I thought Naruni was high-tech...

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

I thought Naruni was high-tech...

Unread post by The Beast »

In the new Naruni book they introduce a stealth power armor unit called the "Black Fist" (designation = NE-SA40). Its height is anywhere between 5 feet, and 7.5 feet tall. Width & length are 2 feet & 1 foot respectively. The stealth feature helps it to have a radar cross signature the size of a cat. So a big human shape gets reduced to Garfield's size. No problem here. I understand completely.

The United States will eventually be replacing all of our fighter jets with the F-22 Raptor, a stealth jet fighter. Naruni needs start getting their stuff from us. The Raptor's radar cross signature is the size of a bee! :shock:

Anybody else notice little technology boo-boos like this?
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Re: I thought Naruni was high-tech...

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

MaddogMatarese wrote:In the new Naruni book they introduce a stealth power armor unit called the "Black Fist" (designation = NE-SA40). Its height is anywhere between 5 feet, and 7.5 feet tall. Width & length are 2 feet & 1 foot respectively. The stealth feature helps it to have a radar cross signature the size of a cat. So a big human shape gets reduced to Garfield's size. No problem here. I understand completely.

The United States will eventually be replacing all of our fighter jets with the F-22 Raptor, a stealth jet fighter. Naruni needs start getting their stuff from us. The Raptor's radar cross signature is the size of a bee! :shock:

Anybody else notice little technology boo-boos like this?

Ever think an humanoid shaped power armor would be a lot harder to stealth out then a streamlined jet?
Didn't think so. :)
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
The Beast

Phalanx wrote:
MaddogMatarese wrote:The United States will eventually be replacing all of our fighter jets with the F-22 Raptor, a stealth jet fighter.

As a point of order, that's not true at all. The Raptor will replace the F-15 as the USAF's air superiority platform. The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter will become the Air Force, Navy, and Marines' workhorse - replacing the F-16, older F-18s, and the Harrier, for example.

I thought they were the same basic plane though.

Doom, to answer you, I was pointing out that if Naruni was a real life corperation capable of interstellar travel (let's ignore dimmensional travel for now), they would have somewhere around 1 millenium's worth of technological advances compared to us down here on Earth, and this is the best they could do (?!?).

Then again, this may be the best working design they've allowed to be put up for sale and kept the best for their Repo-Bots.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

MaddogMatarese wrote:Doom, to answer you, I was pointing out that if Naruni was a real life corperation capable of interstellar travel (let's ignore dimmensional travel for now), they would have somewhere around 1 millenium's worth of technological advances compared to us down here on Earth, and this is the best they could do (?!?).

Then again, this may be the best working design they've allowed to be put up for sale and kept the best for their Repo-Bots.

As my copy of that book is terribly water damaged and I haven't had time to replace it or look through it I can only ask this..........is there maybe a lot of other goodies in the armor that would keep it from dedicating a lot of its power to this particular feature? Or is it basically just epa with this feature and as such it should be projecting a smaller shape?
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

It's like the Simpsons episode: Visit Futureworld and see the wonders of the year 2000 as imagined by people in the 1950's.

The tech in Rifts Earth is cool and advanced, but it typically uses terms of reference related to the early 1980s instead of early 21st century.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Jefffar wrote:It's like the Simpsons episode: Visit Futureworld and see the wonders of the year 2000 as imagined by people in the 1950's.

The tech in Rifts Earth is cool and advanced, but it typically uses terms of reference related to the early 1980s instead of early 21st century.

Hah that's the truth -- we've got better hard drives now than they do in the RMB iirc.
Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Malakai »

Don't forget that the radar technology may (and probably did) advance along with that "stealth armor". Thus, as comparative high-tech vs high-tech, the cross section is the size of a cat, while high-tech vs low-tech (read: our current high-tech) would let them see our "stealth" planes perfectly and low-tech vs high-tech would mean that their "stealth" systems would be flying feet from us and we would never track it on radar.

that's my take on it.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Malakai wrote:Don't forget that the radar technology may (and probably did) advance along with that "stealth armor". Thus, as comparative high-tech vs high-tech, the cross section is the size of a cat, while high-tech vs low-tech (read: our current high-tech) would let them see our "stealth" planes perfectly and low-tech vs high-tech would mean that their "stealth" systems would be flying feet from us and we would never track it on radar.

that's my take on it.

