What is YOUR favorite horror film... and why?

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What is YOUR favorite horror film... and WHY...?

Rosemary's Baby
1%
The Omen
1%
The Howling
3%
An American Werewolf in London
No votes
The Thing
15%
Salem's Lot
3%
Night/Dawn of the Living Dead
10%
Friday The 13th
2%
Halloween
5%
Scream
1%
Sleepy Hollow
5%
The Grudge
6%
The Ring
6%
The Haunting
1%
Candyman
1%
Mimic
No votes
Species
No votes
Aliens
13%
28 Days
8%
Blade
6%
The Mummy
2%
Brahm Stoker's Dracula (1992)
6%
Mary Shelly's Frankenstein
No votes
Dracula 2000
2%
Interview With The Vampire
2%
Queen of the Damned
2%

Total votes: 108

Gallahan
Adventurer

What is YOUR favorite horror film... and why?

Unread post by Gallahan »

BEYOND THE SUPERNATURAL arrived *before* X-Files and many other shows, novels and games that made roleplaying HORROR *cool.* Personally, it was the catalyst that brought me into the world of HORROR. I wanted to understand the genre that I was about to introduce to my friends. And, of couse, as the GM, I *had* to be THE MASTER of the genre.

This led me to rent movies, read novels, purchase horror movie scores. I bought a copy of Charles Berlitz's "The World of the Supernatural" and other like titles about real-world supernatural events. I started reading Dean Koontz and H.P. Lovecraft. I even read Lee Hawk's "Night, Winter and Death" novel that has faded into obscurity. Old to me were soundtracks/scores from Star Wars, Star Trek and Conan. New to me were scores from THE THING, A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, NIGHTBREED and PREDATOR 2.

Further... The MOVIES added flavor to potential campaign ideas and allowed horror ingredients to simmer. Thus... Movies influenced much of what transpired on dining room tables littered with character sheets, dice, salsa-covered Doritos and multiple copies of BEYOND THE SUPERNATURAL.

Here is your opportunity to say what influenced your game(s)...
"Coincidence is a glimpse into a pattern otherwise hidden."
"We live in a world of secrets. Where those secrets intersect, people die."
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

I add a: "None of the above" option, and vote it.

I do not watch or read anything from the horror genre.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Romero's Night and Dawn movies are pretty much perfection on film.

(Oh, you seem to have left off The Blair Witch Project)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Gallahan
Adventurer

Ya-know, there always seems to be at least ONE or SEVEN!!!! movies left out.

The BLAIR WITCH PROJECT is one of them. If you want to vote for it, just say so, and we'll keep a total.

8-)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Gallahan wrote:Ya-know, there always seems to be at least ONE or SEVEN!!!! movies left out.

The BLAIR WITCH PROJECT is one of them. If you want to vote for it, just say so, and we'll keep a total.

8-)

The Blair Witch Project is not quite as entertaining as Day or Dawn, but it IS probably the most perfect horror film of all time.
-It was scary (not during the film really, just every time I was in the woods for months after that)
-It revolutionized the entertainment industry (in small but significant ways)
-It kept 100% within its budget. (It had no budget, therefore you never see the monster. No cheesey puppets here!)

The Blair Witch Project gets my vote because there are better movies out there, but there are no better horror films made with a lower budget.
This film packs more punch per dollar spent on it than any other horror film in history.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Gallahan
Adventurer

I have to admit that I fell totally in LOVE with the premise of The Blair Witch Project upon learning of it: three students go out to investigate the legend of the Blair Witch. How simple. They went mising, but their film turned up. How evil....

It was great to me because I would have taken on such an endeavor.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Gallahan wrote:I have to admit that I fell totally in LOVE with the premise of The Blair Witch Project upon learning of it: three students go out to investigate the legend of the Blair Witch. How simple. They went mising, but their film turned up. How evil....

It was great to me because I would have taken on such an endeavor.

That's one of the scary things about it.
The three characters only really made one mistake; they decided to make a documentary.
After that, they were doomed.
And it was a mistake that I would likely have made if I were in their place.
Sure, I would have done a dozen things differently once in the woods, but none of it would have made any real difference.

