Permanent Bases

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Do your characters have a permanent base to call "Home"?

Yes
61%
No
20%
We're creating one now.
13%
We move too much for setting down roots.
7%

Total votes: 46

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Some games yes, some games no. More often than not, yes.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

It depends. If I am playing a Coalition character who is still with the CS then yes. Well, most times anyways.

If I am playing my personal favorite(True Atlantean Undead Slayer) then almost never will I(and those I travel with) have a permenant base.

I would have to say for the most part my characters do not have a permenant place to call home.
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

depends on the game.

in one game they're settled and have a house they live in.

in another we use a starship as a mobile base.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Permanent Bases

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

C.R.A.F.T. wrote:Do your characters have a permanent base to call "Home"?

Killer Cyborg's permanent base is known as Castle Cyborg.
The bulk of the castle is made of two death's head transports, with a courtyard in between. Each former transport has been converted into a wing, and are connected with a front wall. The rear end of the castle is set into a mountainside, where new tunnels are being carved out.
The entire structure has been covered in MDC stone by an alien architect named Stone Doubt, who has the CEF: Earth power from HU (among others).

Over the past year or so of game-time, a small community has cropped up outside the walls of Castle Cyborg. Killer Cyborg did not ask them to be there, they just started moving there in the hopes that they would be protected by harm by living in his territory. It works, as he keeps xiticix and other monsters effectively out of his domain.
Recently, the village around Castle Cyborg has made contact with a nearbye village of D-Bees, and a profitable trade has opened up, which provides economic motivation for even more people to move into the area.

KC also has a mobile base, a flying longship that he stole from an evil necromancer in the PFRPG world. He has a magic Circle set up in the ship that connects back to a circle in Castle Cyborg, which allows him and his hirelings to travel back and forth from the ship to home instantly.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Once Upon a Time....

After a rather nice haul of cash and coin from a jaunt through the Palladium Fantasy World (I'd just gotten the book, wanted to test it out, and discovered the sample adventure was not designed with one of the members of the party being a Temporal Wizard oh what a haul) the party used the funds to set themselves up as the Protectors for a lil isolated town out in the West (back when the West was just lil isolated towns...ah the old days) and slowly built it up to a moderately defensible position. Walls, a small standing army on permanent patrol when the Party wasn't around to be Champions, the whole nine yards. I never sent anything major at them, but mostly because they never got out of hand with it -- no attempts to rule the world from it, etc. It was just a nice quiet little town where they could relax and plot. Was a touch surreal considering how mind numbingly violent they were when outside of the place :D
Scooter the Outlaw
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Scooter the Outlaw »

A couple of my players own a small house in Lazlo that they bought from the Black Market (a kingpin owns a lot of buildings in Lazlo). It has one giant room and a bathroom. It cost them 200,000 Cr to permanently own. Recently, they left the place after the CS started sending assassins to kill them.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

My character has a home in Taramore.
I'm currently moving refugees to the city at my own expense until I have sufficient numbers of them in place to perform a take over. :)
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Varies with type of character But yes a home base is helpful.

I plan on getting a cool techno-Lair for Psi-Tech in the future.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

No, however the group seems to have adopted a small place in Worldgate in Wormwood as their place for the time being. They usually move around though so I don't think it'll last for long.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Rimmerdal
Knight

gadrin wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:Varies with type of character But yes a home base is helpful.

when you write it up, let me know.

there's a psi-tech in our upcoming Phase World PBP that might be interested in what you come up with.

I'll do that. Hope he has Robot Mechanics and Electronics though...Thats my plan for defensive system..Go all andromeda and have a small MDC and SDC lasers in halls on sensors to deter unwanted company...and of course Robots for heavy lifting and such.

Means I will have to buy Mechanoids and Phase world after all.
taalismn wrote:

Unread post by Guest »

Some yes, some no.

Coalition yes
Magic yes
Heahunters, Assassins, Mercs no
Misc yes/noish

All depends
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Kalinda has a cozy home in Lazlo. it has a garage for her mountaineer ATV, a Library, office, a couple of extra bedrooms for guests, a well equipped kitchen and a bunch of storage space in the basement. Very domestic, just a nice place to relax after a contract or expedition.

Apart from that none of my characters have had bases or anything, but Kalinda really needed someplace to keep her books and pre-rifts artifacts, so she bought her house.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Most of my characters, no but I am usually quite well known to any inns, hotels, etc. that are in the area. Or the group has a large vehicle that acts as a camper type (always well armed).

