"I run down the hallway laughing like a lunatic!!!"

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: "I run down the hallway laughing like a lunatic!!!"

Unread post by Mack »

A couple of thoughts:

In game - The other characters need to explain the facts of life to the Crazy. If he's going to be part of the team, then he has to be part of the team.

Out of game - The other players (and you) need to explain the facts of life to the player. He also needs to re-read the OCC and understand the character is not a buffoon (unless that's his personality).
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Let him die a few times. Once he's tired of character creation, explain the facts of life to him as they apply to the game at hand. Roleplaying a crazy as crazy is fine, being stupid about it will get him dead though.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

You know, I made this mistake with a Cyber-Knight when I started gaming with a new group.

I went off in a motorcycle to investigate a transport that had just crashed (thinking it had been shot down by missile).

I crested the ridge, just in time to see 6 Brodkil with heavy Plasma weapons, rip the last occupant of the transport apart in 6 different directions. They then spot me, and before I can leave (bad Dodge roll), they total my bike.

My character survived, but only by staying down, waiting for help to arrive, and faking a distress call to the local Coalition SAMAS unit (I was wearing a "liberated" suit of Coalition armor).

Moral of the story?
Just because you leave the safety of the group, doesn't mean the villians will.
And if you go looking for trouble, surprise! You'll find it... :wink:
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Rifts...The Darwin Awards with Tac-Nukes...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Madcow9000 wrote: I don't want to kill this character

Get over it.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Madcow9000 wrote: I don't want to kill this character

Get over it.

You're not killing his character.
His antics are the cause of his suicidal demise. :twisted:
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Alejandro,

unfortunantly there are some people who seem to get off on having their character killed due to stupidity. I know this because I have had just that sort of character in my last Rifts group. They are the sort of person that you want to maim IRL.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Astral_Explorer
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Astral_Explorer »

Well I agree with a lot of you in regaurds to insanity in role playing.
Sadly most who play Malkavians or in this case Crazies see it as a license to play looney or funny.
RUE sadly reinforces that on page 58. Also the depiction of the Crazy in Machinations of Doom
reinforces this view of Crazies. So he might be picking up on the que's mentioned in these canon
books.

I liked the comic quite a bit though machinations being an official Rifts comic kind of does set somewhat
of a president.
Proud Member of the Coalition States Postal Service !!!

demos606
Hero

Ever see Firefly? Willow is a good example of a not **** insane crazy.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Cyrano de Maniac
D-Bee

Unread post by Cyrano de Maniac »

Novastar wrote:I went off in a motorcycle to investigate a transport that had just crashed (thinking it had been shot down by missile).

I crested the ridge, just in time to see 6 Brodkil with heavy Plasma weapons, rip the last occupant of the transport apart in 6 different directions. They then spot me, and before I can leave (bad Dodge roll), they total my bike.

My character survived, but only by staying down, waiting for help to arrive, and faking a distress call to the local Coalition SAMAS unit (I was wearing a "liberated" suit of Coalition armor).

Moral of the story?
Just because you leave the safety of the group, doesn't mean the villians will.

This is perhaps a little bit OT, but you know what I love about that, particularly the last sentence? It's realistic. It seems in too many games, Rifts or otherwise, GMs let players get by with really stupid decisions, and play the enemies even slightly stupider than the PCs, so as not to wear out the dice re-rolling characters too often.

However, in this case a PC makes an unwise decision, then gets himself out of it with extreme caution and quick thinking. The bad guys behave intelligently, and (I assume) the GM makes it really suspenseful, with the player quite concerned that their character is about to take a dirt nap, not relying on the GM to tip the scales in their favor. I love stuff like this. I wish I could play with such GMs (and players) more often.

Brent
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

demos606 wrote:Ever see Firefly? Willow is a good example of a not **** insane crazy.

River, actually.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
demos606
Hero

Whoops, yeah, I meant river .... blasted multitasking *sigh*
Kryzbyn
Hero
Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

HAHAHAHA
Just had a mental image of Warwick Davis with mom-conversion wearing a dress killing reavers...thanks for that :P

BAD MOMMA DOG-FACE BANANA PATCH
"Well said, Kryzbyn! :ok: " -Killer Cyborg
"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
+100 "acting like a real man" points - DLDC
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
HIPPIES ARE WHAT D-BEES EAT
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

It sounds like a communication problem.

Depending on the tone of the game, such actions would be fine. It sounds here that the GM and the player have different viewpoints on what a Crazy is like in the GM's setting. That happens so everybody just needs to talk about it at the table so everyone knows what the parameters are. If you are going to play with a less cinematic, more tactical realism, then so be it...as long as all the players know the repercussions of their actions.

I run lots of convention one-shots and the first thing I do is talk about tone and atmosphere and my expectations. The players get it when I say I am going for a Black Hawk Down vs. Matrix vs. He-Man for the style of play. Without that initial discussion, there is no frame of reference for the players. The "level of realism" is an extremely important discussion for every game. At the Open House, I ran Rifts Rapa Nui and I told them that I was going for Star Wars style cinematic heroics so actions happened that never would have been okay if I said I was going for a Battlestar Galactica grittiness.

Also, nobody should ever run any game whatsoever without going over the PCs before the game. Especially in Rifts!!! Its bad enough in point based games and other "balanced" games where tweaking happens. But Rifts??? You bet that the GM must have a thumbs up / thumbs down authority on chargen. Some OCCs are just not right for some storylines you wish to explore.

Plus for players there is that old proverb: Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Carzies are actually really good tragic charecters to play. I played one that rolled phobia and had to keep pumping heiron into his systm to be able to go into battle as that would alivate his phobias. He killed his wife thinkng she was a vampire (he was a vampire hunter) had a lot of fun playing a drunk drug addicted guilt ridden man clinging on to his sanity after having become something inhuman to fight it. He died a very glourious death killing a AI trying to destroy the CS and retired to Vlahalla where he was one of Odin's Einherger
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

I agree that the Crazy makes a wonderful tragic hero.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

With all this love for the tragic crazy, I really hope "Mind Over Matter" makes it into the first anthology.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

where did they pull the sories from anyway? I assumed they were new?
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Library Ogre

csbioborg wrote:where did they pull the sories from anyway? I assumed they were new?

Mine was new. I assume the others wrote something new, or recycled something that hadn't been published before.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
csbioborg
Champion

and Mind over Matter is your story and its about crazies then I take it
Library Ogre

A crazy, but yes.

All Palladium Articles
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

You should maim him the next time he does that. If he doesn't get the clue then, then off with his head. :twisted:
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

All this name calling of the person in question seems to me that some of you are just a little too judgemental and should understand that.Even if this player is causing a minor problem.Roleplaying is supposed to be fun.Not a" I don't like the way this guy or girl roleplayes their character."thing.Look I'm sorry if I offend anybody. But telling another gm that their player is dumb or stupid is not going to help them.
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.

Return to “Rifts®”