J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

I can't say as I'm qualified to vote on this :-/ I've seen one movie there in its entirety, and maybe half of two others. I'm not a horror-movie fan :-P
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chuck Lang »

For me, hands down, 28 Days Later. If I didn't have to go to work in 5 minutes I'd give a better reasoning, but primarily it was the believability the movie was given. Most other zombie movies seem fake/unrealistic. In 28 Days Later, if people are stupid, they die; this, added to amazing cinematography, created what I think is the best zombie, horror film.

I love this movie. I love this movie so much I want it to have my zombie babies.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I love Salem,s Lot.
It,s one of the Best Tv,s movies from Stephen King,s books.
Thers only one thing I do not get is Why das The Vampire Barlow did not trun some of the Town People into living mind slaves instead of Vampire.
Gallahan
Adventurer

I had originally included The Exorcist and Poltergeist, I think, in my first attempt at this post, and there was a technical glitch or something and it ended up posting when I had only 7 or so choices, and I had to re-post. I must have overlooked them because they certainly belong.

I agree about Poltergeist... Spielberg really hit the horror nail right on the head with that one. And Goldsmith's music was enchantingly horrific.

Again, I concur with your opinion: Robert Picardo's (I didn't realize that was HIM until after watching Voyager) transformation was truly (I'll use the word again) *horrific.* I was SCARED. And then, later in the movie, when the gal is in the classroom... What a tense, scary scene. It's really amazing to me that in the --what-- 20 to 30 years since The Howling came out, there has not been a werewolf movie that even comes CLOSE to it.

:eek: :shock: :eek: :shock: :eek: :shock: :eek: :shock: :eek:
Killer Cyborg
Priest

ash_wednesday wrote:
Geronimo 2.0 wrote:Vincent Price, The Last Man on Earth
Damn skippy! I have that one at home.

Never seen it, but I guess it's safe to assume that it's better than The Omega Man...

Unread post by Guest »

The Thing.

It's the only movie that has EVER given me the willies...EVER...plus it would make a wicked Victim game.
Gallahan
Adventurer

Wow.

An actual TIE between SLEEPY HOLLOW and that excuse for a film called 28 Days!? I can't believe my eyes. :)

Sleepy Hollow wins in EVERY respect... Well, that is, except in the POORLY WRITTEN, POORLY MADE film category.

Okay, okay, I'm being harsh on 28 days, but I think they made the stinking movie in 28 days. Sleepy Hollow is masterpiece of horrific art, down to the music and casting. 28 Days is... well... cheap lighting meets bad script.

But I guess that's why there are different kinds of TOOTHPASTE, right?

:)

Chai
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

Poltergeist.

And since it was mentioned I did find the Omega Man pretty scary.

And how about Planet of the Apes? It may have been science fiction but it was a very dark, we're all doomed type movie.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Marcantony wrote:And since it was mentioned I did find the Omega Man pretty scary.

Read the book it was based off of, I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.
Omega Man would have been better if they hadnt' inexplicably turned the vampires into albino mutants.

count zero
Explorer
Comment: I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Unread post by count zero »

"Dracula 2000"?!

I gotta assume that was put in as a joke. Because if "Dracula 2000" is the favorite horror film of someone, somewhere. . .then I don't know whether to laugh or weep. Now, this is just my opion, so take it with however many grains of salt you like, but I think you selected some pretty dubious movies (e.g. "Candyman," "Species," "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein") while ignoring some really worthy stuff.

I wonder why one of David Cronenberg's films didn't make it on the list. I'm sure everyone remembers The Fly, but how about Scanners or Videodrome?

