Magic Genius

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Lores can be secondary skills, so if you can find a teacher (and you can stretch it), make your guy a godling who has studied, taught all sorts of secondary skills (dance, instruments, lores, languages, etc.).

Convince your GM to give you skill selections, bonuses and IQ bonuses in place of the normal powers:
I recommend as additional powers for the Godling:
1: Insatiable desire to learn (modified from Lone Star), Includes a +1D4 bonus to IQ, and can either a)Select 8 additional RCC related skills +1 additional at each level of experience from any catagory--RCC and RCC related skills do not recieve any bonuses other than I.Q. or b) can select an additional 2 RCC related skills at level one and an additional RCC related skill at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12
2: Natural Aptitude: The Godling recieves a +10% bonus to all skills within a certain field (rogue, technical, etc.).

While these powers may seem excessive, you are trading away abilities like Burster or all Necromatic or Temporal magic spells.

Select the two powers I have suggested and give him ley line walker abilities. With this, he won't be too overpowered for your group (like a Mulka), or too underpowered (like a human rogue scholar).

Good luck.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

You might wanna try the Acolyte OCC from TTGD if you happen to have it.

They're a class that's devoted to learning as much about magic, how it works, and all kinds of lore regarding the paranormal and supernatural without actually learning to cast spells themselves.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

It is hard to get everything you want in one person, and make it book legal. My current favorite skill monger is the HU style Natural Genius. With the right skills and the right special abilities they make a good Batman style jack of all trades. Throw in a evasive martial art like Akkido and they can defend themselves, but are not the aggressor. To make them the backup for the group I would advise a good deal of technology(O/P Field, ect), and a smattering of magic(a magic ring or three, even a rune weapon). A scroll book of magic would allow the chracter to pull the group out of the fire so to speak without actually having magic abilities himself.

If the chracter still needs a boost make him a True Atlantean with a few tattoos and a history of D-Travel along with the items to go with it. An Artifact from NB with the anti magic ability, rings from PF, and so on.

A scholarly Nightbane might have a different flavor as well.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

RCSG Scientist who is REALLY, REALLY lost.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

I was thinking that, but he would be woefully underpowered compaered to his fellow party members.

Maybe a Janissary RCSG?
RockJock
Knight

Exposed him to something to give him a HU Experiment power catagory.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

shadrak wrote:

I was thinking that, but he would be woefully underpowered compaered to his fellow party members.

Maybe a Janissary RCSG?

Bah. The best battle cry is always "Not the face! Not the face!"
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
RockJock
Knight

Give the scientist a smattering of defesnsive super powers. Intagibility, Hyper Density, along with Lightning Reflexes to give him the reaction time to activate the other powers. Can't do any damage, but can stand still in the middle of a fire fight.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Bah. The best battle cry is always "Not the face! Not the face!"

ROFL-- I've always liked "No mas, NO MAS!!!"
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Intangibility and Hyperdensity? That is unusual...is that in HU or Powers Unlimited? I don't have PU 2 or 3.
Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

How about a good all fashion BTS para-psychologist, he gets know a ton of stuff, and gets ome other abilites according to the Conversion Book 1
"If you want something done, ask. If you want something done quickly, ask, and then begin counting down from ten with no explanation."
- Mahatma Gandhi
"Unit be the side of darkeness"
RockJock
Knight

Hyperdensity is a minor power in PU1. Basically the character takes adsolutely no damage for the limited duration fo the power. It only works for a limited time, and you can't move or fight with it on. I would suggest something like Intangibility to go with it because of the huge number of situations it is useful for. It really depends on how active you want the character to be. A ex CS character who gained super powers, but knew he couldn't go home could be fun. Use the super powers boost in CB1 and you're set.

Another idea is to use some of the Occ add ons. Things like Warrior of Valhalla from CB2, Sea Inquister from Underseas, maybe even Gene Splicer or Spulgoth genetic tampering.

Return to “Rifts®”