What do you think of the New Press Release?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

What do you think of the New Press Release?

Unread post by gaby »

So tell Me What do you think of the New Press Release?
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I thought it was awesome, very informative about UR, and upcoming books like Madhaven.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

It sounds real good. If it reads and more importantly plays as good as it advertises then it's going to be awesome.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Well, it certainly does a good job promoting the product, but I still really want to know how many ultimate golds there will be. It did seem to me that they listened to feedback with many of the changes/inclusions they mentioned on the bullet list, both about content and rule tweaks, as well as layout. Kudos there.

Like Apollo, I too was concerned by the advertisement going in... that's really tacky if you ask me. You send me a catalogue with my order, put the ad there, not in my expensive hardcover book. Especially given that later printings will have color art replacing the ad... that's just wrong. Makes the later printings superior to the early ones if you ask me.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin

Unread post by Guest »

The Sovereign wrote:
It's a two page advertisement. If you guys are that damn shallow and nit-picky that you can't skip over two pages of Palladium advertisements then I think you need to sersiously reevaluate why you'd buy a book like this in the first place. Hell, most of Palladium's other books have had ads for the Rifter, their other books, and other games. I really will not mind this ad, I'm not very interested in the Nokia game but I'll just skip it over.

Fine. You pay for your book. You pay to be advertised to. The rest of us will enjoy what the game is about: Playing. Not buying the spin-offs. I'd say that a large majority of serious fans know about the video game. We don't need to be advertised even more. Pretty soon it'll end up like it was in Minority Report.

"Good evening Mr. Smith. Did you enjoy that see-through blouse that you bought for that lovely blonde you were with last week?" A JC Penny's sign says, while Mr. Smith was walking with his Brunette wife.

Mrs. Smith: :shock:

I'd rather have artwork, not advertisement.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

I'll buy the first edition.

Then I'll buy the edition without the ad.

No sweat off of my back or my wallet.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed and more than a little worried. Especially with a line like "Dog Boys can select the boxing skill". I seriously hope he was joking. I mean really joking.

Other than that:

The number of attacks per melee round has been defined.

Good

The difference between “supernatural being” and “creature of magic” has been defined (along with a number of other things).

I thought this had already been done to death.

The layout has been redone with rules and skills in the back of the book.

Not really something to brag about most game companies do this with all their best selling games.

There is more world information, background data and orientation via Erin Tarn.

Another thing I like and which imo was sore lacking in the original rmb

Missiles, grenades and ammo have prices.

This should have been in the original rmb and not something to be used as a sale pitch for Rifts Ultimate Edition.

Missile types are described and so are general types of M.D. weapons (lasers, ion blasters, etc.). Unfortunately, this data is spread out a bit, in two or three locations (CS weapons, How to Survive Mega-Damage Attacks for two and Long-Range Combat).

Same as the prices. Another topic imo which has been done to death

Techno-Wizard device construction rules.

I can't wait to see what these are and I hope they live up to the hype and not copy and pasted from existing sources.

Skill clarifications (Field Armorer rules for souping up vehicles and such).

Another good thing

Rule clarifications.

Good

Weapon & Combat clarifications (BTS-2 approach).

Good

Some magic spell clarifications.

Excellent more than one spell is either poorly worded and inconsistent from book to book.

Penalties for “low attributes.”

This is kind of new but imo will not be used much or not at all. most gamers imo usually do not take low attribute scores unless they benefit from them somewhat.

Skill Penalties.

I maybe wrong but did this not already appear in a previous book.

Rules for surviving M.D.C. damage.

I don't how useful this will be. Usually it's two option wear armor or dodge.

Crash damage.

Another interesting thing. Wonder how it will translate into actual game play.

Expanded, Rifts-specific Insanity Tables (100 phobias)

Interesting both probably more useful to a crazy or juicer.

How to use the Rifts® time-line.

Good

How to get started.

I can see why this was included mostly for those new to Rifts or Rpgs in general.

Rifts® supplement reference guide.

Wonder what this will be like?

