I just saw the Shadow Chronicles

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Pax Concord
D-Bee

Unread post by Pax Concord »

I just saw it too. My first reaction was: was does every woman in the movie have ENORMOUS breasts?? I mean, seriously, all of a sudden Marlene/Ariel is a triple D-cup or something. It was really bizarre.

I'm afraid that my overall reaction was pretty negative. The music, at least, was better for the most part, than the original series. The throwaway reference to "protoculture addicts" was an amusing touch. I liked the spaceship designs, but the textures on the 3D models didn't work for me. The Haydonites were cool, but the new human characters were completely flat and uninteresting. When that one guy (Alex?) got killed, I was pretty much thinking "so what?" It was supposed to be dramatic, but he was a completely unimportant character who did nothing but banter for the whole movie up until that point.

The thing I missed the most, though, was the strong message about war that Robotech had. There was no examination or introspection by any of the characters about what they were doing or why. The place where Robotech's themes finally caught up to the movie was when it was revealed that the Haydonites were bad news, and Janice fell under suspicion. Of course, she was trusted again five minutes later, so the drama wasn't maintained. Same thing with Ariel, really. Those two characters could have been the catalysts for a lot of drama, but this was squandered in favor of more dogfights (not that I have a problem with dogfights, mind you!).
-Pax
Snuffy
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Snuffy »

It did overall have the Robotech feel to it for me, but I noticed the narrator is missing. I think the narration was a big help in the original series and gave some depth.
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

I haven't seen it yet, but now, I know what to expect from RTSC thanks to online reviews by fans & critics alike.

I know the CGI is substandard. I know the story expand the RT-verse, with some surprises. I know of the excessive fanservice with the 'boob-mania'. Plus the flashy animation with somewhat flat characters overall.

But hey, I'm still gonna get it. Its just that I'm no longer have unrealistic hope attached to it, as most RT-fans have before RTSC was released, only later to be slightly disappointed as it didn't reached their earlier expectation.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I enjoyed the it as well. And though I am sure if I was truely wanting to look for every flaw in it, I could. I rather not. The basic story was fun, I like how we got to see the battle through the eyes of the Robotech Forces in space. I truely enjoyed the space battles once more. I like the fact it was geared for the adults watching it.
I am personally hoping it will not take forever for them to get the next movie out.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”