(Split from Rifts MMO discussion) balance and roles

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Noon
Champion

(Split from Rifts MMO discussion) balance and roles

Unread post by Noon »

Split because, against what I agree with, the other thread was about 'features'.

Traska wrote:
Okay, why did the player choose a rogue scholar?

What did they expect a rogue scholar to be able to DO?

It seems to me two problems are occuring -

A: the players in your example don't know what the hell role they want their character selection to forfil
B: There is only one role present - damage dealing
C: Because thats the only role present, the player who has a mental void as to the role he wants his rogue to forfil, decides its that one. Pretty stupid, but it has a dumb logic - there are no other roles to fill.

Okay, that was three probs but you get my point. Is this actually the problem - one role + players with no clue?

An important thing to keep in mind is that in a tabletop game, he GM usually sees to it that the less powerful classes have their shining moments. At least, a good GM does. i.e., they come into a town, and there's a virus that has infected it, and half the town is dead already. The player characters aren't infected, mostly because it takes prolonged exposure over a period of weeks and they just got there.

The Glitter Boy is useless... his boom gun can't kill a virus. The mystic can heal the townsfolk, but their spells can't cure them, just stop them from dying at the moment. The borg is equally useless. The rogue scientist, however, knows a thing or two about bio-chemistry. After a week of research and testing, he finally comes up with a cure. THe townsfolk rejoice, his companions cheer for him, and for the moment, *he* is the main character and his party are the supporters. That's why people play what are, in essence, the flavor classes. They enjoy the rare shining moments rather than always being there dishing out damage.

But an MMO has no such moments. It has no over-arcing GM ensuring that everyone is having fun. The problem is that an MMO is radically different from a tabletop game.

Pftt, rubish.

You've just described a role. Roleplayers think their all imagintive - you can't imagine this role being needed in combat?

For example, say in a combat killing all your foes gives you 50 victory points - but 50 victory poitns only gets you 50% XP. What if there was another role to be forfilled that was needed to get the other half. And, using your imagination, you took your idea and somehow that role was it, implemented in just the same way combat is (a bunch of moves todo this research somehow, just like combat is a bunch of moves). It's not some bugbear of an issue to add.

The object of an MMO is onefold: to get more powerful. You want to explore? Get more levels to make travel less dangerous. Want to do crafting? Get more crafting levels to make more stuff. Want to be better in combat? That definitely requires more levels. In an MMO, it's all about the numbers. Armor, hit points, mana, but most especially level. The difference between one level and the next could mean the difference between a cleric that can heal and a cleric that can ressurect.

That's where the two games differ the greatest, and that's why balance is key: because as long as experience is the main goal, it will be the mission of most players to increase that number as quickly and efficiently as possible.

And how is that a problem?

If your only getting half the experience because your a killing crew - that isn't efficient. Get a rogue scholar on board!

By setting up victory points or something like it that divides up the possible XP earnt as if it were a pie, it ensures that rogue scholars and other less combat powerful characters are VITAL.

Balancing out characters so a rogue scholar is as powerful as a glitter boy (cause his GB gets stolen every five minutes) is just lame. It's just false advertising "GB's are cool...though I've secretly coded them to be lame to balance out - so really their just the same as everything else"

Do you want to talk about how that XP pie can be split over various roles?
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

It all depends on mission design. If XP is granted by mission success and not by kills, then a team of glitterboys will be woefully lost on any mission that depends on magic, research or stealth.

Personally, I have not seen anything in the computer world that tells me that the game engines can do more than just combat adventures. I have not seen anything that can do interactive dialogue with NPCs. EDIT - I have seen this in single player, but not MMOs.

Let's look at tabletop adventures. We heroes talk to NPCs all the time and share dialogue. We don't just click on the exclamation point over their head and listen to their blather. A HUGE part of the fun is the give and take of the various personalities.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

You have to have a mix of mindless hack n slash and quest driven xp.

BAD MOMMA DOG-FACE BANANA PATCH
"Well said, Kryzbyn! :ok: " -Killer Cyborg
"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
+100 "acting like a real man" points - DLDC
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
HIPPIES ARE WHAT D-BEES EAT
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

For example, say in a combat killing all your foes gives you 50 victory points - but 50 victory poitns only gets you 50% XP. What if there was another role to be forfilled that was needed to get the other half. And, using your imagination, you took your idea and somehow that role was it, implemented in just the same way combat is (a bunch of moves todo this research somehow, just like combat is a bunch of moves). It's not some bugbear of an issue to add.

