FWC and Naruni...

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

FWC and Naruni...

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

I just realized the other day that all Freedom Fighter OCCs (for the Free Worlds Council) start with a NE Plasma cartridge rifle! Every single one of them!

So... someone, either the CCW or Naruni, has made sure that a crapload of cutting-edge hardware has gone to a motley band of rebels who may or may not eventually form a stable planetary collective.

If it's the CCW, then its like the Iran/Contra thing all over again. If it's NE, then they are taking a real gamble on getting their money back at some point.

Just thought it was interesting, and the threads on this board were getting old. ;)
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Braden Campbell

It's just that I got into it once on the boards about NE supplying Tolkeen after it had been defeated... when it was nothing but rebel fighters living in the rubble. My big question was: how could they possibly expect to recoup the cost of the guns?

But, as was pointed out in that thread, America sells guns to all kinds of 3rd world countries, not to mention "freedom fighters".

it just seems an odd clientele for a Conglomerate like Naruni.
Braden, GMPhD

Braden Campbell

I do, absolutely (as someone who needs to find $150 to buy Microsoft Word).

But if it is Naruni supplying the rebels - I'm inclined to think that it's the CCW via the GSA - how do they pay for it? Do they rob TGE banks in "liberating" the people, or what?
Braden, GMPhD

KLM
Knight

Re: FWC and Naruni...

Unread post by KLM »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:I just realized the other day that all Freedom Fighter OCCs (for the Free Worlds Council) start with a NE Plasma cartridge rifle! Every single one of them!

So... someone, either the CCW or Naruni, has made sure that a crapload of cutting-edge hardware has gone to a motley band of rebels who may or may not eventually form a stable planetary collective.

Actually, the FWC is in their "second generation" , as the original rebellion
was about a hundred years ago.
So, they are quite stable IMO.

If it's the CCW, then its like the Iran/Contra thing all over again. If it's NE, then they are taking a real gamble on getting their money back at some point.

Actually, FWC uses NE harware, Proctors (CAF/CCW), Draygon fighters
etc. Probably they turned their economy on warfare (while the TGE
still spends less percentage of its budget to military purposes than
the US - I quess), plus they might receive donation from CCW (both
the goverment, and both from human, wolfen, etc faction), support
from CKs, a Splugorth credit or two.... And maybe they make money
like many terrorist/freedom fighter (perspective, you know) organisations:
crime, like drugs and forging money.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

One other thing, the FWC is probably the best people to go to if you want to dump some stolen equipment. FWC is always eager to increase their military might, and anyone with hot items sure would like a convient place/person/organisation that won't ask questions and will have a convient alibi("You want the serial number for a squadron of broadswords you say? Well we had some but they were destroyed in one of our many battles for freedom").
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
Braden Campbell

#19...

Cool! You can read my winning entry.
Braden, GMPhD

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:I just realized the other day that all Freedom Fighter OCCs (for the Free Worlds Council) start with a NE Plasma cartridge rifle! Every single one of them!

The Hartigal Combine :)

the failed naruni experiment turned main competitor.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Braden Campbell

Yeah, actually. It could be fairly recently that Freedom fighters have been getting this gun as a standard piece of equipment.

So it could be Hartigal.

Still....that's a lotof guns....
Braden, GMPhD

Braden Campbell

Chi-Town house of cards.

My name is mis-spelled as "Barden".
Braden, GMPhD

Braden Campbell

I can't help but get the feeling that the Rebellion began with great strides, but faltered quickly into stalemate. A prime example is Axis-5: the battle there began 25 years into the revolution, and has gone nowhere since. Is it a coincidence that Michael Klass was killed 5 years into the fight for the planet?

Also, the Rebellion originally began with disgruntled TGE Legionnaires... but has since degenerated into "freedom fighters" slugging it out. Makes me think all the trained soldiers got killed before they could really train any replacements (maybe on Axis-5 ?).

So whomever the supplier of the cartridge guns is (CCW, NE, or Hartigal) must be trying to break the stalemate.

Maybe...?
Braden, GMPhD

Braden Campbell

Original Phase World book, under the Freedom Fighter OCC...

in their list of starting equipment, they specifically get a Naruni plasma cartridge gun.
Braden, GMPhD

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Just thought it was interesting, and the threads on this board were getting old. ;)

I like the Iran Contra scheme for the CCW it would make great fertile ground for a campaign
Braden Campbell

So the CCW is re-selling Naruni guns to the Free Worlds Council, and funneling the profits from those sales to... where?
Braden, GMPhD

Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

The development and production of CCW dreadnoughts :D
Braden Campbell

Greyaxe wrote:The development and production of CCW dreadnoughts :D

Could be. Those Emancipation-class ships are pricey.
Braden, GMPhD

Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

darkmax wrote:Ahh!! A very wise real world solution. This is exactly what the US and other more advanced countries are doing, selling their old and used stuffs to thrid world countries.

Getting rid of old stuffs but not losing the entire cost. Then buy newer weapons to play with.

Some of you may not like the idea, but it is very real.

War has always been good for business.
Braden Campbell

Which is what two-thirds of the CCW are currently in (the Anvil notwithstanding).

I'm going to go with the "CCW selling off secondhand NE guns to the rebels" line. I always like to have my games immitate something in real life: it makes the setting that more real for me to believe in.

That, and for some reason, although I loved the humans in Rifts and cheered them on constantly, I find myself hating humans in the Three Galaxies and making them all evil, scheming pricks.
Braden, GMPhD

Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

My next character will be a human in your honour. lol Actually my next character is a human CK. looking forward to breaking him in.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”