Could some one help... Psi Stalker Question...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Could some one help... Psi Stalker Question...

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

John Kronus wrote:OK here's my problem... In the main book the Psi-Stalker is defined well enough and we have been playing with them that way for quite some time now... but i was just brushing thru Xiticix Invasion, where i found on pg. 111 the "Wild-Psi Stalker" I am wounder if there is any real difference beside the face that is states: "Wild Psi-Stalkers are human looking, except that they have no (natural) body hair..." It goes on to say they are human mutants... my problem here is the hair issue again... how could the natural/wild psi-stalker have now hair evolve into, for lack of a better term, a domesticated psi-stalker with hair ??

Just curious!

domesticated Psi-Stalkers have hair too by the main book.

the psi-stalker in the picture is bald on his own, the entire race was NEVER bald or albinos.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

None of them have hair. Wild or not.
It's just a stupid way to put it.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Black Ops wrote:So true......

But something completely different:
I have a lot of trouble considering the viability of Psi-Stkalkers as a Race.
Its that they can only exist on PPE,when the first Psi-Stalkers where born
and could only get nourishment from PPE how did they even survive their
childhood ?

Regards

Doesn't hit till puberty, Like other Psychics.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Rimmerdal
Knight

Misfit KotLD wrote:

childhood ?

Regards

Nursing on PPE stored by the mother. Since reproduction is vital to any species continuation, the males would hunt, bring the prey back and let the mothers and expectign mothers feed to provide for their children.

I didn't think Psi-Stalkers could tranfer there own PPE...But I don't use them so I am a little rusty.
taalismn wrote:

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Rimmerdal wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

childhood ?

Regards

Nursing on PPE stored by the mother. Since reproduction is vital to any species continuation, the males would hunt, bring the prey back and let the mothers and expectign mothers feed to provide for their children.

I didn't think Psi-Stalkers could tranfer there own PPE...But I don't use them so I am a little rusty.
Correct.

It is stated somewhere that Psi-Stalkers CANNOT feed on other Psi-Stalkers. However, there's also no reason to assume that the Mother couldn't transfer PPE into the milk the way Mammals transfer Nutrients into thier Milk now.

As to the other question, remember that if need be, they can feed off Ley Lines..... :ugh:
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Rimmerdal
Knight

RE: absorbing from Ley lines:
They can, but it tastes bad......

So says page 105 of my PB presents Rifts...
It goes like this:

Note: The psi-stalker can not feed on the PPE of non-psychics. they can absorb mystic ley line energy, but it tastes bad, like sour milk and ley lines disrupt the stalkers' senses.
taalismn wrote:

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Janissary wrote:Psi-stalkers aren't really a seperate race per se from humans. They are a class of psychic. Bursters are considered human, so are nega-psychics. However I will be the first to admit that there is conflicting information in the books that mention psi-stalkers. Sometimes they are called human mutants that adapted to the presence of such much PPE and other times they are called their own race. A confliction in the rules/setting in Rifts...imagine that! :lol:

Since we are on the subject of psi-stalkers though, here is something that has been nagging me. What happens when a Coalition psi-stalker goes in to a coma due to injuries? I say Coalition because I assum a wild one could have friends that could devise a sort of PPE IV bag or something like that.
They have next to no need for food or water but must have PPE to survive. A crucial part of them "eating" the PPE is to hunt and then cut their prey for it. You can see how being in a coma would make that a little difficult. Now they can draw PPE from a ley-line but its says that it tastes bad, like sour milk. Two questions there spring to mind. First does that mean the effects on their body is similar? Sour milk isn't the greatest thing for one's health. Second, do they need to make a actual effort to take in the PPE? If so( as it is implied by the need to hunt and cut their prey) then putting them on a ley-line would do no good.
Let's just say for the sake of argument that they don't need to be concious to take in the PPE from a ley-line. What do the Coalition medics do then? Give the comatose psi-stalker over to the Rifts study and control group to carry around in their studies?