And then you run into the wall that is human nature. The average player (the guy you're hoping will play the game) will look at that as a nerf. "If you don't have this particular character, you only get half XP? Man, what a rip!" In games where they incorporate traps in a dungeon setting, players see having to have theives in the group (so they can disarm those traps) as forcing a certain character type down their throat. Players want the freedom to have any type of character, and to group with any type of character.

I've played more MMOs than I care to count, and I see this attitude in every one. Roleplay is a hindrance, an obstacle that prevents the goal (the goal being rapid XP). And if you force something on them, they'll do the bare minimum (instead of six glitter boys, it becoems five glitter boys and a rogue scholar).
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Traska wrote:And then you run into the wall that is human nature. The average player (the guy you're hoping will play the game) will look at that as a nerf. "If you don't have this particular character, you only get half XP? Man, what a rip!" In games where they incorporate traps in a dungeon setting, players see having to have theives in the group (so they can disarm those traps) as forcing a certain character type down their throat. Players want the freedom to have any type of character, and to group with any type of character.

The fact is, without some sort of hurdle, without some sort of problem - it is not a game. It isn't a valid line of arguement to shoot down any problem I add by saying 'someone wont like it!'. It has to have problems to overcome in it and, yup, by default that means it wont suit every person.

Unless you can explain how a game can consist of no hurdles or problems and still be a game.

No, the only valid issue I can see is that players who were used to a 'any party goes' play as the default would see the game they want to play, go away when traps are planted. That's a different issue of bait and switch, which we can go into if you want.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Spinachcat wrote:It all depends on mission design. If XP is granted by mission success and not by kills, then a team of glitterboys will be woefully lost on any mission that depends on magic, research or stealth.

That requires an incredibly consistant mission design every time. If you have the principle up front that only X percentage of XP can be gained by doing Y, that principle never changes. That applies to Kryzbyn's comment too - there is no right mix - everyone will either interpret the mixture as being different, or want a mix of different levels. Trying to shape the gameworld to forfil player expectation of structure is a dead end.

Personally, I have not seen anything in the computer world that tells me that the game engines can do more than just combat adventures. I have not seen anything that can do interactive dialogue with NPCs. EDIT - I have seen this in single player, but not MMOs.

Why should they do NPC dialog? Can you do more than say they just should? Because right now I have no actual idea what you want and nor would a designer - you want 'roleplay'. But what specifically that involves for you - well, can you elaborate?
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Unless you can explain how a game can consist of no hurdles or problems and still be a game.

The monsters are usually the hurdle in an MMO. Everquest I and II, Anarchy Online, City of Heroes, Matrix Online, Saga of Ryzom... these are MMOs that I have played and in these MMOs, there's usually only two possible ways to get experience points. Fighting and questing. Questing usually involves:

--Take item A to guy B and get experience and/or money
--Kill monster A and get experience and/or money
--Kill X number of monster A and get experience and/or money
--Collect X items (often off of monsters) and get experience and/or money

And, of course, fighting is beating the tar out of the enemy. Some games also allow experience for crafting.

No MMO I've played (or are aware of) deviates from this model. To do so would be to blaze new trails in MMOs.

It isn't a valid line of arguement to shoot down any problem I add by saying 'someone wont like it!'.

Simply put, if players don't like it, players won't play it, and without player revenues any MMO crumbles to dust. You *have* to take players into account, they're the ones you're trying to attract in numbers. Putting a novel into a mousetrap instead of a piece of cheese because you think the mouse might like to read a little Dickens before a meal is all well and good, but the mouse isn't going to go for it and thus the trap, no matter how well designed, is useless.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Oh rubbish. I hear CONTINUAL grumbling about grinding, as they play for freaking hours.

What your refering to is players wanting familiarity. At the same time they are bored with the familiar.

Let me run you through rested status in WOW - does anyone complain? No, they think it's great that sometimes you get double XP.

But imagine you pitched it this way - you get half XP unless your character is rested. It would be exactly the same numbers but people would ***** about it. It would just feel like being penalised all the time.

In fact the actual truth is that it is not a bonus - its a matter of retarding your progress if you play too often, giving you half XP growth if you do that (so blizz makes more on subscription). Where are the howls of anguish you predict? They aren't there because people only see 'bonus'.

When you bring in something new amongst the familiar, simply pitch it as a bonus. Before when I said you can only get 50% of the victory XP by killing? Okay, now you can get 100% percent ....wow, isn't that great! And you know what, if your rogue scholar uses his researching skills he can earn the party another wopping, extra special, kentucky fried 100% percent XP on top of that! Wow! What a bonus! 200% in total.

