Age of Rifts Players

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What is your age?

1-12 Waaaaaaaaa!
0%
13-17 Why is my voice changing?
1%
18-21 Role playing sucks, I wonder what her name is...
11%
22-27 My ex sucks, whats this? Rifts?
27%
28-32 Hun, can you watch the kids? I wanna role play!
32%
33-40 When I retire, Im opening a comic book store!
22%
41+ Man, im getting old, my bones hurt when I roll dice.
6%

Total votes: 207

Kagashi
Champion

Age of Rifts Players

Unread post by Kagashi »

I did this poll a few years back, and most folks were about my age (currently 29, I was 26 when I did the first poll). I was wondering if any younger folks have started playing Rifts since the conception of the GMG, BoM, Conversion Book 1 Revised, and most importantly RUE.

After you vote, just state what your first book was and when.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

34. My first Rifts book was the second printing of the RMB, bought in october or november of 1990.

Why yes, I am an old fogey, thanks for asking. Now get off my lawn you damn kids!
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

31+, bought RMB in 1992.

No kids yet, thought.
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

33 years old. I myself have a second printing RMB from around October/November 1990.

And although I'm starting to feel a tad bit on the older side of things, playing and GMing Rifts (amongst other things) keeps me youthful.

And the wife and I are awaiting our first child! :D :D :D
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

32 years old...no kids, but paired off with a wonderful woman 2 yrs. my senior who I met when I was reecruiting for my Rifts game.
FIRST Palladium book was Robotech (Macross), and have since branched off to other settings in the megaverse.
Still have my first edition first printing of the Rifts Main Book; including the original +21 to strike for Hand to Hand basic combat at level 2 :D
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Blue Eyes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Blue Eyes »

hi :)

im 27, my first book was the rifts main rulesbook from 1992, i bought it in 1994

c ya
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Zerebus wrote:I'm 26, and the fact that I'm still younger than most of you does nothing to disuade me from thinking that I'm too old to be playing these games... :P

What did ya say sonny?
Dang...my hearin' aid must be busted...can someone pass me my cane? :P

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

I'm 20.

My first Rifts Book was the Main Book which I bought when I was 8.

~ Josh
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Turned 31 on the 12th of November.
Married. No kids and no plans for kids.
I was born with a D20 in my hand.
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

22, 23 in december.

i'm relitively new, i bought a used copy of the RMB back in...wow...1998. wound up buying more Robotech stuff at the time, and didn't get started buuilding up my RIFTS library till 02
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

33, 1st print RMB in '90.
SoulofThunder
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by SoulofThunder »

i started playing around 92 . but me and my bud have been gaming since 10th grade ( 89-90) . elmagico was the default GM back then.....those were the days.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

wow what a cute bunch of brats you all are, :P
age 36 sep 90 RMB(second printing),
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!

Unread post by Guest »

I'm 18 right now, but I started right after I turned 15.

My group had two mainbooks, so I didn't see much of a point of buying another one.

My first official book purchased with my own money was actually China 1. However, I had read an odd +10-15 world books, borrowed of course.

Now I own a large amount of them.
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Im 21 right now
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
AllMightyRCB
Wanderer

Unread post by AllMightyRCB »

I started in 97 when I was 16. My first book was Rifts Africa, and now I have 32 books.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

8) I'm 35, my first contact with Palladium was Robotech:Macross (1987), played HU & HU2ed, then Rifts, don't play anymore mainly because nobody in my area plays any Palladium rpg....

