Materals for Weapons and Armor

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cinos
Hero

Materals for Weapons and Armor

Unread post by Cinos »

I'm working on makeing weapons and armor more customisable by players, including things like what kind of metal (or wood/leather/bone) it is made of, and more detailed information on things like joten, kobold, dwarven forging, their effects, and more things (including oger tailored leathers, gnomish mechanical weapons, or elven bows), and I'm just seeing if anyone has ideas along these lines.

I've already got rules for the following materals, Steel, Iron, Copper, Bronze, Gold, Silver, Demon hides, and all metals and speical woods found in the Hinterlands book.
Can anyone think of things other than these that might be interesting or fun?

Cinos
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Unobtainium
Handwavium
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

MrNexx wrote:Unobtainium
Handwavium

random brain bursts, or something you submitted in the MoM book? :D

I'm hoping for the former btw.... :)
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Library Ogre

Marrowlight wrote:
Handwavium

It'd be funny if I submitted them, but no... they're just standard names for "Materials we have no idea how they work or are produced, but gee aren't they cool?"

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

MrNexx wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
Handwavium

It'd be funny if I submitted them, but no... they're just standard names for "Materials we have no idea how they work or are produced, but gee aren't they cool?"

I seem to recall Coffin's materials being equally weird sounding. I kinda wish Palladium had more exotic materials in its world truth be told. Crazy cool gems and metals are one of the things I really like about D&D that I don't see much in Palladium (and that's probably the reason why, but bah, I still like them)
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Materals for Weapons and Armor

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Cinos wrote:I'm working on makeing weapons and armor more customisable by players, including things like what kind of metal (or wood/leather/bone) it is made of, and more detailed information on things like joten, kobold, dwarven forging, their effects, and more things (including oger tailored leathers, gnomish mechanical weapons, or elven bows), and I'm just seeing if anyone has ideas along these lines.

I've already got rules for the following materals, Steel, Iron, Copper, Bronze, Gold, Silver, Demon hides, and all metals and speical woods found in the Hinterlands book.

Cinos

Bone
Stone
Wood
Tin

And if you want to include more modern materials:
Cardboard
Hard Plastic
Soft Plastic
Aluminum
Titanium
Uranium
Depleted Uranium
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Bone
Stone
Wood
Tin

I've already dealt with speical woods (and converting normaly metal weapons to normal wood and vice versa, the same with stone), but Tin would be fun.
Cardboard
Hard Plastic
Soft Plastic
Aluminum
Titanium
Uranium
Depleted Uranium

I'd like to keep it in the realm of Palladium Fantasy, so I'm trying not to include these more moderin materials (And weapons and armor made of cardboard stop being weapons and armor if you ask me :) ).

Unobtainium
Handwavium

Real materials please (but Unobtainium sounds really cool, so I might have to invent some crazy magical metal for it....)

If you've already done demon hides, you're probably well advised to run the hides from other animals as well, especially monstrous ones. As for metals, I'd definitely differentiate Dwarven and Kobold steel from the standard variety just on principle. Also, the old Treasures of Middle Earth book by ICE has a fairly exhuastive listing of woods, metals and other materials if you're inclined.

I did up some stuff a couple of years back too. I can probably dig it out if you want to take a look. All of the armour stuff uses the RF system instead of AR's though.

I include these leathers and bones monster to monster, if it is applicable (otherwise they just fall in a general catagorie), and also include spell components magic users can destroy to get temporary boosts to a spell.

Cinos

RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

There are references in Rifts Atlantis2 fr MDC armors which could be a basis for the SDC variety.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Korobite, White Iron, Black Iron, Gantrium - from Northern Hinterlands
Yellow Wood Tree, Honey Tooth Tree - from Eastern Territory
Magic of Science - from Rifter #10
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Cinos wrote:
Cardboard
Hard Plastic
Soft Plastic
Aluminum
Titanium
Uranium
Depleted Uranium

I'd like to keep it in the realm of Palladium Fantasy, so I'm trying not to include these more moderin materials (And weapons and armor made of cardboard stop being weapons and armor if you ask me :) )

Don't think "cardboard boxes" think more along the lines of the 1/2" thick industrial tubes they roll carpet and stuff up on.
Not great stuff, but no worse than padded.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

There's the Insectiod armor in Yin-Sloth (Fyr-Kree or something?), and at least a couple other creatures where they mention turning them into armor. I think.

