Ideas for a Forge Priest OCC

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DhAkael
Knight

Re: Ideas for a Forge Priest OCC

Unread post by DhAkael »

gadrin wrote:anyone have any suggestions on a possible Forge Priest OCC ?

I haven't noticed too many Rifts Priests out there and thought that the Forge Priest might be an alternative to the Cosmo-Knight for a more "religious setting" for PW games.

Hmmmmm...
I'd sorta go with a cross between a Shifter (not all supernatural beings are evil, so go with gift of power and just say it's a "good god") and a rougue scholar.
*shrug*
Just a thought... At least until the UWW book comes out.
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

As it's written I doubt the forge would accpet any worship, nor would it empower any who did so.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

I agree with Nekira Sudacne.

The thing about the Forge is that we are not entirly sure that it exists at all. If there were priests running around with magic powers... it would undermine faith in the Forge becasue there would be evidence of its exsistance.

Use the Preacher OCC from Rifts New West.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:I agree with Nekira Sudacne.

The thing about the Forge is that we are not entirly sure that it exists at all. If there were priests running around with magic powers... it would undermine faith in the Forge becasue there would be evidence of its exsistance.

Use the Preacher OCC from Rifts New West.

*scratches head*
N'er thought of that...
Been kinda distracted lately with "Real-life" stuff to really give a flying wet- one about "canon" :erm:
Personaly I don't see the need for priests of the forge...the CK's should be more than enough proof that that damn thing exists.
Everyone else (who preaches about the forge) is just a nut-job looney with delusions of adequacy :P :P :P

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
DBX
Hero

Re: Ideas for a Forge Priest OCC

Unread post by DBX »

gadrin wrote:anyone have any suggestions on a possible Forge Priest OCC ?

I haven't noticed too many Rifts Priests out there and thought that the Forge Priest might be an alternative to the Cosmo-Knight for a more "religious setting" for PW games.

great minds think a like. i too had thoughts on a similar type of occ, but got no where.
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

gadrin wrote:well, no one really knows...

While the Cosmic Forge isn't necessarily perceived by two people the same way
it does have some consistencies: namely the Cosmo-Knights (they're more or less
the same) and the CK's Code of Honor. It has certain expectations that relate
to how a humanoid thinks and acts, not unlike a god in a traditional pantheon.

So let's say for a moment that the Cosmic Forge can be contacted by those that
wish to serve it (but not as Cosmo-Knights). It seems that it could foster a
relationship with a Priest-like OCC which doesn't rely on such extreme powers
and abilities of the Cosmo-Knight.

Rifts is a game first and foremost, so I think a Forge Priest OCC with a few
powers/abilities beyond the "average priest" are possible, if your GM is so
inclined.

as stated previously i had been thinking of what could be described as a cosmic forge priest occ, and it was on a similar lines.

where the cosmic forge seeks out cosmoknights, a cosmic "priest" type occ seeks out the cosmic forge. that was my starting point.

the main problem with this concept as previously stated is that if such an occ develops the way i developed it, then you have to acknowledge officially the existence of the cosmic forge.

though i wonder why the existence of the cosmo knights doesn't do that.

surely similar arguments of why the cosmic forge doesn't exist even though the cosmoknights are there as prove of its existence will apply to another cosmic forge based occ.

where the cosmo knight was a physical/external manifestation of the cosmic forges' power, i saw this priest type occ as the internal/mental manifestatiom of the cosmic forges power

the other way i looked at was that where the cosmoknight wasn't interested in magic and had a weakness for it, this cosmic forge occ could possibly be magic based, so rather than having cosmic armour,blasts, weapons, and being able to destroy dreadnoughts with their little pinky, these guys used spells.

i ended up with a "Cosmic Mystic"
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

1)Just because a bunch of uber powered people all claim to be empowered by the Forge doesnt mean that they are, it jsut means youd on't argue with them to there face.

2)What if the "mysterious" group fo people who call themselves "Cosmic Mystics" got their powers from some one/thing else? Without knowing about it?
Say they had a vision with the "Forge" telling themto keep where they ge t their power forma secret?
That they would be it's eyes, while it's Knights are it's Fists?
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:As it's written I doubt the forge would accpet any worship, nor would it empower any who did so.

Agreed... any "Forge priest" should be adapted from the New West Preacher or Russian Catholic Priest OCCs... religious figure certes, but not empowered by it... those whom the Forge empowers are Cosmo Knights, not pantheons or PFRPG style priests... Its worshippers give reverence to an unresponsive being... Its ways are unfathomable, except (to an extent) to Knights getting a "call to duty"...
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

svartalf wrote:Its worshippers give reverence to an unresponsive being... Its ways are unfathomable, except (to an extent) to Knights getting a "call to duty"...

"The Forge wills it!"

Another thought. Since CosmoKnights are forbidden from taking any kind of political power, they might avoid such a "Forge Church" like the plague. Any Forge Followers would have to see the CosmoKnights as semi-devine, and want to worship them (cosmic Virgin Mary of a sorts...Hail the Knights, full of grace, Truly the Forge art with thee...)

Many a CosmoKnight would fall by acknowledging this worship. In fact, the true CosmoKnights might even try to destroy their own "church", for fear of becoming Fallen. Which leads the Church to brand them as Fallen, even though they aren't. Which turns CosmoKnights into heroic outcasts, fighting to protect a sytem that hates them.

I think too much.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

2)What if the "mysterious" group fa people who call themselves "Cosmic Mystics" got their powers from some one/thing else? Without knowing about it?
Say they had a vision with the "Forge" telling themto keep where they ge t their power forma secret?
That they would be it's eyes, while it's Knights are it's Fists?[/quote]

this option i had also considered. in fact with the forge wars, i see that many Supernatural Intelligences use the cosmoknight and their various priests in their own conflicts.

one supernatural Intelligence creates the cosmoknights, another sets up a cult and so on

they propagate the forge myths to hide themselves

this could lead to the "fallen knights" being the "good guys" having overcome their evil masters hold over them

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”