Which would still come out to the same amount of XP as using a 50% for killing, 50% for rogue scholaring.

On combat, I don't know why you think someone using sinister strike is okay, but you can't have a rogue scholar 'attacking' ruins with various moves like 'percieve the answer' or suchlike, until the ruins mystery points are depleated. Investigation and even negotiation can be modeled in just the same way combat is.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

When I say there has to be a mix of mindless hack n slash and quest xp, I mean both options need to be availble, dependant on the whim of the player.
Do I want to work on that quest? Or just go raise my skills killin stuff fer a while? Both options should be present. You should not lock the character into a linear storyline, give him/her the option.

"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Kryzbyn wrote:When I say there has to be a mix of mindless hack n slash and quest xp, I mean both options need to be availble, dependant on the whim of the player.
Do I want to work on that quest? Or just go raise my skills killin stuff fer a while? Both options should be present. You should not lock the character into a linear storyline, give him/her the option.

Okay, I miss read you - that's a different format.

In context with that and MMO - how does your choice between hack/quest and other players choices blend (assuming your to meet the idea of multiplayer rather than single player)?

I'm not saying it can't be done, just starting question time on the issue :)
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

EQ2 already has this.
For instance, I know that in a certain zone is a group of mobs i can kill to raise my combat skills/gain xp.
I also know, in a different zone, I can pick up a writ to kill the effore mentioned mobs.
If the mobs are hard enough, I can ask for others to aid me and form a group...can hack n slash and get a writ done at the same time.
Or I can go solo those mobs if I can handle them.
Or I can go do a NPC quest built by the programmers.
Any of these things i can do solo or get a group for. Depends on my mood.

NovenTheHero
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by NovenTheHero »

EVE doesnt have really an expereince system...you just learn skills and train them one by one over the course of time =)
My Forums
Image Image
My 5 gallon batch of Traditional Mead and my 5 1 gallon batches of Melomel (Blueberry, Strawberry, Peach, Stawberry-Peach, and Mixed Berry)
Nemo235
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nemo235 »

Everyone is still thinking of typical online games.
If you want this game to be close to the original, there is no XP for simply killing random stuff.
XP is rewarded for completing parts of a story and dramatic playing.

If you showed up to play a rifts adventure and your GM said, "Tonight you will kill 10 Bog Bears and collect their teeth.", would you be satisfied with that? What if the GM said the same thing for next 10 nights you played, only changing the creature type and what you had to gather?

There has got be a way to create a story that involves the characters.
A story that they participate in.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Honestly I'd thank God for the break in the complicated that is Rifts.
I think the overall theme here is "you can't please everyone all of the time".
SO you want to make something different, or do you want to make money?
That becomes the pivital question.
There is a reason why 7+ million people play WOW, and the next big chunk play EQ/EQ2. If you accidentaly eliminate that reason, you have just developed an online game no one will pay to play. What is that reason? Ease of play and variety.
Bottom line is, its entertainment you want people to pay for. Staying true to the palladium rules system is not so important as staying true to the vision of Rifts if you want to make money. You might attract hard core PB devotees, but i'm thinkin that ain't 7 million people. My 2 cents.

Nemo235
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nemo235 »

I'm just throwing ideas out there.
Less grind, more story would be good.

Maybe make it more like a survival/horror type game.

I know deviating too far from what people expect can put them off, but you have to take that gamble to make something stand out from the pack.
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Everyone is still thinking of typical online games.
If you want this game to be close to the original, there is no XP for simply killing random stuff.
XP is rewarded for completing parts of a story and dramatic playing.

If you showed up to play a rifts adventure and your GM said, "Tonight you will kill 10 Bog Bears and collect their teeth.", would you be satisfied with that? What if the GM said the same thing for next 10 nights you played, only changing the creature type and what you had to gather?

Which means every group or solo character would need a dedicated GM.

Congratulations, you just invented the world's first $10/hour MMO.
Nemo235
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nemo235 »

No, I'm talking about inventing new software.
Maybe something like a storyline with branching choices. Like one of those old choose your own adventure books.

The choices wouldn't always be so obvious to the players, the story would change by their actions.

Like I said, not typical for an online game.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Kryzbyn wrote:EQ2 already has this.
For instance, I know that in a certain zone is a group of mobs i can kill to raise my combat skills/gain xp.
I also know, in a different zone, I can pick up a writ to kill the effore mentioned mobs.
If the mobs are hard enough, I can ask for others to aid me and form a group...can hack n slash and get a writ done at the same time.

