re: Rifts: Manhunter

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Where in Square One is there a store that sells RPG materiel?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Got mine hot out of the box from the (now closed) Eglington 'Silver Snail'.
They didn't even have time to put on the sticker, so I got it at US cover price!

Nice book, great B&W artwork (and the start of the brief R.K. Post carreer with PBooks), a bit "lacking" in cohesion and structure, but great ideas in that book.

I replaced the Archons with Gorooshans in my campaign; much nastier and meaner....sorta like the best of the Kilingons(tm.) and the Yautja (CR. Steve-perry; Dark Horse Books). :D
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

pIcked up mine from 'War and Pieces'...and I'm still finding editing flaws in it...Nice ideas, some nice concepts, soem good equipment, but mis-edits and gaps I could drive a Kreeghor Dreadnought through with room to spare...Did anyone actually proofread this or cross reference some of the descriptions(they have a heavy crew-served plasma projector that does as much damage as a lighter plasma rifle...)???? And some of the most intriguing things egt mentioned almost as an aside in the text, then never explained or presented in detail(The TRASHman's ion Quenchgun, for instance...instead, we have the NUetralizer Missiles)..ARGH!!!!

Still, occasionally I find some gear I can drop into the hands of a character elsewhere, ot an OCC I can apply to another adventure, so the puerchase wasn't a total loss....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I have it. got it for 9 bucks at a local used junk chain. meaning they'll sell used anything, from books to DVD's to anime.

By "local" I mean "1 county and 3 cities over", but well worth the drive 8-)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
VooDu
Explorer

Unread post by VooDu »

Seen lots of post and info but don't have the book :( (one of the few). When I find it... MUHAHAMUHAHA.
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Got mine way back in the day when it was first released - :-D

Yeah great book, loved the space ship creation rules. There was a bunch of cool stuff in it.

Carl
ImageImage
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Carl Gleba wrote:Yeah great book, loved the space ship creation rules. There was a bunch of cool stuff in it.

Carl

Only thing that threw me for a loop though, was that the Hyper-Drive used elemental iron as it's fuel. ~skritch Skritch~

Oh well, at least they had rules for power allocation (sorta) depending on reactor type, and my favorite; Teleporters! "Beam me up Scotchly!"

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

DhAkael wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:Yeah great book, loved the space ship creation rules. There was a bunch of cool stuff in it.

Carl

Only thing that threw me for a loop though, was that the Hyper-Drive used elemental iron as it's fuel. ~skritch Skritch~

Oh well, at least they had rules for power allocation (sorta) depending on reactor type, and my favorite; Teleporters! "Beam me up Scotchly!"

Yeah the whole iron as fuel threw me as well, but hey, it was different :ok:

It was nice to see the various tech, especially the transporters. :D

Carl
ImageImage
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

I guess it is just a term for "very clean iron".

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
King Chopper
Explorer

Unread post by King Chopper »

Can some one tell me what this book entails? I can't find a copy anywhere and can't seem to find much reference to it, other than its out of print.
If I weren't a snob, I'd be unworthy of being French. -Svartalf
"The death penalty may make the State a murderer, but the penal system makes the State into a gay dungeonmaster."
-attributed to Jesse Jackson

Threads killed to date: 23+ and counting

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Rifts: Manhunter was an authorized cross over book made by Myrmidon Press to connect their Manhunter RPG with Rifts.

The Manhunter RPG is basically a space bounty hunter setting.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

More like Blade Runner with Mechanoids...

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
King Chopper
Explorer

Unread post by King Chopper »

Ah I see, thanks, now for the big one. Anyone know where I get a copy? Ebay is lacking, want to sell me yours :D ?
If I weren't a snob, I'd be unworthy of being French. -Svartalf
"The death penalty may make the State a murderer, but the penal system makes the State into a gay dungeonmaster."
-attributed to Jesse Jackson

Threads killed to date: 23+ and counting

maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

I too picked up my copy off ebay. I agree with the previous comments that it's a neat setting with lots of good ideas (best space ship creation rules out there for Palladium), though not without its flaws in execution... I suppose in that way it is like most of Palladium's better books.

I haven't run or played in a game in the Manhunter universe, but I've used more material taken from it than most of the game books I own.

Worth finding. :-)
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

I bought mine a couple years back when Palladium found some in a box somewhere. I bought up a bunch of OOP stuff, like TMNT, TMNT: Trucking Turtles, and Rifts: Mutants in Orbit. I'm still kicking myself on missing out on the Robotech and Macross II books that went on clearance. I just realized that I never picked up a copy of the Macross II mainbook, just the Sourcebook and the Deck Plans. Now those were the best layed out and thought out books Palladium ever put out. For some reason or another, I've found the Warship Combat rules layed in them easier to understand than they were written originally in Zentraedi, and Zentraedi has the exact same rules.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

I agree that DP9 did a fantastic job with the books they did. Would that Kevin have hired them to do more of Palladium's layouts since... :-(
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Manhunters is a pretty cool book that has a varity of possible OCC's, and tons of adventure without being rediculously powerful like phase world.

The manhunters themselves are basically The Mechanoids Lite

good ideas, decent execution, and stellar artwork, it's well worth picking up.

remember, get the first edition if at all possible :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Galahad_Knight wrote:They did another edition?
What was different?

it's a joke silly :P

the only edition ever printed is the first edition. it was canceled before any others were printed.

Stormseed
Explorer

Unread post by Stormseed »

I got a copy a while back for $10 plus shipping through abebooks. I'm planning on hauling it up to GenCon this year to get it signed by KS.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Bought it when it first came out - man that was a long time ago. The Bloodletter is still one of my favorite classes too, even if it isn't an official one anymore.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
danzig138
D-Bee

Unread post by danzig138 »

Picked mine up for $5 at Game HQ. Decent book. I've never used it, but I like to take it out and read it every once in a while.
danzig138
"Maybe allowing the new guy to hang with the party without getting beaten, raped, or summarily sent to the gates of hell in the first few days requires a little extra restraint on the parts of some of the players."
-----Testor the Librarian

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”