Inter-Galactic Train System

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

I think the Cosmic Forge opening up a gift shop selling t-shirts that say "I found the Cosmic Forge and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" is more likely than a galactic train system. Sorry :P
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Honestly, an interdimensional ley line train system would be fun - something for the truly powerful and elite to use and abuse (thraxus and his ilk).
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Train system with technology:
Not really. For example ships are supposed to
constantly manouver to avoid collision with objects
(which are too large for the shields to deflect),
when going FTL.

Ley Line train system (UWW):
Certainly possible. Especially if one "allows" the
UWW an extensive, and affordable Gate-grid
(with rift-technology).

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

darkmax wrote:
On ley lines, you will need to have preventive measures for ley line storms, rifts and nexus. The magical hazards seem to me more probable than the environmental ones.

Not really. If the system is based on the New West's Iron horse, it
uses teleport (or Rifts) to move from location to location. Whatever
lies between the starting point and destination, the TW train "jumps"
(or at least travels in a different dimension) over it.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

you realize how friggin much more cheeper and inexpensive it would be to set up free-moving ships with set stops all across the three galaxies tahn it would be to make electomagnetic rings all over the galaxy? the cost for all those rings boggles the mind. Naruni would go bankrupt before even a fraction of the galaxy had tracks.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

you could set up the accellerator rings around a system, and then use a rift drive to traverse stellar distances.

for example, we build Rutan station in orbit, a series of 10 mile wide rings with tractor beam systems to accellerate a craft up to decent interplanetary speeds. then, farther out, we have a Rift gate set up, and the craft passes through to alpha Centuari. there it's redirected by a braking ring, into an orbit that will send it through several more, until it finally slows to a stop at Alphacent station. the craft is then unloaded, new cargo loaded, and accellerated through the gate back to earth, where braking rings bring it to a stop at Rutan station again.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

gadrin wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote: the cost for all those rings boggles the mind. Naruni would go bankrupt before even a fraction of the galaxy had tracks.

I'm not sure, but you might have misunderstood:

I want to find the book involving a Naruni like company, before I read the book about the "galactic railroad system" (2 completely different ideas).

In Rifts a "railroad" would be a waste of time, Pyramid stations would be much more efficient, using Rift Teleportation, or Wormholes from the Spatial Mage/Space magic Rifters.

I was responding to the origional post. not you.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

gadrin wrote:I was the only one who mentioned Naruni :lol:

actually I didn't read any of the replies before posting my own. I used it as my own exsample.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

darkmax wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:you realize how friggin much more cheeper and inexpensive it would be to set up free-moving ships with set stops all across the three galaxies tahn it would be to make electomagnetic rings all over the galaxy? the cost for all those rings boggles the mind. Naruni would go bankrupt before even a fraction of the galaxy had tracks.

You do know how to set up a business, right? This rings are called a one-time investment. It does come with regular maintenance costs.

However, you are thinking of filling up one car full of goods per trip. I am thinking more like 12 cargo cars plus 2-3 for passenger carriages. eventually it will be more cost effective than one ship traversing the 3G. Remember the train only needs one engine to pull 12-15 cars. And the Rings do not need much power until the train is even near.

And on top of that, who's talking about Naruni?

Naruni's a random exsample of the costs involved.

basically, there is NO ONE in the megaverse capable of affording what your talking aobut.

Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

darkmax wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:you realize how friggin much more cheeper and inexpensive it would be to set up free-moving ships with set stops all across the three galaxies tahn it would be to make electomagnetic rings all over the galaxy? the cost for all those rings boggles the mind. Naruni would go bankrupt before even a fraction of the galaxy had tracks.

You do know how to set up a business, right? This rings are called a one-time investment. It does come with regular maintenance costs.

However, you are thinking of filling up one car full of goods per trip. I am thinking more like 12 cargo cars plus 2-3 for passenger carriages. eventually it will be more cost effective than one ship traversing the 3G. Remember the train only needs one engine to pull 12-15 cars. And the Rings do not need much power until the train is even near.

And on top of that, who's talking about Naruni?

You're hung up on space trains, aren't ya, man? Just like that other guy over in the Rifts section with his thing for bringing the wonder of steam powered flying machines to the Palladium world...

Everything in this type of game has to be taken with a grain of salt, but you have to take into account that the Three Galaxies have been home to a starfaring community of advanced races for many thousands of years. Realistically, this concept, if it was workable, would have been implemented on a huge scale long ago. Of course, this is an assumption on my part, but at least it has some background info to drawn upon.
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

You might be delighted:

http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Rifts/Rifts ... _Train.htm

But still, the technological solution is vetoed from me
(if I get to vote at the first place, of course :) ), except maybe
for a towship-variant.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”