The Artifact

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

It was built by one of the Elder Races at the end of the last Galactic Era, when gods ruled the Three Galaxies. Then they all died in the War Against the Dominators.

Thus, anything from that time period is stupid-powerful (like the Dominators) and is thus so technologicaly far ahead of us Lesser Races, that any "rules" of the setting do not apply to it.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

darkmax wrote:
Braden, GMPhD wrote:It was built by one of the Elder Races at the end of the last Galactic Era, when gods ruled the Three Galaxies. Then they all died in the War Against the Dominators.

Thus, anything from that time period is stupid-powerful (like the Dominators) and is thus so technologicaly far ahead of us Lesser Races, that any "rules" of the setting do not apply to it.

HAHAHAHA.... nice one. Does that mean the tech level in the current 3G is so much lower than those who came before?

Imagine the human race is largely wiped out and it's technology reduced to stone age levels. It'd be a long slow recovery to our former glory. Now do this on a galactic scale.
Braden Campbell

darkmax wrote:
HAHAHAHA.... nice one. Does that mean the tech level in the current 3G is so much lower than those who came before?

Well... lets say that the Second Galactic Era (which only ended 50,000 years ago) was populated by races that arrived on the scene 5% before us. Given the age of galaxies, the elder Races would have then been 500 million years ahead of everyone currently living (excepting Promethians and the Star Elves, who arrived near the end of the Second Era).

So, the answer is yes.
Braden, GMPhD

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i always figured that the 3G's setting was like Babylon5, with multiple generations of intellegent races, and the older races 'shepherding' the younger ones.

like in B5, Terra was very new in the universe, and they fell under the nominal protection/guidance of the Centauri (who had been spacefaring for centuries), who considered the Mimbari an elder race, and then you had the Vorlon's guiding everyone.....and even they were considered young by some of the 'first ones' that came in to fight the shadows....ect.

a mix of old, new, and middle age. :)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

darkmax wrote:
Braden, GMPhD wrote:It was built by one of the Elder Races at the end of the last Galactic Era, when gods ruled the Three Galaxies. Then they all died in the War Against the Dominators.

basically.

lets see, the First had labratorys large enough to make a SUN in a test enviroment

exsactly what races exsisted after are unkown, however, considering the Dominators are an exsample of the kind of techonolgy that exsisted at the end of hte last era, one can only truely assume that godlike beings were relativly common.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Braden Campbell

glitterboy2098 wrote:i always figured that the 3G's setting was like Babylon5, with multiple generations of intellegent races, and the older races 'shepherding' the younger ones.

No. Every so often, the Three Galaxies empties itself of life and civilization to make way for the new.

Like a fire preparing the way for a new forest to grow.

We are currently living in the Third Galactic Era... which may be coming to a close as the Forge War draws neigh.
Braden, GMPhD

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

ah, like the Shadow/Vorlon war....... :wink:

"i was there, at the dawning of the third age of mankind....."

in that case, i might have something right up your alley....

Phase World: Armageddon

what can i say, i disliked how peaceful the canon was.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:i always figured that the 3G's setting was like Babylon5, with multiple generations of intellegent races, and the older races 'shepherding' the younger ones.

No. Every so often, the Three Galaxies empties itself of life and civilization to make way for the new.

We are currently living in the Third Galactic Era... which may be coming to a close as the Forge War draws neigh.

More likely the Minion War :demon: my friend....
ImageImage
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Carl Gleba wrote:
Braden, GMPhD wrote:

More likely the Minion War :demon: my friend....

So we keep hearing. :D
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Braden Campbell

Here is how I figure time is roughly broken up by the historians in the Three Galaxies (and this, in turn, is taken from the Star Elves and the Prometheans, who are the only known races to have lived through the last Era).

FIRST GALACTIC ERA
The universe is created.
The First rise to power.
The creation of the Cosmic Forge.
The downfall of the First.
First Galactic Era ends.

INTERIM - The Forge hides, and the universe restabilizes itself.

SECOND GALACTIC ERA
Rise of the Elder Races.
Rise of the Promethians.
Arrival of the Star Elves.
First apperance of the Lords Of Entropy.
The War Against the Dominators.
End of the Second Era.

INTERIM - during this time, the galaxies are populated by Splugorth and other monsters.

THIRD GALACTIC ERA
Rise of the Lesser Races (Kreeghor, Noro, Humans, ect).
Opening of Phase World to outsiders.
The monsterous races are largely driven out.
Rise of the Empires (CCW, TGE, Golgan, UWW).
The Forge War, and the return of the Lords of Entropy.
The Minion Wars.

End of the Third Era...?

There. Go nuts.
Braden, GMPhD

Braden Campbell

Probably because Tolkein, as a scholar of most major mythologies, discovered that everything tends to follow a common pattern in storytelling.

As it stands right now, the Phase World setting exists in a vaccum.... but give it some back story, and the possibilities for adventure open up.

And the Lords of Entropy...? They are from my game, but will be cannon if I can at all help it. Think of them as anti-CosmoKnights bent on finding the Cosmic Forge.
Braden, GMPhD

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

glitterboy2098 wrote:ah, like the Shadow/Vorlon war....... :wink:

"i was there, at the dawning of the third age of mankind....."

in that case, i might have something right up your alley....

Phase World: Armageddon

what can i say, i disliked how peaceful the canon was.

To each their own I guess :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

darkmax wrote:Phase World: Armaggedon sounds so.... corny...
HEYYYY!!!!!

I resemble that Remark!!!

:D
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”