Alien Intelligences

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Alien Intelligences

Unread post by gaby »

Do you think Tomb Grotesque will have a list of Alien Intelligence,s races like the Splugorth,Vampire intelligence,Soulworm and others or will it have rules on how to make your own Alien Intelligences?

Tell Me What you Think?
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Even if the template for rolling up original Intelligences isn't in the book, using Dark Conversions, or Dragons and Gods, you can have your own Alien Intelligences.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Aside from the obvious Lovecraftian reasons, I've never been a big fan of Alien Intelligences being in BTS - it just seems like too much villain for your regular BTS crew to handle.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Marrowlight wrote:Aside from the obvious Lovecraftian reasons, I've never been a big fan of Alien Intelligences being in BTS - it just seems like too much villain for your regular BTS crew to handle.

They're supposed to be.
It's a Horror game.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:Aside from the obvious Lovecraftian reasons, I've never been a big fan of Alien Intelligences being in BTS - it just seems like too much villain for your regular BTS crew to handle.

They're supposed to be.
It's a Horror game.

You can get a horror feel from almost any monster in the game. The AI's just scream unnecessary only in there for the Lovecraft fans overkill.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Marrowlight wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

They're supposed to be.
It's a Horror game.

You can get a horror feel from almost any monster in the game. The AI's just scream unnecessary only in there for the Lovecraft fans overkill.

It's easier to be scared of something that you can't kill.

And there's nothing wrong with Lovecraft. :p

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Marrowlight
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

They're supposed to be.
It's a Horror game.

Actually there were a lot of things wrong with the guy....but that's neither here nor there! :D

I guess I'm just one of those scale people...near-human and normal human characters versus a planet gobbling alien intelligence has always just struck me as too much. Like being a vagabond tossed into a Phase World Battle Royal.

Sure technically that's still a part of gaming, but just a "why bother" part.

Teasing the arrival of an Alien Int? Sure - but once the players are face to face with it, it should be time to break out the new sets of 3d6.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Marrowlight wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

They're supposed to be.
It's a Horror game.

Actually there were a lot of things wrong with the guy....but that's neither here nor there! :D

I guess I'm just one of those scale people...near-human and normal human characters versus a planet gobbling alien intelligence has always just struck me as too much. Like being a vagabond tossed into a Phase World Battle Royal.

Sure technically that's still a part of gaming, but just a "why bother" part.

Teasing the arrival of an Alien Int? Sure - but once the players are face to face with it, it should be time to break out the new sets of 3d6.

In general, I agree.
But it still needs to be there to tease them with.
Also, having them fight it for a while, trying to buy somebody time to close a rift (or open one) and get rid of the thing can work pretty well.

Marrowlight
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:In general, I agree.
But it still needs to be there to tease them with.
Also, having them fight it for a while, trying to buy somebody time to close a rift (or open one) and get rid of the thing can work pretty well.

With all the dying teammates opening or closing a Rift shouldn't be hard to power! :D

Sentinel
Palladin

Re: Alien Intelligences

Unread post by Sentinel »

Redemption0331 wrote:
ash_wednesday wrote:
Redemption0331 wrote:I like them as an option, but I agree that they are generally too powerful for a BTS team to handle.

Once A Marine, Always A Marine
0331/0321
Nothing an RPG can't fix. :wink:

You got that right :P

Even in an SDC world, I'm thinking you'll need more than firepower, unless it's Runic, Enchanted, Blessed, or Psi-Enhanced somehow.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Juankis
Wanderer

Re: Alien Intelligences

Unread post by Juankis »

Sentinel wrote:
Redemption0331 wrote:
ash_wednesday wrote:
Redemption0331 wrote:I like them as an option, but I agree that they are generally too powerful for a BTS team to handle.

Once A Marine, Always A Marine
0331/0321
Nothing an RPG can't fix. :wink:

You got that right :P

Even in an SDC world, I'm thinking you'll need more than firepower, unless it's Runic, Enchanted, Blessed, or Psi-Enhanced somehow.

Well, maybe to hurt it, you don't need to damage it to push it back to where it came from
"If you want something done, ask. If you want something done quickly, ask, and then begin counting down from ten with no explanation."
- Mahatma Gandhi
"Unit be the side of darkeness"

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”