Mystic Martial Arts question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Mystic Martial Arts question

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Shadow_otm wrote:I don't think any class in China 2 can get Hsien Hsia Kung Fu (Immortality Training). Can anyone confirm this and is it a mistake or intended?

intended, That and enlightened immortals are listed as being in the upcoming China 3
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by llywelyn »

Shadow_otm wrote:I don't think any class in China 2 can get Hsien Hsia Kung Fu (Immortality Training). Can anyone confirm this and is it a mistake or intended?
It's available to the Immortalist OCC in N&S Mystic China.

Open via Rift & convert.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

llywelyn wrote:
It's available to the Immortalist OCC in N&S Mystic China.

Open via Rift & convert.

However, the two MAF styles of application are too different to be intermingled.

Where the Rifts china MAF are basically half forms. With one half being a physical form and the other a magical form.

And the N&S style is for both being the physical and chi powers being available in the same form. (yes I know some MAF do not give chi powers and some do not give physical fighting, but as a Whole they Style gives both.)

The RChina forms are so freakishly different from the N&S in their underlying premises that the N&S MAF are not "convertible."
So whoever wants to use the N&S forms that char has to be made out of the N&S &/or MC (&/or rifters w/MAF) books.
OR
Be made a HU/ATB char that has access to the N&S/MC MAF as per the conversions in the back of the N&S book.

Yes, this would mean that you would have to learn how the original chi powers work. But expanding your mind is a good thing. (So long as you do not forget where you started.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:However, the two MAF styles of application are too different to be intermingled.
Huh?

Where did that come from?

The Rifts China books make some edits, including converting Chi wholesale into PPE, but they are not anything like a thing apart. Moreover, my guidance was to make it in Mystic China and convert it (Conversion Book, p. 49).

When they get around to statting up the Celestial Court and the Taoist Immortals for Rifts' China, they should include an updated immortalist OCC that if anything will be overpowered compared to the earlier model. It was probably an oversight that the skill was left in the book when they removed some of the mystical stuff in favor of the "Geofront" plotline (who are cool, but hardly Heroes of the Celestial Court).
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

llywelyn wrote:The Rifts China books make some edits, including converting Chi wholesale into PPE, but they are not anything like a thing apart. Moreover, my guidance was to make it in Mystic China and convert it (Conversion Book, p. 49).

It converted Chi into ISP btw. As a side note.

Also, careful with asking the Immortalist OCC to be OP compared to original version. The original version isn't crazy strong because the whole point of it is that you're playing a "long game" by learning it, as you're guaranteed (provided you don't die young first) to achieve Enlightened Immortality, which is one of the (single) most brokenly OP things that can happen to a normal mortal character in all of Palladium published works.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

llywelyn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:However, the two MAF styles of application are too different to be intermingled.
Huh?

Where did that come from?

The Rifts China books make some edits, including converting Chi wholesale into PPE, but they are not anything like a thing apart. Moreover, my guidance was to make it in Mystic China and convert it (Conversion Book, p. 49).

When they get around to statting up the Celestial Court and the Taoist Immortals for Rifts' China, they should include an updated immortalist OCC that if anything will be overpowered compared to the earlier model. It was probably an oversight that the skill was left in the book when they removed some of the mystical stuff in favor of the "Geofront" plot line (who are cool, but hardly Heroes of the Celestial Court).

The MAF in Rifts China have had significant Structural Changes Made from the N&S MAF. (Yes, the changing of the powers from using chi to using PPE and/or ISP is One of those significant structural changes.) Therefore there is No ability to convert the N&S MAF to Rifts China format. You would have to take the basic concepts of the N&S MAF and rewrite the MAF in the Rifts China form. No rewriting is not converting, it is rewriting.

And have you notices how the R'China MAF were stupefied? Compared to the N&S MAF they are down right ridged.

Page 49 RBC1
Those are the conversion for the N&S MAF in Normal Rifts for N&S chars that get rifted to rifts earth.

Note: I stated which rifts conversion book I was referencing. There are four of them.
RCB1, RCB1r, RCB2, RDC
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

Re:

Darkmax wrote:"Hsien Hsia" = Fairy Hue.
If you know what they're talking about, what are the characters (汉字)?

Seems to have been made up just for the book.
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

Crazy Lou wrote:It converted Chi into ISP btw. As a side note.
Sry.

You're right that that's what the book said. Aside from personal dislike of ISP in favor of PPE (I see the martial arts effects as magic, not psionics), the fact that it then went on to make dragon tracks and geomantic flows ISP was just crazy in contradiction to what both ley lines and ISP actually are.

As for being overpowered, even the original made it pretty clear that actually achieving enlightenment should be accepted as auto-NPCing the character.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Re:

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

llywelyn wrote:
Darkmax wrote:"Hsien Hsia" = Fairy Hue.
If you know what they're talking about, what are the characters (汉字)?

Seems to have been made up just for the book.

simplified Chinese 夏贤 traditional Chinese 夏賢 supposed to be spelled in english Xian Xia

Hsien
this is where the fairy part came from though
hsia
but this one is confusing
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Re:

I'm not sure where that came from but I don't think it could possibly be right. 贤夏 (xiánxià) would be "virtuous summer" (and only that).

The "Hsien" is almost certainly 仙 (xiān, "immortal" and not "fairy") but I still have no idea about the other one.

Return to “Rifts®”