Count me as someone who is also not happy with the N-gage ad. This should have been in a Rifter not Ulitmate Rifts. either way I will get it.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Updated core rules in hardback format and 350+ page count for only 34 bucks, glad I already ordered mine.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Sureshot wrote:
I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed and more than a little worried. Especially with a line like "Dog Boys can select the boxing skill". I seriously hope he was joking. I mean really joking.

What have you got against dog boys? :-P

This was the first rules modification my group made, way back in 91. I was writing up a dog boy and asked the GM why they couldn't take boxing. he looked at the RCC and said 'you're right, they're really a men at arms OCC that happens to have psi powers, theres no reason why they shouldn't get boxing.'

I've never met a GM or player who disagreed with that assessment, so we've always played it that way. :)
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:I'll buy the first edition.

Then I'll buy the edition without the ad.

No sweat off of my back or my wallet.

Yup, you always need more then one main rule book during a game anyway. I have three copies of the current RMB, so I know I'll buy at least two copies of UR, more if someone sells one back to the game shop and I can pick it up used.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
60 DaDa points.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Re: What do you think of the New Press Release?

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

gaby wrote:So tell Me What do you think of the New Press Release?

URMB: I will reserve judgment and comment until I have read the book.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen

Unread post by Guest »

I think I made a mistake and should have recommended they include the Perez Rifts Lone Star Comic Strip from the Rifter in Ultimate Rifts.
Benito Pulatso
Explorer

Unread post by Benito Pulatso »

Sounds good, overall. I find the video game ad a little tacky, especially since they ultimately plan to replace it, but oh well. However, I don't really blame them for putting it in the press release, it sounds more like a warning to expect it than a selling point.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Missiles, grenades and ammo have prices.

YAY!

Missile types are described and so are general types of M.D. weapons (lasers, ion blasters, etc.). Unfortunately, this data is spread out a bit, in two or three locations (CS weapons, How to Survive Mega-Damage Attacks for two and Long-Range Combat).

Huh?

Powers Unlimited™ 3 for HU-2 (September or October). Written by Carmen Bellaire. This is a project that has been in the works for a while.

YAY!

Rifts® Adventures in Dinosaur Swamp™. More dinos, more adventure, and some surprises. By Todd Yoho & Siembieda.
YES!

Secret Project Gleba! I have had freelance writer, Carl Gleba, working on a five part, Megaversal crossover series. The first book (Dimension Book: Hades) is finished, Carl’s nearly done with the second book, and . . . hmmm, we’re going to wait until the next book or two are in the pipeline before we launch this groundbreaking series.
WOOT!

well I guess the press release was ok. . . .

[/u]
冠双
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

The 'how to survive mega damage attacks' thing might refer to the rules for field surgery from the GMG, it might also refer to new rules for cover and how it absorbs MD.
60 DaDa points.
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

"How to survive MD attacks" might aso be: You've ogt 140 SDC, and 65 HP, and get hit for 2 MD. Yes, we know you have 5 HP left. BUT, what did that do to your meat? I mean, that's 200 SDC damage concentrated into a tight beam, that's got to have *some* lasting effect.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

daishi wrote:new dimension books, yay, and more books for PF

lets see if palladium actually follows through

Until I actually see these books in stores I will not trust any of their press releases. It's not the first time they announce big plans for other game lines other than Rifts then do not follow through.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Flick
D-Bee

Ultimate Rifts Cool!

Unread post by Flick »

I read the specifics on the press release and am excited. I loved what they did with HU and PF. Each is not perfect but is a definate improvement on the previous edition and packed with new stuff to keep old players interested and fewer errors/confusing points to help new players understand what was intended. The best part is I will have both editions and can play by either one. You can't loose in my opinion. I'm really interested in the elemental fusionist but know that there will be lots of little things changed that will make the old OCC's have more variety which is always fun for me. The two pages of advertisements in a core book is a little low class but the value of a hard cover book just over $30 encourages me to forgive 2 advertisement pages.
I do believe in Narnia.

Return to “Rifts®”