Silverhawk disruptor

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Silverhawk disruptor

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

If I remember correctly, there was some feature of the Silverhawk PA that would locally disrupt force fields - it didn't last real long, but it was enough to get the Silverhawk through.

Had anybody else thought to rip that component out and strap it on a missle or two (we called 'em "Equalizers")? Have that disruptor on say one missle of a volley, and when it gets a certain distance from the target (which could be determined very easy by radar) it kicks on and then you have missles bypassing the force field - and blowing the crap out of the ship instead.

Unpleasant stuff for the bad guys...
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

millions of times.......

IIRC, the official errata states the disruptor system requires an entire melee in contact with the sheild. not much use to missiles.

now, depending on how you run the sheilds (EM, Gravitic, ect), there might be other methods.

missiles that ignore sheilds would be a tad unbalancing though.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

glitterboy2098 wrote:millions of times.......

IIRC, the official errata states the disruptor system requires an entire melee in contact with the sheild. not much use to missiles.

now, depending on how you run the sheilds (EM, Gravitic, ect), there might be other methods.

missiles that ignore sheilds would be a tad unbalancing though.

Just a tad? :)

Couldn't you technically just modify the Silverhawk into a missile carrying PA though? Not that many guys would want that duty - but there's boung to be a few nut bags in the CCW.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

The best use of the Silverhawk is as an elite Special Forces unit that goes in, completes an objective, and gets out without ever having been seen or detected. The idea of them careening headlong into starships during pitched battle is... well... kind of dumb.

They are Hienlen's Starship Troopers.

As for the ability of missiles to bypass shields... I say no.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Was this in a Rifter or something? I must have missed this one...
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

The Silverhawk is not just able to penetrate shields
but also a steatlh craft - ie able to close in a ship
undetected.

That said, they are - while an elite "class" in the CAF -
a frontline assault element of the armed forces.

They are more like marines or paratroopers (even
fighter pilots) than SEAL, SAS, Specnaz personell.

That means, in a good percentage of their sorties
they apply frontal assault (not that steatlh is not
handy in a space battle - they have a similar role
than submarines in WWII pacific battles).

But also, sometimes they are just standing on the
hull or flying in close formation with their mothership
and performing point defense.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Steve Dubya
Hero

Did anybody come up with where this might have come from, like actual source?

I'd kinda like to read it myself if I can...
Steve Dubya
Hero

Because if:
the disruptor system requires an entire melee in contact with the sheild. not much use to missiles

is merely a convenient house-rule, then I don't see any reason why you couldn't use the contraption to make wicked-killah missles.
Steve Dubya
Hero

'cos you will be targeted by the cosmo-knights and quite a few people in these boards

Why the CK's? Why is defeating FF's such a problem? It isn't as if the characters would be going around drowning puppies...
Steve Dubya
Hero

Most guys in this board are against genocide or overly unbalanced weapons

I don't know about the genocide part, but have you read Phase World and the following books? You call that stuff balanced??
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Steve Dubya
Hero

The Avenger PA. The Seljuk as a race. Phase technology. Naruni Repo-bots. Cosmo Knights. Balanced.

I suppose to the levels of power that are present in the Phase World setting, sure.

So how would missiles that could bypass FF's be any different? Keep in mind, it would be prohibitively expensive to throw one o' them units on each and every missle - at least, prohibitively expensive for something that won't be used ever again.
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Steve Dubya
Hero

There isn't a sure-fire way to defend against such a weapon, no conventional sensor can do it. Nor any anti-missile system can successfully destroy one.

In this case, isn't over-advantaged?

Not really - it would only work for certain against tech based force fields (or at least that is how I would interpret the way that it functions) - so anything magical/mystical/phase-ical it would be ineffective against.