The issue in this thread is having adventuring parties have a blend of characters, not just five GB's (and not just five rogue scholars). I'm proposing that more roles are added - I think your idea is only about providing a menu for players. That's a good idea, but it doesn't touch party diversity.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Nemo235 wrote:If you showed up to play a rifts adventure and your GM said, "Tonight you will kill 10 Bog Bears and collect their teeth.", would you be satisfied with that? What if the GM said the same thing for next 10 nights you played, only changing the creature type and what you had to gather?

Let me hit you with this - if your GM tells you before game night that you need to kill 10 bog bears....well if you turn up on gaming night, then you must be satisfied with that.

It really isn't a matter of making the perfect story - it's about player choosing to play cause what they know is there, they know will make them happy.

Part of the problem of satisfying people is that they come up with some damn invention of their own as to what roleplaying involves, and think the game will just end up suiting that. They don't A: Find out what the game is and B: think whether they want to play it. No, they go B first, by inventing a fantasy of A in their heads.

Killing bog bears and other straight forward, mechanical tasks, can be part of a games main structure. Take the indie game, 'the mountain witch'. Your samurai and gotta go kill her. But it's bigger than that. The problem isn't making it interesting - the problem is getting bloody minded gamers to get A and B in the right order. Okay, rantish, but hey.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Noon wrote:
Kryzbyn wrote:EQ2 already has this.

The issue in this thread is having adventuring parties have a blend of characters, not just five GB's (and not just five rogue scholars). I'm proposing that more roles are added - I think your idea is only about providing a menu for players. That's a good idea, but it doesn't touch party diversity.

Ok. I guess I'm not understanding the question here then. Are you saying there should be mechanics in the game that make you diversify your party, and players can not choose who to group with?

Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

No, that's not what I'm saying. You seem to be adding 'make the player', I wont get into it because refuting something I didn't say is just extra work.

So, what do you want to know?
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

I asked for clarification on:

noon wrote:The issue in this thread is having adventuring parties have a blend of characters, not just five GB's (and not just five rogue scholars).

I asked what I thought you were saying, but...actually I have no idea what you just said either. I'm not trying to flame bait, just get an idea of what game ideas you're asking for/about.

Nemo235
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nemo235 »

Noon wrote:Let me hit you with this - if your GM tells you before game night that you need to kill 10 bog bears....well if you turn up on gaming night, then you must be satisfied with that.

It really isn't a matter of making the perfect story - it's about player choosing to play cause what they know is there, they know will make them happy.

Part of the problem of satisfying people is that they come up with some damn invention of their own as to what roleplaying involves, and think the game will just end up suiting that. They don't A: Find out what the game is and B: think whether they want to play it. No, they go B first, by inventing a fantasy of A in their heads.

Killing bog bears and other straight forward, mechanical tasks, can be part of a games main structure. Take the indie game, 'the mountain witch'. Your samurai and gotta go kill her. But it's bigger than that. The problem isn't making it interesting - the problem is getting bloody minded gamers to get A and B in the right order. Okay, rantish, but hey.

I was just trying to say it would be nice to have some relevance to what the character does other than just power gaming to the next level.

It would be nice to get away from the simplistic Pavlovian model that almost all computer based RPG's resort to. You know the one..
Grind. Level
Grind grind. Level
Grind grind grind. Level.
Grind grind grind grind. Level.
Etc. Ad infinitum.
Where's the drama? There is no story behind it other than being able to heft heavier weapons and deal deadlier damage to bigger random beasties.

I don't have a solution to the problem, just some ideas I'd like to see.
There's all sorts of stories. Maybe the player would start a story from goals at character creation. Other story lines would be introduced during play, of course, including the typical short missions we see in current games.

In relation to the topic at hand, some stories would be geared to the power level of certain OCC's.
A Juicer might want to try to find a way to reverse the Juicing augmentation to extend their life.
A Dragon may be sworn enemies of an entire tribe of Simvan.
A Rogue Scholar might be in search of ancient software from before the Rifts.
A Dogboy may want to defect from the Coalition and search for his family.

XP could be gained from completing certain steps of the story.
A couple big problems with this method would be redundancy of plots and continuity.
For one thing, you don't want every single OCC's plot to be exactly the same. It's not very credible for all dogboys to want to run away, or every Rogue Scholar to be searching for this one program. So there would have to be variety and randomness.
For another, if the setting is going to be dynamic, vital elements of a story may be altered or even destroyed.
For example, if a character had to talk to a specific named NPC for some reason, what happens if someone else kills that person. The story would have to adjust somehow or be derailed.

