OPEN HOUSE: Found the Free Worlds Council...

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

OPEN HOUSE: Found the Free Worlds Council...

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

I've had a few inquiries, so here is a little "press release":

72 hours ago:
A riot in the capital city of Bosada broke out. Protesters were rallying against the State control of planetary media. Governor Henik ordered the protest quelled. A tank division (24 units) entered the city square with orders to eliminate all resistance.

Unit commander Lieutenant Michael Klass, instead of following orders, took his tanks to the Governor’s Palace. The rioters followed, gathering in numbers. Klass delivers an ultimatum: Henrik has one day to surrender, and turn control of Good Hope over to the people.

Sympathetic uprisings also break out in the cities of Agrieen, Vaumond, Nynaren, and Schembri.

48 hours ago:
Klass’ tanks lay siege to the Govenor’s palace. Legionnaires, friendly to the democratic cause, engage their Kreeghor commanders and secure control of the nearby military base.

24 hours ago:
The Governor’s palace falls to a sustained artillery barrage, and possible internal sabotage. The general populace believes Henik has been killed in the intense shelling. But Klass and a few select other officers, who find themselves in charge of the Rebellion, know that the Govenor and his top aids have escaped via an underground, high-speed monorail.

A new, provisional government is established in the ruins of the palace. Dubbed “the Cadre”, it is comprised of Lt. Michael Klass, Imperial Navy officer Commander Vasto Haseeb (first officer of the Doombringer Nisbroloth), Misner Sowa (commander of visiting Trensik Mercenaries), Lt. Heiegor, and Special Agent Mireat (of Imperial Security).

12 hours ago:
A large number of tanks leave Schembri, and move towards Bosada. They are commanded by General Cadhob, a Kreeghor of some reputation.

From a previously unknown location, Governor Henik sends a communiqué to the Cadre: they are to surrender to the General’s forces within 7 days. Failure to do so, or if fighting breaks out between the Cadre and General Cadhob, Henik will use Good Hope’s planetary defense satellites to destroy the capital.

10 hours ago:
The Cadre formulates a daring plan. A commando team is selected from reliable units. Briefing begins on a plan to capture the satellite control center before the deadline expires.

Players will have the opportunity to play as Formation 1, the elite Special Forces team assigned to capture the satellite control center. Succeed, and the Rebellion can get underway in full. Fail, and its all over...

No backup.

No retreat.

No second chances.

See you there...
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

darkmax wrote:Too bad, I'm not in USA. I would love to have played with you guys.

Too bad I'm broke...even though I am in the USA.

:(

~ Josh
Braden Campbell

Actualy, the players will have 4-6 hours to succeed or fail.

Of course, since I will also be running a late night game at the hotel, for those who are up for it, we might game the further adventures of Formation 1...

should any of them survive.
Braden, GMPhD

Braden Campbell

The thoughest part will be, after they secure the control center, they must hold it for 30 minutes (while the first officer of the orbiting Doombringer mutinies and takes over the ship).

During that time, the PC's will have to fight off reinforcements and hold the building... or die trying.
Braden, GMPhD

Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Braden GMPhD,
Thanks for a great game! It was one of the best games I've ever played in! Wish I had found you for the follow up game...
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Braden Campbell

You guys were as tight a team as I've ever seen... especialy for a group of 7 strangers. That made it all the better for me.

Yeah, it was great. I'm glad you had a good time, too.
Braden, GMPhD

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

...... Dear Diary.
I have just been drafted into Formation One. We are lead by a young punk LT who doesn't look like he has seen a day of combat. We are joined by a group of Trensic mercenaries whos loyalties lie in their next paycheque. A weakling human scout and heavy weapons officer (hope he doesn't drop his gun) and one of my wolfen brothers, a technical expert. Looks like I'm alone on this one.

We are to be dropped 5 miles away from our target. Looks like we are going for a walk.

I chopped and hacked my way through some of the densest jungle I have ever seen. Seems the rest of my squad forgot to bring a machete, pansy bunch of boy scouts.
We arrive at a cable car station across the gorge from the Satellite control center, our target. We have to take out a couple of guards. The scout contacts our sniper who lines up the target. Our tech officer jam's their radios and pop pop two dead guards.

We monitor communications to learn the guards (we estimate 6 teams of unknown numbers) check in every 15 minutes. There is an enclosed monorail track running from one side of the gorge to the other. I climb down and set a "Phase charge" on the top of the tunnel. Silently a 10' hole appears in the tunnel and we drop in. We follow the tunnel to the shipping receiving area of the base where the guar station is. We silently seize control of the guard station and kill the guards.

We then sound a general quarters and when all the staff and soldiers are in their quarters we lock all the doors. We encrypt the security system and rig explosives to go off in the event anyone tries to gain access to the security office. We move upstairs to the second floor and find 8 suits of power armor. Me and the other heavy weapons officer ( who I find I am growing to like) drag the armor into the center of the second floor. We set another phase charge to destroy the PA. all that remains are bits of scrap metal.

The third floor contains the Satellite tracking and control center. We receive a call from the security teams and we over their own radio acknowledge the check in. We aligne the satellites and begin the waiting game.

