Player Padding

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

How much do you pad the player?

Never: He gets what he gets
48%
Little: An extra weapon or item can't hurt to much
27%
Moderate: A few skills, items, and basics
24%
Heavy: Extras upon extras, if they want it they can have it
No votes

Total votes: 33

Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Depending on the game, I may do this more than at other times.
A lot also depends on the character, and whether they actually have what they need to begin with or not.
In some cases, like the Rifts' Dragon Hatchling, part of their challenge is in how little they begin with so I do very little in the way of padding.

I am much more likely to approve a resaonable wish-list than a munchkin one.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Depending on the Char and the game.

char with lots of stuff, that is it, nothing more. little stuff..I' let them get away with padding their equipment abit.

If they don't have the skill might give it to them in game.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Not really.
If I see a PC that doesn't have certain things that they need, I'll make it available during play.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

It depends on the campaign. If they need more stuff I give it to them. If not they can get it in gameplay.
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

As a GM I will not pad a characters equipment list. What I will do is maybe have something that could potentially help several members of the group amongst the equipment that my players run across during play.

As a player I will do my best to help out a fellow player who works well with the rest of the group and does not have proper equipment. Other than that I do not give players anything "special" or rare to help them. Such items can be abused in the wrong player's hands.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Player Padding

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Icemaster109 wrote:I seem to be kindve doing this myself. This is another question similar to how much do you break the rules. Another poll I was interested in to kidnve guide my hand and maybe a fw otherts. How many times do you guys give extra stuff to players? Skills, weapons, vehicles, experience just to help them out, or becuase they give you the sad face?

About as often as I restrict their starting equipment to less than is officially listed.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

I normally stick with what you get is what you get.

However, if a player is playing an OCC that says he gets a MD Pistol of some type, but the player wants something different, then go adead, take a medium priced Pistol and "sell" it and use the credits to get what you want. Including some more equipment. I will not let a player sell equipment to get a better weapon, i.e. they can only downgrade their weapons.

As far as skills go...

I am running a mystery game where the players made an Ordinary PCC per BTS2, but only aged 12-19. I am not a big fan of Professions in BTS (mainly because there is no "How To" on putting skills to a different Profession not in th book), so I told them to pick either Street Schooled, High School, or 1 Year College (2 Year college if anyone got an IQ over 18) out of HU2. I gave them all 6 extra secondary skills because I feel that HU2 kinda screws the players over in the skill department (though, they are super-heros so I can see why).

But thats it.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

I voted moderate since it involved skills. I don't mind a few extra skills at the start. But that's all the extras I allow, unless the campaign requires otherwise. So, yea.
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Icemaster109 wrote:I seem to be kindve doing this myself. This is another question similar to how much do you break the rules. Another poll I was interested in to kidnve guide my hand and maybe a fw otherts. How many times do you guys give extra stuff to players? Skills, weapons, vehicles, experience just to help them out, or becuase they give you the sad face?

About as often as I restrict their starting equipment to less than is officially listed.

Such as?
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Vrykolas2k wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Such as?

Such as I usually restrict "energy weapon of choice" to "Energy Weapon of Choice from books X, Y, and/or Z."
Ditto with weapon, armor, and other gear.
Other times, if the adventure/campaign needs them to be on foot a lot, I'll tell them No Vehicles.
One time I restricted them to SDC gear.

It varies with the adventure/campaign.

Come to think of it, I really restrict their gear a lot more than I give them extra stuff.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

bigbobsr6000
Hero

Killer Cyborg wrote:Come to think of it, I really restrict their gear a lot more than I give them extra stuff.

Meanie :P

:D
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Such as?

Such as I usually restrict "energy weapon of choice" to "Energy Weapon of Choice from books X, Y, and/or Z."
Other times, if the adventure/campaign needs them to be on foot a lot, I'll tell them No Vehicles.

Come to think of it, I really restrict their gear a lot more than I give them extra stuff.

Well, as long as you give them three books to choose from... and as long as the book the OCC/RCC is in is one of them (providing said book HAS gear), I don't see a big problem. Just as long as it doesn't screw a player/ character (ie, giving a Samurai just an SDC daisho or something retarded like that).
Except for the no vehicle/ SDC crap bit of course. :-P

sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

I voted moderate.

I think they usually start the game with everything they need to have a good gaming experience.

At least I hope so. :lol:
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Vrykolas2k wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Such as?

Well, as long as you give them three books to choose from... and as long as the book the OCC/RCC is in is one of them (providing said book HAS gear), I don't see a big problem. Just as long as it doesn't screw a player/ character (ie, giving a Samurai just an SDC daisho or something retarded like that).

Sometimes I restrict things to just one book.

The overall goal is to do what makes for a good adventure.
Giving PCs Mega-damage gear and pitting them against SDC threats doesn't (usually) make for good adventure, and neither does having them drive (or fly) right past encounters.
Not that that's the only way to go, just that it's a good way to go sometimes.
Depending on what kind of adventure you want.

Vrykolas2k
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Such as?

Sometimes I restrict things to just one book.

Giving PCs Mega-damage gear and pitting them against SDC threats doesn't (usually) make for good adventure, and neither does having them drive (or fly) right past encounters.

I agree, just messing with ya.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Vrykolas2k wrote:I agree, just messing with ya.

So's your face.

:p

bigbobsr6000
Hero

NEE!
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

If it's PFRPG, TMNT, AtB, or BtS (all the acronym games are the best) you can do just about anything, so long as I have access to the material.

Rifts is generally restricted according to the campaign to main book any book relevant to the geographic center of the campaign, but there are not many Rifts book in our circle
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Sometimes I restrict things to just one book.

I would agree with that. In my case, my character's usually use equipment to match their opponants. meaning that I will use an assault rifle on an SDC opponant rather than a particle bean rifle.

I have played as a Mystic knight against opponants armed like a present day SWAT team. the one sided massacre was not really that fun. I do have some well equiped character's but there is a reason thay are so well equipped.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

I voted NEVER, but this isn'at actually true
In my PC Generation you can get bonus skills, a LOT of money, and depending on the setting, Rune Weapons.

Of course on the other hand, you could end up totally broke, naked, hoards of assassins after you, and perhaps even near death

So easy come, easy go. I like the idea of a PC growing through experience and starting out with a rusty sword, or a small revolver with only a few rounds, growing to be forces to be reckoned with and legend
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

Growth and discover are key elements. :ok:
GA
Explorer
Comment: Master of Dirk Diggler Style

Unread post by GA »

I voted never cause that's the usual rule but sometimes i give them an extra item or let them trade one of their items for another. Like someone wants an arbalest instead of a bow maybe. Stuff like that.
You kill my dog I'ma slay yo cat-Flava Flav, Terminator X to the Edge of Panic, 1988
A man's gotta know his limitations-Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, 1973
No good deed goes unpunished-Clare Booth Luce

Return to “G.M.s Forum”