say the truly wise speak with few words... the same can be said about the unimaginitive.

Generally I was looking for more Inspiring ideas as I'm toying with this thought as a possible plot for a campaign.

So what you really want to know is what I would do or how I would run it?

OK
The Splugorth would come in force. They would see the Unholy as a competitor and attack his forces just as much if not more so then the humans. Considering the demons more of a threat then the puny humans.

If the fight lasted long enough the Humans and Unholy might even form a kind of uneasy alliance. Lesser of two evils, enemy of my enemy all that sort of thing
The Splugorth would quickly learn of the MDC humans and want to know why. If they were lucky they would also get the connection Wormwood has with the Human population. If they don't then they could end up killing the planet instead of being able to use it.

If they figure out that fact then most likely the Splugorth would content themselves with seizing some territory and holding it instead of conquering the planet and possibly destroying the resources they are interested in. They would then begin covertly helping both sides in the Human/Unholy war to keep the fight going. Not wanting the Unholy to win for the same reason they don't want to take over and not wanting the Humans since they would then come full force at the Splugorth enclave.
-George Orwell
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Dr. Doom v.3.1.4 wrote:
Illithid13 wrote:They say the truly wise speak with few words... the same can be said about the unimaginitive.

Generally I was looking for more Inspiring ideas as I'm toying with this thought as a possible plot for a campaign.

So what you really want to know is what I would do or how I would run it?

OK
The Splugorth would come in force. They would see the Unholy as a competitor and attack his forces just as much if not more so then the humans. Considering the demons more of a threat then the puny humans.

If the fight lasted long enough the Humans and Unholy might even form a kind of uneasy alliance. Lesser of two evils, enemy of my enemy all that sort of thing
The Splugorth would quickly learn of the MDC humans and want to know why. If they were lucky they would also get the connection Wormwood has with the Human population. If they don't then they could end up killing the planet instead of being able to use it.

If they figure out that fact then most likely the Splugorth would content themselves with seizing some territory and holding it instead of conquering the planet and possibly destroying the resources they are interested in. They would then begin covertly helping both sides in the Human/Unholy war to keep the fight going. Not wanting the Unholy to win for the same reason they don't want to take over and not wanting the Humans since they would then come full force at the Splugorth enclave.
Actually, I think that conquering Wormwood would be a cakewalk for the Sploog.

In and of itself, the Wormwood Setting has a precariously balanced set of powerful foes.

But compared to the Sploogs?? What are the TOTAL forces on the Planet??? A few million, Human AND Unholy Forces COMBINED???

Splynncryth's Atlantis Garrison alone could probably wipe the floor with the entire combined Population of Wormwood allied in opposition. And given their penchant for taking Slaves instead of committing Genocide, sooner or later in the course of "pacification," either some Human (Wormspeaker under Torture), or some member of the Forces of Darkness wishing to save his own skin will tell them all they need to know, perhaps in exchange for some 'reward.'

Wormwood Governor Lord Lesion, anyone???

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Dr. Doom III
Knight

cornholioprime wrote:Actually, I think that conquering Wormwood would be a cakewalk for the Sploog.

In and of itself, the Wormwood Setting has a precariously balanced set of powerful foes.

But compared to the Sploogs?? What are the TOTAL forces on the Planet??? A few million, Human AND Unholy Forces COMBINED???

Splynncryth's Atlantis Garrison alone could probably wipe the floor with the entire combined Population of Wormwood allied in opposition. And given their penchant for taking Slaves instead of committing Genocide, sooner or later in the course of "pacification," either some Human (Wormspeaker under Torture), or some member of the Forces of Darkness wishing to save his own skin will tell them all they need to know, perhaps in exchange for some 'reward.'

Which would equal dead planet.
-George Orwell
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Dr. Doom v.3.1.4 wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:Actually, I think that conquering Wormwood would be a cakewalk for the Sploog.

Which would equal dead planet.
Not if they keep the Slaves on Planet.

Do the usual Splugorth thing growing Human "Crops" and all.

By the way, from what I've read of Lesion and the Unholy, they don't seem to want the Humans dead, either; just a worse Fate: Slavery...

Dr. Doom III
Knight

cornholioprime wrote:Not if they keep the Slaves on Planet.

By the way, from what I've read of Lesion and the Unholy, they don't seem to want the Humans dead, either; just a worse Fate: Slavery...

Nope.

Re-read your Wormwood.
If all the humans die or the forces of darkness win the planet will die.
Notice how in the areas the Unholy controls are "feverish". That will be the entire planet and it will die.
-George Orwell
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Dr. Doom v.3.1.4 wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:Not if they keep the Slaves on Planet.

Nope.

Re-read your Wormwood.
If all the humans die or the forces of darkness win the planet will die.
Notice how in the areas the Unholy controls are "feverish". That will be the entire planet and it will die.
I remember that Statement.

I just don't think that the Sploogies would cause the same sort of "infection" as the Unholy just by enslaving/farming the Humans.....

Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

The splugorth would; I don't know what a splurgoth would do, though; haven't found any materials on them.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Illithid13 wrote:Agreed, but this is all asuming that they find a way to make it function off world for more than 1d6 hours.

Actually they cease to function instantly. They die in 1D6 hours.
-George Orwell
Dr. Doom III
Knight

dracolych wrote:The infection by the Unholy is because the Unholy is LINKED to the planet. If they leave, they die. This is how they can force Wormwood to make the corrupted symbiots. This, compaired to the Splugorth, which is more of a slug on the surface of a leaf.

Now, if the Splogorth start creating corrupted symbiots, or over harvesting, then yah, there would be a reaction. Since the planet is kinda scientient, it would react to the enslavement, too. But to the same degree as it does to the Unholy? Nah.

The Unholy and the Host are not linked to Wormwood in any way.
-George Orwell
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Dr. Doom v.3.2.4 wrote:
dracolych wrote:The infection by the Unholy is because the Unholy is LINKED to the planet. If they leave, they die. This is how they can force Wormwood to make the corrupted symbiots. This, compaired to the Splugorth, which is more of a slug on the surface of a leaf.

Now, if the Splogorth start creating corrupted symbiots, or over harvesting, then yah, there would be a reaction. Since the planet is kinda scientient, it would react to the enslavement, too. But to the same degree as it does to the Unholy? Nah.

The Unholy and the Host are not linked to Wormwood in any way.
In a matter of speaking.

The nature of their Imprisonment binds them to whatever World they escape to from their Dimensional Prison; they can NEVER leave that World/Dimension once there.

However, I agree with you that there is no direct or indirect evidence that their Binding to Wormwood is the reason that Wormwood goes rotten where they live; I always assumed that it was their inherent nature to slowly spoil/corrupt whatever they touch, and therefore the reason that I stated that the Splugorth could most likely makes slaves of every Wormwooder on the Planet and it NOT die......

Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Illithid13 wrote:Would they "enslave" it like they did Elaor?

Yes

Illithid13 wrote:Try to find a way to stabloize the symboits in other deminsions?

Yes

Illithid13 wrote:What do you think?

Other powers (including other Sploggies) will also try to get their claws, tentacle or what ever on Wormwood, mean multidimensional conflict between the forces of good and evil.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

Sploogs+wormwood= 1 dead planet and a bunch more slaves.
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

The splugorth are master of Bio-wizardry, Wormwood is a giant symbiote. The math speaks for itself. Given enought time, they could convert the entire planet into something else, perhaps even creating another one. Any creature that can create rune weapons, and can stand amonsgt Gods will little to no consequence...should not be underestimated.
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”