Techno Can

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

vindicator

Unread post by vindicator »

I tend to picture Techno-Can as the evolution of leetspeak.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Yes, you do.

Otherwise your post-apocalyptic Operator, when he reads an old tech manual, will have no clue what a 28 peta-FLOP, 10 Terrabyte CPU with 500 gigs RAM, blu-ray reader, remote access function, blu-tooth, 64-bit encrypted, USB2, LAN is.

Or some such...
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Techno Can

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Aigol wrote:Since Techno Can is not a spoken language do you need Speak language and literacy to use it

Nope. Just Literacy.

If you don't believe me you can gosub 400. :D
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

True, but Techno-can would be a derivitive of English and would consists primarily of acronyms and verbal shorthand. For all intents and purposes, having literacy is all that is needed.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I would say Techno-can is a fusion of leet and programmign language, both of which have some basis in english.

Techno-can is not typically spoken, except amoung certain "elite" hackers.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Techno Can

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

WonderingMind wrote:Methinks that Tinker is not correct in this instance. I can SAY "gosub 400". Logic would dictate that if Techno Can is a written language and you are proficient in it you could then speak it.

Logic might, but the book does not. :p

As of RUE, Techno-Can is an unspoken language. It is based on English, but it is used exclusively for technical documents and computer programming.

It is an interesting argument, if you can read a language you will usually be able to speak it. We as mostly sapient life forms cannot avoid verbalizing. It is just how we are built. On the flip side if we don’t have a word for it we can’t think about it… (If you don’t believe me just try it)

One can read computer languages such as COBOL, Java, and C++ that use English words, but it's impossible to converse in these languages. Unlike the spoken word, these languages do not use words and symbols to represent concepts, they use words and symbols to represent binary instructions. They are completely meaningless when verbalized.

Personally, I liked it better the old way. I used to imagine Techno-Can as an evolution of BASIC that could be easily spoken and understood by machines and people alike. :)
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'm going to go completely counter... you need to be able to speak it, but no literacy skill. In fact, you do not need a literacy skill for Spanish if you have one for English, nor for French.

You already know the alphabet, and the sounds that are made by the various letters. It's not like the Acadamie Francais has survived Ragnarok to correct your spelling of jes nais se quois.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Where does it say it's not a spoken language?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Pax Concord
D-Bee

Unread post by Pax Concord »

There are plenty of dead languages known to archaeologists which they can read and write, but have no idea how to speak. Just saying that a non-verbalized techno-can is hardly without precedant in the world.
-Pax
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

It may still be considered to be a perfectly acceptible spoken language... if you are having a conversation with ARCHIE 3.

Return to “Rifts®”