Campaing Setting - strict adeherence?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Iczer
Prince of Powers

Re: Campaing Setting - strict adeherence?

Unread post by Iczer »

never let a few pages written by a stranger derail a perfectly good idea you have for friends.

As long as you are following the feel of the campaign, then do as thou wilt.

My ATB campaign has: Mutant fungal humanoids that ride mutant hunting spiders as mounts while flinging internally brewed chemical weapons. a sewer city populated by (mostly) mutant goldfish, not one but 3 'empires of humanity', one of which has started production of proto-crazies, while another is in fact mutant pigs that think they are human due to being raised by an insane Artificial Intelligence. Wandering sanitiser robots, and a cult of crystal manipulating monks.
None of these are canon as far as the book goes, but they all seemed like good ideas at the time so they got thrown in.

I use a bottom up design process, using the character's as the primary lynchpins for world design. If I get submissions for a fantasy setting and there are no eleves in the party, I might be tempted to say they don't exist, or are things of myth and memory. I am as likely to pull setting out of my arse at character creation stage as much as anything.

And, if I should stumble across an idea that sounds cool, I'll put it in that campaign's notebook, and wait for a good time to give it a reveal.

As a result, a lot of my campaigns are put togeher in a hurry, (though I am not above throwing a stored idea out to start characters concepts rolling or to pique interest) made up on the spot and ironed flat between games.

After the bomb and heroes unlimited allow me to get away with a lot. Rifts falls over itself and has never gelled well with me. I ran a mechanoids game very successfully with the idea that the PC's had caught a virus that stopped their ageing. I used Nigthbane to launch a psychics unlimited campaign that lasted 4 years. I have had ATB style mutants in Splicers and I have never run Palladium fantasy on the actual palladium continent.

So yeah, I play fast and loose. I consider it an ongoing exercise in creativity.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
count zero
Explorer
Comment: I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Unread post by count zero »

D_Davis wrote:I typically use an official campaign setting as a guideline. I pick the parts I like, ditch the parts I don't.

My thoughts exactly :ok:

Ø
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

D_Davis wrote:the first scenario has the heroes up against a cult of crazy bovine who have developed the taste for human flesh. The cows are farming humans, and the heroes have to infiltrate the bovine-operated human-flesh meat packing plant..

OMG I love this. [=swipe][/swipe]

Consider the lead Cattle mutant christened Davis.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

I love Palladium Games settings, but I once ran a game that used Mecha from almost every book I have and divided them up between the major govenments of the world today and fought WWIII with the players. Talk about a blast!

So. No, I guess I don't always hold to the Campaign Settings. :D
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

For the mental health of all those willing to join the game, I must stick to the book.
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."

Return to “G.M.s Forum”