I still have all my Robotech & HU books :-D
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

25 first rifts games was when I was like 12.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

31 married with three kids. Got into AD&D when I was 11 (though I wanted to buy one, AD&D, when I was 7). Saw Robotech in '87 got into BattleTech because I thought it was the closest thing. Found out about RT got into PB games. Started playing TMNT alot. Saw advertisement for Rifts and the game group was all, HEY it's like TMNT:Transdimensional meets RT! So we picked it up as soon as it came out. Kinda funny how the two games that brought me to Palladium are now gone. :( Anyways now I try to play anygame that hasn't been swollowed by the black hole genericness that is D20. :nh: It's sad that so many creators have thrown away their unique system to conform with D20. You know it was funny I was looking up the term munchkin and the related term munchkin master (a gm who give out stuff willy nilly) anyways basically it stated anyone playin in most MMORPG played in a Munchkin game.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Gabriel_V

Unread post by Gabriel_V »

I started playing Palladium system games with Robotech in 1986. I discovered Rifts in 1990, by way of the original, 1st print, corebook.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

I'm 35 years young, and retirment is the furthest thing from my mind right now. However I do play the Mega Millions lotto game in hopes that I'll never have to worry about it now or ever. :)
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Joey Jo Jo Jr
Explorer

Unread post by Joey Jo Jo Jr »

27, Rifts was first acquired 1990ish
You're all just a bunch of whinging children.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

31 now, started playing RPGs when I was 8 and the first game I ever bought was the original Palladium Books Robotech book (first printing, still got it).
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I bought the Rifts Main Book in 1991, along with Sourcebook 1.
I bought Vampire Kingdoms right after that, along with a slew of other Palladium books.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

38 and diviorced...alas...no lady gamer in my life any longer....
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

35, recently engaged, and have been gaming since age 7 or 8.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

27 (in less than a month) married (for a year, she hates gaming :( ) no kids (when I do have kids and they are old enough I will make sure that they experience paper and dice role playing)

I find it statistically odd that the smallest range of ages 28-32 (only 5 years) yields the majority of gamers.... did anyone else notice that the ranges are different size spans? Why not ignore 1-5 as they probably shouldn't be playing yet and do:
6-10
11-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50
50+

This way with the exception of the 50+ category we have consistent 5 year spans and would yield a more accurate depiction of gamer's ages.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Wildfire
Adventurer

Unread post by Wildfire »

I am 31 and have being playiong rifts since 92, howeve Iwas playing RT, HU, TMNT and N&SS since I got over D&D being the only RPG
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Thinyser wrote:27 (in less than a month) married (for a year, she hates gaming :( ) no kids (when I do have kids and they are old enough I will make sure that they experience paper and dice role playing)

I find it statistically odd that the smallest range of ages 28-32 (only 5 years) yields the majority of gamers.... did anyone else notice that the ranges are different size spans? Why not ignore 1-5 as they probably shouldn't be playing yet and do:
6-10
11-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50
50+

This way with the exception of the 50+ category we have consistent 5 year spans and would yield a more accurate depiction of gamer's ages.

The age groups were set up that way because Ive done this poll before and this has proved my hypothisis that newer gamers are not flooding into Palladiums market (its the same teenage catagory from 1990). It seems that most of the players were 13-18 when RMB came out and that seems to be the only people who play. World books and source books dont seem to bring in new players. I wanted to see if anybody new was playing ever since the newer GM/revised books came out.

I was kinda miffed when RUE was written as if you had to own the RMB first to make any sense out of it (story line wise-written in 109 PA as opposed to 101 PA). But apparently, Palladium was smart on this one and they dont really care about new players. They just want the same old ones to stick around. Their plan worked. They got my 35 bucks for RUE.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

By the way, 580+ of you can look at the poll, but you are not going to vote? 500 of you just window shopped and it takes a good 5 seconds to hit submit!
Updated Aug 2015
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Kagashi wrote:By the way, 580+ of you can look at the poll, but you are not going to vote? 500 of you just window shopped and it takes a good 5 seconds to hit submit!

well the view total is increased anytime sombody goes to the thread (even you) so many of the voters (such as myself) have visited more than once ;)
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Thinyser wrote:
Kagashi wrote:By the way, 580+ of you can look at the poll, but you are not going to vote? 500 of you just window shopped and it takes a good 5 seconds to hit submit!

well the view total is increased anytime sombody goes to the thread (even you) so many of the voters (such as myself) have visited more than once ;)

Crap, thats 4 posts that I made so that AT LEAST 4 times I looked at this (more like 15 or so if I had to guess)!
Updated Aug 2015
Spectre
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spectre »

im 21, started when i was 19.
"A little Rebellion now and then is a good thing." Thomas Jefferson
(To the tune of Ride of the Valkyries): Death and Destruction, Chaos and Carnage, Total Annailation Now!
300 Movie Geek Points
"I immediately regret this decision."- Jack Hare
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Severite »

rifts main book: I was 12 ish, 22 now
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

look at all the '20-30' age range players...
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

aw man...I'm in a new age bracket...

