Bad RIFTS GM

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SkyeFyre
Hero

Re: Bad RIFTS GM

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Agreed.

Oh, and Annihilation is a book legal spell that costs like 600 PPE or so and does like 2D4x100 damage. In other words, even using it ONCE is a challenge.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

K20A2_S wrote:.....lol...I couldn't help but laugh the whole time.......worse GM award fo sho!!

You can say that again!
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Your friends' take on the rules isn't that bad - how he runs his game though was awful. I cannot believe you stuck it out for more than 4 character deaths - even noobs know when they've been had by then.

From the rules stand-point, if you had been more versed at the time you would have realized that infact going first is the worst thing you can do - see the simoltaineous attack thread as to why. As for getting all your attacks at once, well that was clearly wrong - sort of. Under certain circumstances you can do that as well (again this is simoltaineous attacks' fault). I assumed you meant dodge instead of parry when you were speaking of the Juicer parrying bullets, and you were right.

When he offered that getting full bonuses for ranged attacks as burst and such, this is not a bad ruling; it actually makes more sense than the current set-up (like burst-firing a pulse laser weapon cuts your bonuses in half for no reason other than multiple laser blasts come from the barrel - faster than your eye can perceive them).

But the guy was being a rooster - you gotta sit your friend down and tell him that if he were a good friend he wouldn't force you to run your game his way, and would play so that the entire group was having fun - not just himself.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Madcow9000 wrote:keep in mind this guy is 32 years old and thinks he is a warlock in real life.

Earth, Air, Fire, or Water? :P
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

SkyeFyre wrote:Earth, Air, Fire, or Water? :P

HEART!

By your powers combined...
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Madcow9000 wrote:
keep in mind this guy is 32 years old and thinks he is a warlock in real life.

Until you said his age I would have guessed that he was more like 12. Anyway it sounds like he has some issues to say the least. I'd suggest that you inform him the "friendship" is over, tell him not to come by your place and block his phone number if you can.
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

This person is extremely insecure.

To them, roleplaying and GMing is a way to feel superior (without justification) and to also to feel in charge.

Even as a player, they want to control things by telling you how to run your game.

They have repeatedly tried to manipulate you for their own selfish gain.

Absolutely do not give in. Absolutely do not let them have their way, not even a little bit. Do not compromise and be quite firm in your stance. Leave no room for doubt in their mind that you are inflexible in this. If they can't abide by your rules and the conditions you set, refuse to discuss it with them. Period. There can be no room for flexibility when dealing with this person.

If it were me, I would toss them out of the game and discontinue my association with them. They sound like very damaged goods and not the sort that is healthy to be near.

By the way, it sounds like you may be beginning to become a pretty decent GM in your own right. It seems that your bad expereince has taught you very well what not to do. Once you've mastered the rules, you'll be able to see more clearly where they need to be tweaked and improved upon (as opposed to ignored outright).

Carry on and keep up the good work.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

Cybermancer wrote:If it were me, I would toss them out of the game and discontinue my association with them. They sound like very damaged goods and not the sort that is healthy to be near.

Drugs could not make me that unhinged! :eek:

Dude, run away from this guy. Hell, you might want to call his family, and see if he's off meds... :-?
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

The disruptive player/GM should be taken aside, asked the simplest Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot is-he-doing question, and if he doesn't give a satisfactory answer, he's booted. Gone. Outta there. No more Rifts for you! Until he plays *smartly*.

Until then, give him a taste of his own medicine.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

I had a similar problem a years ago.
I led the other players in a revolt: we started by quoting rules right out of the book, ignoring anything harmful that his villains did to us, outright saying said villains were just dead and continuing on, and ended with me taking over the game after making him leave almost in tears with that behavior.
Actually, it was that gm and two others that made me the rules lawyer I am today.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Hearing these stories about Bad GMs is very sad and probably responsible for why our hobby has suffered such losses in popularity. However, as an agnostic I would have to get my popcorn bowl and watch the Warlock vs. the Christians battle it out over "truth."

Being a GM is hard. It's a tough line between keeping the player's challenged vs. boring cakewalks vs. uninspired dice rolling vs. TPK so I have a lot of sympathy for GMs, but this nutjob was obviously not a team player.

My rule on gaming groups is very simple - everyone is there to have fun with one another. If someone is there with a different agenda, they get ejected or I leave.

No gaming is better than bad gaming.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

You don't know what you got till it's gone! Our GM went away for for the summer a few years back I took over for him, but I didn't enjoy it at all way too much work for me. Sometimes its hard find someone who wants to be a GM so I say either replace him or learn to like his style, its not an easy job from my experience.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

Mark Hall wrote:

HEART!

That had to be the best possible response!! :lol: That made my day (sad, I know...)

Anyway, I'm glad everything's cleared up it seems, and grats on the new campaign.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Fyrpower
Explorer

Unread post by Fyrpower »

Mark Hall wrote:

HEART!

Mark you should be banned for really bad jokes! :P
"Arrogance is a poor man's confidence"

"Only when I lose myself with someone else, that I find I myself"

"You eat to live, not live to eat!"
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Fyrpower wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

HEART!

Mark you should be banned for really bad jokes! :P

I ain't leaving so long as Riko is allowed to roam free.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”