Secondly, the things can't be cheap, otherwise why wouldn't EVERYONE be using them in their armors? Either the technology is very hush hush or prohibitively expensive to be used. Since I think that you can buy Silverhawks (or at least a price is listed for purchase) it would seem that it wouldn't be too hush hush...
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

You know wrote:
There isn't a sure-fire way to defend against such a weapon, no conventional sensor can do it. Nor any anti-missile system can successfully destroy one.

In this case, isn't over-advantaged?

Not really - it would only work for certain against tech based force fields (or at least that is how I would interpret the way that it functions) - so anything magical/mystical/phase-ical it would be ineffective against.

Secondly, the things can't be cheap, otherwise why wouldn't EVERYONE be using them in their armors? Either the technology is very hush hush or prohibitively expensive to be used. Since I think that you can buy Silverhawks (or at least a price is listed for purchase) it would seem that it wouldn't be too hush hush...

They'd be a lot cheaper than the rather large spaceships and crew they'd be killing with relative ease.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Steve Dubya
Hero

They'd be a lot cheaper than the rather large spaceships and crew they'd be killing with relative ease

I suppose that it all depends on the "relative ease" portion of the killin'. Sure, the FF provides an extra measure of protection, but the un-shielded ships usually aren't too shabby in the armor anyway (especially larger ships which are going to get pounded on anyway in large space battles).

In any event, I still don't see what it wouldn't work given the rules provided. Unbalancing? Maybe. But so is a human-sized PC that can square off unaided against a battleship <cough - Cosmo Knight!>...
Marrowlight
Knight

You know wrote:
They'd be a lot cheaper than the rather large spaceships and crew they'd be killing with relative ease

I suppose that it all depends on the "relative ease" portion of the killin'. Sure, the FF provides an extra measure of protection, but the un-shielded ships usually aren't too shabby in the armor anyway (especially larger ships which are going to get pounded on anyway in large space battles).

In any event, I still don't see what it wouldn't work given the rules provided. Unbalancing? Maybe. But so is a human-sized PC that can square off unaided against a battleship <cough - Cosmo Knight!>...

Just because there's one unbalancing element doesn't mean there should automatically be more though. You only get one queen in chess after all.

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

The Shadow Veritechs have a destabilizer that puts holes in the shields of the Invid for a few moments. I can't remember if it'll work against other types of shields though. :(

Do variable frequency lasers work against shields like they do with Glitterboys?
Steve Dubya
Hero

Just because there's one unbalancing element doesn't mean there should automatically be more though. You only get one queen in chess after all.

Sure, at the START of the game - it is up to you the player to get you some more (through the judicious use of pawns...). Which is a very good anaolgy for a FF defeating missle, really...

if you were to require your character to stop the phase missiles, what would you have them do?

If it were something like a PHASE missile, I believe that any FF would stop it (or at least impede it from going any farther, but it has been awhile since i really looked at any of the phase "tech," so this is just a guess).

As for the FF "bypassing" missle, standard missile defense railguns and counter-missles could be very easily deployed.

You have to figure that you aren't going to get very many "free" hits with this sort of strategy - at the very most, you are going to get attention diverted to a more defensive strategy on your opponents behalf and they are going to take more care in trying to intercept said missles.

Do variable frequency lasers work against shields like they do with Glitterboys?

Huh. Never though of that one. I'm sure that something along those lines might be possible (like perhaps a variable-wavelength particle beam cannon ot something...).
Steve Dubya
Hero

Again, I though that all phase stuff was effectively "stopped" by FFs. Like, if you had a phase sword and swung at someone just wearing armor, it would go through the armor an hit the squishy inside. But if said squishy had a FF instead, the phase sword would do damage to the FF - it wouldn't be able to bypass it.

Am I remembering the rules on how this works incorrectly?
The Beast

You know wrote:

Huh. Never though of that one. I'm sure that something along those lines might be possible (like perhaps a variable-wavelength particle beam cannon ot something...).