Me and the explosives expert go back down to the first floor to set charges in the sam installation, which is a secondary objective. We kill the four technicians manning the sam site with knives and e-pistols. We plant our explosives and leave
Time passes and we get another call from the security guards. This time they are not fooled and there are explosions from the first floor. The demolitions guy and I are caught in the explosion. My force field takes the explosion but the demo guy looses most of his armor and has environmental breaches. The HELEN fire extinguisher system goes off. This give the tech officer an IDEA. He sets off the HELEN in the entire building while the demolitons officer goes to the armory to get new armor. Invincible guardsmen escape from their quarters undaunted by the HELEN. A huge firefight ensues leaving me to stand over the bodies of my enemies.

The rest of my squat fires grenades down the tunnel and stair cases to kill off the remaining guards. We adjust the explosives in the SAM site to go off earlier and call in for reinforcements. Our guys show up and secure the building the governor has been killed the building secured the dreadnought captured and the Legend of formation one begins. All in all a pretty good day.
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Nicely written up! I think you got all of it.

Except who killed most of the techs in the SAM installation? The big scary wolfen, or the female human demo officer?

IIRC, You did take out down an IG all by yourself, though...no mean feat.

That, and how you heroically pulled me out of the HALON after my armor was fragged and I failed the saving throw. "Don't you die on me!"
Last edited by Xar on Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Xar~

Braden Campbell

That's it in a nutshell.

Setting: Bossada, capital city of Good Hope

The adventure opens on the gloomy morning of the third day following the destruction of the Governor's Palace. The monsoons will soon start battering the east cost, bringing daily rain into the interior. The people are celebrating their "freedom", but news has leaked out that a massive tank division, consisting of Dark Slayers and at least one Doomsday Machine, have left the city of Schembri, and are coming here to crush the rebels. Citizens around the planet wait anxiously to see what transpires before they dare to support the rebellion.

The Cadre, the provisional militocracy government that has taken control, has set up shop in the gutted remains of Bossada's finest hotel. On the third floor, the PCs meet, having been separately contacted and requested to come here.

The Cadre seems to be made up at least four members: Michael Klass - the leader and a respected armor commander, Hasto Vaseeb - First officer of the orbiting Doombrigner Nisbroloth, Agent Mireat of Imperial Security - a Silouette woman who reads the minds of the PC group to ferret out any spies, and Misner Sowa - an aging and heavily scared Trensik Mercenary.

Fro the record, the only Cadre member of good alignment was Klass. Everyone else was evil or anarchist. They just saw the rebellion as their chance to gain some real power, and took it. In historic retrospect, the citizens of the Good Hope Rebellion ended up trading one oppressive government for another (though the second is couched in talk of liberation and freedom).

Their mission is laid out - after Agent Mireat IDs an NPC as a spy, and has him dragged from the room to be shot out in the hall. Governor Henik escaped to a remote satellite control center, and has threatened the Cadre. They must surrender in 7 days, or else he will turn Good Hope's satellites around 180-degrees, and torch the captial city. HOWEVER< in three days the orbiting Doombringer, which is in for repairs to its communication array, will be fixed. When it hears what has happened on the planet below, the forces on that ship will rain down and crush the rebellion.

Vasto Haseeb will go aboard the Nisbroloth and stage a mutiny, but the satellites must be under Cadre control. If the mutiny fails, the satellites will be aimed at the ship, and will turn it into scrap before it can leave orbit.

The party is given floor plans of the installation, and told that they can have just about any kind of gear they think they might need. Then the GM left for close to an hour, buying toys and eating pizza, returning occasionally to answer questions, while the group, now called Formation 1, put together a plan.

For the next day and a half, the team trains on the fourth floor of the hotel, using mannequins taken from department stores, and furniture taken from the other hotel rooms. One of the group, a local farmer who will be leading Formation 1 to their objective, is taken away by Agent Mireat to make a pro-rebellion propaganda film. (The only stupid stat I naturally rolled was his - MA of 23. He became the poster boy of the revolution).

Because of the number of SAM sites surrounding the main control center, the team had to dropped into the jungle, then lead by the wilderness scout overland. After that, it was all up to them. They had to secure the control center, contact the Cadre (so Vaseeb knew when to start his mutiny) then hold the building for at least 30 mins while the Doombringer threat was neutralized.

In the end, they not only pulled it off, but did so with no casualties.
Braden, GMPhD

Braden Campbell

Oh... and it's Halon (link) that was released... not HELEN.

Though I'm sure she's nice... ;)
Braden, GMPhD

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:Oh... and it's Halon (link) that was released... not HELEN.

Though I'm sure she's nice... ;)

Auto correct feature of the spell check failed me !!!!!!!!

And Helen is very dangersous
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

I got the green light from my FLGS to run this as a demo event at the store. A couple of the owners may even be players. We're going to put it up on their website for a while first and build interest, then schedule it on a Saturday.
~Xar~

Braden Campbell

Good luck.

I'll laugh myself silly if everyone dies, 'cause that's what I was afraid of.
Braden, GMPhD

Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:Good luck.

I'll laugh myself silly if everyone dies, 'cause that's what I was afraid of.

I probably won't make your phase fusion block available to them, so that should alter events a bit.
~Xar~

Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

will do
~Xar~

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”