David Lynch's Blue Velvet might not be considered by most to be a horror movie, but I maintain it's more horrific and creepy than two-thirds of the films on this list.
Evil Dead 2—the abscence of this is just inexplicable; it has to be the funniest horror movie of all time.
Angel Heart
Jacob's Ladder—again, might not be considered a horror movie in the strictest sense, but the Francis Bacon inspired "demons" and the hospital sequence (especially) are wonderfully scary.
Re-Animator & From Beyond—if you've seen them, you know what I'm talking about. Long live Jeffrey Combs!
Dead Alive—this one makes it on the sheer gonzo zaniness of the make-up and effects; redefines the phrase "over-the-top."
A Nightmare on Elm Street—ignore the worthless sequels; Wes Craven was at the top of his game with this one.
The Shining—certainly one of the best adaptations of a Stephen King novel, regardless of the fact that Kubrick wasn't particularly faithful to the novel; the "residents" of the Overlook Hotel give me the heebie-jeebies to this day.
Hellraiser—again, the original is full of weird atmosphere and concepts; and you gotta admit the Cenobites are ten times cooler than any of the crazy slashers like Jason and Michael Myers; the increasingly inferior sequels drag it down.
(I could suggest quite a few more, but you get my point.)

My vote was for Carpenter's remake of The Thing. It's creepy in the extreme, well-acted, and Rob Bottin's creature effects are so over-the-top, you just gotta love 'em.

pax
Ø
Gallahan
Adventurer

I just can't believe it: a three way tie! In all good cheer, I can't believe that 28 Days is in the same league with two GREAT horror movies: The Thing and Sleepy Hollow! :)

I know, I know, we all like/love different things, but c'mon... this is, well, HORRIFIC! LOL

Please, I beg you: Band together and don't allow 28 Days to stand in the same league with some of the classics!
count zero
Explorer
Comment: I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Gallahan wrote:I just can't believe it: a three way tie! In all good cheer, I can't believe that 28 Days is in the same league with two GREAT horror movies: The Thing and Sleepy Hollow! :)

I know, I know, we all like/love different things, but c'mon... this is, well, HORRIFIC! LOL

Please, I beg you: Band together and don't allow 28 Days to stand in the same league with some of the classics!

I hate to be a stickler, but the title of the movie in question is 28 Days Later. Released in 2002, and starring Cillian Murphy, Brendan Gleeson, Christopher Eccleston, and a bunch of rage-infected chimps.

Unless you meant 28 Days (2000), starring Sandra Bullock, Viggo Mortensen, Elizabeth Perkins, and Steve Buscemi. It wasn't a horror movie. Pretty horrible, but not horror.

Anyway, I don't know what you have against 28 Days Later, but it's better than a lot of the other movies you put on the list. It's not a true zombie movie (even though it seems to get filed in that particular sub-genre more often than not), but the opening scenes of the main character wandering the abandoned streets of London are alone worth the price of admission.

pax
Ø
Killer Cyborg
Priest

count zero wrote:Anyway, I don't know what you have against 28 Days Later, but it's better than a lot of the other movies you put on the list. It's not a true zombie movie (even though it seems to get filed in that particular sub-genre more often than not), but the opening scenes of the main character wandering the abandoned streets of London are alone worth the price of admission.

Despite people's protests, it IS a zombie movie.
Sure, the Enraged people aren't technically zombies... that's okay; neither are the walking dead in George Romero's films.
Neither are most creatures in most zombie movies.
The only ones that ARE zombies are the ones raised by voodoo... and there haven't been many films about them.

It it looks like a zombie, acts like a zombie, and attacks like a zombie, it is close enough to make the movie a zombie film.

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

John Carpenter,s Vampires is Great.

The Palladium rpg,s Vampires like the ones in the movie are Hard to killed.

The ones in Blade and Buffy are too easy to killed.

I hope The New Night Stalker Tv,s series will have Vampires who are not easy to kill!

I also like Silver bullet to bad they did not keep the Werewolf,s identity secret up to the end.
Gallahan
Adventurer

What? First I heard of a new Nightstalker TV series. Anyone else hear about this?

The 70s series partially inspired the X-Files, and Darrin McGavin actually appeared in a couple of X-Files episodes. Nightstalker was VERY well written, and the estranged banter between Kolchak and Venchinzo (probably misspelled that name) is priceless.

Some of my favorite episodes are the one with the female vampire (she was pretty hot, even considering 70's ideal of beauty), the headless motorcycle rider with that sword, and the monster that always appeared to you as someone you love and trust.