Everything is relative...including Aunt Bertha :P
Remember kids; just because it may be high-tech to 'YOU', the other guy could have something almost magical in the way it works, which means your gizmo is useles in comparrison.
Arthur C. Clarke had a great quote about that, but for the life of me I can't remember the exact wording.
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Planes are so much simpler to stealth than a humanoid form for one simple reason - hard angles and edges. Stealth planes minimize/eliminate both which is something the human form is well, outright incapable of doing by its very design. The fact that Naruni is capable of reducing the signature to the size of a cat is pretty damn impressive given what they started working with.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Arthur C. Clarke had a great quote about that, but for the life of me I can't remember the exact wording.

any technology sufficiently advanced will be indistinguishable from magic......or something to that effect.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

glitterboy2098 wrote:

any technology sufficiently advanced will be indistinguishable from magic......or something to that effect.

Thank you kindly..that's it exactly.
figures the one day I should remember that quote, my brain locks-up :frust:

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

Sadly, I'd have to agree...the technology could use a bit of "brushing-up". The wonderful people at palladium are concerned with balance. They try their best...and I thank them for it.
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Jefffar wrote:It's like the Simpsons episode: Visit Futureworld and see the wonders of the year 2000 as imagined by people in the 1950's.

THIS is the best In-Game AND Out-of game Explanation going....
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
SirTenzan
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by SirTenzan »

MaddogMatarese wrote:I thought they were the same basic plane though.

:) .... :-) ..... :-D .... :D .... :lol:

Um ... no. That's the short answer. They look somewhat alike, it is been said that the F-35 is the Mini-Me of the F-22. However to say that they are the same basic plane for that reason, it's like saying that the MiG-29 and F-15 are the same basic plane, because they look somewhat alike.

While the F-35 uses many of the same technologies that resulted in the F-22, the aircraft bears few if any common components - it is a completely different aircraft. Capabilities, performance, sheer dimensions, and weapons loadout are different. What's more, is that the F-35 is only a single engined aircraft with some variants exhibiting VTOL capabilities. The F-22 has vectored thrust, but not VTOL.

See here;

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-35.htm

and here...

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-22.htm

Lots of pics to compare! Have fun! 8-)
aka

SirTenzan
----------
Citizen of Minnesota, Land of Sky Blue Waters
United States of America
------------------------
The Beast

SirTenzan wrote:
MaddogMatarese wrote:I thought they were the same basic plane though.

:) .... :-) ..... :-D .... :D .... :lol:

Um ... no. That's the short answer. They look somewhat alike, it is been said that the F-35 is the Mini-Me of the F-22. However to say that they are the same basic plane for that reason, it's like saying that the MiG-29 and F-15 are the same basic plane, because they look somewhat alike.

While the F-35 uses many of the same technologies that resulted in the F-22, the aircraft bears few if any common components - it is a completely different aircraft. Capabilities, performance, sheer dimensions, and weapons loadout are different. What's more, is that the F-35 is only a single engined aircraft with some variants exhibiting VTOL capabilities. The F-22 has vectored thrust, but not VTOL.

See here;

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-35.htm

and here...

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-22.htm

Lots of pics to compare! Have fun! 8-)

Thanks! :-D
SirTenzan
Rifter® Contributer

Glad to be of service! :D

As for the issue at hand, it probably has not been done due to costs.

Technically speaking, sure, a suit of power armor can be made to be completely invisible to radar detection. However, it's going to cost you a boatload of cash to do it. There are even a couple of different ways you can do it. You can go the route of RAM, angled design work, and composite construction. You could even go for an electronic spoofer system, like the active stealth system outfitted on the French Rafale.

Generally speaking, if you want something that is stealthed, make it an aircraft if you want it to fly high enough to be picked up on radar. If you want it to be able to be in water - make it a boat/ship or better yet, a submarine. If you NEED it to be power armor though, have her hug the ground to steer clear of detection.

If you still feel you need stealth power armor, let me know. I've got a power armor creation table that includes stealth as an option.
aka

SirTenzan
----------
United States of America
------------------------
SirTenzan
Rifter® Contributer

You're Welcome!

dracolych wrote:Noticeably drool-worthy pictures. Thanks! :D :ok:

You're quite welcome, Dracolych.

I never skip an opportunity to talk planes when given a chance!

Planes are my first love, that's why I'm still with my wife after nine years, she's my mistress! :lol:
aka

SirTenzan
----------
United States of America
------------------------

Unread post by Guest »

Ya know.

Most Power Armor could fly under major Radar systems.

I always thought of Man Sized Stealth Technology as using Cover and mobility to make up for any possible limits that might exist.
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Swift-13 »

Let's not forget that the altered signature for the suit is also compared to advances in radar technology. As for the stealth jet, I'd much rather be stomping around in hydraulic pants! :D
Remember who you wanted to be.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”