This is just a little issue I have been pondering, any ideas?
Simple.

It's yet another "hole" in the Game that Kevin did not see any need to fill (or, perhaps more corrrectly, NEVER thought of)....

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Janissary wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Janissary wrote:Psi-stalkers aren't really a seperate race per se from humans. They are a class of psychic. Bursters are considered human, so are nega-psychics. However I will be the first to admit that there is conflicting information in the books that mention psi-stalkers. Sometimes they are called human mutants that adapted to the presence of such much PPE and other times they are called their own race. A confliction in the rules/setting in Rifts...imagine that! :lol:

Since we are on the subject of psi-stalkers though, here is something that has been nagging me. What happens when a Coalition psi-stalker goes in to a coma due to injuries? I say Coalition because I assum a wild one could have friends that could devise a sort of PPE IV bag or something like that.
They have next to no need for food or water but must have PPE to survive. A crucial part of them "eating" the PPE is to hunt and then cut their prey for it. You can see how being in a coma would make that a little difficult. Now they can draw PPE from a ley-line but its says that it tastes bad, like sour milk. Two questions there spring to mind. First does that mean the effects on their body is similar? Sour milk isn't the greatest thing for one's health. Second, do they need to make a actual effort to take in the PPE? If so( as it is implied by the need to hunt and cut their prey) then putting them on a ley-line would do no good.
Let's just say for the sake of argument that they don't need to be concious to take in the PPE from a ley-line. What do the Coalition medics do then? Give the comatose psi-stalker over to the Rifts study and control group to carry around in their studies?

This is just a little issue I have been pondering, any ideas?
Simple.

It's yet another "hole" in the Game that Kevin did not see any need to fill (or, perhaps more corrrectly, NEVER thought of)....

Very possible, even likely. One can't think of everything the players can come up with. What are you thoughts on it Cornholio?
I don't think that there's ANY way to "force-feed" P.P.E. to an unconscious Psi-Stalker with the in-Book Descriptions.

If you're a Psi-Stalker, and you fall into a Coma, then you'd better not be under for more that a few weeks.......

:D

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Janissary wrote:Here's another thought. Psi-stalkers need next to no water or food right? Does that mean they have less bodyily fluids, such as blood, then normal humans? Or does it simply stay "fresh" for longer periods of time then normal? What happens if they suffer major lacerations? Do they not lose much blood because there isn't much for them to lose in the first place? Or do they then need larger then normal amounts of water to replenish what they lost due to injury?

Related to that, do they sweat? As humans or at the very least mammals, they must sweat in order to regulate body tempature. The water has to come from somewhere.

One answer could be that their bodies use the PPE to somehow manufacture water in their system. Nothing like that is mentioned in the books but I suppose it could be possible.

Well they are pale.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
Kalinda
Champion

Re: Could some one help... Psi Stalker Question...

Unread post by Kalinda »

John Kronus wrote:OK here's my problem... In the main book the Psi-Stalker is defined well enough and we have been playing with them that way for quite some time now... but i was just brushing thru Xiticix Invasion, where i found on pg. 111 the "Wild-Psi Stalker" I am wounder if there is any real difference beside the face that is states: "Wild Psi-Stalkers are human looking, except that they have no (natural) body hair..." It goes on to say they are human mutants... my problem here is the hair issue again... how could the natural/wild psi-stalker have now hair evolve into, for lack of a better term, a domesticated psi-stalker with hair ??

Just curious!

