NIGHTBANE - the movie

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What do you think about a NightBane-movie?

YES! That would totally rock!!!
52%
Hmmm - I don't know ...
24%
NO! That would be a complete waste of money!!!
24%

Total votes: 92

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Stattick
Adventurer

Unread post by Stattick »

Well, you'd need awsome choreography because of the Nightbane having the equivalent of "martial arts". That usually looks pretty phony looking in cgi, although they did pretty decent in the Matrix trilogy. Not so good in the Star Wars prequel trilogy (especially w/ Yoda the flying green snotball). So I'd say that you'd need good action stars, production company, and directors w/ experience making martial arts movies. Maybe the guys that made The Matrix, or the guys that made "The Transporter".

If not for the need for good action, I'd think that Tim Burton would be an ideal pick for director - I think he could nail the dark atmosphere perfectly.

For possible actors playing 'banes, I'b be thinking:
Christian Bale, Milla Jovovich, Tobey Maguire, or Orlando Bloom. Maybe Vin Diesel, Keanu Reeves, Bruce Willis, or Liam Neeson. I'm sure that there's alot of other choices that I didn't think about. I'm trying to think of people that can do the action AND act.

For writers, I dunno. I never really pay attention to who-wrote-what in hollywood. But I think that someone from palladium would need to work w/ the writers to keep the writing legit and true - probably CJ.

I think that it could be done well and make a ton of money. However, the writing would have to be superb. The problem that I see, is that there's alot of unaswered questions, and no conclusion to the invasion in the books, and that often doesn't translate well in the movies.

It would also be important to show that the 'banes could be hurt and killed - if the heroes seem impervious then the movie gets boring (I yawned my way through hellboy - i just didn't care, because it was obvious that nothing could hurt him.) Maybe toward the beginning of the movie, they should show a bane being overwhelmed by hounds and getting killed.

I think the best place to begin a movie would be on dark day. That way the audience can learn what's going on along w/ the main characters.
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Autumns Fire wrote:David Carraadine (Kung-Fu), would make a good mentor character. But maybe, that's been overdone?

I think the guy who played the Brujah Premogen in Kindred: The Embraced (for anyone who may be familiar, I can't remember his name), would make a good Night Lord.
Brian Thompson?
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I'd be interested in a movie inspired by Nightbane.
I don't know if I'd be interested in seeing the Nightbane story played out on-screen, especially since I doubt the story would survive the craptacular re-writes of Hollywood.

I'd be just as interested in a sequel to Nightbreed, and use that as source material for my Nightbane campaigns.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

udgang99 wrote:I have no idea what the Kindred is, or who Brian Thompson is... but I googled it, and found this guy, who looks pretty nasty...

http://home.inreach.com/songbird/jk_stu ... edfull.jpg

... is that the guy?

Kindred: The Embraced was a short-lived TV series on Fox back in '96 or '97, based on White Wolf's Vampire: The Masquerade game. Low ratings and the death of its male lead kept the series at a measly eight episodes, so it was easy to miss.

Brian Thompson is a character actor who has appeared in dozens of movies and TV shows in the last decade, but is probably best known for his role as the alien enforcer in the X-Files. For pic and filmography, see: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0859921/

The image posted above is in fact Jeff Kober, whose career has followed a similar path of appearances in movies and TV, oft-remembered for his face but rarely his name: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0462116/
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

Forget a movie....I'm holding out for an animated series. Get Gonzo (the studio behind Last Exile) to do the animation, Keith David (I don't care what character, just get him because he has the voice of Gawd), Scott MacNeill, Mark Hamill, Venus Terzo, and some other good voice actors (and drawing and quartering Jim Cummings just to make sure he doesn't get anywhere near it), and I'll need a change of pants.

Not like that will happen, of course.
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

No, no, no, no, no. Do you have any idea how much they'd have to sanitize to get a greenlight? Seriously, picture a leatherboy with stigmata and visible organ pulsing and dripping blood. Never see it.
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

On the contrary. Have you seen some of the things airing on Adult Swim these days? A Nightbane series would fit right in without "sanitizing".
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Nightbane movie ??

NIGHTBREED
aka Cabal By Clive Barker was what inspired CJ in the first place.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Beelzebozo wrote:On the contrary. Have you seen some of the things airing on Adult Swim these days? A Nightbane series would fit right in without "sanitizing".
Would they be adding a fast food monster morphus table? :)

EDIT: Seriously though, An Adult Swim series, or if Sci Fi decided to do a "Secret Stash" type thing. If not, then there's always HBO or direct DVD
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Watch the night breed and see how close it is too nightbane without night lords.
Stattick
Adventurer

Unread post by Stattick »

Nerdbane wrote:I gotta say, I Netflixed that movie because it came up on this board at some point, and I was underwhelmed. I'd like to believe the book has some merit - the movie was just a mess, IMHO. I understand how seeing that movie might spark an idea that eventually became the original Nightspawn game, but I also think there is a vast gulf of evolution between the two. Thank goodness.

da Nerdbane

In my experience, alot of Clive Barker's stuff just didn't translate well into film. I don't know if this was do to the novels themselves, or because of the directors and writers.

I have really enjoyed everything that I've read that Barker has written. I also liked the hellraiser movies that I've seen, but he wrote those originally as screenplays, so it's not surprising that they were a cut above his novels that have been translated to movies. The one thing that I've found in most of his novels that I didn't really care for were the homoerotic themes. This shouldn't be too surprising, as Barker is gay - I wouldn't have minded so much if the themes added something to the story, but I didn't think they did.

Overall, I like Clive's stuff WAY better the Stephen King's. I'd like to think that the original book was better then the Nightbreed movie, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. One of these days...
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

TechnoGothic wrote:Nightbane movie ??

NIGHTBREED
aka Cabal By Clive Barker was what inspired CJ in the first place.

Thank God somebody mentioned it. I'd have lost all faith in Nightbane fans if nobody'd noticed by now :)
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Stattick wrote:In my experience, alot of Clive Barker's stuff just didn't translate well into film. I don't know if this was do to the novels themselves, or because of the directors and writers.

The novels. The average Clive Barker novel is neck-deep in hot mystical sex rituals, chicks who dig anal, and steamy gay love scenes (occasionally steamy lesbian love scenes too, but not often). For some reason I doubt many producers eyeing up Clive Barker's work are ever gonna bring those concepts across to film adaptations of his novels :)
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

After watching Night Watch, I felt that it would be easily contained in either Nightbane or a Nightbane/HU type of game. In either case, I'd say Night Watch (and it's sequals due out over the next few years) should be good 'complementary' films as well.
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

Night Watch is a trilogy. The first one is Night Watch (In Russia and US now), the second is Day Watch (in Russia now, US soon), the third one has not/is being made now. Not sure about it's title.

From what I've read, Day Watch seems to kick up the action a bit more.
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

docholliday wrote:ghostrider will be out next summer I believe

Actually, it was SUPPOSED to be out last month. However, it had been pushed back to February of next year. :x Much like Ysbadden, I am a big GR fan, and can't WAIT for this movie (the trailers are AWESOME :shock: ).
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I would rather see Nightbane as an HBO Series like Carnivale. I think the concept has some great emotional drama that is generally forgotten in the superhero martial arts focus on kewl powers. I think the series could do some great examination into "What is human?" and what fear does to mankind's willingness to accept atrocities and trade freedom for false security.
Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

I don't care how they would do it, but golly gee willickers, I would love to see a nightbane movie.
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.

Return to “Nightbane®”