Nobility and Titles question...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Nobility and Titles question...

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Here's a pressing question for all you Palladium Fantasy people...

A widowed Countess marries a King (her second marrige, his first).

1) What is her title (countess or queen)?
2) When the considerably older King dies, will she automatically become sovereign, or would rulership pass to one of the King's other realitives (like a brother, cousin, or nephew/niece)?

Thanks, all!
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: Nobility and Titles question...

Unread post by Natasha »

1) Both. But she's named Queen.
2) Depends upon rules of succession in the monarchy, and what power brokers have in mind. Yay for bloody power struggles.
Braden Campbell

1. She is a born noble
2. No. The King has been a bachelor for the past 76 years and has no heir.
3. The Free City of Worldgate, on Wormwood
Braden, GMPhD

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

1. She would be named queen.
2. If there is no heir born of the kind the rulership will fall to the next "blood" relative. Which is why nobility depends on Heirs to retain familial control of a territory.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Did the king have any siblings? If so, rulership would fall to one of them after his death. If not, then she is QUEEN! I've actually had this situation with an NPC in my game, the current ruler of the city state in which my characters are based (a city of my own creation called Peacehope), became ruler when her husband, the former ruler, died. He had a son, but the populace of the city voted her in because he was an untrustworthy lout. This has lead to her and her step-son having many issues. Adds some spice to my games, on occasion.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Braden Campbell

So she would be commonly refered to as "the Queen of Worldgate". Excellent.

Look for her in Rifter #43.
Braden, GMPhD

Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Being commonly refered to as Queen isn't necessarily the same thing. If she became married to the king, but was in the line of succession for another throne, AND the country she married into had a tradition/possibility of reigning queens, then her title might be "Princess Consort", or something similar... indicating that she is royal, but out of the line of succession (though her offspring may be).

However, there would be times when she would be Countess, not whatever her other titles may bear. If she's the ruler (for lack of a better term) of a county in her own right (i.e. the current holder of the succession), then she would properly sign documents as Countess when acting as the ruler of that county, as opposed to the ruler of the nation, though she would include those titles afterwards.

And that assumes they follow a European model.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Leave it to Mark Hall to clear up muddy waters by adding more mud! :D
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Mark Hall wrote:And that assumes they follow a European model.
I don't. They're too skinny. :P
Library Ogre

Natasha wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:And that assumes they follow a European model.
I don't. They're too skinny. :P

Ouch. Pull in the claws, kitty. :lol:

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
GA
Explorer
Comment: Master of Dirk Diggler Style

Unread post by GA »

Um...I thought Free Cities weren't ruled by nobles. That's why they are called Free or freeholdings. I mean obviously the queen rules a free city in her kingdom but she wouldn't rule a free city as a kingdom (Kingdom as City-State). a city state kingdom would be considered a Principality I believe, or possibly something other name but it would never be called a Kingdom of the Free City of whatever. Nor would the ruler maintain a residence (castle) there, nor grant noble titles/holdings over a free city. Right?
You kill my dog I'ma slay yo cat-Flava Flav, Terminator X to the Edge of Panic, 1988
A man's gotta know his limitations-Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, 1973
No good deed goes unpunished-Clare Booth Luce
Braden Campbell

Well, according to Wormwood, page 38, Worldgate has a King. His name is Luke Shrombek. There is also a Ruling Council of some kind, which sure sounds like a monarchy to me.

In this case, I believe "Free City" actually means "Independant City-state", as in it is not a part of the Cathedral, Ezud, Reortith Province, or the Dark Domains. Also, as is being fleshed out in the Wormwood Addenda, Worldgate is actually run by the 9 Lords of the Exchequer... they simply created the position of King about 900 years ago so that they would be free to presue their own mysterious agenda.
Braden, GMPhD

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What size of land do each Noble title gets?

What is the Differences between the Noblility of each Kingdom?
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Okay a way old thread, but since it has been brought up I will throw in my 2 cents for the heck of it.

Depending on the country some would name her Princess (example, Queen Elizabeth and her husband Prince Philip). Some would name her queen. In general she is not eligible to inherit the crown in the event of the death of her spouse. It is basically only blood relatives in most cases. Even if there was no direct decendant of the reigning sovereign it would likely be passed to a cousin, sibling, nephew, etc.