Well if they did, then you could adjust the energy field of the proton torpedos from....(crap, brain fart)... either the Robotech series or Phase World (I'm not sure where I saw them) to match the shield frequency. This wouldn't last long though, the Op4 would begin rotating the shield frequency as soon as they figured out what you're doing. It's best to have the VFLs as a SDC weapon, it won't cause any damage, thereby delaying shield rotation until your torpedos pass through the shields and hit the ship itself.
The Beast

darkmax wrote:
You know wrote:Again, I though that all phase stuff was effectively "stopped" by FFs. Like, if you had a phase sword and swung at someone just wearing armor, it would go through the armor an hit the squishy inside. But if said squishy had a FF instead, the phase sword would do damage to the FF - it wouldn't be able to bypass it.

Am I remembering the rules on how this works incorrectly?

No... there is an example of the description of a phase cannon in one of the Phase World book. Sorry, I cannot pinpoint the exact pages and book for you. Too lazy to.

RDB:2, page 122: Phase beamers are stopped by normal force fields, phase-fields, and magic barriers.

I believe the same applies to the phase sword as well. The only other Phase World book I have is the first sourcebook, and I don't recall anything condradicting this rule.
The Beast

You know wrote:Did anybody come up with where this might have come from, like actual source?

I'd kinda like to read it myself if I can...

So is there a link to this or not? :?
The Beast

darkmax wrote:
MaddogMatarese wrote:RDB:2, page 122: Phase beamers are stopped by normal force fields, phase-fields, and magic barriers.

I believe the same applies to the phase sword as well. The only other Phase World book I have is the first sourcebook, and I don't recall anything condradicting this rule.

I remebered somewhere it was stated that a Phased cannon can bypass shields to kill the occupants of a vessels, leaving the ship intact.

Or did I mised this up with a thread here?

I think you're confusing it with something else. Space pirates love these weapons for that reason alone, but they still need to bring down the shields first.
Steve Dubya
Hero

On a side note, Phase beams of all types DO directly kill the occupants of Intruder vessel, bypassing the substance of the solid energy walls of the ships

I am going to assume that this is talking about a book that I don't have, because I can't recall any instance of an "Intruder" vessel. But different.

"That magic wand looks suspiciously like a fleshlight"

Please, please PLEASE let that be a typo - otherwise, ewwwww...
Steve Dubya
Hero

In any event, it doesn't APPEAR that my initial premise was incorrect - unless someone knows where the "full melee round proximity" might be found as official.

Unbalancing? Maybe. I like to think of it as inventive - if they didn't want stuff to bypass FF's, they shouldn't have made it canon in the first place...
Steve Dubya
Hero

The Intruders are in the Phase World sourcebook.

Ohhhhhhh... I dimly remember this now. We never even thought of using it because it just didn't seem to be that good of an idea. But now I know what you are talking about.

Very strange.
Steve Dubya
Hero

Was the "Intruder threat" ever embellished upon in the rest of the Phase Worldish stuff, or was it just sort of abandoned in that book?
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Silverhawk FF bypass:
While it seems to be a very powerfull tool for an already stealth
PA, but... But please check out shield descriptions, at NE sections.

It says, that shields can be penetrated by slow moving objects.
(A tribute to Frank Herbert).

Therefore this device only spare an action or two for the PA pilot,
(althought those seconds seem to last forever, where a couple
of point defense canons are locked on your PA) and it looks like
that other PA's can also penetrate shields.

As for FF penetrating missiles...

Sure, they seem to be powerfull. But those devices probably cost
like half a million to produce, and in the Three Galaxies (where
48 LRMs weight one ton)... how much the device (and its power
supply) weights? Like 10 kg? Mounting it on an LRM means effectively
no warhead.
Cruise missile are probably bigger, guessimated to weight around half
a ton (four LRMs as warhead and another half of the missile is propulsion
and sensors), but it also decreases warhead weight by - cca. - 10-20%.

Now, since capital ships carry at least 60% of their MDC in
armor (the rest are shields and finally "internal structures"),
the gain from a military viewpoint is marginal.