And yes, I meant 28 Days Later. Good catch. I don't have anything against it, and the scenes in empty London are really eerie, creepy. But I don't think it's in the same league as the other two movies it's tied with. Just good natured competitive spirit in the hopes that one of the others beats up the new contender on the block!

:)
Killer Cyborg
Priest

gaby wrote:John Carpenter,s Vampires is Great.

The book, Vampire$ by John Steakley, is 100x better.
Check it out sometime.

Unread post by Guest »

Rock! Someone else appreciated The Thing as much as I did.

Really, You knew what was going to happen, but it just scares the crap out of you, so tense, such a great mix of psychological horror, and over the top 'ZOMG! THAT GUYS HEAD TURNED INTO A BIG MONSTER MOUTH AND ATE THAT GUY! HOLY CRAP!' type stuff.

Looking out the window and seeing the door flapping in the wind...turning around to find someone behind you who wasnt there before...

Just awesome stuff...oh...G-mo, you were really an Extra in Drac 2000?
count zero
Explorer

Killer Cyborg wrote:The only ones that ARE zombies are the ones raised by voodoo... and there haven't been many films about them.

A true zombie is created with a voodoo ritual. The voodoo-zombie is a living human being that believes he is dead. This is an important distinction. Traditionally, zombies created via voodoo are not dead. It's cognitive abilities are so diminished that it is not capable of independent thought, and thus the perfect slave.

Let's see, there's Wes Craven's The Serpent and the Rainbow. A pretty good film. Not great, but it has its share of creepiness. As I understand it, the depiction of how a zombie is created as shown in this film is fairly accurate (see above). But I gotta go back the the 30s for another example: White Zombie. I think the director was Val Lewton, but I'm hard pressed to name any of the actors. That's it; I can't think of another movie revolving around voodoo-zombies. (This is not to say there are no others; just that I--with my admittedly limited knowledge--cannot think of any other well-known examples.)

Killer Cyborg wrote:It it looks like a zombie, acts like a zombie, and attacks like a zombie, it is close enough to make the movie a zombie film.

Yes, by strict definition, Romero's zombies are not "zombies." I can't recall if they are referred to as zombies in the original film--the title of which is, remember, Night of the Living Dead--but I want to say they are not. They are animated corpses, dead bodies that get up and walk around. Dead, as in "no longer living." Or thinking, for that matter. The heart does not pump, the lungs do not breathe. They shamble. And they eat human flesh, something true (voodoo) zombies don't do.

My definition of "zombie" is the creature as it appears in Romero's movies and all the other zombie movies--good and bad--that came as a direct result of Romero's original. I guess what it boils down to is that, for me, if it ain't dead, it ain't a zombie. It's a quaint notion, I suppose. I agree with you that 28 Days Later is a "zombie" movie, even if those infected with rage aren't rotting/decayed, don't shamble, and are world-class sprinters. I just don't think zombies should run, dagnabbit. One must remember that the zombies' strength is in overwhelming numbers, not speed.

pax
Ø
Killer Cyborg
Priest

count zero wrote:I agree with you that 28 Days Later is a "zombie" movie, even if those infected with rage aren't rotting/decayed, don't shamble, and are world-class sprinters. I just don't think zombies should run, dagnabbit. One must remember that the zombies' strength is in overwhelming numbers, not speed.

I don't mind the fast "zombies"... it's a nice twist and it's one of the best things that 28 Days Later had going for it. Just as long as it doesn't become the standard...

Anyway, it would make sense if zombies were fast-moving if they were freshly killed, then slowed down as their bodies got more and more damaged and messed up.

TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

what no Split Second....starring Rutger Hauer

to be honest i cannot see why alot of those movies in your list are even considered horror...

I'll have to vote either Howling or the Thing...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Gallahan
Adventurer

The Thing finally reigns over 28 Days Later. Woo hooooo! :)

The score for The Thing is one of the finest examples of horror music. It's great to see a strong classic beat out one of the new guys with marathon zombie sprinters.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Gallahan wrote:The Thing finally reigns over 28 Days Later. Woo hooooo! :)

The score for The Thing is one of the finest examples of horror music. It's great to see a strong classic beat out one of the new guys with marathon zombie sprinters.

i like fast zombies, but 28 Daysater just sucked...
i cannot believe it got 1 vote let alone 3...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Gallahan
Adventurer

I never saw Freddy VS Jason. Is that worth seeing?