The group I am running now has managed to help establish a small town between the Relic and Lazlo, which means when they finally get home they have a lot to do.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Lets see
my players(Merc company,) , helped free the town of Liberty and got offer the job as Sheriff and Deputies and nows uses Liberty as a base of operation, until its was destroyed in a full out attack by FOM and CS, then they moved what was lefted of the town and all its people to Virginia to rebuild the town called New Liberty

My coalition characters are stationed in sercet outpost overlooking New Liberty to keep an eye on the merc company there and any thing esle
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Permanent Bases

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

C.R.A.F.T. wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Killer Cyborg's permanent base is known as Castle Cyborg.
The bulk of the castle is
It sounds like you've put quite a bit of time and effort into your base. :ok:

Yup! :)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

The Rifts group I play in managed to find NORAD.
Jimmy Crat
Explorer

Unread post by Jimmy Crat »

As a rule... sometimes. Jimmy Crat and party forged themselves a semi-secret (read: remote) base and made a trip to atlantis to purchase as many slaves as we could afford. We brought them back to our base, set them free and offered them jobs with good pay and protection. We now preside over a thriving (sort of) community. Most of my other characters only have a permanent base if that was the basis of the campaign,
Almost doesn't count; except in horseshoes, tiddly-winks, and hand grenades.

10 Ha-Ha points - thx cornholioprime
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Just creating one.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Gaius
Supreme Being

Unread post by Gaius »

My battle mage keeps a permanent residence in Magestar and shares quarters with his companions at an old pre-Rifts airfield that we discovered and restored. It's not much, but it's home. We keep our robots and power armor in the hangar, which was retrofitted more than the other buildings. The runways have been restored to a degree, but we seldom have any aircraft needing them. The terminal has been converted over to our personal quarters, to include a small gym and a rather extensive armory for our Operator to work out of. The control tower holds most of our communication equipment, allowing us to maintain contact with Magestar and New Lazlo.

All in all, it's a fairly decent little place. We've never been attacked on our home ground, but figure that it's always possible. Should that eventuality arise, we're prepared to abandon the place at a moment's notice. The airfield is no fortress for us to hunker down in. Just a place to sleep at night and park our toys.

Gaius
Strange, we ran down desparate streets and carved our names in the flesh of the city. The sun has stagnated somewhere beyond the rim of the horizon and the darkness is a mystery of curves and lines. Still, we lay under the emptiness and drifted slowly outward, and somewhere in the wilderness we found salvation scratched into the earth like a message.
Rimmerdal
Knight

gadrin wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:Varies with type of character But yes a home base is helpful.

when you write it up, let me know.

there's a psi-tech in our upcoming Phase World PBP that might be interested in what you come up with.

I think I'll go with an old Industrial Complex. Easy to fortify and enough space to work in. I just have to come up with a floorplan (or find one) and then the real fun begins.
taalismn wrote:

GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

We are going to have a "Mobile Home" of sorts. Our Techno-Wizard is working on re-building a Titan Explorer Robot; You know, the one as big as a house and can comfortably house 50+ people! He says that he's "just gonna 'tweak' a few things" before it's done... As the Headhunter, I can really,really appreciate having a place to rest that's MDC, air-conditioned and bug-free! A place to have my NG-X9 Samson repaired while still "in the field" will be a joy! I suspect that the GM is going to let us do this to syphon-off funds from the group, which has gotten relatively rich, and as a hook for various adventures. i.e. "You break down at this old ruined city,and you'll need to look for a few replacement parts..." At least that's been my thoughts on the whole thing. 8)
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Dude, the Behemoth Explorer is the absolute best base, ever. Had a couple of groups get hold of one of those.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Rimmerdal
Knight

rellik wrote:I dunno. A stationary permanent base is like a big "Hey Over Here" sign in a glaring neon pink and a mobile perminent base is like a slightly smaller sign and without the neon. Best to just have a couple of support vehicles and personnel on the move without settling anywhere, but remaining near a dedicated region if needed or moving around the world if not.

Not many mobile factories that are affordable...You can have your base make credits in additon to being 'home sweet home'.
taalismn wrote:

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Current game half the characters are NEMA utility type characters. The other half are PA characters. They use the NEMA base that the PCs were found cryoed in.

My other game the main NPC is based out of a malliable astral kingdom.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “Rifts®”