If you look at the info on Psi stalkers in Lone star it says that all Psi stalkers, civilized and wild, lack body hair. Basically what we're dealing with is a changed concept. 15 years ago KS wrote up Psi stalkers and defined them one way, later on he changed his mind and decided to change them around some. Only problem is that the main book still has the original info on the RCC. That's one of the big reasons why UR is needed, to fix inconsistences that have cropped up as KS refined his vision over the course of a decade and a half.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Jimmy Crat
Explorer

Unread post by Jimmy Crat »

My big problem with psi-stalkers is how they get enough"food" to support their numbers. This is especially true when I wonder how they did it when the mutation first occured. While men of magic and psychics are viable targets, they have powerful MDC powers. If the psi-stalkers don't get the drop on them the whole hunting party is as good as misted, no wonder psi's and mages are feared. More powerful prey are mdc to begin with. I thought that while the golden age had a plethora of MD tech, it would be military grade as far as weaponry was concerned. If that was true, then where did the 'stalkers get the weapons to hunt their prey? Their whole society hunts, so the weak are kulled. How would even the strong survive? Perhaps the 1/200 that was an aberration and had other psychic powers would help, but they couldn't support the whole population. So how does that work, did the first generation of 'stalkers find a fully functional pre-rifts MD weapons manufacturing facility and get it up and running? They keep it maintained untill modern times? This is my issue.
Almost doesn't count; except in horseshoes, tiddly-winks, and hand grenades.

10 Ha-Ha points - thx cornholioprime
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Jimmy Crat wrote:My big problem with psi-stalkers is how they get enough"food" to support their numbers. This is especially true when I wonder how they did it when the mutation first occured. While men of magic and psychics are viable targets, they have powerful MDC powers. If the psi-stalkers don't get the drop on them the whole hunting party is as good as misted, no wonder psi's and mages are feared. More powerful prey are mdc to begin with. I thought that while the golden age had a plethora of MD tech, it would be military grade as far as weaponry was concerned. If that was true, then where did the 'stalkers get the weapons to hunt their prey? Their whole society hunts, so the weak are kulled. How would even the strong survive? Perhaps the 1/200 that was an aberration and had other psychic powers would help, but they couldn't support the whole population. So how does that work, did the first generation of 'stalkers find a fully functional pre-rifts MD weapons manufacturing facility and get it up and running? They keep it maintained untill modern times? This is my issue.

They fed off ley lines of course.

it's not a big mystery.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Jimmy Crat wrote:My big problem with psi-stalkers is how they get enough"food" to support their numbers. This is especially true when I wonder how they did it when the mutation first occured. While men of magic and psychics are viable targets, they have powerful MDC powers. If the psi-stalkers don't get the drop on them the whole hunting party is as good as misted, no wonder psi's and mages are feared. More powerful prey are mdc to begin with. I thought that while the golden age had a plethora of MD tech, it would be military grade as far as weaponry was concerned. If that was true, then where did the 'stalkers get the weapons to hunt their prey? Their whole society hunts, so the weak are kulled. How would even the strong survive? Perhaps the 1/200 that was an aberration and had other psychic powers would help, but they couldn't support the whole population. So how does that work, did the first generation of 'stalkers find a fully functional pre-rifts MD weapons manufacturing facility and get it up and running? They keep it maintained untill modern times? This is my issue.

They can feed off of various animals, like dogs, horses, etc.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Jimmy Crat
Explorer

Killer Cyborg wrote:

I could be wrong, but doesn't it state that 'stalkers can only feed off magic users, psychics, supernatural creatures, and creatures of magic? I know all living creatures have PPE, but IIRC the 'stalker has a limited diner menu, and I don't mean for flavor.

Oh, I did think of the ley lines, but it seems strange that they became such a hunter culture if they were so sedentary. Also, if they didn't have the right weapons it would be quite dangerous to hang out by the ley lines where baddies congregate, especially since the 'stalkers would lose their senses (early warning system).

Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

You are correct. They can not feed off of non-psychics and the like.
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Jimmy Crat wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

I could be wrong, but doesn't it state that 'stalkers can only feed off magic users, psychics, supernatural creatures, and creatures of magic? I know all living creatures have PPE, but IIRC the 'stalker has a limited diner menu, and I don't mean for flavor.[/quyote]

You are correct.
Dogs, horses, and a number of other animals are psychic.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Rimmerdal
Knight

If it's Psychic it's food. So a mage or any RCC/OCC would have to possess Psychic abilities to some extent to be 'Edibile'.