I forgot about that stuff, time to dust off my Yin-Sloth!

if you guys want i made up a bunch of cool gems(non magical and some psi based) and ive made up some cool stuff that comes from differnt parts of the palladium world, im still working on it my guys love it one of the got one of the gems and decided to run around screaming how he found a rare gem(his character was drunk) and he got beat down by some ogres but when they tried ot take it it burned them(it was a psi gem and bc he was a psi mystic it used a psi power(float) and it flew higher than they could reach. if you wanna know i have a list of these the gems are for the guy saying he iwshed there were more like dnd but yeah i got a few material if your still looking

If you could e-mail me this list (cinos_42@yahoo.com) I'd love it, even if I don't end up using it.

Cinos

The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

Silver rune covered paper.
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
Library Ogre

The Immortal ME wrote:Silver rune covered paper.

Just paper. Parchment, on the other hand... ;-)

All Palladium Articles
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Alright, I know there is one, but what is the technical difference? If you buy "parchment" now, though, it is usually just funky textured paper.

And as I recall, the books tend to use the two interchangeably; it talks about placing pure silver runes on "parchment paper" ... so which is it, parchment of paper?
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
Library Ogre

The Immortal ME wrote:Alright, I know there is one, but what is the technical difference? If you buy "parchment" now, though, it is usually just funky textured paper.

Paper is made from pulped wood. Parchment is made from treated animal skin.

All Palladium Articles
SemajStrut

Weapon and Armor types

Unread post by SemajStrut »

I have actually been working on several roll-ups for treasure chests etc. using percentages. For weapons i have things like iron, copper, silver, gold, platinum, demon bone, angel bone, god bone, unicorn horn. And similiar types and skins for armor. I have also come up with new enchatnments and roll ups for types of weapons and armors. Very time consuming but worth it as Game Master when your players find unique items. Have also come up with new item types and new curses. :ok: :ok:
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

I found a couple more monster-derived armor bits.

In LOD 2, both the Beast of Kathos (pg. 75), and the Slithering Terror (pg. 95) have natural armor that's harvestable. It seems like the Udok (pg. 99) would also (it is the "Armored Bull", after all), but there's no mention in the writeup.

I know I've already dealt with the monsters in LoD1, and know about the extra ones in LoD2, but I haven't gotten around to writing it up yet.

I am putting in a vote for Meteoric Rock. I think its in one of the sourcebooks, but i'll put it up here. Once the rock has been melted down and has all the impurities removed from it, it must be kept hot or else when it cools it can no longer be altered in any way. (Think Wolverines' adamantium.) usually requiring a mold for forging it. once the object is forged correctly it is indestructible and surprisingly light (in the case of both weapons and armor) as well as having three magical abilities! (roll randomly for magic properties, main book i believe.) I believe why this has that properties is that meteors, the source of the material, come from space, for which is the 'playground' of the gods. Meaning that that particular chunk of meteoric material has magical properties naturally!

Anyways, thats my favorite, next to Duct Tape Plate Mail. (AR 16, 250 SDC. only Half normal prowl penalties due to sound dampening padding from tape.)

Metor rocks sound fun for weapons and armor, I'll definley have to play with that, but as far as the great and wonderius Duct Tape Plate Mail, is tape even around in a PF time zone?

And as rungok pointed out, rune paper armor is not very useful, as it has far to much give (and think of the paper cuts!), and I refuse to make something so undignifyed.

Cinos

Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Cinos wrote:
Cardboard
Hard Plastic
Soft Plastic
Aluminum
Titanium
Uranium
Depleted Uranium

I'd like to keep it in the realm of Palladium Fantasy, so I'm trying not to include these more moderin materials (And weapons and armor made of cardboard stop being weapons and armor if you ask me :) )

Don't think "cardboard boxes" think more along the lines of the 1/2" thick industrial tubes they roll carpet and stuff up on.
Not great stuff, but no worse than padded.

Yah. :ok:
You can bash the crap out of someone with carboard tubing on your forearms and shins.
Improvised weapons and armour they may be, but they can do in a pinch.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
The Immortal ME
Explorer

According to the Wikipedia article on steel:

Iron was in limited use long before it became possible to smelt it. The first signs of iron use come from Ancient Egypt and Sumer, where around 4000 BC small items, such as the tips of spears and ornaments, were being fashioned from iron recovered from meteorites (see Iron: History). About 6% of meteorites are composed of an iron-nickel alloy, and iron recovered from meteorite falls allowed ancient peoples to manufacture small numbers of iron artifacts.