DMB6 lists the heavy AM crM at 580K, and the singularity missile
is close to the million.
A quick quessimation resulted that overall effectivity gain ranges
from 151% (best case) to 104%, depending on warhead effectivity
loss and ship type.
Price tag is doubled.

Given the usual wievpoint of the Three Galaxies (they do not
use newer vessels, since older ones do almost the same job,
but for considerably lesser amount of money/resources), shield
penetrating missiles aren't going to be used.

And it is the case, when missiles simply pass the FF, without
interaction. Now, if they have to hover before the FF for a couple
of seconds (1 action), their effective hit ratio will drop significantly
(the point defense will have another chance).

----------------
What I wonder, is that why the missiles are this small?

Take an old starfighter, rip off the life support, most of the weapons,
tinker with the engines (to go with 20M and let them burn out after it),
and pack like 2 or 3 tons of explosives into it. Better yet, put in a
ton of K-Hex, and weld on an extra 2 tons of armor - just to make
a favor for point defense....

Of course, this torpedo (tribute to Whitehead and Lupis) is only
viable against cruisers and up... But hey... Spending like 100
million to take out a 3 billion credit ship is a good trade IMO.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Steve Dubya
Hero

See, this is the sort of stuff that I can't talk about owing to a lack of access to the books.

Would I think that this sort of idea would be heavily utilized by militaries? No. To expensive. However, for the discriminating (and cahsflow heavy) adventurers, this makes a very sound investment - gives the baddies something to think about while you figure a way to high-tail it out of the area...
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

OK, I read the description of the FF disrupter and don't see anything indicating that it takes an entire round to punch a hole.

Rate of fire is given as one pulse per melee round, and it states that the hole is only open for 3 seconds, but thats it. nothing saying the pilot has to linger for a whole round for it to take effect.

Given the short range (20 feet) I would think that they would mention if it took that long.

Seems like putting disrupters in missiles would be a valid tactic, and as you say, it would be expensive enough that it wouldn't be very unbalancing.

Tech changes, and tactics have to change along with it. There's no reason to assume that there aren't people in the phase world setting working on things like this along with other innovations in warfare.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Steve Dubya
Hero

Kalinda wrote:OK, I read the description of the FF disrupter and don't see anything indicating that it takes an entire round to punch a hole.

Rate of fire is given as one pulse per melee round, and it states that the hole is only open for 3 seconds, but thats it. nothing saying the pilot has to linger for a whole round for it to take effect.

Given the short range (20 feet) I would think that they would mention if it took that long.

Seems like putting disrupters in missiles would be a valid tactic, and as you say, it would be expensive enough that it wouldn't be very unbalancing.

Tech changes, and tactics have to change along with it. There's no reason to assume that there aren't people in the phase world setting working on things like this along with other innovations in warfare.

This is what I remembered it saying (which is why I was very confused about the whole round business that I am now thinking someone just made up or misremembered).

Thanks for the assistance.
The Beast

I just read up on the EU-13 from Robotech. It states that it works against Invid shields, but doesn't say about any other. However, the EU-12 does state that it's just as effective against Zentradi shields. I don't see why the EU-13 would be any different from the EU-12 in that respect. The question now is "Will they work against shields from the 3 Galaxies?" I believe they would, but not having seen the series to know how they work I can't explain why. :oops: If anyone knows how they work, please tell.
If they do work, outfit your ships with enough of those guns to take an entire side of a starship's shields down, then blast the target with phase cannons. :twisted:
The Beast

darkmax wrote:okay.... FF work based on frequency right? If the missile, PA or torpedo can match that frequency, wouldn't it be able to pass through easily?

This is the way I understand how weapons on a vessel fire out of its own shields while other weapons can't get in. It would also explain the fact that most of the carriers can launch smaller assault vessels and PA while the shields are up. They have the same frequency or they have a signal that allows them to pass through the shields.

Am I wrong?

Makes sense to me.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”