Non-combat Applications of Super Powers

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Uncle Servo
Champion

Non-combat Applications of Super Powers

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

I've noticed from time to time that we tend to get bogged down with discussions on "who would beat who," how to maximize combat effectiveness, or yet another round of "can you use Mimic with Multiple Selves" until we're all blue in the face... but as I look back on my years of gaming I find that my best memories aren't of the ultimate combat roll, but rather from clever uses of super powers.

With that in mind, I'm putting my temporary masochism to work and throwing the following question to the group in a (probably futile) attempt to generate some "off-the-beaten-path" thought/discussion:

What are some good non-combat, yet still heroic (or at least altruistic), applications of super abilities?

Here are a few that come to mind for me:

Healing Factor: Giving blood. You recover from the blood loss more quickly and therefore can donate more often than a normal person.

Underwater Abilities: Searching for bodies/evidence with law enforcement agencies, making underwater repairs on ships/platforms, rescuing people from drowning, and/or assisting scientists with underwater research.

Invisibility: Pretty obvious, but tailing suspects and conducting reconaissance. Bend Light and Intangibility could also work here.

Sonic Speed (or any speed power): High-speed courier for critical items (such as donated organs). Also could be used to get ahead of rampaging animals or rescue passengers from out-of-control vehicles.

Resin: This is listed in the book, but repairing buildings and reinforcing construction projects. Think how useful a character with this power might have been in New Orleans reinforcing levees during/after Katrina.

APS Ice: Generating ice and helping to keep people/items cool in extreme temperatures (again, think how useful someone with this power would have been in New Orleans after Katrina and helping to keep people from suffering due to the heat around the Superdome). Also, the melting ice could be theoretically used as drinking water depending on whether or not the GM rules the generated ice is potable.

Glow Bug: Pretty obvious and also in the power description, but generate light so others can perform essential tasks. A field surgeon trying to save someone's life out in the wilderness at night would have a far easier time of it if he/she could see.

Flight Powers: Perform surveillance to observe and monitor movements/location/status of individuals/vehicles/buildings, high-speed courier of critical items (such as with Sonic Speed) and flying into/above storms to assist scientific research/storm preparedness.

Super Burrowing: The tunneling and excavating aspects would allow you to team up with local contractors to create underground homes in a quick and efficient manner. Habitat for Humanity would consider you the greatest thing since sliced bread.

What are some that the rest of you can think of?
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Flight (any): Take a radio transmitter with you, and you're an "eye in the sky" correspondent.

Multiple Beings/Selves: Construction work. Rebuilding a house when you have five other heroes with you who can coordinate as well as a single person is very useful.

Growth: Also useful for construction.

Super-strength: Instant jaws-of-life.

Explosive Power: Useful for quick demolitions work, or exploding a suspicious package.

Energy Expulsion: Electricity: Instant defribulator. In fact, someone with super-strength, EE:E, and Healing Power would be the ultimate paramedic.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I have a GMPC oceanographer who uses his Stretching power to assist his deep-sea research.
Another used his Animal Brother powers to assist in his work as a Preserve Warden in Africa.
In order to make ends meet, one fellow was using his Sonic Flight to work as a courier.
A long-time fire-fighter actually had Create Force Fields as a power which he used at work.
And then there was the Physical Training character who worked as a physical therapist (although, she was also secretly scoping for other PT characters).
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I've made a couple threads on this in the past.
I'll flip through the book and see what I come up with.
:)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Control Others: Traffic cop? :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

how about some non combat uses for Purely offensive powers:

Rocket Punch: playing Space Football In Mutants in Orbit Space.

Super Energy Expulsion: Powering Laser sails or other kinds of thrust systems

Super Power Punch: Rescues during Earthquakes and collapses

Stench: .. Really bad Pranks in crowded rooms.

{MODERATED - NO SEXUAL INNUENDOS!!! - NMI}
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Body Weapons and Vibration: the human Dremel

Invulnerability and Stretching: judge of a superhero punching contest. Winner is whoever makes the bigger temporary ding in his chest

APS Water and Vibration might make one a very versatile sculpter

Invisibility: special effects. Perfect for any invisible man movie, or for poltergiest/TK effects
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

does super energy expulsion allow you to absorb radiation? if so, there would be one at every nuclear power plant for just such an emergency(and if not, control radiation would do just fine).

super strength, enhanced toughness, and intangibility would be great for rescues in hazardous environments(wtc, subways, underground, etc.).

resin would be great for quick casts of broken bones

healing power: DUH.