I did see Jason X, the futuristic one, and that was worth my ticket price. It made fun of itself (the holodeck sequence which I LOVED).
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Gallahan wrote:The Thing finally reigns over 28 Days Later.

Sorry to burst your bubble! :P

Others not on the list:
Jaws (admit it, you only went swimming in the pool after seeing this for the first time)
Alien (only movie I walked away from the 1st time I saw it, and not because I didn't like it. Never bothered to watch it again until its rerelease. By the way, Aliens, the sequel to Alien, is not sci/fi-horror, it's sci/fi-action.)
Poltergeist (I can still hear it... "Mommy cover my eyes!" "I can't! I'm too busy covering mine!")
A Nightmare on Elm Street (not the sequels though, they're too funny)
The Exorcist (never saw it, but I hear it's good)
Stigmata
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
(haven't seen the original, but I hear it's good)
Cujo
Carrie
Christine
The Ghost and the Darkness
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Warriors of the Megaverse Unite !

Unread post by Princedarkstorm »

Way to many to name and list.
Princedarkstorm
Warborn
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

Where's Bubba Ho-Tep? Greatest movie ever made. Seriously.
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Beelzebozo wrote:Where's Bubba Ho-Tep? Greatest movie ever made. Seriously.

That one was seriously funny.

As to the films on the list... I went for what should be called 28 Days Later as 28 Days is a film starring Sandra Bullock. :p

Anyway, one of my all time favorites is an old black & white horror film called The Uninvited starring Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

darkspring wrote:Saw the exorcist when it was re-released at the cinema in the 90's and have to say i cant see what all the fuss was about . Apart from the music i thought it was more funny than scary

The beginning was scary.
The ending was intense and cool.
The middle was mostly a gross-out fest.
The book is much better.

Blair witch project just proves you dont need intelligence to be a student . "Follow the damn river you keep coming accross you feckless morons ". However again i found it more funny than scary and i failed totally to see what all the fuss was about .

1. It was a creek.
2. Creeks in hilly country are very curvy, like an epileptic snake. They twist, turn, and fork off. It can take over twice as long to follow the stream as it can to walk in a straight line.
3. They walked south all day long and ended up back where they started. Following the river would have had the same result.

The fuss is that it is an intelligent movie that was not only good, but that was made for a nearly non-existent budget.
Also, the way they made the film was revolutionary.

Blades more of an action film than a horror film . the Vampires were not much of a threat and died to easily to be scary

And they poofed into glittery confetti when killed.
Blade pretty well sucked (in the bad way).

I personally think Nosferatu ( the original , not the rubbish 70s remake) is the best horror film ever . I saw it a few years ago on tv and went out and got it on dvd . A simple story with simple effects but all the better for it .

Best ever?
I can see it being called a good film, even a great film, but what the heck?
You find Exorcist and Blair Witch more funny than anything else, but Nosferatu is the best horror film ever?
Weird.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Beelzebozo wrote:Where's Bubba Ho-Tep? Greatest movie ever made. Seriously.

Eh. It was okay.
I think that most of the humor came from the concept alone, not the content, and I grasped the concept from reading the back of the box.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

darkspring wrote:
1. It was a creek.
2. Creeks in hilly country are very curvy, like an epileptic snake. They twist, turn, and fork off. It can take over twice as long to follow the stream as it can to walk in a straight line.
3. They walked south all day long and ended up back where they started. Following the river would have had the same result.

the point is they could not have been heading south all day due to the fact that they came back to the same spot and if they followed the creek , chances are that regardless of how curvy it was or how long it took , eventually it would have lead them somewhere else .

No, the point is that they were under the power of something beyond their understanding.
They were no longer in the Black Hills; they were someplace else, under the power of the Witch.
No matter what they did at that point, they were screwed.

not that it matters becouse we all have differing opinions and mine is that the blair witch project was a overhyped load of rubbish. Just becouse it was made on a low budget and the way they made the film was revolutionary doesnt mean its anygood . In my opinion it was not a very good film and not worth the ticket price nor the hype that had built up around it . Im not saying your wrong in your opinion , just that this is mine .

