Palladins Standard or Palladin of Rurga

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prefered Palladin

Standard Palladium Palladin
48%
Palladin of Rurga
52%

Total votes: 25

Amberjack
Explorer

Palladins Standard or Palladin of Rurga

Unread post by Amberjack »

Which type of Palladin do you prefer?
I myself have had a distinct leaning toward the paaladins of Rurga , they were published , how about everyone else.
Last edited by Amberjack on Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

With only those two choices, assuming Palladins of Rurga are empowered by their god (never did give Eastern Territories the deep read it deserved) I'll go with that option.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Amberjack
Explorer

Unread post by Amberjack »

Also, does anyone else think there need to be more Pantheon specific Palladin orders
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Amberjack wrote:Also, does anyone else think there need to be more Pantheon specific Palladin orders

Indeed.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

I said standard paladin.

Yin Sloth has the Holy Crusader. The main book has priests. 2E has warrior monks.

Either of those could fill the role. 1E priests had the potential to be heavy in the combat scene. Not so sure about 2E as I have not read it that close.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Standard.

A lot of folks like to interpret "Palladin" to be "Holy Crusader," but they are different classes. Palladins in Palladium are not church or faith powered warriors like they are in D&D or many other games, they're just the best of the best when it comes to killing stuff.

Something like the Palladins of Rurga are examples of people who are Palladins and who also are devoted to Rurga. They are Palladins without their goddess, but gain additional powers from their devotion to her.

Seriously, go read the Palladin description - nowhere does it say they have anything to do with the gods. The Demon Death Blow is a focusing of inner spirit, not external power. Their skill is from years of practice. Indeed, there are orders of Palladins that follow various gods, but not all Palladins are members of a religious order, or even religious at all.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Marrowlight
Knight

J. Lionheart wrote:Standard.

A lot of folks like to interpret "Palladin" to be "Holy Crusader," but they are different classes. Palladins in Palladium are not church or faith powered warriors like they are in D&D or many other games, they're just the best of the best when it comes to killing stuff.

Something like the Palladins of Rurga are examples of people who are Palladins and who also are devoted to Rurga. They are Palladins without their goddess, but gain additional powers from their devotion to her.

Seriously, go read the Palladin description - nowhere does it say they have anything to do with the gods. The Demon Death Blow is a focusing of inner spirit, not external power. Their skill is from years of practice. Indeed, there are orders of Palladins that follow various gods, but not all Palladins are members of a religious order, or even religious at all.

I don't think most of us are trying to contradict what Palladium says a Palladin is, just saying what we'd like them to be.

We have Knights for an Elite. I really don't want an Elite of the Elite, not as an open class anyway.

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I never much liked the palladin class to begin with. Any time Palladium publishes an OCC that is "Like this other OCC... but better in every way!" I get annoyed.

I tend to play up the holy-warrior or anti-demon approach to the Palladin, while the knight is more of a mounted warrior and noble. In my games, the palladin is a martial noble OCC that dedicates himself to a crusade for a religious or anti-supernatural cause, while the knight OCC is a martial noble OCC that tends to be more focused on politics, power, vassalage, and warfare. They have similar training in weapons and armor, but the knight specializes in mounted warfare while the palladin specializes in anti-demon warfare. This leaves some overlap but allows for a more meaningful selection between the two.

I generally switch the horsemanship skills for the two OCCs while keeping the hand-to-hand the same. Knights are better at mounted combat because horses tend to spook while fighting the supernatural. Palladins have horsemanship: knight (Which is more of a horsemanship: Noble in my games). Depending more on their dismounted abilities, palladins are more physical than knights, so they get a wider selection of physical skills. Knights, however, can take W.P. Siege Weapons, while palladins cannot. I also equalize the bonuses for the two classes, unless it makes sense for one class to have an advantage (palladins have a higher bonuses to demon and moster lore and recognize enchantment, knights have higher bonuses to dance, public speaking, and heraldry).

I guess I don't really have an answer to the poll. I like that the Palladin of Rurga has a pronounced emphasis that is distinct, but I think that the palladin class in general is fundamentally flawed.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Natasha

Unread post by Natasha »

I said standard because it's all I ever seen played. And they were so much fun.
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

Standard.

I think that the character classes which receive powers from their gods are Priests. Exclusively.

Palladins dedicate themselves to gods or pantheons, to kings, to a philosphy.

Palladins are the Code of Chivalry in the flesh; and the Code is their ultimate loyalty. Whatever they pledge allegiance to cannot contradict the Code of Chivalry.

I do not think Palladins are Knights-just-better (just like Knights are not Soldiers-just-better). It's a whole different character class, a whole different role.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Personally, I would prefer for Knights to have the superior horsemanship and lance skills, with Palladins having their special demon-fighting abilities.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

I open W.P. Lance up to any character with a Horsemanship skill. Knights and Palladins are better with a lance since it's built into their way of life. In that way Knights have superior horsemanship and lance skills, except to Palladins. Palladins are the best melee fighters in the game, so I let them keep their horsemanship and lance skills separate from Knights'; it reflects their dedication that separates the two character classes. If Knights are elite, Palladins are cream of the crop.

I play First Edition primarily and if I would play Second Edition, I don't think the Demon Death Blow thing is a good idea. I'd probably kick it out, just like I'd kick out the Long bowman's ability to parry incoming arrows :?
NovenTheHero
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by NovenTheHero »

I chose the standard Palladin since they are more felxable as a character since they are not bound by the same strict rules as the Palladin of Rurga. I have played both, and while the Rurga one is nice, the standard was more enjoyable for me.
My Forums
Image Image
My 5 gallon batch of Traditional Mead and my 5 1 gallon batches of Melomel (Blueberry, Strawberry, Peach, Stawberry-Peach, and Mixed Berry)
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

I agree.

Though Rurga has the better avatar ;)
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

jeronimo wrote:
MrGiggles wrote:-->snip
Holy Paladins are all well and good, and I've very little issue with players running them so long as they're plausible and they take care to follow the tenants of their gawd. All things being equal, I would really have rather seen a general framework for a Holy Paladin of <Insert Gawd Here> than the Holy Paladin of Rurga. Couple that with a list of which Gawds actually have Holy Paladins (because let's face it, some just aren't interested) and a few suggested gifts. In effect, it would present the Holy Paladin of Rurga as more of an example.

BTW, but i just noticed - this is HackMaster-slang. Are you playing that game too?

I've seen around in places that probably never heard of RPG.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”