Example countess marries king, king has a living nephew who is a duke (title doesn't matter, but lets just call him a duke), no other living 1st order or 2nd order relatives. The kind dies in battle leaving no heir of his body, the queen/princess could not hold the crown as she is not blood related to the kind, the nephew would be corinated as the new king.

Other example, there is a child of the marriage between the king and countess. The kind dies before the crown prince is eligible to hold the crown. The queen or princess depending on her title would generally hold regency for the crown prince or likely be the head of a regency council (though in some countries women couldn't do any kind of ruling no matter their title, so they might have been excluded from that entirely). Upon their entry to adulthood the child would be named king. The countess title would have been queen/pricess, upon the death of her husband she would then become the dowager queen or dowager pricess indicating that she doesn't have a right to rule on her title, or she may revert to countess, her old title.

Same thing happens with other titles of nobility. If I was an earl and a commoner married me, or even say lady of minor nobility married me upon my death she would change from being the countess (female version of earl in England) to being the dowager countess and my son would be known as the Earl of Maryland. In some countries she would lose title altogether, especially if we had no children and the title went to another relative like a cousin or sibling. In the event of my death, unless ruling as regent for a minor child she would have no claim to rule my realm or lands of my title upon my death. While alive she would have the right to rule in my absence.
-Matt
Braden Campbell

azazel1024 wrote:Okay a way old thread, but since it has been brought up

It's Halloween... the one day of the year when dead threads return to walk amongst the living ;)
Braden, GMPhD

azazel1024
Champion

Braden Campbell wrote:
azazel1024 wrote:Okay a way old thread, but since it has been brought up

It's Halloween... the one day of the year when dead threads return to walk amongst the living ;)

:lol:

To true.
-Matt
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Braden Campbell wrote:Here's a pressing question for all you Palladium Fantasy people...

A widowed Countess marries a King (her second marriage, his first).

1) What is her title (countess or queen)?
2) When the considerably older King dies, will she automatically become sovereign, or would rulership pass to one of the King's other relatives (like a brother, cousin, or nephew/niece)?

Thanks, all!

If the country is following the medieval inheritance laws then
1) unless she has absolutely no male relatives and her husband has no male relatives, she would not be a countess, only a lady.(Basically no woman ruled unless there were no male claimants to be found, even bastard claimants ranked above any female claimant)
If he married her as a full equal, sharing his sovereignty, then she would be The Queen. If he didn't share his title then she would be technically a Princess Consort, but could still be called the queen.(no caps)[the current Queen of England is married to the Prince Consort "Prince Philip"]

2) If she is The Queen (note the caps) then she would already be a sovereign, but she would still have to face the male claimants / pretenders of the throne (rebellion and war of assassins). If she is a Princes Consort, she would stand fully outside the line of succession, but might be a prize of the those seeking the throne.

In the medieval times noble women only had what power they were give by their father's and then their husband's, or what they could manipulate their father's and husband's into doing.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
azazel1024
Champion

As I mentioned though, women only ruled in the absence of their husband or possibly children, say in the example of the a dowager pricess (IE mother of the king) if the king was unmarried and off to war. This was powered granted by husband/son/father.

Women ruling as sovereign or even holding primary title was rare outside of England, and didn't happen in England to often even. Yes it happened, but the total number of Queens or Empresses holding the ultimate sovereignty in a country probably ran to about 1 in 8 through out history and for those of more minor titles probably not much better (IE 1 woman holding it for every man who did).
-Matt
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

sword-dancer wrote:EMPRESS Theophanu ruled the German Empire together with her Husband OttoII and after his death till her death for her son Otto III, after her death her Stepmother EMPRESS Adelheid ruled till he was grown up.
And their was Male relatives at hand.

Eleanor of Aquitaine ruled in her own right marrying two kings, or think on Margarete Atterdag Queen of Skandinavia

2 Difference to male rulers?

ho do you think ruled the fiefs when the men where on war, crusade or dead ..., who managed the business when see above

Yes, there were exceptions.