That's fine, but it seems that you missed a lot of what was going on in the film, as do most people who dislike the film.

on a less serouse note , you would have thought that by now people would start carrying guns when going into woods, old houses, cemetaries, holiday camps with a death rate , log cabins , etc .

That's one of the things I like about Friday The 13th: Jason Goes to Hell.
The FBI gets a clue and takes Jason out (sort of).

I agree that the lack of guns can be a problem in movies. Realistically, they would show up more often.
If I had been going into the woods to make a documentary about The Blair Witch, I'd have been armed.
I still would have died screaming, but I'd have been armed.

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I choose Blade but my favorite of all time has to Hellraiser. The first
horror movie I wanted to see and the one that made me no longer
afraid of scary movies. But the horror movie that scared me, and
still scares me to this very day is Jaws. Me and any large body
of water other than a pool are not good friends. :?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

darkspring wrote:
No, the point is that they were under the power of something beyond their understanding.
They were no longer in the Black Hills; they were someplace else, under the power of the Witch.
No matter what they did at that point, they were screwed.

Where did this get explained . I was awake through the whole film and never heard any mention of them being somewhere else because of the witches power.

Matter of fact the witch showed no supernatural power what so ever . Any intelligent nutter could have done to those students what the witch did .

The supernatural never became evident until the really dire sequel

And just becouse i didnt like it doesnt mean i missed what was going on. I just didnt like it .

So you think that travelling south all day and ending up back where you started was just a natural fluke of time and space?

The Blair Witch Project was more than just a film. In order to get the whole picture you needed to go to the website. Watching the Sci-Fi channel special (also supposed to be a documentary) on the film also would have helped, as would reading the book.

Here's a bit more info:
-The footage was found buried under the foundation of a 100 year old cabin (Rustin Parr's) in the woods, in a lair of undisturbed earth.
-Two days after they disappeared, "The Maryland State Police launch their search of the Black Hills area, an operation that lasts ten days and includes up to one hundred men aided by dogs, helicopters, and even a fly over by a Department of Defense Satellite". According to the film, Josh, Heather, and Mike were still stumbling around in the woods during that time and should have been easily noticed
-The final hill that they climb has a 45 degree slope for at least 200 feet. A letter in the book points this out, and that "Problem is, there is no hill like that in the Black Hills area. Nothing with a deviation from ground level of that significance..."
-The searchers never found the building shown in the final parts of the footage, despite a 10 day search.

And things like Mike standing in the corner, Josh's voice being heard after his tongue was apparently cut out, and other stuff could have been faked. But it wasn't.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

darkspring wrote:i took that the reasson they wandered around for ages was becouse they lost the map and compass and i just watched the film , never went on the website, never watched the sci-fi channel special and never read the book. i also have no idea of the geography of the area it was set in .

They travelled south all day long, and they ended up back where they started.
You don't need a map to know that there's something wrong going on.

So i still say the film was rubbish. Any film that cant be watched without also watching a diocumentary, looking at a website and reading a book to actually know whats going on is in my opinion a load of old rubbish. And as i said i was not scared at any point so in my opinion it was rubbish for a horror film .

As I said, you didn't understand it.

And you didn't need to visit the website or that other stuff to understand what was going on.
Or rather, YOU apparently did need to.
Other people didn't.

that been said it was so much better than the Sequal which shows money does not make a good film

We can agree on that.
The sequel had a few good moments, but it pretty much just sucked overall.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

darkspring wrote:
darkspring wrote:
i took that the reasson they wandered around for ages was becouse they lost the map and compass and i just watched the film , never went on the website, never watched the sci-fi channel special and never read the book. i also have no idea of the geography of the area it was set in .

They travelled south all day long, and they ended up back where they started.
You don't need a map to know that there's something wrong going on.

But it is just as feasible that when travelling through a woodland area you are not familier with and having no map or compass to get lost and spend ages walking around in circles .