super consumption would be great for disposing of hazardous material.

aps light: power solar cells in the dead of night

control insects: no more "dangerous insect alerts," except when a giant one comes to town....

those are just of the top of my head. when i have my books with me, i'm sure i'll be able to get more.
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

A team of beings with Control Elemental forces: Air

never have Katrina again. seriously, just about 3 or 5 of them could take Katrina down to a breeze
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

gadrin wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:A team of beings with Control Elemental forces: Air

never have Katrina again. seriously, just about 3 or 5 of them could take Katrina down to a breeze

ah, excellent, the first entry into my Terraforming Super-Inventions for Phase World: the Weather Control Machines.

what sort of range are we talking about ? may need to stack the power a few times to get the range to cover a decent area.

The range is 500 feet +100 feet per level.

so, let's just do this theroetically:

assuming it's being made by a 15th level super inventor, that's 2000 feet per machine. each one can reduce wind speed by up to 60 miles per hour, and precipitation by up to 90%. they can also increase them up to that amount, if desired

now, assuming your trying to protect a city, you could have a ring outside the city with them spaced 1000 feet apart. this means in any given space there's enough overlap to reduce wind speed by 180 miles per hour and precipitation to far less than 1%, essentially nullifying the rain.

1500 feet within that is a secondary ring of them spaved 1500 feet apart. this gives them enough redunacy to decrease wind speeds by 300 miles an hour. even a tornado would essentially loose potency and unwanted rain negated, though rain could be caused by these as well.

Lastly, you can install them on the back of moving trucks or hovercraft so you can converge them on a given area to prevent a tornado or line up along hte coast to stop a hurricane.

all that is going offically by the book. extend the range from that as you want.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Super PS (any), moving heavy loads in areas too confined for a forklift or crane.

Telekineses. Rescue operations, particulary water and ice rescues.

Heightened sense of smell. Any of the tasks we currently use trained dogs for, except now you have a human mind behind the senses, with no need to interpret a dogs behavior. A character with this power and the track skill would be almost impossible to throw off a trail.

Intangibility. Getting the keys out of someones car when they've locked themselves out.

Sonic flight/speed. secure, fast courier service.

Mechano-link. Computer repairs.

GURPS Supers had a supplement called 'SuperTemps' about a company that connected supers with employers who could use their powers. I'll dig it up and read through it again. IIRC it had some good ideas for non combat usage of abilities.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Disaster Responses Forces

CEF:any would be good(earther's could shore up and repair levees/dikes/dams, while Air's have been already covered, and wdater could reduce flooding or hols flood waters back, Fire's coudl put out fires etc...) Geo-Thermal power could stop vbalcono's and so forth...

Divine Healers/Power touch's could tend to the injured(and powered touch could reapir machines/bridge's dam's levee's etc..). While Portals and Flying Force Disks, Gravity Planes, and Speedsters evacuate the masses, and EE and forcefields put down/stop criminals from taking advantage of the situation.

EDit: Heck One guy with Puwer Touch and CER:Water and Healing Factor and ExtraordinarySPD could have repaired the levees and sucked the water back into them in a day.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Here's an old thread I made with a simular concept:
viewtopic.php?t=27954
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Sentinel
Palladin

I am reminded of such (humour) titles as Damage Control (Marvel), and Hero Hotline (DC).
As well as short comic strips from various What If...comics, featuring such greats as Black Bolt as a rock singer.

Sentinel
Palladin

Therumancer wrote:Hmmm, well most super-powers have non combat uses. I mean even super-strength (lifting) is pretty useful for things like Construction.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Ben Grimm worked for some time as a construction worker.
He was only getting fired because he was too good at his job.
(Marvel Knights: "4" series).

znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

Sentinel wrote:
Therumancer wrote:Hmmm, well most super-powers have non combat uses. I mean even super-strength (lifting) is pretty useful for things like Construction.

>>>----Therumancer--->

stupid unions..... :P
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Sentinel
Palladin

znbrtn wrote:
Sentinel wrote:

>>>----Therumancer--->

That was it. :lol:
If I were in construction, the last guy I'd try to get rid of would be the one man wrecking crew. But then again, I don't live in New York: my state is a Right To Work state in which unions have far less power.

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Didn't he also do some contruction work back in the old Marvel 2 in 1's?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Sentinel
Palladin

Daniel Stoker wrote:Didn't he also do some contruction work back in the old Marvel 2 in 1's?

Daniel Stoker

Yeah, but he did that out of the goodness of his heart.
At the time of the "4" series, he was unemployed.