Except for the exceptions, Their husbands gave them the authority to do so. To say it a bit differently 'they ruled in their husband's name, not their own.'
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

The main reason for that was that women could not legally hold property and only had the rights their husbands gave them.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

In Spain, though male primacy was the practice, women could fully inherit. Its one reason for the Spanish practice of multiple family names, which include the matrilineal, as part of one's full name as opposed to the English practice of only taking the father's family name.
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

1. I think it would be both countess and queen. But, the title would depend on said king, if he chose to make her queen.

2. Basically, it is your call! But, if he has brothers or cousins or the like there could be a play for power.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Library Ogre

To expand on this a little bit:

Remember that many royals and nobles will have multiple titles. For example, the full style of Princess Di was "Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales & Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness of Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland." She was, technically, princess of Wales & Scotland, Duchess of Cornwall and Rothesay, Countess of Carrick and Chester, Baroness of Renfrew, and Lady of the Isles, all at the same time, in the same person. She would usually be referred to as Princess because that was her highest title, but she might act, at some point, as Baroness Renfrew, and thus sign documents in that name.

All Palladium Articles
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Mark Hall wrote:To expand on this a little bit:

Remember that many royals and nobles will have multiple titles. For example, the full style of Princess Di was "Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales & Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness of Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland." She was, technically, princess of Wales & Scotland, Duchess of Cornwall and Rothesay, Countess of Carrick and Chester, Baroness of Renfrew, and Lady of the Isles, all at the same time, in the same person. She would usually be referred to as Princess because that was her highest title, but she might act, at some point, as Baroness Renfrew, and thus sign documents in that name.

She let me call her Di. :bandit:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Library Ogre

The Dark Elf wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:To expand on this a little bit:

She let me call her Di. :bandit:

Well, she was "The People's Princess".

(I have no idea. I read the Wiki because she was the first royal to come to mind.)

All Palladium Articles
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Well, to go to the extreme....

Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart of Spain, has the most noble tittles of anyone in the world. She is simultaneously:

18th Duchess of Alba de Tormes
11th Duchess of Berwick
Duchess of Arjona
Duchess of Híjar
11th Duchess of Liria and Jérica
14th Countess-Duchess of Olivares
Marchioness of El Carpio
Countess of Aranda
Countess of Lemos
Countess of Lerín and Condestablesa of Navarra
Countess of Miranda del Castañar
Countess of Monterrey
Countess of Osorno
Countess of Palma del Río
12th Marchioness of la Algaba
Marchioness of Almenara
14th Marchioness of Barcarrota
Marchioness of Castaneda
19th Marchioness of Coria
Marchioness of Eliche
Marchioness of Mirallo
Marchioness of la Mota
Marchioness of Moya
Marchioness of Orani
Marchioness of Osera
Marchioness of San Leonardo
Marchioness of Sárria
Marchioness of Tarazona
Marchioness of Valdunquillo
Marchioness of Villanueva del Fresno
Marchioness of Villanueva del Río
Countess of Villalba
Countess of San Esteban de Gormaz
Countess of Santa Cruz de la Sierra
Countess of Andrade
Countess of Ayala
Countess of Casarrubios del Monte
Countess of Fuentes de Valdepero
Countess of Fuentidueña
Countess of Galve
Countess of Gelves
Countess of Ribadeo
Viscountess of la Calzada
and 29th Dame of Moguer.

And mind you....this is after she gave each of her six kids some of her titles for their own. Generally, though, she goes by her highest tittle, that of Duchess of Alba.
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
azazel1024
Champion

As both of us have already said, yes there are exceptions, that was not the rule until fairly recently. Some medieval societies allowed women full equality in holding titles and ruling, most did not.

Also she never ruled in her own name. She was Emperess crowned when her husband was crowned holy roman emperor. Her son Otto the II succeeded his father when Otto I died. Later Adelaide was appointed Co-regent with Theophano (wife of Otto the II and mother of Otto III).

She was an emperess in her own name, but she never excerted imperial power on her own.

Theophano had lots of machinations, but she never ruled the holy roman empire, she was wife to Otto the II and mother of Otto the III (and co-regent and later regent for him).

I assume you are refering to Emperess Adelaide and Princess Theophano.

Plenty of women who ruled, look at Queen Elizabeth. It was still the exception, not the rule.
-Matt
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Definitely exceptions, but frequent enough to warrant mention and viable options for how a scenario in an RPG might play out.
azazel1024
Champion

I figured, to many spellings. For the ruling, they probably did co-rule, but if she was regent for her son, that sounds to me like she was not able to rule without her husband even if she had equal authority as the co-secular and temporal head of the holy roman empire.
-Matt

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”