Sorry, I seem to be rambling. And I also apologize if this is not completely on topic. Maybe another thread should be created, something like "Improbable ideas Nemo235 wants to see in a MMORPG" :lol:
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Kryzbyn wrote:I asked for clarification on:

noon wrote:The issue in this thread is having adventuring parties have a blend of characters, not just five GB's (and not just five rogue scholars).

I asked what I thought you were saying, but...actually I have no idea what you just said either. I'm not trying to flame bait, just get an idea of what game ideas you're asking for/about.

Someone else thought having 'diverse parties' (rather than everyone just playing a dragon) as an impossible task. I think it's relatively simple.

I've written some ideas, but basically whether you just force them to have diverse parties, or entice them somehow - suggestions on how you might do it is what you can add here.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Nemo235 wrote:Where's the drama? There is no story behind it other than being able to heft heavier weapons and deal deadlier damage to bigger random beasties.

I think you've got an issue with that, because what's drama for one person is yawn for another. How do you track down drama - what if you had a drop down box, and you choose which you find dramatic
* kill ten of the bog bears who are stealing livestock
* kill ten of the bog bears who are stealing peoples children
* kill ten of the bog bears who took your sister

I know none of them might seem dramatic to you, but you can see that 'dramatic' sits somewhere on a sliding scale and could be tracked down for individual players. And you can see how removing the bog bears doesn't change the issue - find what is drama for the player.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Ahhh I see.
The way its done in EQ2 now is, every class has its trade off. Mages can do hella damage, but cant take it. They need a fighter to occupy the foe whilst he nukes it. Fighter doesn't have unlimited hitpoints. He needs a healer. Healer doesnt have unlimited mana, so the mage buffs him with extra mana.
They all can solo...do things alone, but for big stories and end bosses they will have to add diversity to thier lives or fail. A group of mages might be able to kill a big mob fast enough that they aren't hurt, but its a big gamble, and for each one of them that falls ensures the foe's success. A group of fighters might be able to beat it down before it gets them, but many will drop in the process. A group of clerics can keep each other alive, but they cant really dish out much damage.
You could build something like this into Rifts, as I do not believe it exists now in the table top version, for playability's sake, or similarly build each class with its own achilles heel. Its the art of forcing without forcing :P

Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Well no, that's not the direction I took it anyway - all you've described focuses one one role being dominant: Being a combatant. To fit a rogue scholar into such a system would involve making book reading some combat related thing. Rather than shoe horn RS's into combat roles AND somehow balance them off against the effectivness of juicers/GB's, I suggest making another role entirely, that must be forfilled to get the most out of any victory.
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
atkindave
Explorer

Unread post by atkindave »

Not really played any MMO's. So I speak a bit from ignorace. At least I know it.

Just an idea, you can have the combat adventures and the rogue/skilly type adventures, and keep them relatively separate, but give groups an experience award for playing together as much as possible. (say, an adventure is worth 1000 xp, or whatever, but when a group has played together for x times, it's worth an extra 10%, or 1100.

Or, just do it like Palladium does. You get XP for successfully using skills, no matter the circumstance. XP bonus for reading the book, XP bonus for prowling, whatever. Palladium already has this, while many other systems depend on what Kevin derisively calls the "kill factor." In PB games, a skill character with a fair GM could advance much faster than a warrior anyway, hacking computers, prowling, doing scientific experiments, all kinds of things, while warriors without those skills need to hunt and kill bad guys to gain levels. For every xiticix or brodkil to smash, there are 10 opportunities to do things like pick his pockets, or sabotage an engine, or recharge an e-clip. None of these things needs to be done to complete an adventure, but they could be done in lieu of, or along with, combat to complete a mission. And everyone gets XP.

Just play it out the way it was intended.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Sure, I'd love to join your creepy sig cult!
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Noon wrote:Well no, that's not the direction I took it anyway - all you've described focuses one one role being dominant: Being a combatant. To fit a rogue scholar into such a system would involve making book reading some combat related thing. Rather than shoe horn RS's into combat roles AND somehow balance them off against the effectivness of juicers/GB's, I suggest making another role entirely, that must be forfilled to get the most out of any victory.

AHHH I understand your point now.
To have a rogue scholar as a levelable class in non-combat ways you would need heavy story driven quests. Or, make them like bards...they know what youre fighting and give bonuses to others becasue of their knowledge.../shrug.
This is the fundemental difference between MMORPGs and table top roleplaying. Easily done in person, not so much in an MMORPPG.

Return to “Rifts®”