Before the Dark Day

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aaryq
Adventurer

Before the Dark Day

Unread post by Aaryq »

Okay, so the ball is slowly rolling on me starting up a Nightbane campaign. I think, for ease of transition from Rifts Traveling and Killing and Palladium Dungeon Crawling, I should start prior to the dark day. I'm a pretty big history buff, so I can do any timeframe (from mid-Roman Empire to the day before the Dark Day). How active are the Darklords prior to the dark day? What would be common and also what would be rare/near impossible?
What kind of timeframe and story lines would be good for a story pre-dark day campaign?

HELP!!!
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
Chuck McDaniel
Explorer

Unread post by Chuck McDaniel »

Well. You could say that Hitler was an agent of the Darklords also Stalin, Nero ?, or any other crazy or diabolical ruler.

WWII would be cool. The Nightbanes influence on how the war went so badly for Germany towards the end. That might be pretty cool Nightbane as spies and/or assassins for the Allies.

Maybe even during the Inquisition. Maybe the Darklords sowed the seeds of hate into Pope Lucius III to draft the Ad abolendam starting it all. Although this maybe a pretty touchy subject unless you have a very opened minded group. ***ALSO I in no way am inferring that the Catholic Church was influenced by some evil entity!!!! I just brought it up as a POSSIBLE adventure idea for an open minded group and DON'T mean to offend anyone!***

Maybe the Black plague was created by the Darklords through some sort of vile ritual and the PCs have to stop it some how. Maybe a great way to bring a Lightbringer into the group.

Chuck
It's God's job to judge the D-bees, It's our job to arrange the meeting! -Smiling Jack SAMAS bumper sticker.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

I'd like to think the Nightlords were behind the Spanish Inquisition. As everyone targeted in that would be a potential enemy of the Nightlords (it would likely uncover true supernaturals like nightbane, vampires, spellcasters, etc).

You could even change when Dark Day happened. What if it happened during WWII or the American Civil War or the Crusades?
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

Mmmm history, I wouldn't mind starting out a ways back, but I think my primary focus will be 1/2 in (and just after) WWII and the rest will be around today (I'm adjusting the Dark Day to start 10 years later), working the Nightbane to fight crime (or cause crime if the players decide to be evil). WWII will be pretty straight up, they'll either be the Army Rangers pounding through Europe or else Marine Raiders (OORAH!) island hopping through the South Pacific. So when the go to modern times, I'll have to get with the players to see what they want to get out of this campaign. I'm thinking investigation of possible Darklord infiltrators, fight vampire cells, and deal with rival nightbane (all while staying out of the eyes of local/state/federal law enforcement).
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
Chuck McDaniel
Explorer

Unread post by Chuck McDaniel »

In WWII Rogers Rangers (Army Ranger) and Marine Raiders (SEMPER FI DO OR DIE) where not standard units they where some of the first Spec. Ops. units. I believe that is why Aaryq was wanting to put them in those units.

Chuck
It's God's job to judge the D-bees, It's our job to arrange the meeting! -Smiling Jack SAMAS bumper sticker.
Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

The PC's will be Nightbane serving in a human unit. Like it was mentioned before, they want to keep a low profile and plus the camraderie (spelling?) in a small tight-knit unit like that will be greater than your standard support unit or even straight-legged infantry. I'm going to have their platoon sergeant or platoon commander be a nightbane. Since he's a 'bane, he'll understand them and authorize them to go out ahead of the rest of the men to "scout" or something like that, thus allowing them to use their Morphus.
When the time-skip goes down, it will just be the 'bane. After the war they'll have to go back into hiding for a while, because when grandpa is sitting on the porch telling stories about how he killed 50 Waffen SS and sees Corporal Smith who used to be in his unit walk by un-aged, it might pose a problem.
NovenTheHero
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by NovenTheHero »

Chuck McDaniel wrote:In WWII Rogers Rangers (Army Ranger) and Marine Raiders (SEMPER FI DO OR DIE) where not standard units they where some of the first Spec. Ops. units. I believe that is why Aaryq was wanting to put them in those units.

Chuck

Not to be a turd or derail things, but arn't the Rogers Rangers from like in the revolutionary times in the late 1700's? I remember reading about them in the Ranger Handbook or something related =)
My Forums
Image Image
My 5 gallon batch of Traditional Mead and my 5 1 gallon batches of Melomel (Blueberry, Strawberry, Peach, Stawberry-Peach, and Mixed Berry)
Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

Not to be a turd or derail things

*points finger* DERAILING TURD
*looks to mods* We have found a turd, may we burn it?

But in all seriousness, and after a few minutes of googling, you appear correct. Nice eye for detail...

Return to “Nightbane®”