Mages are safe from feeding. So whay say Psi-Stalkers are Anti-magc? Maybe thats Stalkers don't like them...oh well.

Animals have "naturally inactive" Psychic abilites so they ar food. Slim but it works..

There's my 2 credits.
taalismn wrote:

Jimmy Crat
Explorer

Rimmerdal wrote:If it's Psychic it's food. So a mage or any RCC/OCC would have to possess Psychic abilities to some extent to be 'Edibile'.

Mages are safe from feeding. So whay say Psi-Stalkers are Anti-magc? Maybe thats Stalkers don't like them...oh well.

Animals have "naturally inactive" Psychic abilites so they ar food. Slim but it works..

There's my 2 credits.

Lone Star p.158 wrote:Note: The Psi-Stalker can not feed on the P.P.E. of beings who are not psychic, practitioners of magic, or supernatural in nature.

Non-psychic practitioners of magic and non-psychic beings who are supernatural in nature CAN be fed upon.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

rellik wrote:Idea: PPE enriched fruits....would that work?

Sure, for a special supernatural tree.

Really, I'm curious about plants and PPE in general... I believe that the books say that all living things have PPE, and plants are living things... so plants should have some.

Of course, unless the plant is a mage, psychic, or is supernatural, then psi-stalkers couldn't drain them.

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:Sure, for a special supernatural tree.

Really, I'm curious about plants and PPE in general... I believe that the books say that all living things have PPE, and plants are living things... so plants should have some.

Of course, unless the plant is a mage, psychic, or is supernatural, then psi-stalkers couldn't drain them.

They could just raid (hehe RAID! :) ) Xiticix hives for the PPE gunk they eat.
-George Orwell
Killer Cyborg
Priest

rellik wrote:but wouldnt a tree that constantly abosorbs ambient PPE become supernatural?

Maybe, maybe not.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dr. Doom v.3.1.4 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Sure, for a special supernatural tree.

They could just raid (hehe RAID! :) ) Xiticix hives for the PPE gunk they eat.

I thought so too, but looking it up....

Xiticix Invasion, p. 41
"the PPE int the goop can NOT be accessed and used by men of magic or PPE vampires."

Also, it's poisonous:
"Furthermore, if eaten by any non-xiticix, it has no beneficial effect and is poisonous inflicting 1d4x10 points of damage direct to hit points (2d6 MD to mega-damage creatures)."
Along with other side effects.

Come to think of it, I should send my characters to harvest some of it just to use as a poison... it's pretty darn effective!

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:I thought so too, but looking it up....

Xiticix Invasion, p. 41
"the PPE int the goop can NOT be accessed and used by men of magic or PPE vampires."

Also, it's poisonous:
"Furthermore, if eaten by any non-xiticix, it has no beneficial effect and is poisonous inflicting 1d4x10 points of damage direct to hit points (2d6 MD to mega-damage creatures)."

Come to think of it, I should send my characters to harvest some of it just to use as a poison... it's pretty darn effective!

Oh well.

I just wanted to say RAID! :)
-George Orwell
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dr. Doom v.3.1.4 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:I thought so too, but looking it up....

Xiticix Invasion, p. 41

Also, it's poisonous:

Oh well.

I just wanted to say RAID! :)

:-D

Rimmerdal
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
rellik wrote:Idea: PPE enriched fruits....would that work?

Sure, for a special supernatural tree.

Sure, But two things happen:

1: If feeding of the tree it would die, but your likely eating fruit and sparing the tree.

2: it won't be alot but yes that peice of magical fruit would be PPE requirement filler.
taalismn wrote:

Rimmerdal
Knight

rellik wrote:but wouldnt a tree that constantly abosorbs ambient PPE become supernatural?

Likely
taalismn wrote:

Return to “Rifts®”