Ultucan breath weapon

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DtMK
Hero

Ultucan breath weapon

Unread post by DtMK »

I was reading Dragons and Gods, thinking that the Ultucan could make for an interesting group of NPC's, but something seemed to be omitted, The descrtiption of their attacks talks about using their fire breath weapon, but there are no stats or amount of damage listed for it. I have a second printing of D&G, is this covered in later printings? If not, could someone tell me what the damage for an Ultucan's breath attack would be? Thanks.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Let's see, what would be the appropriate response...Yup Yup, yeppers, uh huh, *nods*or one of my favorites, YAYYUS!!!!

Yep, it is I, Dave the Munchkin Killer! Now, can someone help a guy out with the Ultucan question? And, has anyone else noticed how much they resemble the mounts in Lord of the Rings?
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I'll admit to only having a second printing of the book as well, but looking at it, I'd have to say this is a editing error. I've looked at it over and over again and looked at all the other dragons to look at some things. Oddly enough, from comparing, I'd almost have to say that is just a poor cut and paste from the Fire Dragon. Why the Fire Dragon? I have no clue. However, the attacks per melee wording is the exact same. That would also explain why it states the Ultucan having an affinity for flaming weapons. The bonuses and the damage is also almost identical with these two dragons (save vs. horror factor is one lower for the Ultucan and the last line of damage is different). To further support this basis is that the Ultucan appears to have far more sound abilities than any type of breath powers from their description. The fact that it does not mention breath as a method of damage (instead referencing their songs) is what is really convincing me of this. In all the other dragons (if I didn't miss any) their breath weapon is mentioned in potential damage (even if the damage of it is not). Did that sound clear? I'll quote the book to help ... "the dragon may use its songs, magic, or a weapon." Where it states songs for an Ultucan, it would say toxic breath or fire breath or something similar depending on dragon type. Perhaps none of that truly constitutes as evidence, but it is the best I can offer. Since the Ultucan has enough talents with their songs and it appears as just a bad cut and paste job to me, I'd say just ignore the reference. I hope this helped. Farewell and safe journeys.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

I don't think the Ultucan Dragon has breathe attacks, replaced by it's songs. Which, as far as I can tell, is what Prysus was saying, just sorter...

Cinos
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

Yeah. Looks like they don't have a breath weapon. Replacing the "X breath attacks per melee" with "X songs per melee" seems reasonable.
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”