When did they lose the compass?
It's been a while since I've seen the film.

In any case, you don't need a compass to tell which way you're headed. Not on a sunny day.

you didn't need to visit the website or that other stuff to understand what was going on.
Or rather, YOU apparently did need to.
Other people didn't.

Strange im sure you said to get the whole picture you needed to go to the website . Insulting me and back peddling on what you said does not make your point valid .

In order to get the WHOLE picture, you need to go to the website.
In order to get the basic picture, all you need to do is watch the film.
Not backpeddaling, and not rocket science.

Here's a bit more info:
-The footage was found buried under the foundation of a 100 year old cabin (Rustin Parr's) in the woods, in a lair of undisturbed earth.
-Two days after they disappeared, "The Maryland State Police launch their search of the Black Hills area, an operation that lasts ten days and includes up to one hundred men aided by dogs, helicopters, and even a fly over by a Department of Defense Satellite". According to the film, Josh, Heather, and Mike were still stumbling around in the woods during that time and should have been easily noticed
-The final hill that they climb has a 45 degree slope for at least 200 feet. A letter in the book points this out, and that "Problem is, there is no hill like that in the Black Hills area. Nothing with a deviation from ground level of that significance..."
-The searchers never found the building shown in the final parts of the footage, despite a 10 day search.

none of this is explained in the film so how without going onto the website did everyone else manage to understand this . Am i supposed to psychic . Am i supposed to guess this information that was not in the film

Nope.
Even if you were oblivious to the entire advertising campaign, and you wandered into the theatre without knowing what you were going to see (as a lot of people did), then all you still need to know is in the film.

oh and Dont bother replying if your just going to be insulting again

I'll try to keep things nice, if you return the favor.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

darkspring wrote:this is getting silly now . you liked the film, i hated it .Lets just leave it at that

Fair enough.

Fyrpower
Explorer

Unread post by Fyrpower »

A few films worth watching.

The Raven with Vincent Price, I thought was a good old horror film, for anyone who hasn't seen it, it has one of the best magic duels between two sorcerors I have seen, miles better than the namby pamby magic duels in Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter.

Shadow of the Comet, sort of a rip off, of dawn of the dead in places but still entertaining.

In the Mouth of Madness, liked this for it's feeling of dread and it's Lovecraftesque setting and story.

Ghostbusters, how can you forget this!

The Relic, I thought this was pretty good. That monster was seriously frightening. Like a Boschala on speed or something.
"Arrogance is a poor man's confidence"

"Only when I lose myself with someone else, that I find I myself"

"You eat to live, not live to eat!"
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Fyrpower wrote:The Relic, I thought this was pretty good. That monster was seriously frightening. Like a Boschala on speed or something.

Agreed.
The main reasons I don't like the film is because of the overly-dark lighting that made it hard to see what was happening, and because it suffered from Omniscient Monster Syndrome; the people split up, head in different directions, and the monster somehow attacks each group. :roll:

But the plot and monster would make for some great adventure ideas. :ok:

Really, there are a LOT of movies that aren't great movies, but that would make for great adventures.

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

The Puppet Master is Good.

Are ther Other Movies that have Supernatural forces controling Puppets and Dummys?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

General_Sarkoff wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:what no Split Second....starring Rutger Hauer

to be honest i cannot see why alot of those movies in your list are even considered horror...

I'll have to vote either Howling or the Thing...

I thought I was the only person alive who had seen that movie and was willing to admit it.

Heck, man. Split Second is a great film!

Ridley
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ridley »

Aliens all the way :P
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Of those given, it was a tossup for me with The Grudge {didn't see the original} and Ringu/ The Ring. Went with The Grudge.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Gallahan wrote:I never saw Freddy VS Jason. Is that worth seeing?

I did see Jason X, the futuristic one, and that was worth my ticket price. It made fun of itself (the holodeck sequence which I LOVED).

I thought it was a screwed up episode of Andromeda when I saw it on HBO. Missed the first few minutes, you see...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

my favorite horror film is hell boy which so closely resembled our nightbane quest. Hell boy is so much like bts and nightbane.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”