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Sentinel wrote:Yeah, but he did that out of the goodness of his heart.

Man I need to pull those out now.... But good to see my memory isn't completly shot.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Sentinel
Palladin

Daniel Stoker wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Yeah, but he did that out of the goodness of his heart.

Man I need to pull those out now.... But good to see my memory isn't completly shot.

Daniel Stoker

They were collected into a Trade Paperback.
Wolf at the Door was the title, I believe.
See the Human Torch as a New York fire fighter.
See Mr. Fantastic in a 9-5 office job.
See the Invisible Woman as a teacher. Or, not.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Sentinel wrote:See the Invisible Woman as a teacher. Or, not.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was perfect :D

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

A slightly more general use of my Control Elemental Forces Air machines is pretty simple.

place some in farmland to control the weather.

always have the perfect amount of rain for each crop.

Sentinel
Palladin

Remembering the series Kingdom Come (DC; illustrated by Alex Ross) there are scenes with Clark/Kal-El farming. Superman also did some farming in the late Eighties when he flew off into space (shortly after the Gangbuster and Invasion storylines).
While there are lots of powers that could be applied to specific non-combat activities and occupations, there also many, many ways to apply unrelated powers to such activities as well.
Superman for instance could be an effective toxic waste disposal guy by hauling tanks of toxic material and tossing them into the Sun (or a black hole). With some help from Firestorm, the material could be transmuted into fertile topsoil and used to replentish stripped land areas and grow crops.
Wonder Woman would make an excellent teacher of history, languages, and philosophy.
Mister Miracle has already enjoyed a career as a daredevil, but he could also devise restraint devices for police and correctional institutions.
Batman could take over a colleges' entire academic department and teach everything.
If he were willing to share the technology of the Bug, Blue Beetle could have put Lockheed-Martin into a world of hurt. Beetle and Batman together could has dominated the aerospace industry.

Just a few ideas.

Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Someone with Animal Abilities:Nocturnal(most rodent's are nocturnal) and Control:Insects and Arachnids would make a killing at Pest Control(just command what evers there to leave).
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

znbrtn wrote:
Sentinel wrote:

>>>----Therumancer--->

Unions are what give some of us decent wages compaied to tteh Wally-mart wages the service economy is handing out.

Beastmaster---K9 unit cop
Conduct Electricity--Linesman (power line worker)
Criminal Intuition--beat cop or PI
heighten sence of taist and time would make a great cook/cheff
Toy Control---Toy company sales rep
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Sentinel
Palladin

drewkitty wrote:
znbrtn wrote:
Sentinel wrote:

>>>----Therumancer--->

Unions are what give some of us decent wages compaied to tteh Wally-mart wages the service economy is handing out.

Unions can be good, although they can also be corrupt institutions like anything else. Unions can be used to foster a disincentive to excellence.
As a worker in a Right To Work State, I am well protected from abuses from my employer by impartial state and federal agencies. I have only once ever needed to draw on them.
The Wal-Mart referrence is not lost on me. But, I have also seen workers take the lazy way out because they were protected by the union.

Beastmaster---K9 unit cop
Conduct Electricity--Linesman (power line worker)
Criminal Intuition--beat cop or PI
heighten sence of taist and time would make a great cook/cheff
Toy Control---Toy company sales rep

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

drewkitty wrote:Unions are what give some of us decent wages compaied to tteh Wally-mart wages the service economy is handing out.

Unions can be good, although they can also be corrupt institutions like anything else. Unions can be used to foster a disincentive to excellence.
As a worker in a Right To Work State, I am well protected from abuses from my employer by impartial state and federal agencies. I have only once ever needed to draw on them.
The Wal-Mart referrence is not lost on me. But, I have also seen workers take the lazy way out because they were protected by the union.

Most service sector jobs pay between 7 and 12 bucks per hour (speaking from the LA Area) this hourly rate means that a familly has to have both parents working to meet ends meet and then thay can only shop @ Wally-mart. The more that ppl HAVE TO SHOP at wally-mart the greater the presser to Lower the hourly wage so ppl can afford to shop for the basic nessessities, but that means stores have to lower wages to lower the prices.

Unions, as a colective bargoning unit that does so to keep wages in line with the Cost of Living so a familly can live off of one income. I'm single and in a construction traide so I get a decent wage.....but I'm barly making my bills.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

X-Ray Vision- World Poker Tour :demon:

If that has already been done then I am sorry. Didn't read all three pages.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”