Meteoric iron was also fashioned into tools in precontact North America. Beginning around the year 1000, the Thule people of Greenland began making harpoons and other edged tools from pieces of the Cape York meteorite. These artifacts were also used as trade goods with other Arctic peoples: tools made from the Cape York meteorite have been found in archaeological sites more than 1000 miles (1600 km) away. When the American polar explorer Robert Peary shipped the largest piece of the meteorite to the American Museum of Natural History in New York City in 1897, it still weighed over 33 tons.

The name for iron in several ancient languages means "sky metal" or something similar. In distant antiquity, iron was regarded as a precious metal, suitable for royal ornaments.
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

How about glass or ceramic? You'd probably have to enchant them though.

Didn't the feudal Japanese have paper armor? It was, of course, many many layers of paper, not a tissue-paper jumpsuit. It'd be amusing to make a suit of armor out of the pages of spellbooks, or of course, the traditional silver-runed paper. :)

I believe the Mongols used silk 'armor' (if you can call it that). Silk is startlingly tough stuff in layers. Primarily it allowed them to pull barbed arrows out without (further) injury: the arrow would obviously still become impaled in the body, however not as deep, and as it wouldn't pierce the silk (which wrapped the barbs), allowed the arrow to be removed easily. Still, not exactly what I'd call 'armor'. :lol:

Unobtainium
Handwavium

You forgot Fictionite. :D

I was going to suggest magnets, but then I realized you'd just end up curled in a little ball and unable to move. :lol:

How about feathers? It'd have to be lots of feathers. But there are some pretty big, magical feathery things. Wing-tip armor is just ridiculous, though. :-D

I once had an ogre character use the bodies of two unconscious team-mates for armor, one tied on the front, one on the back...
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

While thinking of this, a friend and I had a great idea. Get several high level earth warlocks, and have them inhabit a suit of armor and weapons, then give them to a fighter, it's like runic weapons!

Cinos

Library Ogre

FWIW, I covered some ideas for rune-parchment armor in the Mysteries of Magic manuscript.

Oh, and why every diabolist should know the term "daisy-chain"

All Palladium Articles
Killer Cyborg
Priest

MrNexx wrote:FWIW, I covered some ideas for rune-parchment armor in the Mysteries of Magic manuscript.

'Cause lesbians rock?
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Immortal ME
Explorer

MrNexx wrote:FWIW, I covered some ideas for rune-parchment armor in the Mysteries of Magic manuscript.

Interlocking loops of indestructable parchment forming a rope?
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

rungok wrote:What about taking a person's plate mail, and Gluing the silver runed paper to it? The plate mail would hold againt the impact, and other things arent going to be punching through it.

I know were getting into the realms of the rediculous, but its a space someone must explore... and captain Kirk retired years ago.

I covered Rune Paper Armor here:
viewtopic.php?t=32112

Check it out. :)

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Actually, when I think about it, a single layer of rune-paper glued over plate armor would be savagely effective. You'd be practically immune to piercing attacks.

One might argue that the paper is still flexible, and thus could be driven through the plate armor by an arrow or other heavy impact focused on one point. However, in order to pierce the metal, the arrow is going to have to hit hard enough to dislodge the entire glued surface of the paper; the force is going to be roughly parallel to the surface of the sheet, and adhesives would be enormously strong under those conditions.

If the attacker is managing to get through the armor in this fashion, it's not going to be getting impaled that kills you. :)
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Library Ogre

Killer Cyborg wrote:[
I covered Rune Paper Armor here:
viewtopic.php?t=32112

Check it out. :)

There was a bit of confusion between what's parchment and what's paper... that would be useful to include in MoM, now that I think about it.

All Palladium Articles
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

/Sigh, I bring up armor and of course someone has to bring up the silver runed paper armor....

Cinos

The Immortal ME
Explorer

Gosh. I sparked a fair amount of debate making an offhand joke.
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

You should know that an off hand joke ALWAYS sparks a pointless debate about re-hashed issues that never die and are never really resolved.

Cinos

Aramel
D-Bee

Unread post by Aramel »

i may have missed it, but i dont think so. i am wondering why nobody said anything about Meteorites.. both historically and fictionally speaking soem of the great swords were forged from " rocks from the heavens "

just a suggestion because meteor rock mordern day can be worth up to several thousand dollars a pound.... food for thought..
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Re: Materals for Weapons and Armor

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Cinos wrote:I'm working on makeing weapons and armor more customisable by players, including things like what kind of metal (or wood/leather/bone) it is made of, and more detailed information on things like joten, kobold, dwarven forging, their effects, and more things (including oger tailored leathers, gnomish mechanical weapons, or elven bows), and I'm just seeing if anyone has ideas along these lines.

Cinos

Well, you could use meteoric iron, since that often has concentrations of titanium and nickel.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”