I'm 28 now.
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
burgler81
Explorer

Unread post by burgler81 »

I'm 24, and started in 1991.
Shiva7
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shiva7 »

25, married with 2 children (can see my wife and I with our first on the fairies web page, page 3 i think)

started gaming with TMNT in elementary school (can't remember exactly but I may have been around 10 or so, 60% of my life with a RPG book in my hand, what craziness now that I think of it)

Started rifts with the RMB also in elementary school (have a 1991 prining which would be consistant with grade 6 ot 7)

Tried introducing the wife to RPG's prior to the children, won't make that mistake again (love her with all my heart, but she just doesn't have the gaming personality).
ImageImage
"My saddle-horse has died!"
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'm 28, but I've been playing Rifts since I was... 15? 14? First book I bought was Palladium Fantasy, 1st edition (with the knight on pegasus-back charging the great horned dragon on the cover).
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

20 now (for two more month, drats!), 10 when I started pen & paper RPG's (Rifts). Have GMed for half that time. (How many more of these polls are there going to be?)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

JayBuzz wrote:Polls are fun! I also have a 18 month old kid.
little future gamer. I have to keep my dice on top of the fridge, cause she with out fail finds them anywhere else

My 17 month old broke into my book case...My signed Dark Conversions book is now in about 15 "sections"...
Updated Aug 2015
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Wife, a toddler but no dog (or cat.)

Picked up RMB in 1993 and been buying where I can ever since - few chance to play any more though... :(
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Apparantly there are not many up there in age with me . 41 this year not married but been with same women for nearly 10 years an twin daughters .. First Palladium book ever for me was RMB and the extreamly sought after Wormwood back in the day . I cannot with any honesty remember when that was tho an so I do apologize I personally place it some time in the early 90's or late end of 80's . :oops: heh sorry .

I went from 3 books to 43 books in a month and a half ..

still trying to get the whole meta-plot tolkeen series .. its on order heh

-Lenwen.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

26 sometime in the early ninties I played a PF Healer at summer camp I want to say 92

btw how long has this site been up?
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

26. will be 27 in April.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Lenwen wrote:Apparantly there are not many up there in age with me . 41 this year not married but been with same women for nearly 10 years an twin daughters .. First Palladium book ever for me was RMB and the extreamly sought after Wormwood back in the day . I cannot with any honesty remember when that was tho an so I do apologize I personally place it some time in the early 90's or late end of 80's .

-Lenwen.

You old fart. But the poll was kinda skewed a little, with a big group lumped in from 33 - 40
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

I'm surprised to see I'm in the majority...
28, been playing for at twelve years
First books (bought at the same time) were RMB (2nd printing IIRC), Atlantis, Vampire Kingdoms and South America 1. I hadn't played long, but thought those were the most interesting ones at the time. I liked the look of the Anti-Monster (still do), just so different and a hero class...
Last edited by LostOne on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

First Rifts book was R:UE. I bought it last summer. :)

The first Palladium book I bought was Monsters & Animals (first edition) in late 1990s; all my others were gifts. People like giving me stuff. :D
oni no won
Explorer

Unread post by oni no won »

37y/o.
1st rpg played: D&D basic ed (red box?)
1st RPG purchase: Gamma World
1st Palladium game purchase: TMNT

I have almost the complete set for TMNT, just missing the Adventure book and Yucatan

Have majority of the RIFTS books.

Love Ninjas and Superspies but there is no love shown from Palladium

Return to “Rifts®”